• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thank you. I don't get why anyone would defend companies releasing badly performing games. It's like people don't have any standards for the things they spend their money on.
People do have standards, and "solid 30 fps with drops sometimes" is and has been the baseline of those standards for decades now for people who play on consoles.

Like you say you're a big Zelda fan, Ocarina of Time runs a lot worse than BoTW. And it came out in 1998!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope I just played it on Wii U a few months ago and 90% of the time it feels excellent. You have to have a seriously low tolerance for it to be bothersome. The game was a lot worse at launch but now it's very solid

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
After playing through Immortals, going back to BOTW is just painful. Not just the performance, but also the gameplay.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Tying the discussion to 2021 standards is a weird way to frame the argument. BOTW was already a low-res, relatively low-framerate game back in 2017 and I don't think it has aged much since then, much less since the "last time [you] played it" (1-2 years ago).

There's no discussion that it feels a bit shackled by the only official hardware it's been released on, but that's always been the case and will be as long as we don't have a port on a much more powerful machine.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
BotW was punching above its weight and comparing it to games which are 2 generations further along on an actual home console instead of a portable is dumb.
If anything it's a wonder how close it is to stuff like Immortals. It's better designed by leaps and bounds and the fact that it basically set the new benchmark for the genre and is still the primary source of inspiration shows how well it has aged.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Thank you. I don't get why anyone would defend companies releasing badly performing games. It's like people don't have any standards for the things they spend their money on.
I don't know about anyone else. But that's a bit insulting to me. Of course people have standard. But it's not always the same as you have. You can't judge other's opinions.

And if you think BotW is already badly aged. Try playing Ocarina of Time again.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There are certain technical qualities for games or movies so fundamental that they shouldn't be "valued" - they should be expected no questions asked, and proper image quality and performance are among them.

Metroid Prime released in 2002, Haunting Ground released in 2005, both run at smooth 60fps. I don't care about the hardware, I care about the games, and BotW looks blurry, runs poorly and has aged badly just a few years after release.

Alternatively, they have standards but frame rates sit so far down the list of things they care about when assessing a game that it's negligible. When frame rates get to the point of Skyrim on PS3 where it was a literal slideshow at launch once your save file got to a certain size, then yeah, I notice it and complain about it. But BotW? Any frame rate complaints sit well below my issues with the the inventory system, lack of story and samey art direction of 100+ shrines, when I didn't even notice the frame rates in comparison. I rarely do, and comparisons to films just don't work for me in interactive media where I'm in it for the immersion, expression and game mechanics, not obsessing over the fidelity. I get that high levels of performance that others can't even see is the highest thing on the list when criticising a game for some, but for me it's only something I notice when it's actively stopping me play it. I'm glad I have a high tolerance for it, I guess.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah still waiting on a Nintendo system that does justice to the great art and artstyle that these artists have come up with.
Thus far it has always been jaggy and blurry as fuck. The games are amazing but the systems are a bit lacking in power imo.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Looking at your post history perhaps you just have a problem with the Switch in general and it's not Zelda which is the problem?

F423-A955-3-D71-4307-8899-0-BF831-EA0395.jpg

FEE56-D0-E-9847-4-F6-D-96-B8-5746099-D55-AE.jpg
I love when a thread backfires hahahha

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
People do have standards, and "solid 30 fps with drops sometimes" is and has been the baseline of those standards for decades now for people who play on consoles.

Like you say you're a big Zelda fan, Ocarina of Time runs a lot worse than BoTW. And it came out in 1998!
Exactly. I loved OoT. But that was 1998. It's 2021 now. There should be nothing wrong with having higher expectations regarding performance or image quality after 23 years and yet here we are.

BotW and Fire Emblem certainly don't feel like "solid 30 fps with drops sometimes" to me.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I know it's *technically* not productive to just be saying people take desiring games to be 60 FPS to absolute extremes but like.... it's pretty goddamned extreme. It's almost like you'll see people rate games they otherwise completely like a 0/10 must because it's running at 55 frames instead of a full 60.

The game ain't that bad, just because the FPS isnt 60 shouldn't be a problem for this type of game anyway

I remember there was some 60fps police curation group on Steam that would go around flagging any title that didn't run at 60. Mad, toxic, statistic obsessed audience.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hard disagree. I have an XSX and a Ps5. I've been watching my wife play BotW this last month and I'm shocked at how good it still looks and how well it holds up compared to every open world games even four years later.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Played on Switch (handheld tho, the performance are better than docked IIRC) last month and it's still the same masterpiece that I played on Wii U in 2017. It doesn't age, it's timeless imho

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Could not disagree more. I played BOTW as my first Zelda game in 2018 following a long period where I was completely disinterested in gaming and thought the hobby wasn't for me anymore. BOTW changed that. It gave me the childlike wonder I had when I was a kid. I couldn't stop playing or thinking about the game, it was nothing short of magical and it reignited my passion for the medium completely despite me not usually being a fan of open world games. I got the DLC two days ago and it's been just as amazing to revisit this world and do more in it. I'm loving every second in Hyrule and this game is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Exactly. I loved OoT. But that was 1998. It's 2021 now. There should be nothing wrong with having higher expectations regarding performance or image quality after 23 years and yet here we are.

BotW and Fire Emblem certainly don't feel like "solid 30 fps with drops sometimes" to me.
When those expectations being met is the exception rather than the norm then yes, maybe you need to adjust them a bit.

Like I will always prefer 60 fps to 30 but I'm a console player so I know the kind of sacrifices that had to be made to even hit 30 sometimes.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going by this thread, I'm truly blessed for not getting bothered by FPS or resolution. I have been playing BotW on and off over the past months and it's still a great experience as it was in 2018 when I first played it.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
A. Fuck the entire way off with this condescension. Your value systems are not better than anyone else's. Get off your high horse.

B. BotW has dips in one area. It's 95% of the time a 30fps lock in normal gameplay. That's fine, not "badly performing". As for your comparisons to Metroid Prime and Haunting Ground, those are mostly enclosed single-room spaces. Not rendering an open world. Extremely flawed comparison. Do you really even understand framerate or are you memeing?

(This is coming from someone with a Series X and a PC matched to be powerful enough to work with a 1080p/144Hz monitor, by the way, so don't think I don't understand the benefits of high framerate.)

Last edited:

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
This forum's obsession with performance, and particularly frame rates, is tiresome enough, but it's really wild that some of y'all don't have the self-awareness to realize that it's not a priority to the vast majority of people.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Op, i think its time you start giving up on Nintendo hardware

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

For the record, when OoT came out there were 60 fps games already. The framerate was sacrificed in order to create the game envisioned, and going by history, that may have been the best move. BotW is not that different in that sense.

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's *technically* not productive to just be saying people take desiring games to be 60 FPS to absolute extremes but like.... it's pretty goddamned extreme. It's almost like you'll see people rate games they otherwise completely like a 0/10 must because it's running at 55 frames instead of a full 60.

The game ain't that bad, just because the FPS isnt 60 shouldn't be a problem for this type of game anyway
i rmr i saw people feaking out about Mario kart 8 running at 59fps cuz of a bug and they saying how they noticed it and it was "unplayable"

Jun 2, 2019
A. Fuck the entire way off with this condescension. Your value systems are not better than anyone else's. Get off your high horse.

B. BotW has dips in one area. It's 95% of the time a 30fps lock in normal gameplay. That's fine. As for your comparisons to Metroid Prime and Haunting Ground, those are mostly enclosed single-room spaces. Not rendering an open world. Extremely flawed comparison. Do you really even understand framerate or are you memeing?

Lookong at his recent post history, dude has just discovered 60 fps and instant load times thanks to a SSD and he's tripping balls.

My answer to OP is... No, is hasn't aged badly, in fact it hasn't aged at all.

This is just a stealth console warring thread

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that nintendo rarely prioritizes visuals and performance with their hardware and it is embarrassing in 2021. Actually pleasantly surprised the topic was about this.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"No excuses"

"unacceptable"

God I'm just happy I didn't turn out to be this type of gamer.
Elitism exists in all sorts of hobbies. From book fans who only read stuff from 50 years ago to movie fans that only watch "classics", these groups exclude and chastise anything that doesn't match their vision of their hobby.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It looks worse and runs worse than you remember if you only played it at launch, but the game is still incredible even with that being said.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Ordinarily I'm a "30 fps is always bad" type of person, but I found BoTW to probably have one of the most stable framerates I've ever seen. There is one place in that game that I can remember not locking 30, and it's the Korok forest. As for resolution, it's somewhat low but I think Nintendo created the style with that limitation in mind, and has never looked bad to me personally. But I'm much more of a stickler for framerate than image quality.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
"It's easy to get spoiled by 60fps" is the nicest thing I can think to post about this

krull1983

Jan 10, 2021
Good news!!!!

Super Switch (not Switch 2), is prolly coming this fall along with BOTW2. If my prediction of 2.5x gpu/cpu (and dlss) is true........should run like a marathoner!

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure, standards regarding image quality compared to N64/PSone with 240p haven't changed at all. LOL
And you compare state of the art hardware for TV experience to a game that came out in 2017 in mind for a console with specs a bit above the 360 which came out in 2006. If you expected to have 1080p60 games with compelling gameplay on a Switch then you are just out of your mind.
30fps is the standard and perfectly fine for many games an genre. Sure 60 would be better but often that is neither feasible nor neccessary.

And if you can't enjoy games with less than 1080p or only 30fps then I'm sorry for you missing out on so many great games

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me, Breath of the Wild feels like an old classic already.

It feels like going back and playing Shenmue again or Super Mario 64 or even Ocarina of Time.

Obviously I'm not saying it has graphics as dated as those old games, but it feels like a timeless classic in that same way. BUT it's a timeless classic that clearly can't hold a candle to modern games graphics/performance wise.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I respectfully disagree, but I also must say that I play on CEMU, at 4k and more than 60 fps. The game is just beautiful, with amazing animations and gameplay. I always drop by to explore the world and play around with the physics.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I just don't understand why people put high standards for performance and image quality in a positive light when all it does is limiting the amount of stuff you can play.

Maybe it helps justify your console purchase but what about the moment a big Sony exclusive turns out to be too demanding to maintain more than 30fps on PS5? Will console players return to use the "30 fps is good enough" card?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
How is performance aging badly if it still performs exactly the same way it did four years ago? It's not like standards have really changed since then (though we might see them changing heading into next gen).

I have a 3090 and I've been playing through Control and Cyberpunk at >100fps. I can go back to playing Breath of the Wild just fine. Sure it just meets the minimum (IMO) standards for performance, but I think 30fps is going to be considered acceptable for a long while, even though more games will start to offer higher framerate modes. BOTW has got incredible game design and that's what matters most.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's the truth if you can't see that figuratively and literally then maybe you should take a second look.
If that is the truth it means that 99% of all video games age badly

This is just an incredibly bad take, the game is exactly the same as when it released and it's still a masterpiece. You just have a problem with the system which is fine, the game has nothing to do with your problems.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
No. Sorry I have to disagree with you OP. I'm replaying it after coming from a few PS5 games and I have had no issues going back to the lower res and frame rate. The game plays so well and the world is so fun to explore. Not everything revolves around pixels and frame rate.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
This is probably one of the main reason I'm yet to buy a switch, its just not worth the price they are asking for how poor a lot of games look and run, but damn do i want to play some mario kart.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I play it mostly on CEMU nowadays, but I beat BotW on the Switch and... I don't remember it having a choppy framerate and bad IQ at all. It was a perfectly serviceable 30fps at 900p.

Think you're exaggerating or maybe you're using a defective unit.

This is probably one of the main reason I'm yet to buy a switch, its just not worth the price they are asking for how poor games look and run, but damn do i want to play some mario kart.

uhh?? Mario Kart runs in Full HD at a locked 60fps (30fps in 4 player multiplayer), I don't understand what you're talking about.

Star Wild eo

Jul 22, 2020
I'm probably in the minority but FPS in games is hardly something that bothers me unless it's downright unplayable.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm probably in the minority but FPS in games is hardly something that bothers me unless it's downright unplayable.
You aren't at all, I think that's very common, it's certainly the way I feel given it rarely makes the list of things I do criticise about games when talking about my impressions of them here. I'd be surprised if I ever had outside of really bad ones, the most recent was The Outer Worlds on Switch.