• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is an argument to be had that higher resolutions are much more common place these days than when the switch launched. However, op seems to have some unrealistic expectations. I do think BotW has some performance issues that are pretty uncommon for a first party release but I have no doubt nintendo will improve on it for the sequel. After all, Zelda was a launch game and it was ported to the Switch from the Wii U.

Sure, but resolution and FPS will never be the "most important thing" when it comes to if a game aged badly or not like OP seems to think. That stuff can be upgraded on better hardware in the future.

If a game with bad resolution and FPS is great, it will still be great when a boosted port happens. If a game with bad resolution and FPS is bad, it will still be bad when that same port happens. It cannot be the most important thing when considering if a game aged badly or not.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
As I've gotten older I'm giving less of a shit about framerate. I just can't bring myself to care anymore
I guess you don't play games where it matters. Like I think OP is wilding and while yes, Nintendo is very much behind their contemporaries in terms of technical prowess, BOTW is still a very good game despite that. All that said, there are plenty of games where you should very much give a shit about frame rate

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
When I played through Breath of the Wild for the first time about a year ago, I enjoyed it more than any console Zelda I'd ever played. And I wasn't bothered by its performance, I was mostly impressed that a game like this was able to run on a tablet that's a few years old now.

I think that context matters a lot in how I decide to judge a games' performance. I recently went back to a few PS3 games that I remember loving, but the performance on some of them was a massive surprise, it felt like a fluctuating 25fps. Either way, I was able to get used to it because I know that the PS3 just wasn't that capable all things considered, and the bad performance is often the trade off they had to make in order to achieve the scope they wanted. As it turns out, that scope is what got me hooked on those games.

This also means that while the game can be rough at first, ports and remasters can really bring it back to life, and at that point I'm glad they decided to push things to their limits on the original, weaker hardware.

60fps and above make everything better, I agree with that. For multi-plats I tend to go for higher performing one. And there's been games where the performance is so bad that I don't even want to play it, but you won't catch me looking down on people who don't mind it either. I think there's been far too much insults thrown around in general in these type of threads that it makes me hardly want to participate.

Last edited:

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
While rating games, I don't look that much at technical issues. I mean, Deadly Premonitio technically spoken was shit, but the game was amazing.

While I've never played Zelda BOTW but did view a couple of gameplay streams I rather would be annoyed by the broken weapons than of some framerate and resolution issues. It still looks like an amazing game to me though!

But yeah, I am a gamer since my MSX days in the eighties and played a lot of PC games and was amazed by discovering that you could set the framerate from 15 to 25 in Geoff Crammond Grand Prix or choosing SVGA in Papyrus Indycar Racing II. Yeah, SVGA was 640*480 in that game, lol.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hot take coming through: Performance is the least important part of a game. As long as it doesn't become impossible to play performance issues will be overlooked by most people every time. People like Digital Foundry and OP are outliers.

People still call OoT the best game of all time and that ran at 20FPS tops, with many dips. OG Souls games are notorious for their performance issues but they basically made and conquered an entire genre on their own. Platinum Games games have never hit a locked 60FPS on consoles yet they're constantly praised for their gameplay. Performance just doesn't matter.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but resolution and FPS will never be the "most important thing" when it comes to if a game aged badly or not like OP seems to think. That stuff can be upgraded on better hardware in the future.

If a game with bad resolution and FPS is great, it will still be great when a boosted port happens. If a game with bad resolution and FPS is bad, it will still be bad when that same port happens. It cannot be the most important thing when considering if a game aged badly or not.
Oh no doubt. I think gameplay wise it is timeless. Framerate and resolution are by no means the most important thing to a game aging well. Besides, it's not like the PS/360 generation where the games ran sub 30 fps consistently. BotW holds 30 FPS pretty well until a thunder storm hits and you fight a couple of moblins at once or you go where the great deku tree is.

I recently played Demon Souls on my PS3 after beating the remake and even though the framerate is terrible (much worse than BoTW) the game is still a 9/10. I think that says it all for what I think about performance versus gameplay.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I staunchly oppose the notion that performance is related to how a game ages. Framerate is ageless. It's just as bad now as it was then, no more. Meanwhile, other aspects of visual fidelity like art direction, lighting, and asset quality "age" games, as well as antiquated models of gameplay.

I think the title is phrased the way it is for clicks only tbh

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take coming through: Performance is the least important part of a game. As long as it doesn't become impossible to play performance issues will be overlooked by most people every time. People like Digital Foundry and OP are outliers.

People still call OoT the best game of all time and that ran at 20FPS tops, with many dips. OG Souls games are notorious for their performance issues but they basically made and conquered an entire genre on their own. Platinum Games games have never hit a locked 60FPS on consoles yet they're constantly praised for their gameplay. Performance just doesn't matter.
You promised me a hot take, not a well reasoned one with evidence!

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think the facts support the notion that performance simply doesn't matter today. After all, it's a rare sight to see an MP action game release without a 60fps mode today, and that's a trend that Call of Duty spet into motion way back on 360 when even casual players who didn't know the terminology would openly wonder why other shooters never felt as 'smooth' to play (a common refrain that all but evaporated when Halo, Battlefield, and almost every other competitor made the jump to 60fps last generation). Battlefield 3 looked and sounded better than Call of Duty, but CoD's gameplay prevailed, and a big part of why was that Call of Duty's performance helped make it more enjoyable for a lot of people.

Its not like I don't see your point but I think it only applies to people who only play single player console games, and even then, a downright surprising number of those formerly 30fps franchises made the jump to 60fps last gen (or at least attempted to during development) when tech constraints and next gen visions would have been an acceptable excuse for many people. When developers chase that performance, even devs like Insomniac who were formerly convinced that 60fps had no bearing on the success or critical acclaim of their games... it suggests that enough people believe it's important that game devs will often target it when able and when doing so wouldn't constrain their vision for the game

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

Hardly a hot take, just fact. A lot of the highest rated GOAT games performed poorly (framerate) at launch and still do now. All the PS2 GTA games, Ocarina of Time, hell even though not in the same category Bloodborne's terrible frame pacing is frequently overlooked, why?

Because it doesn't matter.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the facts support the notion that performance simply doesn't matter today. After all, it's a rare sight to see an MP action game release without a 60fps mode today, and that's a trend that Call of Duty started way back on 360 when even casual players who didn't know the terminology would openly wonder why other shooters never felt as 'smooth' to play (a common refrain that all but evaporated when Halo, Battlefield, and almost every other competitor made the jump to 60fps last generation).

Its not like I don't see your point but I think it only applies to people who only play single player console games, and even then, a downright surprising number of those formerly 30fps franchises made the jump to 60fps last gen (or at least attempted to during development) when tech constraints and next gen visions would have been an acceptable excuse for many people.

I think on an individual level there is nothing wrong with having a strong preference for a specific performance level. And saying I don't want to play X,Y, or Z game that doesn't hit that threshold is okay to do.

That's okay even if people don't agree with you.

Where it becomes weird is when you either try to force your personal preference on somebody else as if its simply a hard math problem and 1+1 will ALWAYS=2 and won't let people who may not have your personal tolerance limits enjoy things.

I mean who doesn't prefer things to be 60fps and up. But if the option simply isn't available on the platform you game on, you either wait until it is possible on better hardware or you switch to another platform where it is possible.

I think if you've been gaming your whole life and seen many platforms and many variations of power levels of hardware this is obvious. But if you only started gaming in the last few years, it seems like a lot of people suddenly can't tolerate anything that doesn't hit whatever is the most currently powerful piece of hardware on the market.

Jun 20, 2019
Performance notes like FPS, resolution, and stable frame rate are very easy to verify before purchase these days. If you can't stand games below a certain performance threshold why do you play them?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
So I was in the mood for some Zelda again and started BotW - and was seriously shocked by how bad it looks and runs. Both resolution and framerate are a mess. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but there simply is no better way to describe it.

BotW has a nice art style, its world is beautifully designed and realized and the gameplay is fun (I even like the breakable equipment), but unfortunately the low resolution makes this nice art style and beautiful world look completely blurry, and the performance... man, I really don't remember BotW running this badly.

Depending on which part of Hyrule you are exploring, it feels like this game is struggling to even hold 25 frames per second.

Reading your post sound like you played Zelda OoT PAL version (that runs at 17FPS) on N64,
not game that runs at 900p and game that after all patches 95% of time runs at locked 30 FPS.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
This game is timeless to me, but again, it is only like a few years old, so we will see, I guess, as time goes on if this remains my opinion.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hardly a hot take, just fact. A lot of the highest rated GOAT games performed poorly (framerate) at launch and still do now. All the PS2 GTA games, Ocarina of Time, hell even though not in the same category Bloodborne's terrible frame pacing is frequently overlooked, why?

Because it doesn't matter.
Of course it matters, and I feel you sort of have to overlook a ton of facts selectively regarding performance trends in gaming over the last 10 years to argue otherwise.

Not saying that the degree to which it matters isn't up for debate... but more games target 60fps or include 60fps options now than at any time I can recall since the days of primarily 2D gaming, and that was the case even before these new consoles released with their hefty slate of high performance cross-gen games.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, it has lost a lot of replay value over the years for me. It's high time for the sequel to arrive.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think on an individual level there is nothing wrong with having a strong preference for a specific performance level. And saying I don't want to play X,Y, or Z game that doesn't hit that threshold is okay to do.

That's okay even if people don't agree with you.

Where it becomes weird is when you either try to force your personal preference on somebody else as if its simply a hard math problem and 1+1 will ALWAYS=2 and won't let people who may not have your personal tolerance limits enjoy things.

I mean who doesn't prefer things to be 60fps and up. But if the option simply isn't available on the platform you game on, you either wait until it is possible on better hardware or you switch to another platform where it is possible.

I think if you've been gaming your whole life and seen many platforms and many variations of power levels of hardware this is obvious. But if you only started gaming in the last few years, it seems like a lot of people suddenly can't tolerate anything that doesn't hit whatever is the most currently powerful piece of hardware on the market.
I agree. People keep bringing up how some of the most critically acclaimed games of all time don't run particularly well by modern standards, and while I don't think that that's enough to say performance doesn't matter, it does suggest that people are willing to accept a games performance for what it is if the experience that game provides is compelling enough to them. Very few people would deny that those games would feel improved by and large if they ran at higher framerates, but what we've got is good enough, and while I'd like to see performance prioritized in general, it's not hard to see that that's just not in the cards for some games, and that it's really just fine for people to enjoy them regardless. It's not like enjoying a 30fps open world game on tablet hardware will help set some avoidable precedent for such games moving forward... it really feels to me like devs/pubs prefer targeting high performance except where to do so would otherwise be impossible for them to achieve with the resources and hardware available to them.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It was the same framerate the first time you played it. I'm not sure what that has to do with "aging." Low framerates felt just as bad at the time the game came out as they do now. Nothing has changed.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I just fired it up again after a long time and the performance is still okay. And this is coming from someone who normally plays at 144FPS.

Sure it's not perfect but the fact that I'm playing it on a Switch is still super cool technical-wise. I think we can give the game a pass considering the hardware that it's on.

My bigger problem is the damn loading times.

Guess I should try this on CEMU.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
But its weird to suddenly take a hardline stance on arguably underpowered hardware and suddenly demand higher performance on it. The Switch is not and never has been cutting edge. It is not marketed that way. And the vast majority of consumers on that platform don't demand it to be.

We all make choices on hardware which reflect what we demand in games. If BOTW is a game that underperforms relative to other switch titles then focus it on that. But you can't squeeze fps out of a magical stone.
The SNES isn't cutting edge either, nor is the 3DS or the Gamecube. They all have their fair share of games running at 60fps though, because developers made this their priority. The problem is not the hardware, it's developers making games that seem to be too ambitious for the hardware. So if I want to play the latest Fire Emblem, I have to do so somewhere between 20 and 30fps, which looks and feels awful to my eyes.

And if I play the game in a few years again I will notice how badly it will have aged compared to The Sacred Stones for example, because its blurry 3D graphics will look horribly outdated while running at 20-30fps, while the latter has timeless 2D graphics and 60fps.

A Link between Worlds has aged better than Ocarina of Time
Metroid Zero Mission has aged better than Samus Returns
Battlefield 1943 has aged better than Bad Company

Better performance helps any game to age better.

Nintendo has a policy of choosing a target framerate depending of the genre and scope of the game. Breath of Wild was never going to be a 60 fps game no matter what, because with the Zelda series they get overly ambitious in terms of general scope.

You have another example on Luigi's Mansion, wich runs at a targeted framerate of 30 fps, aiming for higher graphic

Mario Kart, Smash and Mario main series, for example, are 60 fps series.

It's a matter of design, just like, in one or two years from now, console games will be 30 fps by default
Exactly, developers get overly ambitious. And for the last sentence, message me again when that's the case. Because as far as I can see, we're getting more "performance modes" than ever since their introduction in 2016 with PS4 Pro. This user actually phrased it better:
Of course it matters, and I feel you sort of have to overlook a ton of facts selectively regarding performance trends in gaming over the last 10 years to argue otherwise.

Not saying that the degree to which it matters isn't up for debate... but more games target 60fps or include 60fps options now than at any time I can recall since the days of primarily 2D gaming, and that was the case even before these new consoles released with their hefty slate of high performance cross-gen games.

Performance notes like FPS, resolution, and stable frame rate are very easy to verify before purchase these days. If you can't stand games below a certain performance threshold why do you play them?
Because I enjoy playing Zelda or Fire Emblem. I would just enjoy them way more with performance that isn't 20-30 fps as with Fire Emblem for example. I ask developers to release better performing games, so I can enjoy them more. What's wrong with that?

Really? What would those be?
24fps, DTS Surround Sound, 1080p, subtitle size. They even state some of these things on the back of their cases. Imagine game cases stating resolution or framerate.

Last edited:

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

I'll rephrase my point slightly:

Framerate doesn't matter nearly as much as enthusiasts make it out to.

Just take a glance down any GOAT list from an outlet of your choosing, few of the games performed significantly better than BoTW at their release, even less rely on smooth performance to support the gameplay (like say Mario Kart or Street Fighter would).

It's not the be all and end all people OP or some others make it out to be.

Another thought, the majority of people that have completed Cyberpunk 2077 would've done it on a last gen console, still 13+ million sold. A lot of complaints but also a lot of satisfied customer no matter how unplayable you or I think it is.

Jun 2, 2019
Exactly, developers get overly ambitious. And for the last part, message me again when that's the case. Because as far as I can see, we're getting more "performance modes" than ever since their introduction in 2016 with PS4 Pro.

You know, if, like you say, you have been in the hobby for so long, you already know i'm right

Sure, performance modes are getting popular, that's true even in som Switch third party ports, i wont deny that.

But, as you may already know, developers will aime to use every ounce of a console's power to get greater graphical fidelity in spite of framerate, it has been like that since forever. If you really have been in this since at least the SNES, you may remeber how, for 3 generations straight, the 60fps promise have been always there, and have been always broken more sooner than later.

Hell, you just need to wait for games designed with Raytracing in mind to start appearing, this console gen is going to look dated for you veeeeery soon.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Heh. I started playing it again after finishing at launch just this weekend and can't get over how amazing this game is.

No other game's got me feeling these feels.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
You know, if, like you say, you have been in the hobby for so long, you already know i'm right

Sure, performance modes are getting popular, that's true even in som Switch third party ports, i wont deny that.

But, as you may already know, developers will aime to use every ounce of a console's power to get greater graphical fidelity in spite of framerate, it has been like that since forever. If you really have been in this since at least the SNES, you may remeber how, for 3 generations straight, the 60fps promise have been always there, and have been always broken more sooner than later.

Hell, you just need to wait for games designed with Raytracing in mind to start appearing, this console gen is going to look dated for you veeeeery soon.
Like I said, message me when the day has come, because:

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think it is one of the best games ever made.

I personally didn´t find any important performance issues when I played it on Switch.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The SNES isn't cutting edge either, nor is the 3DS or the Gamecube. They all have their fair share of games running at 60fps though, because developers made this their priority. The problem is not the hardware, it's developers making games that seem to be too ambitious for the hardware. So if I want to play the latest Fire Emblem, I have to do so somewhere between 20 and 30fps, which looks and feels awful to my eyes.

And if I play the game in a few years again I will notice how badly it will have aged compared to The Sacred Stones for example, because its blurry 3D graphics will look horribly outdated while running at 20-30fps, while the latter has timeless 2D graphics and 60fps.

This is all just your opinion and honestly just complete bullsh... truth.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I replayed it 6 months ago and it's still a masterpiece.

Also the idea that a 4 year old game can age badly is kinda laughable.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The only acceptable way to play BOTW these days is on PC. Even without the 60 fps mod, the game has perfect framepacing on CEMU and it looks gorgeous at 4k.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
boy am I glad I can enjoy games
Yeah, this is my take seeing the OP's posts. I'd be pretty bummed if I couldn't enjoy some of my all-time favorite games due to resolution or FPS when it isn't absolutely egregious. Hell I can still enjoy quite a few PS1 3D games and those ran like shit compared to just about anything you'll find today.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
There were always performance issues. I'll take the trade off for the huge scale of the game they pulled off.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is all just your opinion and honestly just complete bullsh... truth.
I'm so glad I played Fire Emblem despite it running like shit (I love that game) but I'll tell ya what, half the reason I'm excited for a Super Switch is so that I don't have to put up with performance like that across a bunch of switch games... and the other half is cuz the second I get a Super Switch I'm hacking the shit out of my launch Switch again so that I can brute force higher performance on my old Switch too.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising at 4k/60 on my PC, and despite all the technical improvements BotW still blows it away in moment to moment game feel. I love high frame rates, but the pace of BotW does not really need it imo. The only place where I felt the framerate held it back was in the Korok forest.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a switch last year with this game and I fell off hard lot of aspects of the game I like but performance was tough I personally like both of its clones more genshin impact and I love Immortal Fenix hopefully the rumors-of a switch pro and Botw2 are true.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing it on the WiiU for the first time and it looks great and plays absolutely fine. It's an incredible achievement and deserving of its status as an all time great. This is some weird ass flex of a thread.

Performance isn't everything, Stunt Race FX is fuckin dope. I'll die on this hill. At 12fps.

Last edited:

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It runs fine after the patches. Still a hiccup or two sometimes, but by no means unplayable.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
boy am I glad I can enjoy games

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was going to say. I definitely appreciate and usually prefer 60fps where and when I can get it, but not having it certainly doesn't prevent me from enjoying a game or appreciating its other merits and man, I am so thankful for that. Being unable to enjoy or appreciate anything that runs below 60fps seems like such a sad way to live where video games are concerned, but that is of course OP's prerogative.

Performance matters, but not that much, and BotW is an incredible game despite its performance issues (which have been smoothed out to a mostly stable 29-30fps with patches anyway).

I will say that for me, there is one general exception to the above: rhythm games. Because of the genre's nature I typically do need those to be 60fps for me to be able to enjoy them, but I also fully admit that's because I'm pretty hardcore about them and a bit of a rhythm game snob. That's not going to apply to everyone, nor should it!

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao my dude so you would've preferred if BoTW was a top down 2D type Zelda if it meant that it was 60 fps 1080p? What are you gonna do in two years when the PS5 isn't only getting 99% 8th gen ports and has a much higher percentage of 30 fps only games?

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't disagree more with the op. I hopped back in after an extended break. The game only had slight drops, rarely. The game is still gorgeous. I think he's missing the point.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
This thread is the brand of weird that I only see on Era. The kind you look at and ask "why is this worthy of discussion?" yet there are like 12 pages worth of discussion.

Ill throw in my two cents: I just revisited 30min of BotW and it looks great. Videogames are fun and life is wonderful :) I am so happy BotW exists and cant wait for the sequel :)