• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the next Smash pairs down the roster and really updates certain characters movesets.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I still wouldn't say he would have good recovery even if he was able to use his Up+B after a side+B. The reason it primarily bugs me Incineroar has essentially the same move, a command grab you can use in the air and on the ground and he can also use up+B after side+B. I really wish Smash was consistent with some of their rules.
Incineroar's up+b is high risk, high reward. It gets more verticality than Ganondorf, but all of its horizontal distance is gained when going down. He has no ability to drift after using it and will KO himself if he doesn't get to stage. If he could only do one or the other his recovery would be only slightly better than Mac's if that.

It's not a matter of rules. Different characters are built differently for the sake of game balance.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
It is unfortunate, but I do think that because Smash Ultimate touts that "Everyone is Here!", he needs to stay close to the earlier Smash version of the character. They can change him to be more faithful to his TLoZ roots in the next game.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not that Ganondorf has any massive moveset in the original games
also el o el at the fanbase bitching about sword characters and then wanting another Ike

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Frankly, Ganondorf is fine the way he is.

Especially because his archetype is rare. The whole concept of a magic warrior is already done better by other characters.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like most of Ganondorf's moveset the way it is and given how absurdly popular he is online it seems a lot of other people do too.
That said, if I had to make one change I'd be to change the neutral B to Dead Man's volley. That is like one of his most iconic moves, it even got referenced in Wind Waker via Phantom Ganon.
Warlock Punch as it stands is a worse version of Falcon Punch without the cool voice line or Fire effect to go along with it. I don't think that move would be missed much (if you want to hit someone real hard with a single attack there's still FSmash and UpTilt).

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
If they change his moveset next game, I hope that he at least keeps some of his falcon moves. It would feel weird if he lost all of them. They are apart of Smash Ganon's identity, even if it didn't make sense.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai just doesn't really want to completely change a character's moveset and thus turning them into an entirely different character altogether, like what Capcom did with Jill back in MVC3.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...a-plant-character-changes-online-much-more/3/

In terms of requests, there were a lot that entailed wanting Ganondorf to use a sword. I felt like renewing a few of the fighters was a good decision but changing them too much would have made them completely different characters.

My guess is that he gives each character their own sort of identity and wants said characters to retain that identity going forward into future installments, as a means of not completely alienating those who liked playing as them in previous games. Ganondorf was born as a Falcon clone, and thus he'll remain a deriative of Falcon at his core, even with all the new changes he's received over the years.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I like Ganondorf the way he is, though I can't believe he doesn't have that volley magic attack all these years later. That's *the* signature Ganon/sort move.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I've been maining Ganondorf since 2001 and am more proficient with him than the rest of the cast combined. I would need to rewrite my entire Smash Bros muscle memory if they changed up his moveset

With that in mind, they should absolutely scrap his moveset and redesign him from the ground up to feel like an evil wizard with the same kind of care and detail that new characters get. Ganondorf rules and his moveset should resemble him more than not at all

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Ganondorf without his dead man's volley is no Ganondorf at all #NotMyGanondorf

I actually really like playing him, but yeah it may as well not even be Ganondorf

Real talk though I think this is true of many of the older characters. I'd be fine if they held back on newcomers in the hypothetical next game if it meant overhauling some of the existing roster to closer match the complexity and faithfulness of newer additions. Give DK a roll jump and a barrel throw for the love of god

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more bothered by the Triforce Slash. It's not representative of anything the Links do in the Zelda games. Young Link should have Fierce Deity as a Final Smash. He also should have been based on the Majora's Mask design rather than Ocarina of Time. I want justice.

fierce-deity-link-hyrule-warriors.jpg

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I'll echo the sentiment that I would like Smash 6 to have a pared down roster with returning characters having more faithful movesets

I would very happy with three Zelda characters (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf) if Zelda and Ganondorf felt rooted in the fiction of the games they come from. If you need a fourth character and/or a Sheik replacement, Impa circa Skyward Sword or Age of Calamity would be a good—and canonical!—pick

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo the sentiment that I would like Smash 6 to have a pared down roster with returning characters having more faithful movesets

I would very happy with three Zelda characters (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf) if Zelda and Ganondorf felt rooted in the fiction of the games they come from. If you need a fourth character and/or a Sheik replacement, Impa circa Skyward Sword or Age of Calamity would be a good—and canonical!—pick
like hell I wil have my favourite character being axed just so ganondorf can have a projectile

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
like hell I wil have my favourite character being axed just so ganondorf can have a projectile
So which is your favorite character? Link, Link, or Link? And it's not about Ganondorf having a projectile, it's about all legacy characters having movesets that are true to them in the way new character movesets are

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
none of those 3, but as you talk about "reducing the roster" anyone I care about could be on the chopping block
I mean, yeah. That's sort of the name of the game. I go into this with clear eyes, too: if they reduce the roster, Ganondorf might not be in it at all! He hasn't been really essential to the fiction of the series since, like... 2006? Maybe he'll be big in BOTW2. But even if he is, that might not warrant him a space on a reduced roster!

That's a worthy and healthy trade-off for a uniformly well-crafted roster that feels like the characters they're inspired by

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I agree.

Unfortunately, the way he plays is so established in Smash that changing him would probably upset a fair number of people.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if they reduce the roster, Ganondorf might not be in it at all! He hasn't been really essential to the fiction of the series since, like... 2006? Maybe he'll be big in BOTW2. But even if he is, that might not warrant him a space on a reduced roster!
Ganondorf and Ganon are the same as far as the story is concerned (especially as the final smash as him trasnforming into the pig so we can really drop the pretense they are separate entities)
So keeping in account that he appeared in almost every Zelda game anyway, Skyward Sword in 2011 was his origin story and BOTW definitely features him, calamity even has his upper body including the gem on the forehead!
He's almost omnipresent in the Zelda series like Bowser is to Mario

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Ganondorf and Ganon are the same as far as the story is concerned (especially as the final smash as him trasnforming into the pig so we can really drop the pretense they are separate entities)
So keeping in account that he appeared in almost every Zelda game anyway, Skyward Sword in 2011 was his origin story and BOTW definitely features him, calamity even has his upper body including the gem on the forehead!
He's almost omnipresent in the Zelda series like Bowser is to Mario
And none of that's a guarantee that he would get in!

And that's all right. It would be OK if he wasn't in Smash 6, even if I would be disappointed. Some characters have to be cut from the series going forward! They can't keep having 80+ characters in every entry, carrying every character forward forever. It's not sustainable, just from how much labor it would require.

All fighting games go through this! It's OK! It's healthy. Some old fan-favorites get left by the wayside while others are retooled and new characters are brought in. Smash is overdue for this process, and they can't keep putting it off forever. Sakurai has said, pretty openly, that the "everyone is here" thing can't happen again, right?

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I definitely agree. As a matter of fact, most characters like him, Dr. Mario, Daisy, Young Link, Alph, etc. need new movesets, mechanics &/or final smashes to differentiate themselves from other characters or their counterparts.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hard agree, OP; it sucks that Ganondorf is still a clone of a character that has nothing to do with Zelda. I mean...no dead man's volley, no spinning boomerang trident, no fire bats, no trident beam, no levitation, none of his cool sword moves from TP or Wind Waker, no nothing! Just Black Shadow wearing a Ganon skin. lol
And what stings even worse is that we all know that he would likely have a more faithful move-set if Sakurai had added him in Brawl or Smash 4.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And none of that's a guarantee that he would get in!

And that's all right. It would be OK if he wasn't in Smash 6, even if I would be disappointed. Some characters have to be cut from the series going forward! They can't keep having 80+ characters in every entry, carrying every character forward forever. It's not sustainable, just from how much labor it would require.

All fighting games go through this! It's OK! It's healthy. Some old fan-favorites get left by the wayside while others are retooled and new characters are brought in. Smash is overdue for this process, and they can't keep putting it off forever. Sakurai has said, pretty openly, that the "everyone is here" thing can't happen again, right?

if anything, keep this game going with DLC. There doesn't need to be a new Smash for a while

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Ganondorf doesn't have any moves directly from his appearances (beside Warlock Punch being a lot like his downward punch in OoT, along with the purple darkness he has at the end of it,) but I do feel like he plays like younger 'dorf would from the start of OoT. Mewtwo has the moveset I think Ganondorf would have if he were given a moveset refresh, to be real

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Literally none of his moves come from the source material where he has no short supply of moves. If after 4 games they can't bother to give him a unique moveset they should just ditch him altogether and add pig Ganon instead. It would add another heavyweight and a staff user which are both rare traits in Smash.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Even the sword is mostly a Smash thing. It was only used in the Spaceworld video, and the reason Smash fans focused on it so much was because it was featured by his Melee render.
ironically making him the OOT ganondorf him using a sword makes even less sense, if they kept it the TP ganon the one of the two that used a sword and not a spear(phantom ganon used a spear in OOT normal ganon was unarmed and beast ganon had swords), that smash attack would make sense

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ironically making him the OOT ganondorf him using a sword makes even less sense, if they kept it the TP ganon the one of the two that used a sword and not a spear(phantom ganon used a spear in OOT normal ganon was unarmed and beast ganon had swords), that smash attack would make sense
Ah that Spaceworld demo... the memories.

strideredge

Oct 25, 2017
They could always give him a unique moveset then add like Black Shadow into the game. Then ganon is unique, his clone move set stays, and f-zero gets a new character because that's not happening otherwise.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
You and me both. I've long wondered about how he could be improved, mashing together his various incarnations over the years...
B: Reflect + Peach-esque drift for a second iff held. Can act with a single A move out of drift in the split second it's active as though grounded.
Side B: Can be angled in a one of two ways:
No Input/Keep Holding Side: Charges up dark energy while doing side grab from Brawl. If this grab does not connect, launches energy 45 degrees down in the form of an energy ball; this ball reflects off surfaces once. Ganondorf is uniquely able to reflect this energy ball with his own melee attacks.​
Side-to-Down Motion: Wizard foot. No energy ball, but can be edge canceled.​
Up B: Rises up while doing his spinning up-taunt animation; if he connects with anyone in this time, goes into grab explosion, but otherwise emits a shockwave of energy which has strong horizontal knockback. Usable after Wizard foot, but not normal side B.
Down B: Transforms into Ganon for 10 seconds. After he returns to his Ganondorf form, it recharges, gaining 1 second of use every 4 seconds of going unused. Takes a little less than a second to transition either way. Must have a minimum of 5 seconds stored up to use. Ends automatically, and cannot be manually ended.
As Ganon:
All A moves which previously used the sword now use the trident for more range, while he has it.​
Cannot shield at all, but does not flinch for any attacks doing less than 12% damage.​
Moves at 0.8x his already very slow normal speed, with a hitbox closer to 1.5x as large.​
B: Unleases a fire keese out in front of him - shoots forward, and can turn once, up to 90 degrees, to track an opponent. Total range is about half of FD. The last 2 meters behind the keese stay on fire for a second; this fire hitbox only deals damage, no knockback​
Side B: Throws his trident out in a wide, spinning, slow loop; Ganon uses dual sai dagger, which are identical except for shorter range, with it out; if he contacts the trident hitbox at any point, he regains his normal range and the move ends.​
Up B: Rears his arms back and throws himself up, horns first. Exceptionally short range, more like a hop, but can be used twice in the air.​
Down B: Spin trident overhead; 3 fireballs form around it. Release to have them spin off in their directions before dissipating after a few meters.​

Then I'd replace his up tilt with something a little less stupid, but yeah...as if.
It's fun to pretend.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also he should have an alt costume with his older OoT look with the long hair. I feel like Nintendo never acknowledges that particular look of Ganondorf. I know he has longer hair but in braids in TP and the wild, luscious hair in Hyrule Warriors, but his older OoT form I think is still the best look of him.

Anyway, Ganondorf has beautiful hair and Nintendo needs to acknowledge it more, is what I'm saying.

Subaru

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I agree with OP and I must say that I absolutely hate Toon Link. It's so unimaginative, why they didn't gave some wind wake moves? He show have some wind magic.

They should make Link/Young Link/Toon Link as diferent as Ryu/Ken/Gouki are in Street Fighter V.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
I'm among the crowd who's grown to like this manifestation of power just pounding people with his fists, so I'm kinda biased when I'm saying this:

Ganondorf's problem is that, as a human, he doesn't really HAVE iconic moves besides the ground pound and Dead Man's Volley (which would feel weird giving him a projectile with his current up-close playstyle). "I really liked the way he swung his sword that one time"... nah

Not to mention he's never had a consistent fighting style—magic one game, twin swords the next, trident in Hyrule Warriors. He'd either be a hodgepodge or have to have most of his kit made up for Smash, which isn't THAT different from his current state

I think at this point, I'd change a couple of his moves like Neutral Air and Down Special to use the trident, make him do the cape flip for his parry

or just make playable Ganon, that'd be cool too

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've always hated him being a slower but more powerful Capt Falcon. I was hoping to see more of his signature moves.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how Ganondorf is still a Captain Falcon clone after 20 years. Makes no sense.

Although it's also funny how he could end up being another sword user if they made him closer to his in-game depictions

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Ganondorf is one of my favourite characters to play as in smash, so I'd they wanted to change him up completely I'd 100% a separate Ganon character. But I also want a lot of other Zelda characters before him.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
At this point he has been Smashdorf for longer than the character has existed not being Smashdorf.

Maybe people should accept this is just part of the character, regardless of the origins.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
People would bitch he'd be another sword fighter again. He's fine as a heavy brawler.

The real crime is that there's still no OoT Ganondorf amiibo yet.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I understand how you'd want that, but the day Ganondorf significantly changes, I'll stop buying Smash Bros. :/

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
At this point he has been Smashdorf for longer than the character has existed not being Smashdorf.

Maybe people should accept this is just part of the character, regardless of the origins.
It's still fun to hope for something different, though I do agree he's not super likely to get significant redesigns

It's also OK, I think, to look at some characters—DK, Samus, Ganondorf being easy examples—and say "They should really feel more like they were designed today, rather than being married to character design principles from 20 years ago"

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

That's not quite true since Smash Ganondorf has never been acknowledged outside of Smash, so it's not like Zelda Ganondorf is somehow overshadowed or replaced by him.