• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I happily tossed my entire collection of DVDs, books, etc years ago and haven't regretted it once. (Games are the only exception since I need them for work and many don't exist elsewhere legally, although Ido buy purely digital these days)

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Does software exist that tracks which service / medium you own a movie on? I've got a bunch of DVDs/Blurays that I'd love to digitize but I don't wanna pay extra to do them in Vudu so I would rip and host them myself. Everything else (with very rare exceptions like Star Wars movies I'll get 4K disc) I am buying via iTunes or Movies Anywhere codes.

So it'd be nice for me to look up quickly (more so for my wife/kids) how to access a movie (iTunes vs NAS vs physical only).

I suppose I could maintain my own spreadsheet, but what's the fun in that? :)

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I left almost all of my dvds at my parents house. So I just have a small collection of films on bluray+4k that I add a couple to per year. I haven't bought any physical music in 15 years. Games wise it's a mix. That vast majority of my library is on PC/Steam, so what I purchase physically is often console exclusive stuff, and/or what people buy me as gifts. No one in my family likes buying digital things when it comes to birthdays and Xmas, so I doubt I'll ever go full digital. At least not any time soon.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
MakeMKV, Plex, NAS.

Rip them, stream digitally, back them up to a low cost data storage server.

Then just keep the few you absolutely want, donate the rest to your local library.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Movies are the only thing I really regret buying though I never bought that many. Unless I REALLY like a movie, I don't need to see it twice. Plus with streaming and digital stores no one really wants to borrow a DVD.

I still buy vinyl records and books though. I love vinyl due to the large art and supporting the artist, and books are nice because you can lend them to people and show how freaking smart you are when people visit your home.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what Spectrum does here, but every night the internet goes out for at least an hour, usually more, at around quarter after midnight. Drives me nuts since Hulu and Netflix goes with it, so I end up watching something on disc.
Woof! I have comcast and lately it'll just give out for a few hours randomly. There's been a lot of construction around us so I'm thinking that's the culprit. It's super frustrating when I just want veg after work.

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
I realized that during PS2 era. I had so many games taking way too much space. I moved to steam because of it! It was only on 2012 that I bought a PS3 and went full digital with it, with exceptions for sweet physical deals.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer physical because of ownership. I got around the space thing by just ripping my movies to my Plex server. All the benefits of digital, but with higher quality, and no DRM.

What the hell are kids that aren't even born yet going to want with a blue ray collection in 15-20 years anyway? Imagine if your dad handed you a VHS or cassette tape music collection when you were like 15 lol

You're making me feel old. When I was 15 VHS was still about as big as DVD.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I got rid of most of my books and games/movies. I kept the ones I wanted in DVD sleeve cases. No point in having the case, really. I'm very much over displaying my collection.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rewatching my blu-rays and listening to my CD collection, so I can see which ones are expendable. Surprisingly, the Aladdin copy sold for $30 on ebay.

Physical movies are somewhat useful for when the internet is down or if you're going to your grandmother's house.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind having 4k blu rays so I can have the best fidelity in video and audio, and with the way that streaming services have content come and go, I've curated my collection only to have movies I really really like.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
My personal films and music are in trapper keepers no joke. I have a few special edition sets that I've kept in their boxes and they're on display in my room.

I understand where your coming from though when my family got our new house my mom and sister still have everything in cases so it was kinda a bitch to pack. We have so many dvds my house is basically a mini blockbuster.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
For games I prefer physical if it is all on disc or cartridge. So I still like PS3, 360, and DS/3DS/Switch to be physical as well as anything before them. For the most recent gen though it's not fun to collect for. There are never any interesting manuals or anything along those lines. Some collectors editions and limited runs are cool, but they are rare.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's especially noticeable when you have a small room. The only physical media I buy these days (at least consistently) are blu-rays, because digital movies are compressed to all hell and look significantly worse.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid I used to record shows and movies onto VHS cassettes, bought new tapes every other week. Then someone told me those tapes would not last more than 1 or 2 decades, that they would dissolve. Coupled with the fact our VHS recorder's head started scraping onto the tapes and that was quite the revelation for me, that nothing lasts forever...so I stopped doing it and never really collected anything physical anymore. Thanks faulty VHS recorder for the early wakeup!

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I got rid of all my cd/dvd/bluray/game cases and put everything in binders late last generation. What used to take up two giant bookshelves now fits neatly under one of my end tables.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I still like physical games, although I buy a lot of games digitally, too. It annoys me to look at "obsolete" games (i.e. games that have a better edition available, like I'm not going to play Bioshock Infinite on the 360 when I can play a much better version on my PC, a lot of my 360/PS3 collection is "obsolete") on my shelf, so I want to throw those in a storage bin at some point

But other media? Fuck that noise. I've probably bought a half dozen books/movies/TV show/albums physically in as many years. I don't care to own that stuff physically. My book shelf and CD shelf are 90% old ass shit that I should probably just toss, only reason I'm keeping it around is sentimental value.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Realistically what should I expect per Blu-ray Disc on eBay

Weighing the option of either selling the whole thang, or just recycling the boxes and keeping everything.

But, I AM DEFINTIELY NEVER BUYING ANOTHER DISC AGAIN

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
With disc rot I really need to start ripping movies, seems an impossible task though. I think I have 400 blu Ray's, how the fuck am I gonna store that?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand peoples fears over digital but good lord I hate the physical games I do have.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have >4x as many movies as you and I regret nothing.
Many, many times more games. Downloads become much more attractive late in a gen, though, so almost no new physical games lately.
Going all-digital at the beginning of a gen is just dumb. There are no digital sales worth mentioning then, but BOGO and B2G1 sales still apply to physical games for new platforms.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Aside from everything else, it's also not good for the environment. There's just no good excuse anymore since everything is digital.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Most of us reach a point in life where shelves and shelves of physical media in the home suddenly looks naff. You can only carry on collecting for so many years before it becomes an issue. I never thought I'd be someone who made the switch to digital but in the end there wasn't much choice and it's worked out for the best.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
What have y'all done with your physical media?

Sold or donated most of what I had.

Any one ever just recycled/trashed the containers before to slim it down?

Not really. I'd say keep the packaging to sell/trade in.

Any way to cheaply digitized all my films and sell them?

You could use Handbrake to make digital copies of your media.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
I moved across the country in 2012 and had a couple boxes full of Xbox 360 games, dvds, cds etc. I moved back across the country again last year, and literally just put the exact same boxes, never unpacked, on the truck and then put them on a shelf when I got to the new place.

A few weeks later I looked at it, still hadn't unpacked it and took it down to the trash bins in my apartment's garage. Left it beside the bins with a piece of paper saying "free" on it, because I obviously don't need any of it. Don't know if someone bothered to take any of it or if it just got thrown out, and really don't care.

Now I just need to do the same with my bookshelf full of books I haven't reread in 20 years and my Warhammer collection that just sits in a container not being played with or painted or displayed.

In summation, physical stuff sucks and I don't want it anymore. I'm all digital on video games and movies/tv shows now; haven't made the jump in books but I barely read anymore anyway outside of the internet. On the plus side, the next move is going to be much simpler.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just trying to imagine actual real people in 2019 getting up off the sofa to change discs every time they want to play a different game or watch a different movie.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Never really cared about physical movies since the formats improve the experience every few years. For me there's not really a "pure" way to experience a movie and there's always that nagging feeling like they're going to come out with some remastered 32k ultra dolby 14.3 audio setup version on quantum crystals or something. Plus every movie has like a million different variants and versions so which one is definitive that everyone remembers? Ultimately you may as well just stream that shit.

I can see a small argument for audio CDs. There's a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in the act of sitting down and listening to an old favorite CD. Books can be the same way because they're a tangible and unwired method of escaping reality.

I'm personally a huge video game collector because I prefer the tangible memory of inserting an NES cartridge or powering up the PS2 and using a Dualshock 2. The cases, artwork, and discs/cartridges are like a small sliver of my past that I can see, touch, and enjoy just like I did many years ago. Although the effect has a diminishing return since many modern games I have on Steam and I'll skip physical console copies of some of the best titles from this generation as a result.

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
I sold off a majority of my blu-ray collection, just sold them in bulk at a pawn shop because eBay would have been too much of a hassle. I don't regret it one bit. The release of 4K movies were already making my collection feel obsolete, and I didn't want to start all over again. I already had a similarly-sized digital collection and that's what I've stuck with ever since. Since I buy from Apple, a lot of my stuff gets upgraded to 4K too for free which is awesome.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I have almost all of my media digitally now. I have some records and a few UHD DVDs. But almost everything is digital and its great.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I hit this crossroad myself a few years ago. Having to move with all this physical media was a major pain in the ass and I decided to make a concious effort to going digital with my movies, comics, and video games going forward.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I never understood the complexity when moving. If anything, I find moving physical media the easiest part of moving. They're all symmetrical and easily pack nicely into a box. Compared to other things that need to be packed, physical media is simple.

With disc rot I really need to start ripping movies, seems an impossible task though. I think I have 400 blu Ray's, how the fuck am I gonna store that?

A single 10 TB HDD will do. You can get one for $180 easily.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Avatar 3D and a copy of Minecraft is all I have now. Got rid of it years ago.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I feel like I'm the only person who still likes their physical collection lol. I have a big collection from PS2 era forward and I love having it/looking at it.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I've been getting of a ton of media, but I struggle with books. I definitely get my cheap sci-fi dime novel type stuff on my Kindle, but I still highly prefer physical books for anything nonfiction, science, history, etc. I also prefer it for certain fiction authors I want on my shelf, but that is getting very rare.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, things have changed. I buy way less physical nowadays. I never considered myself a collector per se, just someone who liked to play a lot of games. So, the transition wasn't difficult at all

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I just recently threw away or sold all of my physical games and tons of other discs, except for my music CDs, and also my consoles . You realise how much crap you have that you really aren't going to use anymore. It's nice to have space again for… other stuff I probably won't use!

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
My husband and I barely have any digital media, we have a few games and Blur-ray movies we keep but for the most part, we buy a game, play it and then sell it on eBay when we are done. We have never really been the type to watch movies more than once, with the exception of a few movies we really love.

Oct 27, 2017
Get rid of everything. *shrug*

I've flip flopped on it a bit over the years and have come to decide that physical books are still cool.

Stuff like games, music, tv, it's all the exact same, it's on your tv no matter where that tv is getting it from, the experience once you get into it is identical, so physical disks are a waste of space and money.

On the other hand, reading a physical book is different than reading an ebook. The experience is actually different, so if you enjoy the experience of physical books better it makes sense to continue buying them. I've realized that's the case for me so now I regret selling my old tpbs and rebuying then on comixology.

Apr 19, 2018
I still go physical and don't regret it. I will admit to taking space-saving measures, though; I bought a couple of those 100+ capacity CD wallet binder books to keep all my discs in, whether they're games or DVD/Blu-rays. The cases I've put away in storage, and I'm debating on getting rid of them.

The only collection I've gone mostly digital with is the Switch, since it's a lot more liberating having so many games saved to storage and able to switch on the fly without having to deal with swapping out game cards.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Until sales on digital games get super cheap like physical I just stick to physical. It's worth the hassle if I can save money.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's why I went full digital day 1 and never looked back. Games, Movies, Books, Music. You name it, I've gone full digital with it. I just don't have space to store a library of disks and paper in a format 20x more cumbersome to use than a stream of bytes.

Fuck on the gaming front, the original Xbox One plan would have been perfect for me because on the few disks I own from gifts or from people straight up giving them away, I could have literally just activated the damn CD key in my account and chucked the things. Whereas now they sit in a closet somewhere forgotten, unused and unplayed because they're too cumbersome compared to what's already on the machine.