• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Breath of the Wild is perfectly playable, has a perfectly reasonable performance profile given its scale and the hardware it runs on, and it is - and always will be - an incredible game.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The only way to convince developers to make performance a higher priority is to hold them to a higher standard. I doubt most here are such sticklers that they would avoid playing every single unstable or low res game but its worth scrutizing if one wants things to change. The developers that can meet these standards deserve to be rewarded.

What if the average gamer actually don't care that much about higher performance standards but this demand is artificially created and marketed to justify new boxes?

4th to 5th gen games kind of had a downgrade in overall performance but nobody gave a shit back then because holy shit 3D games! 5th to 6th gen even your grandma could see how more complex were the 3D models and stuff. 6th to 7th gen was justified with HD tvs and then normal people started to talk about resolution and frames per second because, yeah, new boxes needs to be justified somehow.

Not saying fast loadings and smooth performance aren't really great in the new consoles, but regarding the lack of it as the game not aging well while it's probably the current main reference for open world games, is tasteless to say the least. Those people obsessed with performance even likes videogames for starters, or it's all about the tech fetish? I honestly don't know.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I get not liking stuff and opinions, everyone have different tastes. What I don't get is saying people have no standards when they enjoy something, or don't care for what people like the Op care about. A 60 fps game is not magically a 10 out of 10 and a 30 game is not automatically a bad game.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped carrying for DF analysis and discussions and my gaming moments got better.

don't get me wrong, they do a great job, but somethings are better if you ignore it. at least when it comes to these technical aspects.
Exactly. It's nice to know the ins and outs of a game's technical stuff, but you can't make it the primary reason to enjoy the game or not.

BOTW has not aged badly at all. It's still the best open world experience out there.

Deleted member 69771

I entered this thread expecting some actual game design analysis or look back on the game but it's just the same exact stuff about resolution and framerate you see every time lol. Like, how do people not get tired of discussing this in general? I'm a programmer and I can't really understand it tbh. But it's fine ig, to each their own.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
The game on CEMU is night and day compared to the switch version. However that's not the games fault, obviously, it's the switch I guess. BotW is still quite good compared to Fire Emblem

The switch is okay for what it is, but yeah a new switch pro would be fantastic. I just don't know if it needs to come out in 2021. If a delay to 2022, allows it to have a really good Nvidia GPU, I'd rather wait.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This forum's obsession with performance, and particularly frame rates, is tiresome enough, but it's really wild that some of y'all don't have the self-awareness to realize that it's not a priority to the vast majority of people.
It is because of these things that people cannot stand gamers.

Oct 27, 2017
If that is the truth it means that 99% of all video games age badly

This is just an incredibly bad take, the game is exactly the same as when it released and it's still a masterpiece. You just have a problem with the system which is fine, the game has nothing to do with your problems.

How the game performs on the system(s) it is released on is measured on it's performance. The games frame pacing is uneven. Yeah it's a little better than released but as but with other open world games now getting 60 fps options, a game struggling to hit 30 frames is going to a be bit more noticeable than before when we had less open world games with high frame rate options. So compared to options available now yeah the game looks a little worse. And yeah all video games age that's not some big reveal. Some age better and that is usually due to design style and the performance of the game in the system.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's a game that would benefit from a much much more powerful new switch. I just don't know how expensive that machine would have to be for me to enjoy it.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A good framerate is nice, but honestly, unless it gets Dark Souls 1 on original consoles in Blighttown bad or outright freezes for a second or two, a mediocre framerate doesn't really bother me.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I liked BOTW, but I absolutely liked it IN SPITE OF the chunky performance, occasional blurriness, and ugly shadows.

That's the "fault" of the hardware and not the game, but the game is an exclusive to that hardware made by the company that made the hardware, so... it's hard to decouple those things.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
I couldn't disagree more...I think it looks great docked or undocked. I've never been a graphics snob though. Everything else feels great to me barring a few areas where the fps dips.

Dec 2, 2020
Isn't it mostly a locked 30 after the patch apart from a few areas in the game? 900p also isn't what I would call blurry, looks good enough.
But as has been mentioned, yeah just emulate it if you want better.

Yeah it very rarely drops below 30fps when docked on Switch outside of one particular small area I won't mention for spoiler reasons.

It's dynamic 900p and certainly looks a little soft on a large 4K TV but I've seen far worse especially on Switch. It holds up far better on a 1080p TV imo.

In general I still think it looks great because of it's artstyle. The textures are it's biggest let down visually but I feel like people have forgoten this game was designed around the limitations of a Wii U which had CPU technology from 2000 in it and only a single gig of very slow RAM lol.

BotW 2 will look much, much better due to being designed around the specs of the base Switch which has a much better CPU, 3x more / faster RAM and a much more modern GPU compared to Wii U.

Hopefully we'll have the option of 1080/60fps or 4K/30fps on Super Switch by the end of this year thanks to DLSS.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I get not liking stuff and opinions, everyone have different tastes. What I don't get is saying people have no standards when they enjoy something, or don't care for what people like the Op care about. A 60 fps game is not magically a 10 out of 10 and a 30 game is not automatically a bad game.

Still, in this age, the frame-drops in the forest in botw are laughable. Nintendo should do better.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
User banned (3 days): antagonistic trolling. Previous recent warning for hostility.
Being a gaming enthusiast means more than being obsessed with resolution and framerate to the point of becoming a condescendent gatekeeper.
73c.jpg

"Having fun? But the game only runs at 30 fps and dips into the high 20s sometimes! Look at the ugly shadows! It's not even native 1080p, how can you play it on a 4K OLED and not vomit? How can you have fun like this? No, really, how? Please stop having fun."

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What if the average gamer actually don't care that much about higher performance standards but this demand is artificially created and marketed to justify new boxes?

4th to 5th gen games kind of had a downgrade in overall performance but nobody gave a shit back then because holy shit 3D games! 5th to 6th gen even your grandma could see how more complex were the 3D models and stuff. 6th to 7th gen was justified with HD tvs and then normal people started to talk about resolution and frames per second because, yeah, new boxes needs to be justified somehow.

Not saying fast loadings and smooth performance aren't really great in the new consoles, but regarding the lack of it as the game not aging well while it's probably the current main reference for open world games, is tasteless to say the least. Those people obsessed with performance even likes videogames for starters, or it's all about the tech fetish? I honestly don't know.
I think you should start by not assuming the discussion around performance is being had in bad faith. I assure you that I like video games. I don't think that the demand is artificial, we're just naturally going to be looking toward the next ways gaming can improve and load times/performance issues have been particularly egregious these last few gens.

As to your second point, I genuinely believed Nintendo got crept on quickly with the rise of the SSDs. There are a lot of obvious ways BOTW could have been improved with it and I think developers having less technical constraints to worry about between them and their visions is a good thing.

The OP is phrased in sort of a baity way that I think muddles the true point being made here, but a lot of the replies probably would have been the same anyway since Nintendo fans always get cagey when the obvious technical constraints of their hardware come up.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
OP, genuine question. How old are you? Having grown up playing videogames since NES days, I find I'm not as sensitive to technical issues. For me, good games are good games. Almost nothing is "unplayable".

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love playing games at smooth frame rates and it's sometimes hard to go back to poor performing games for me these days. That being said BotW doesn't bother me. It's always felt pretty smooth overall and I've never felt like I was losing at any point due to lag as the lag typically happens when there's tons of effects on screen.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
The performa n ce was always bad, not an age issue. The game also always was worse than the proper Zelda concept.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Every modern game that fails to hit a 60fps merits big criticism.

No excuses.

giphy.gif

Don't get me wrong, I really prefer 60fps even if that means lesser visual fidelity but this is an unrealistic metric, especially when applied to a portable. Even a Switch Pro will be what? Maybe comparable to the vanilla Xbox and PS4?

Fanta

May 27, 2018
What part or aspect of the game would you want stripped back/removed for it to hit 60fps/1080p?

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
If you're enjoyment of games is so absurd that it completely hinges on their technical performance and nothing outside of a locked 60fps at 1080p is playable to you why on earth did you buy a Switch?

Lol these threads are so transparent but make for a good laugh

Dec 2, 2020

You'll see 30fps become perfectly playable again once PS5 and Series X drop cross gen games and AAA single player next gen only open World games go back to 30fps lol.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Right there with you OP.

I enjoyed my time with it, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more and would definitely go back to play it more if it wasn't released on dated crippled hardware.

Maybe the switch pro or whatever it's called will bring it somewhat close to the current standard of console hardware (doubt it), but as much as the switch is a great handheld, it's a terrible home console. BoTW on my lg CX looks like a blurry mess and runs terribly compared to just about every modern game. AAA zelda games should not be treated so poorly by Nintendo.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
Just gonna echo what others have said, play it on CEMU if it's that big a deal for you. Did a second playthrough on CEMU last year and it was great, 60 fps, upscaled to higher resolutions, some mods too if you're into that.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I love the idea of Nintendo tamping down their ambitions to conform to 60fps standards. Yes, they should do their best to target that, but I'd much rather play BotW at a semi-stable 30 than get a pared-down vision at 60. I'm sure they'd love to hit arbitrary technical "standards." but Nintendo still seems to put gameplay design over technical ambition. If they can marry the two, they tend to go for it, but their design philosophy isn't and hopefully never will be "Make Digital Foundry Happy"

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If everyone had kept this "It's good enough!" mindset, we wouldn't play in 3D or Dolby Atmos now. We wouldn't play anything. We would still ride horses instead of cars. The problem is not people expecting more, it's people expecting less and being ok with it.

I wouldn't even complain if Nintendo let me spend more money for a system that can run BotW at 1080p & 60fps, like it should in 2021, I would really love to, but they don't let me.

This is a gaming forum. Of course people expect better around here. Do you think people on a movie forum would be happy with the latest James Bond releasing at 720p or with stereo sound, claiming it was "good enough"?

I discovered 60fps when the SNES was a thing. Obviously compromises had to be made when 3D gaming became the norm but I'm seriously surprised that people still defend poor performance in 2021 like it was anything outrageous to expect games to perform better than they currently do.
The issue with your comparisons is that movies are almost never 720p. With them usually being film, they're at about 4K level, or at least 2K when it comes to films with heavily special effects. 30fps meanwhile, has been a general standard for 3D games for quite some time outside of particular genres. Yeah, some are 60fps, but it's almost always the exception rather than the rule.

Open-world games in general almost always had poorer performance and graphical fidelity compared to it's contemporaries, they're extremely technically demanding games. Look at many open-world PS2 games like the GTA series or Shadow of the Colossus, tremendous graphical or technical sacrifices need to be made to get them to even be playable.

Obviously it's nice to want a game like BotW or similar to be 60fps and higher resolution, but you obviously need to keep in mind the hardware limitations. A game like BotW at 1080p 60fps on the Switch would require tremendous sacrifices at least graphically, if it was possible to get it working at all. To have a game that is open-world AND has beautiful graphics AND is 60fps AND is max resolution is...nice, but when considering the hardware platform you definitely can't have it all.

I'm sure Nintendo balanced graphical and technical performance the best they possibly could at the time and keep the scope and depth of the game. But to consider 30fps with occasional dips to be "poor performance" when it's practically been the norm for years is...quite frankly, absurd.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
That's Nintendo for you. They keep making games for hardware that isn't doing their work justice.

I would argue that, historically, Nintendo develops games for the hardware they have in their hands, BOTW is not exception, it was developed for Wii U, a machine where every complex game was a 720p game, and they treat framerate as a design decision. Zelda is a 30 fps IP, that's all that there's to it.

Under 30fps for a game in 2017 was still bad lol

BotW isn't a >30fps game though

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's only gotten better with age for me. ironically one of the ways it got better was the framerate issues got patched. absolute gem of a game

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it hasn't aged poorly. Under 30fps for a game in 2017 was still bad lol, it's not like standards have suddenly gone higher. It's just the same fantastic game with technical issues that it was on day 1 lol.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Im playing it for the first time right now. There's only been 2 scenarios for me that consistently cause frame drops: Using the magnesis rune and the southern jungle area. Those frame drops are annoying but thankfully I'm getting a near locked 30 outside of that.

I do agree the resolution seems a bit low. I'd also like the draw distance for smaller objects to be better. But really these are only small issues for such a good game.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I got a question, weren't TLOU2 and GoT 30 fps when they released in 2020? Aren't those dated and unplayable games as well? ( I know that GoT got a 60 fps update). Let's keep it pre-PS5.

PS. I think those games are awesome, btw.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Being a gaming enthusiast means more than being obsessed with resolution and framerate to the point of becoming a condescendent gatekeeper.
People like yourself are being far more of a "condescendent gatekeeper" than OP is. It should be okay to speak about preferences on technical aspects without all this bullshit.

73c.jpg

"Having fun? But the game only runs at 30 fps and dips into the high 20s sometimes! Look at the ugly shadows! It's not even native 1080p, how can you play it on a 4K OLED and not vomit? How can you have fun like this? No, really, how? Please stop having fun."
Entusiast people are the worst people, tbh.
Posts like the above... are, imo, far worse than anything in the OP.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I put about two dozen hours into Breath of the Wild before kinda burning out on it, and the technical aspects were definitely part of it. In addition to the framerate problems, it also just has pretty poor IQ, and it's less legible at a distance (or undocked!) because of that.

As a PC player used to triple-digit framerates, even locked 30 is just unpleasant and hurts my immersion. I'm replaying Nier Automata right now, and every time the game drops to 30fps fixed for a cutscene, it feels like the game is breaking.

I still think PC/Switch is the best two-platform experience overall, but it is hard overcoming how many games look and feel on the latter.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
People like yourself are being far more of a "condescendent gatekeeper" than OP is. It should be okay to speak about preferences on technical aspects without all this bullshit.

Posts like the above... are, imo, far worse than anything in the OP.
I mean if you quote my one meme post instead of the many others where I laid down my arguments it's super easy to make me look bad.