• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Only on internet forums can someone want a game to be technically better and they are made out to be the bad guy. No criticism is valid to you guys. It's the best thing ever and wanting better performance and visuals is outright wrong.

If the world was run by people like the defenders in this group, we'd still be living in the dirt.

JFC gamers never learn and they never change.
Then don't play said game on old hardware if that is an issue for you. Really simple.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is a fair point, I think it's also fair to say the issue I describe is rife on this site.

Look through my post history, when I take criticism I almost always acknowledge it and very often apologise and take the hit. Feel free to take a browse.

Feel free to PM me some examples I missed where I didn't do this and I'll have a conversation about it, just because I might argue a lot doesn't mean what you think it does. I am always open to criticism.
Is this normal to you?Isn't it calling people stupid?

If the world was run by people like the defenders in this group, we'd still be living in the dirt.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a fair point, I think it's also fair to say the issue I describe is rife on this site.

Look through my post history, when I take criticism I almost always acknowledge it and very often apologise and take the hit. Feel free to take a browse.

Feel free to PM me some examples I missed where I didn't do this and I'll have a conversation about it, just because I might argue a lot doesn't mean what you think it does. I am always open to criticism.

oh no im not talking about "your history" or anything

but if found kinda funny, that you called that poster "defensive" when yourself got defensive when he argued that after a series of "serious posts" a joke post shoudn;t be a big issue, which seems somethin fair to argue to me.

even more in a conversation about "self-awareness"

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I just think it's hard to imagine OP actually caring a lot about the game part of a videogame when the rate of image frames defines it above everything else.
I like my games smooth because I care about gameplay first and foremost. I played smooth 60fps games on SNES in 1995. Now it's 2021, big games like Zelda run at 25-30fps and I should be ok with it? Why?

Have you played Age of Calamity in Coop mode? If I had to guess I would say it runs between 15-20fps. A Switch costs you 300 bucks. Yes, bad performance does hurt my enjoyment of a game and I expect more for that kind of money.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
I don't think it's aged badly at all. To start, it's not even old. It's the same game that was released a few years ago - there hasn't been enough technological progress to warrant the claim that it's outdated by any means.

I see "aged badly" used fairly often on this site as a synonym for "it's not new and I'm not really a big fan of it", but I'd argue those are two separate things. For instance, you could maybe argue that old console shooters have aged badly due to not following the now-standard control scheme.

But BotW isn't outdated in any sense - it just has some slight performance issues, as it did on release. It's not aged at all, it's in the same position it always was.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Funny enough, I keep thinking that Botw2 will feel better to me for sure, as I played the original on the WiiU.

I never had a problem with botw in terms of framerate and resolution (except for Korok Forest) but I never really liked how foggy and washed out the enviroments looked in the distance. I'd love it if the game as a whole looked more like those autumn forests from Akkala or certain parts of Gerudo, with vibrant colours.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Yeah the performance really holds me back from buying it. I want this game in smooth 60 fps and without emulator fiddling...

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like my games smooth because I care about gameplay first and foremeost. I played smooth 60fps games on SNES in 1995. Now it's 2021, big games like Zelda run at 25-30fps and I should be ok with it? Why?

Have you played Age of Calamity in Coop mode? If I had to guess I would say it runs between 15-20fps. A Switch costs you 300 bucks. Yes, bad performance does hurt my enjoyment of a game and I expect more for that kind of money.

300 dollars is nothing, if you want powerful hardware tho

astro

Oct 25, 2017
oh no im not talking about "your history" or anything

but if found kinda funny, that you called that poster "defensive" when yourself got defensive when he argued that after a series of "serious posts" a joke post shoudn;t be a big issue, which seems somethin fair to argue to me.

even more in a conversation about "self-awareness"
I wasn't being defensive there, I was only that the post exists regardless of their other contributions. Do you see my overall point here?

My issue here is that there is always, and I mean always, condescending comments calling out "elitism" whenever someone mentions strong preferences surrounding performance. They are doing the very thing they're trying to call out without even a shred of self-awareness.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I like my games smooth because I care about gameplay first and foremeost. I played smooth 60fps games on SNES in 1995. Now it's 2021, big games like Zelda run at 25-30fps and I should be ok with it? Why?

You expected too much then. That's on you. Buy a PC and run CEMU if you want better or realize the power/performance compromise when you buy a console. Especially a Nintendo switch.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I can run games at 60-120fps on the PC and still prefer to play them if possible on my Switch due to portability.

I've put WAY more hours into Hades on my Switch than I have on my PC even though I'm often sitting right in front of my PC.
(Cross-saves are AMAZING! and much more important to me than nearly any other next-gen feature.)

Trying to spoil myself with higher framerates but it doesn't even begin to bother me like it does some other gamers.

Guess its because I grew up playing games in the 80s & 90s.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can everyone just cool it a bit.

Some people care more about frame rates and performance, some not so much, some not at all. Some expect the Switch to meet the standards of other home consoles when docked, some to push the limits, some only use it as a portable or just don't care.

All of these are reasonable positions, we can sound it all out without antagonising each other.

Last edited:

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Only on internet forums can someone want a game to be technically better and they are made out to be the bad guy. No criticism is valid to you guys. It's the best thing ever and wanting better performance and visuals is outright wrong.

JFC gamers never learn and they never change.
Wow, there is more than one instance of the "we'd still be living in huts" take in this thread. Fucking hilarious.

If by "wanting a gaming to be technically better" you mean complaining in verbose stanzas about self-conflicting points, as opposed to expressing any actual desire for improvement on the part of Nintendo, yeah you deserve to be shit upon.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Comparing the framerate of games made for the SNES in 1995 with those released in 2017 for the Switch is a fool's errand and completely ignores the massive shift in level of effort required to even get something made, let alone running well.

Last edited:

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I've been through this before, and the genuine simple answer is that for 60fps (the user), the first and foremost important thing *is* 60fps. It's not surprising or anything, nor quite trolly - it's literally just that for them, if the thing isn't 60fps then by default it is very bad; a fantastic game can make that same game borderline okay, but it will never be good simply by the nature of the framerate. And that's fine! To each their own specific deciding factors - if gameplay itself isn't at the core but rather the performance *for* the gameplay, who am I to say otherwise? I do think the *title* is a bit out of place, because the implication about Aging is typically in regards to mechanics rather than performance, and thus the topic appears to be about how the systems just haven't aged well, then shifts into "It just should've run better & had higher resolution".

But beyond that it'd be more like "I recently replayed BoTW and the magic that happened the first time wasn't enough for me to not mind this issue".

Unfortunately, and almost certainly for the foreseeable future, 30fps is the standard, 60fps is for optional visual downgrades and potentially resolution of the same title. Which I don't mind, it's good to have options!

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
You must have known it was going to happen. How dare the OP slight the name of Nintendo.
It's not that is just that OP is known for having ridiculous standards for a portable console and then in this thread tells everyone who doesn't agree or it's fine with stable 30fps that they would be the reason we would be still riding horses instead of cars, like what?????

Or saying that people aren't even trying because in 1995 we had 60fps games but not in 2021 which again what?????

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Can everyone just cool it a bit.

Some people care more about frame rates and performance, some not so much, some not at all. Some expect the Switch to meet the standards of other home consoles when docked, some to push the limits, some only use it as a portable.

All of these are reasonable positions, we can sound it all out without antagonising each other.
Is it ok to be told things like "If it were up to people who don't care about framerate, we would still live in caves?"

How is that not an insult?

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but no. Frame drops or low resolution doesn't automatically make this game bad. I played it recently too as well.
It's not even that a person can't have issues with some of this stuff. Of course some of that is gonna happen relative to the power of the console. A switch isn't gonna run it at 4K 60 frames. It's running it the best it can on the native hardware. I mean that's all it can do. What is the op asking for even here. Magically strong hardware. Or to dump the graphics to a low standard so it can run perfectly smooth at an hd frame rate. It's ALWAYS gonna be a compromise.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
CEMU works well? I haven't been reading much on it, but last time I tried, my PC struggled and it required encryption keys and cartridge dump.

Haven't touched CEMU in months.
I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles X and it works flawlessly... so far. I think the bigger games like XCX and BotW will get a lot of attention from the community, and I took a quick look and BotW seems to have a lot of guides (like this one) and community support to help people get it running to an acceptable standard.

When I first ran XCX, it ran badly, it took me a couple of evening of tinkering with graphics packs to get the visuals/perfomance to where I wanted it, but it runs really well now.

Deleted member 90924

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
I can respect OP's perspective, even if I disagree with it. I agree with the many posters in the thread, though, that point out that OP's issues aren't really best characterized as the game aging poorly. It's more that OP's own tolerance-level for performance issues, framerate, resolution, and visuals has changed since it released. And that's ok, but it doesn't mean the game aged poorly.

In fact, I feel that BOTW will age particularly well, much like Wind Waker, because it didn't go for a realistic art style. BOTW has an almost painterly, pre-impressionist landscape feel to it. It wasn't graphically impressive when it came out, but I think the art direction is about as timeless as a modern 3D game can be. Gameplay is usually going to age the worst in a 3D game, but BOTW should age well in that regard too. It's simple, yet complex, and satisfying. Nor is it dependent on a ton of systems that are likely to feel anachronistic a decade or two from now. The simple physics will age well. Oh I see a tree, and I need to cross that canyon. Cut the tree down to cross. Or the simple challenge of finding your way to the next spot on the map. It has a very intuitive flavor to it in that way IMO that should last.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
playing ps5 console games and they have aged badly thanks to my 144+ fps and gsync and 4k on my pc. botw is fine and if you think its that bad man you must not be able to play 99% of your backlog.

Jun 2, 2019
I've put WAY more hours into Hades on my Switch than I have on my PC even though I'm often sitting right in front of my PC.
(Cross-saves are AMAZING! and much more important to me than nearly any other next-gen feature.)

This is me with The Witcher 3, and the performance difference between the Switch and my PC in that game is stupid

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This thread, the OP's subsequent replies and the staunch defenders of the condescension within them are all embarassing. I'm far from a Nintendo fanboy, but the nitpicking, gatekeeping and thinly veiled attacks embody an attitude I despise in this hobby.

It's fine to be an enthusiast and want to push things forward, but it doesn't wannat some of the behaviour and attitudes displayed ITT.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This thread, the OP's subsequent replies and the staunch defenders of the condescension within them are all embarassing. I'm far from a Nintendo fanboy, but the nitpicking, gatekeeping and thinly veiled attacks embody an attitude I despise in this hobby.

It's fine to be an enthusiast and want to push things forward, but it doesn't wannat some of the behaviour and attitudes displayed ITT.
Which goes both ways. There are a lot of posts ITT doing that very thing from the opposite direction.

EDIT: just saw mod post, will leave this now.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
playing ps5 console games and they have aged badly thanks to my 144+ fps and gsync and 4k on my pc. botw is fine and if you think its that bad man you must not be able to play 99% of your backlog.
This is perfect! Make a thread like this and say that PS5 and Xbox Series owners have no standard and watch Era explodes. This is basically what Op is doing.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I would argue that, historically, Nintendo develops games for the hardware they have in their hands, BOTW is not exception, it was developed for Wii U, a machine where every complex game was a 720p game, and they treat framerate as a design decision. Zelda is a 30 fps IP, that's all that there's to it.

BotW isn't a >30fps game though
So you're telling me BotW didn't drop to 20fps regularly, albeit depending on where you were, at launch?
It's certainly better now when it comes to hitting its 30fps target, but for me a 30fps game is a game that hits 30fps 99% of the time.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is it ok to be told things like "If it were up to people who don't care about framerate, we would still live in caves?"

How is that not an insult?
I was addressing everyone, including the OP. Personally, I don't find mild hyperbole when talking about something as inconsequential as computer games particularly insulting when it's something that can easily be countered in discussion.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
33d.gif

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I was addressing everyone, including the OP. Personally, I don't find mild hyperbole when talking about something as inconsequential as computer games particularly insulting when it's something that can easily be countered in discussion.
I think it is a toxic attitude that prevents any possibility of having a civil discussion but I will leave it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Is 60fps beneficial in this game? Do the animations and effects scale properly or are they limited to 30fps?

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like my games smooth because I care about gameplay first and foremost. I played smooth 60fps games on SNES in 1995. Now it's 2021, big games like Zelda run at 25-30fps and I should be ok with it? Why?

Even to hit a smooth 30 fps is preferable, there are games that run at 30 fps 99% of the time, that feel smooth, and Breath of the Wild doesn't do that. The stutters and hitching DO negatively affect gameplay.

Jun 2, 2019
So you're telling me BotW didn't drop to 20fps regularly, albeit depending on where you were, at launch?
It's certainly better now when it comes to hitting its 30fps target, but for me a 30fps game is a game that hits 30fps 99% of the time.

Never played BotW at launsh on Switch, I'll admit that. I played it day one on Wii U though, but it was obvious it was going to have frame drops, it wasn't a good machine for open world games

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

You know what you get for the money you pay. The same way a laptop costs a lot more than a desktop with the same hardware power, Switch is an hybrid and if you use it as a home console only, yeah, you're wasting money. Specially if you don't value exclusive Switch stuff for its mechanics (Versus their performance).

While i think Nintendo games are really really expensive and $60 for every retail game is pure bs, i don't think the Switch console itself is expensive for what it is.

You don't need to be ok with anything, but you're clueless about what Nintendo and Switch is about if you're arguing in good faith.

Also, if you value 60fps above anything, before the PS5/XSX your only option was a PC.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
This is something i've wanted to do for the longest time now, but pretty sure my aging i7 4770k and 1070 won't handle it well. Gotta wait for my new 5900x/3080 PC and i will definitely look into it. I own the game on Switch, but i guess it's still a bit of a greyzone.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, here I am on my 3070 and ryzen 5800X , I guess all the games on PS5 and Xbox Series X are already aged and old if they don't reach those standards.

Anyway can't wait to play Mario 3D World at a measly 1080/60 next week