• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually quite the opposite. Playing it right now again and I'm shocked how good it holds up. There is a reason it's considered a classic and people still pick it up.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's the truth if you can't see that figuratively and literally then maybe you should take a second look.
I think we're stretching the measure of truth really thin if non-ideal performance means the game as a whole has aged badly.

On top of which, the game's performance has always been what it is, and it was criticized even back then. There's nothing about it that aged for the worse considering it even got a patch addressing some of the more egregious performance issues.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Looking at your post history perhaps you just have a problem with the Switch in general and it's not Zelda which is the problem?

F423-A955-3-D71-4307-8899-0-BF831-EA0395.jpg

FEE56-D0-E-9847-4-F6-D-96-B8-5746099-D55-AE.jpg
Come on, don't do this.

I certainly feel lucky that I'm not someone that is bothered by performance issues. Especially as I like older games whichare rarely 60fps

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've played the game in glorious ultrawide at 100+ FPS with an increased FOV mod on CEMU but haven't had any problems going back to the Switch version. I still remember being dumbstruck seeing it run on the tablet on launch day, especially coming from the 3DS.

The only framerate dips that stood out to me were in the Korok Forest (or when I purposefully taxed the physics system, like lighting many things on fire). I really don't think it "struggles" to hold that framerate, unlike the port of Assassin's Creed III (a shame, since Black Flag has much better performance).

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I can go back and play Ocarina of Time at like 15 FPS on the 64 with no issue. I guess performance of older games doesn't affect me.

To the extent that you have no choice, it's easier to deal with. I fiddle with PC settings for hours sometimes getting the perfect balance of visuals and performance but on console you just kind of have to deal with it.

That being said, any release that doesn't address the framerate can go fuck itself.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yeah I think it's more unfortunately the Switch that is fast becoming outdated. I'm hoping the switch pro or 2 launches late this year/early next year with BOTW2.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
Aside from the framedrops and maybe the dungeons' design (too repetitive in comparison to other games in the series, although the controls were a great idea), the game is an absolute masterpiece. Greatest Nintendo game i've ever played in my life.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
I think this kind of thinking is derivative of what type of game it is. I have no issues going back to play BOTW again, but I may have some re-playing other games unless there is a bump in performance. For example, I played Marvel's Spider-Man, enjoyed the game and story immensely, but once I finished it, that was enough for me. But then the remastered version came out on PS5 with better graphics and framerate, and that gave me an incentive to play it again. But for a game like BOTW, I can go back to it without issues at its current state.

And of course I'll jump back on BOTW if five years from now it gets a 4K 60fps version. That game is just beautiful.

Yueezy

Dec 12, 2020
I have to disagree after playing games on 3070 at max settings, BOTW is just fine.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
As a big Zelda fan I put over 200 hours into Breath of the Wild and thoroughly enjoyed it, including its Add-Ons. The last time I played it was 1-2 years ago.

So I was in the mood for some Zelda again and started BotW - and was seriously shocked by how bad it looks and runs. Both resolution and framerate are a mess. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but there simply is no better way to describe it.

BotW has a nice art style, its world is beautifully designed and realized and the gameplay is fun (I even like the breakable equipment), but unfortunately the low resolution makes this nice art style and beautiful world look completely blurry, and the performance... man, I really don't remember BotW running this badly.

Depending on which part of Hyrule you are exploring, it feels like this game is struggling to even hold 25 frames per second.
Replayed it recently and it still feels absolutely fine to me. The hyperbole surrounding framerate and resolution on this board is understandable given it's mostly enthusiasts here but still feels quite silly when something that performs slightly below 30fps in some areas and isn't 1080p is described as a mess.

Another excellent example is Fire Emblem Three Houses - this game is a technical mess and was basically outdated on the day it released. The worst thing is, reviews mostly ignored that and scored it into the 90s.
Surely you're aware that reviews don't work like that. Technical performance may be of utmost importance to some people but for others it's lower down the list meaning they're enjoyment wasn't affected by it, so why should their review (and score) be?

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Recently began a replay after finishing AoC, and I couldn't disagree more. BoTW remains a classic for me despite the frame rate.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the extent that you have no choice, it's easier to deal with. I fiddle with PC settings for hours sometimes getting the perfect balance of visuals and performance but on console you just kind of have to deal with it.

That being said, any release that doesn't address the framerate can go fuck itself.
I can enjoy entire games in that timeframe

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game doesn't even hit 30 FPS consistently is the problem. If it was a smooth 30 it would be much less of an issue.

I like a good 60fps, trust me. But if Breath of the Wild is some sort of mess that aged badly, then I don't know what to say. I'd agree if it was an Ocarina of Time situation. But BoTW is perfectly playable.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Framerate isn't next gen. Next gen hardware lets us play older less demanding games at smoother framerates but you're definitely going to get a hell of a lot of 30fps experiences when next gen kicks into gear.

Lots of old stuff out there that runs at 60fps and higher. DMC4 can run at 300fps or something crazy like that, very old game.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I fiddle with PC settings for hours sometimes getting the perfect balance of visuals and performance

That is the what got me to bin off PC gaming. Honestly, I would rather I just accept whatever the game throws at me rather than have to sit and faff around with settings. Most of the time, I just hoped my hardware could brute force everything at maximum (did they run at 60? no idea, didn't care), and I simply didn't buy anything that was too demanding until my next big upgrade.

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're stretching the measure of truth really thin if non-ideal performance means the game as a whole has aged badly.

On top of which, the game's performance has always been what it is, and it was criticized even back then. There's nothing about it that aged for the worse considering it even got a patch addressing some of the more egregious performance issues.
Not if you're looking at currently released games especially on the newer systems which are offering higher frame rates. Versus then where 30 FPS was much more than norm. Yes I understand we're in the transition. Between last gen and current gen and we will see more 30fps stuff crop up. but we're going to also see you stuff that's not going to be struggling under 30 a lot less than we were 4 years ago. So from the point of view is where we were then versus where we are now it has aged. But the same could be said for also any other games being made around that certain point that are also performing the same roughly as well. Look at Zelda 64 that thing was barely in the 20 FPS range everybody loved the game, yeah there was some talk of the frame issues but at the time there was really nothing else to compare it to. That's kind of we are now. The game itself isn't any worse than where it was when it was released, It's just the game surrounding it have better performance now.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
The forest where you find the Master Sword, in special, is really terrible. Must have frame dips below the 20s.

The rest of the game is pretty much ok considering its a cross-gen game with the Wii U. They will probably be able to improve it a good chunk in the sequel.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
Yeah, no.
One of the best games ever.
The performance is stable enough and the design is timeless.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
I recently finished my second playthrough of BOTW since launch. I loved it.

That's after playing Demons Souls, spiderman and DMC 5 at 60fps on PS5 🤷‍♂️

Huddy

Feb 11, 2018
I'm about 40 hrs into my second playthrough. It's technically solid enough with rare drops in performance, but that is easily overlooked by just how much of a wonderful experience it is to play.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't bothered me as I am watching my son play it currently. I can see how if you have been playing a ton of 60fps games how it may bother you though.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I generally believe that performance is one of the, if not THE most important aspect(s) determining how well a game ages,
Can't say I'll ever understand the use of performance/fidelity as a marker of quality in how a game ages, comparisons to film fidelity or fascination with specs in general, but to each their own. Some of my favourite 8-bit and 16-bit games have terrible stuttering and slowdown in busy screens, but it's the art direction, gameplay, worldbuilding and mechanics that keeps me coming back, not checking it's hitting some frame rate counter consistently. I love Fire Emblem for the turn-based combat mechanics, not the combat animation that I largely switch off in most of the games anyway.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
Korok Forest is terrible and should have been changed if they couldn't get it to run well, though at least there's no threats in the area of the forest that runs badly that would require fast reactions.

Otherwise I played the game a month ago having not played since launch and I didn't even notice the framerate particularly.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's not particularly good looking but I can't say I ever noticed the frame rate, which I definitely did in Fire Emblem and others

Not being able to climb in the rain is honestly the bigger crime

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I know it's *technically* not productive to just be saying people take desiring games to be 60 FPS to absolute extremes but like.... it's pretty goddamned extreme. It's almost like you'll see people rate games they otherwise completely like a 0/10 must because it's running at 55 frames instead of a full 60.

The game ain't that bad, just because the FPS isnt 60 shouldn't be a problem for this type of game anyway

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
As a big Zelda fan I put over 200 hours into Breath of the Wild and thoroughly enjoyed it, including its Add-Ons. The last time I played it was 1-2 years ago.

So I was in the mood for some Zelda again and started BotW - and was seriously shocked by how bad it looks and runs. Both resolution and framerate are a mess. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but there simply is no better way to describe it.

BotW has a nice art style, its world is beautifully designed and realized and the gameplay is fun (I even like the breakable equipment), but unfortunately the low resolution makes this nice art style and beautiful world look completely blurry, and the performance... man, I really don't remember BotW running this badly.

Depending on which part of Hyrule you are exploring, it feels like this game is struggling to even hold 25 frames per second.

It's not like the game's technical aspects are just not impressive or groundbreaking enough - it's like the game doesn't even get the fundamentals right. Shouldn't decent image quality and smooth controls/gameplay be a given for any game at this day and age? It's 2021 and I'm stuck playing BotW in a blurry and stuttering fashion and that's the baseline Nintendo has set for one of their biggest releases ever. It shouldn't be too much to ask this masterpiece of a game - or any game - to have crisp image (and audio) quality and smooth performance first and foremost, and I really don't like that Nintendo or any other game companies tend to get a pass for this.

Another excellent example is Fire Emblem Three Houses - this game is a technical mess and was basically outdated on the day it released. The worst thing is, reviews mostly ignored that and scored it into the 90s. If the new James Bond movie released with blurry image or compressed audio quality, do you think reviews would praise it anyway? No. Movie critics would tear the film apart. Movies have established a baseline for certain technical standards they are expected to meet, which also helps in terms of futureproofing. I wish there was something similar for games. The only thing I can remember is Sony saying no game releasing on PSVR is ever allowed to drop frames below 120fps - or else it won't get released.

I generally believe that performance is one of the, if not THE most important aspect(s) determining how well a game ages, and Breath of the Wild shows that.

My prime positive examples are Metroid Prime and Haunting Ground
- these games have aged wonderfully from a technical perspective, despite their low resolution they both look, and even more importantly, play great even today, both running at smooth 60fps (Haunting Ground's meticulously directed fixed camera work also helps a lot).

Compare them to non-60fps games from the same era. The difference in overall look and playability is staggering.

TL;DR:
Technical shortcomings like poor performance make games age badly, and BotW shows that.

Maybe getting spoiled by Playstation 5 games with 4k, 60fps and nonexistant load time is a real thing already.
Well the framerate is...okay...kinda. its not that bad, and it got better than on release, but a 100% stable 30fps would be nice.
Resolution was a problem from the start, and the LoD and low rez textures where too. There is a beatifull game hidden under tose limitations.
And i was saying that in the beginning. the game is so great that i can see over those flaws, but a switch pro is really really needed to get those things sorted out, and i hope that not being hindered by the wii u improves stuff like texture quality. Load times between shrines got better with the new overclocked profile for loading, but still not where it should be.

So yeah, great game that is technically limited by the hardware.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible that we have so many users who only just started gaming with Ps5/Xbox series consoles.

Oh the tales we could tell you, of ages past. All your complaints about 30fps games at only 720 or 900p would seem foolish in retrospect.

Nov 18, 2017
The only areas I can really recall it getting truly choppy was the lost woods,

sure 60fps wouldve been better but its not like Zelda's combat is particularly anything to write home about anyway?
I never once felt30fps held the game back.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The title made me think you found the game as a whole to have aged badly, but if it's about performance and resolution, then yeah emulation will have to do for now.
I completely disagree with your premise that poor performance makes a game less enjoyable.
Poor performance does indeed make a game less enjoyable, but poor performance doesn't really apply to BotW. It could run better, sure, but poor performance is an exaggeration.

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I generally believe that performance is one of the, if not THE most important aspect(s) determining how well a game ages, and Breath of the Wild shows that.

17adc0726ad5ac92e4529635b03db649.gif

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
thats not what "aging badly" means

even more because if a new switch is launched and then botw performs better, then what? the game "deages" magically?

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Looking at your post history perhaps you just have a problem with the Switch in general and it's not Zelda which is the problem?
Considering you said this in another thread:

I think Switch is not your kind of device, since the things you value are not easily achieved on hybrid hardwares.
There are certain technical qualities for games or movies so fundamental that they shouldn't be "valued" - they should be expected no questions asked, and proper image quality and performance are among them.

Metroid Prime released in 2002, Haunting Ground released in 2005, both run at smooth 60fps. I don't care about the hardware, I care about the games, and BotW looks blurry, runs poorly and has aged badly just a few years after release.

I think framerate is the exception to this - 30 is absolutely playable and enjoyable, but i don't think drops below are really acceptable even on hybrid hardware. A game being on the Switch doesn't make it immune to criticism in that regard.
Thank you. I don't get why anyone would defend companies releasing badly performing games. It's like people don't have any standards for the things they spend their money on.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
So, when BotW drops frames, it drops straight to 20 due to its vsync implementation. This is what you're experiencing.

But unless you're playing on Wii U, I don't understand the complaint. There's a few small areas where it drops frames, and everything else is a locked 30. IIRC the Plateau is one of these places, but once you leave you can count the areas on one hand (and they're mostly really small and require the right conditions).

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only problem I have with the game is the inventory system and the controls. I guess I wanted more content too but I understand that they wanted to move on instead of adding an additional dlc.

As for frame rate and resolution, that would be a hardware limitation of the wiiu to switch. The sequel should look a tad bit better.

I am hoping the sequel has underwater areas that you can swim to. I just want underground everything including towns.

My issues can be fixed with the deluxe edition, 20 years from now.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
I would put BoTW back into my Switch to test it out but I'd probably end up playing it another 200 hours for third time.