• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow, didn't realize there was a physical. well that upped it's value at retail. Will look into it a bit more methinks.

Sep 28, 2018
How's the level design / variety? I actually thought the level design of Hollow Knight was convoluted and too "samey" and I prefer games that mix things up.

It's the polar opposite of Hollow Knight, all locations are uniquely themed with fitting art and music. If you can imagine the traditional Zelda game style of towns, exploration and themed puzzle-y dungeons in a 2D plane you've kinda got Monster Boy.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
It's the polar opposite of Hollow Knight, all locations are uniquely themed with fitting art and music. If you can imagine the traditional Zelda game style of towns, exploration and themed puzzle-y dungeons in a 2D plane you've kinda got Monster Boy.

That's much more my style. I don't think Hollow Knight is bad as it controls like a dream and the sound design is maybe the best I've ever heard in a game, but almost every level looks the same.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the comparisons to Hollow Knight are puzzling to me. It's not the same type of game at all and the two games don't have the same design priorities.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Huh, this had gone completely under my radar, guess I should try it.

I've never played anything in this series, should I just start with this, or at least play that recent remake for a bit of context?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
So why couldn't they just have called this Wonder Boy? They include music and other elements from the series.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
So why couldn't they just have called this Wonder Boy? They include music and other elements from the series.

Sega owns the Wonder Boy name, but the developer owns the rights to the games themselves (which is why some of the Wonder Boy games were ported to other consoles under different names). Since Sega wasn't involved in this, they can't use the Wonder Boy name, but can still use elements from other games in the series.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Looks great and loved the first one. But I think you're forgetting that Hollow Knight is the best Metroidvania styled game we've seen in years.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I like it but thought it dragged on a bit too long. (I'm near the end now)

A lot of the modern Metroidvania's are just way too long. Super Metroid is ideal lengthwise.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I like it but thought it dragged on a bit too long. (I'm near the end now)

A lot of the modern Metroidvania's are just way too long. Super Metroid is ideal lengthwise.

I kind of agree, but I also think if they made it shorter people would complain it's too short. Honestly I'm really enjoying my time with it so I can't complain that it's a bit on the long side. It's especially that some of the later dungeons (Volcano and Mansion) are kind of convoluted in their execution. There's this illusion of openendedness (is that a word) but there's really only a single path you must follow.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
I kind of agree, but I also think if they made it shorter people would complain it's too short. Honestly I'm really enjoying my time with it so I can't complain that it's a bit on the long side. It's especially that some of the later dungeons (Volcano and Mansion) are kind of convoluted in their execution. There's this illusion of openendedness (is that a word) but there's really only a single path you must follow.
Id rather it be a long experience..

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I'm playing it right now, and enjoying it immensely. It's my first Monster Boy -I know the franchise for a while, but I never had the chance to get one of them. I always wanted to play Monster Boy IV.

I just defeated the Undead Wizard boss. It was hard!

The game's clock says that I played 17 hours and a half, with 84.7% of the map explored, and 63% of the completition, but I know that I played more than 20 hours. Weird :/

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I adored this game. I just wish I played it in 2018 so I had time to put it on my best of 2018 list. Regardless, any word of the soundtrack going on sale at any time? I'd love to support the game further with a purchase of the music--plus the soundtrack is one of my faves from last year's crop of titles.

Dark-VIII

Oct 27, 2017
I adored this game. I just wish I played it in 2018 so I had time to put it on my best of 2018 list. Regardless, any word of the soundtrack going on sale at any time? I'd love to support the game further with a purchase of the music--plus the soundtrack is one of my faves from last year's crop of titles.
i asked the team on twitter and unfortunately there's no plans currently for releasing the soundtrack separately as it requires some license

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they won't be releasing a soundtrack. There was sort of an implicit blessing to upload the music on YouTube, so it's available there and it won't be taken down. Too bad we can't pay them for it, though, because it's so good.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I picked this up based on this thread. I just got the frog form.

It's been OK so far - I personally don't care for the music, especially in the early areas. The map can be a bit obtuse when it comes to doors you didn't go through, which makes remembering where they were a bit frustrating. I'm expecting as I open up all the forms' repertoire it'll get more interesting. I'll certainly finish it.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
How is the navigation/fast travel system? I.e: is it anything like the horribleness of the system in Hollow Knight?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
How is the navigation/fast travel system? I.e: is it anything like the horribleness of the system in Hollow Knight?
It's really easy to fast travel after a certain point. There are warp points in every area, and eventually you even get access to a weapon that works kind of like a scroll of town portal in Diablo (i.e. it's two away from wherever you are).

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to imagine entering the field area, hearing the music, and not having a massive smile on your face.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they won't be releasing a soundtrack. There was sort of an implicit blessing to upload the music on YouTube, so it's available there and it won't be taken down. Too bad we can't pay them for it, though, because it's so good.
Ahh that's disappointing to hear. Did they say why? It's too many composers involved? The YouTube music is fine, but it doesn't fade out cleanly, and I wanted to pay them for the soundtrack, anyway...

Oct 25, 2017
All the comparisons to Hollow Knight are puzzling to me. It's not the same type of game at all and the two games don't have the same design priorities.
It's because of the title. Bu-bu-but Hollow Knight is the best metroidvania in years!!

It's weird to imagine entering the field area, hearing the music, and not having a massive smile on your face.

Also, look at that pig's run animation. GOTY.

In addition to the convenient teleporting, the powers you gain as you progress usually make traversing previous areas much, much faster and easier. So when you're going back for that chest you couldn't open before or whatever, it never feels like a waste of time.

Sep 28, 2018
What is Wonder boy iv on? Are the Sega master system and megadrive ones worth playing today too?

I'm an idiot, I meant to say Monster World IV, (these names are confusing!) Monster World IV is available on the Megadrive/Genesis. However, not translated in English - except for some translated Rom hacks. The best way to play the English Translation is Wii Virtual Console, XBLA or PSN.
It's my favourite game in the series and it's quite a challenge.

mwiv.jpg

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
It looks pretty good but not feeling the Shantae-style level design (lots of flat areas of open space). Will probably get this on sale though as I love me some well-made metroidvania.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty good but not feeling the Shantae-style level design (lots of flat areas of open space). Will probably get this on sale though as I love me some well-made metroidvania.

It actually has deceptively complex level design. The world is filled to the brim with well hidden secrets. Level/world design is actually a highlight here. I had the same concerns you did and I was VERY wrong.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
It's really solid and obviously gorgeous.

For comparison's sake (not implying quality, just differences), the overall world is much more linear than an exploration heavy game like Hollow Knight and more puzzley than fighty although there's plenty of combat throughout. It's a stance-switcher where swapping between forms in the moment is necessary to access various abilities and solve puzzles.

I really enjoyed my time with it and highly recommend it for fans of the genre. Only knocks against it in my playthrough is some areas really drag on and a few were way too puzzley especially towards the end (ghost house and castle).

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little late on this but damn this game is good. Got caught playing for 4 hours yesterday and couldn't put it down. Extremely well done. I have never played a game in this series before and seriously impressed.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry I spoke too soon on this game. The Volcano Temple is some of the worst platform game design I have ever experienced. It's absolute bullshit and almost game breaking at how garbage it is. Cheap, trial and error crap with non logical puzzle solving. Fuck this dungeon and this game.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry I spoke too soon on this game. The Volcano Temple is some of the worst platform game design I have ever experienced. It's absolute bullshit and almost game breaking at how garbage it is. Cheap, trial and error crap with non logical puzzle solving. Fuck this dungeon and this game.

Yeah this area and the mansion area were a real drag.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get the hate for the Volcano.
Despite it taking nods from Tropical Freeze in ways, I thought it was some of the best platforming and puzzles in the game.

Oct 27, 2017
The volcano section was seemingly a bit longer than the other sections. And the mansion was old-school figure-out-what-to-do-on-your-own. Refreshing if not initially bristling. But overall still very enjoyable!