• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
As a big Zelda fan I put over 200 hours into Breath of the Wild and thoroughly enjoyed it, including its Add-Ons. The last time I played it was 1-2 years ago.

So I was in the mood for some Zelda again and started BotW - and was seriously shocked by how bad it looks and runs. Both resolution and framerate are a mess. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but there simply is no better way to describe it.

BotW has a nice art style, its world is beautifully designed and realized and the gameplay is fun (I even like the breakable equipment), but unfortunately the low resolution makes this nice art style and beautiful world look completely blurry, and the performance... man, I really don't remember BotW running this badly.

Depending on which part of Hyrule you are exploring, it feels like this game is struggling to even hold 25 frames per second.

It's not like the game's technical aspects are just not impressive or groundbreaking enough - it's like the game doesn't even get the fundamentals right. Shouldn't decent image quality and smooth controls/gameplay be a given for any game at this day and age? It's 2021 and I'm stuck playing BotW in a blurry and stuttering fashion and that's the baseline Nintendo has set for one of their biggest releases ever. It shouldn't be too much to ask this masterpiece of a game - or any game - to have crisp image (and audio) quality and smooth performance first and foremost, and I really don't like that Nintendo or any other game companies tend to get a pass for this.

Another excellent example is Fire Emblem Three Houses - this game is a technical mess and was basically outdated on the day it released. The worst thing is, reviews mostly ignored that and scored it into the 90s. If the new James Bond movie released with blurry image or compressed audio quality, do you think reviews would praise it anyway? No. Movie critics would tear the film apart. Movies have established a baseline for certain technical standards they are expected to meet, which also helps in terms of futureproofing. I wish there was something similar for games. The only thing I can remember is Sony saying no game releasing on PSVR is ever allowed to drop frames below 120fps - or else it won't get released.

I generally believe that performance is one of the, if not THE most important aspect(s) determining how well a game ages, and Breath of the Wild shows that.

My prime positive examples are Metroid Prime and Haunting Ground
- these games have aged wonderfully from a technical perspective, despite their low resolution they both look, and even more importantly, play great even today, both running at smooth 60fps (Haunting Ground's meticulously directed fixed camera work also helps a lot).

Compare them to non-60fps games from the same era. The difference in overall look and playability is staggering.

TL;DR:
Technical shortcomings like poor performance make games age badly, and BotW shows that.

Maybe getting spoiled by Playstation 5 games with 4k, 60fps and nonexistant load time is a real thing already.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I also played it a few years back, but that was one of the reasons I stopped after around 15-20 hours. And it just didn't feel very good, nor did I think it was any fun. Not for me I guess.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it mostly a locked 30 after the patch apart from a few areas in the game? 900p also isn't what I would call blurry, looks good enough.
But as has been mentioned, yeah just emulate it if you want better.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
uuuh.
I disagree.
I still spend some time on this great world, despite having played better performing games.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I think it looks great and the only area I experienced technical issues was the forest.

That being said, the severity of the frame dips in the forest are unacceptable

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Considering you said this in another thread:
Nintendo's figures are impressive for sure, but the Switch can't even run its games with decent resolution, framerate and load times anymore, so from a player perspective I can't say I'm happy with this situation.

I think Switch is not your kind of device, since the things you value are not easily achieved on hybrid hardwares.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I do feel like it would be tough to go back to after playing Immortals.

Lokoline

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Playing it right now for the first time and it's completely fine, would be nice at 1080p but I got used to 900p/720p pretty fast.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The technical issues (or limitations) were always there, lots of people said so right from the start. Imo it doesn't detract from the experience much if at all. After the game was patched it ran a fairly solid 30fps except for the Lost Woods. For a Switch launch game the game runs more than respectable imo considering the scope of the game. Besides, it's really unfair to compare an almost 4 year old game on under-powered hardware to PS5.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Looking at your post history perhaps you just have a problem with the Switch in general and it's not Zelda which is the problem?

F423-A955-3-D71-4307-8899-0-BF831-EA0395.jpg

FEE56-D0-E-9847-4-F6-D-96-B8-5746099-D55-AE.jpg

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm not sensitive to noticing this stuff, but I never experienced anything major outside of the Korok Forest when I replayed it last year. They cleaned it up pretty significantly from launch where there would be 1-2 second hard locks upon hitting Moblins.

Fire Emblem looks and runs like absolute shit. You won't get an argument from me there. Thankfully the actual game is good.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I played the game on WiiU for 200 hours and it was fine. Then played it on Cemu in 4K at 60 fps and it was great. Started it again on Switch in handheld mode and still think it is fine. Of course 4K@60 was the best version but even going back to Switch after that was no problem at all.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah performance isn't how you determine how well a game ages, if it was unplayable that means it was unplayable at launch

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I guess yah but I played and beat the game mainly in handheld mode and loved every second of it.

When it comes to Nintendo games, I never really care about the technical limitations because the games are so polished in terms of gameplay.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Enh. You let a lot of gaming history go to waste if you get too hung up on performance. I just can't bring myself to care too much, but appreciate when it's done well. Comparing it to movies is... questionable. I'm sure some movie buffs could explain to you why some popular movies have terrible technical quality, but are passable for the average film-goer.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still works well enough just like 4 years ago and the standards haven't really changed since then.
So how did this age badly?

And reading your entire OP, go and play PC. Framerate and number of polygons alone don't determine how good a game is

yenwah

Oct 3, 2020
Considering you said this in another thread:

I think Switch is not your kind of device, since the things you value are not easily achieved on hybrid hardwares.

I think framerate is the exception to this - 30 is absolutely playable and enjoyable, but i don't think drops below are really acceptable even on hybrid hardware. A game being on the Switch doesn't make it immune to criticism in that regard.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
it still feels waaaaay ahead of it's time in many game design elements so I was coming with my pitchfork and torch but ok technical aspects are a decent enough complaint, though I thought the framerate was pretty solid?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't it mostly a locked 30 after the patch apart from a few areas in the game? 900p also isn't what I would call blurry, looks good enough.
But as has been mentioned, yeah just emulate it if you want better.
I think only the korok forest has consistent frame drops, shame because its one of the most beautiful areas.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Weird going from Zelda to Fire Emblem, but ok. There are a lot of pretty games that are bad and a lot of games that may not be the prettiest that are good.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that you baited people in with BotW, but ended up shitting on 30 FPS. 😂 Hey man, I completely agree actually. It's not that 30 FPS age badly, they were bad all along and I hope that shit dies out with this new generation.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
We all knew it had these problems at launch (when the technical problems were more widespread), and it was fun and got fantastic word of mouth then and now anyway.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I got a PC late last year and I've played incredible looking games like Gears 5 at over 144hz in 1080p and I would still rather look at and play BOTW. The art style will age incredibly well, and in the future when we get more capable Nintendo hardware we'll get a port that runs it at 60fps or better.

I love all of these threads that are like "maybe I'm spoiled by my amazing 4k 60fps PS5 games" where PC players have been doing this stuff for years at even better frame rates. lol

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I never really had any problem with performance or other technical issues, other than the Korok Forest frame drops and slightly washed out colors at times.

But I also played almost entirely in handheld.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
30fps (and BOTW struggles to maintain that) is unacceptable in every instance.

The game being so good was worth putting up with that, as was Bloodborne and God of War and a bunch of other great games, but yeah it's an issue worth raising and hopefully no game is made with 30fps in mind on post-Switch hardware.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
There's a thread I've been thinking about making if I can ever get my thoughts together on it enough to write it, but it's about how I feel like the recent focus on raw performance, pixel counting, etc has apparently ruined gaming for a subset of the video game playing audience. I'm not saying games shouldn't run well, but the bar for what is "enjoyable" is, in my mind, weirdly high for some people.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a hard time controlling myself not to boot it up again for the fourth time and getting lost again in the playground. Game of the forever for me.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I really don't care about the performance. The game mechanics are what hold up or don't. I didn't even expect to see a performance analysis here -- it just seemed irrelevant. The load time could be better, sure I guess

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
There's a thread I've been thinking about making if I can ever get my thoughts together on it enough to write it, but it's about how I feel like the recent focus on raw performance, pixel counting, etc has apparently ruined gaming for a subset of the video game playing audience. I'm not saying games shouldn't run well, but the bar for what is "enjoyable" is, in my mind, weirdly high for some people.
I stopped carrying for DF analysis and discussions and my gaming moments got better.

don't get me wrong, they do a great job, but somethings are better if you ignore it. at least when it comes to these technical aspects.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I can go back and play Ocarina of Time at like 15 FPS on the 64 with no issue. I guess performance of older games doesn't affect me.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has got to be trolling, I remember you also made the thread about being mindblown by 60fps on the new Xbox and PS5 consoles, as if 60fps never happened before.