• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this with my best friend when it came out in theaters, both being fans of Bos and also thinking the trailers were really great. I remember us both coming out of the theater thinking it was really good, mostly because of the exceptional acting of Elsie Fisher and the realistic portrayal of scenarios many found themselves in during their middle school years.

I re-watched this movie a couple weeks ago, now my third watch, and I found myself liking it even more. It took me a second to realize why… see, the first time I watched it with a lifelong friend, and so we compared and contrasted our experiences at the time… then the second time, I watched it with my wife, and of course, we did the same thing. This most recent time, though, I was watching by myself… and it was then that I found myself no longer thinking back to my own eigth grade experiences… but instead, almost seeing these "life experiences" put on full display - frustrations and disappointments and worries that similarity exist even as you get older.

Maybe it's silly, but I could feel that dread of showing up to a big gathering late and not immediately connecting with someone to talk to. Maybe a work function, or your spouse's friend group.

Agressive advancements from people you trust.

Family and friend's that don't understand what's bugging you - and if you tried to put it into words, you know it WOULD sound ridiculous.

Wanting social situations to just be easy. To find people you're comfortable with. Pushing away those that you are comfortable with in a self-destructive cycle.

Don't get me wrong - adulthood brings with it the grand ability to give less and less of a shit about other people. No, I don't really give a fuck if someone judges my swimsuit or I have to drink a beer by myself on the side of the pool and bask in the sun. But that human desire to just fit in - maybe not at a macro level, but in micro moments here and there - just scattered throughout life - and constantly looking in the mirror and asking yourself "is it me?" Is something that I think anyone can relate to at least at some level.

Anyway… I'm rambling… I just really like this movie, and it's fun after a couple watches to realize you might like it for even more reasons that you initially thought. How's everyone else feel about this one?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I watched it a few weeks and loved it. It's probably the most accurate depiction of that age i've ever seen on film or TV.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It's incredible, and I feel hugely empathetic towards the characters. Kayla as the main character of course but also the dad, and Kayla's high school mentor.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's pretty amazing. I really hope Bo tries directing more, between this and Inside he's got a great talent for it.

Also agree 100% that it encapsulates that age perfectly. It almost hurts to watch it.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Saw Eight Grade with some friends and we were all in our late 30's. It gave everyone flashbacks to how awful those years were. And how much worse it would be now with social media so prevalent. Definitely puts the challenges of middle age in perspective.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It's a hard-to-watch masterpiece. That "what grade were you in when Snapchat came out?" conversation made me feel extremely old as well as grateful to never have had to deal with that nonsense at that age.

The one-sided romance felt so authentic, it was a real master stroke.