• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you had told 10 year old me that I'd be able to play a game where I could do Link and Cloud vs. Ganondorf and Sephiroth... that would've blown my mind... so that's what I'm going to do when Sephiroth comes out... do a team of Link (in green tunic of course) and Cloud vs. Ganondorf and Sephiroth... but one thing sticks out...

Ganondorf doesn't have any moves that he did in Ocarina of Time... or any of the other game... not to mention as Ganon, he has moves like his Trident Throw that he coud've used....

It just feels so lame that Ganondorf is stuck a semi Captain Falcon clone after all these years.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's true to the Spaceworld 2000 tech demo and that's what matters.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you had told 10 year old me that I'd be able to play a game where I could do Link and Cloud vs. Ganondorf and Sephiroth... that would've blown my mind... so that's what I'm going to do when Sephiroth comes out... do a team of Link (in green tunic of course) and Cloud vs. Ganondorf and Sephiroth... but one thing sticks out...

Ganondorf doesn't have any moves that he did in Ocarina of Time... or any of the other game... not to mention as Ganon, he has moves like his Trident Throw that he coud've used....

It just feels so lame that Ganondorf is stuck a semi Captain Falcon clone after all these years.
True. It'd be cool if he could throw orbs of energy like in Ocarina, charge it up to make that big dark one etc.

You could even give him his own special meter that lets you turn into Ganon for a short period when you fill it up.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

hey, at least they gave him a sword. Way better than SSB4.

But yeah, he is a powerful, but slowwwww captain Falcon clone.
He is a meme character in Smash nowadays, I really hope they buff his recorvery and speed next patch.

Oct 25, 2017
I was always interested in the idea of giving Ganondorf a unique moveset while transferring the slow Captain Falcon clone moves to Black Shadow.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong fans pulled together and got K.Rool.

Metroid fans pulled together and got Ridley and Dark Samus.

Zelda fans pulled together and got Ganondorf with that sword he's never actually used.

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
I can understand why Sakurai is adverse to revamping movesets that veterans of the series are familiar with, but damn. When you have to "tune-up" this character in every single installment since his debut to try to hide his semi-clone nature maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and consider an actual revamp. It's not like he's ever been high tier anyway...

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Yeah he's a relic of Melee's rushed development and was thrown in as a little bonus rather than being a fully fledged character like he deserves. It works for like, Roy and Dr. Mario but Ganon has so much unique source material to go off of that isnt being a Captain Falcon fanboy. Sometimes I wonder if he would've been better off not being added in Melee so he could have an actual moveset in Brawl

Jun 15, 2020
If I have one complaint about smash, it's that I think they're too scared to change up movesets between games in huge, substantial ways. Yes, Ganondorf should be decloned. Also, Luigi should have the Poltergust and his specials should be using it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If I have one complaint about smash, it's that I think they're too scared to change up movesets between games in huge, substantial ways. Yes, Ganondorf should be decloned. Also, Luigi should have the Poltergust and his specials should be using it.
I don't think they're afraid as much as they simply prefer to spend time with new characters instead.

Link is a perfect example, the moveset changed enough to prove that they weren't afraid to change it up, but it should have changed even more (Revali's power for the up B, etc). It feels a bit half-assed, but not in a "we're afraid to change it" way.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Project M really did him justice imo. Gave him floating + reflecting straight out of OoT with a special sword attack to boot.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. He's still fun to use as is but he should have gotten some new classic moves with one of the more recent entries.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This really goes for all characters from before Smash 4 and 5. The newcomers in the last two games feel so true to their source material, with almost every regular attack having connection to their games, and definitely every special

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
In a perfect example of how nostalgia messes with your opinions, I 100% agreed with you back in the Brawl days, but after 20 years of this moveset I'm so used to it that I don't want it to change anymore.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem boils down to the fact that, despite having a clone moveset and being terrible in most Smash games, he's an immensely popular character to play and he's usually seen as "hype" whenever he's doing well for himself. He's the most played character in online Smash. At this point, Sakurai is polrobably scared to change something most people have learned to enjoy.

Obviously a way to have your cake and eat it would be to make two movesets but thats a resource sink thats better saved for another character.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Project M really did him justice imo. Gave him floating + reflecting straight out of OoT with a special sword attack to boot.

This is by far my favorite decloned Ganondorf moveset, this trailer was so hype when I first watched it. Still play him occasionally to feel what could have been, Mage Ganon is king.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

They did add the Poltergust for his throws in Ultimate, which was pretty nice.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
His smash attacks, side special, Final Smash, and most of his normals are fine. I just wish he had a projectile B, a proper ground pound, and a few dark magic normals.

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
I think the problem boils down to the fact that, despite having a clone moveset and being terrible in most Smash games, he's an immensely popular character to play and he's usually seen as "hype" whenever he's doing well for himself. He's the most played character in online Smash. At this point, Sakurai is polrobably scared to change something most people have learned to enjoy.

Obviously a way to have your cake and eat it would be to make two movesets but thats a resource sink thats better saved for another character.
At the same time though, I can't imagine big Zelda fans liking that their character has essentially been reduced to what is essentially a meme pick: "Le King of Disrespect", who is only good at stomping noobs online. It's a case of who do you try to please? Zelda fans or Smash veterans? Sakurai tries to make some concessions to the former group with small tune-ups in every new title but, as long as he's derived from Falcon at his core, with almost no moves or references to actual Zelda games, they just aren't going to accept him.
When Smash Ultimate released I thought complaints might finally die down with going back to the OoT design and giving him a sword, but that's obviously not the case.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is I now consider the Doriya integral to the character and I expect it to show up in future maninline appearances.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
One change would go a long way:

Executing Warlock Punch in the air instead has Ganondorf stop his descent, charge and throw an energy ball with minor tracking. Same charge time. Same armor. Same everything except it's a projectile thrown overhead.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
When Smash Ultimate released I thought complaints might finally die down with going back to the OoT design and giving him a sword, but that's obviously not the case.

Even the sword is mostly a Smash thing. It was only used in the Spaceworld video, and the reason Smash fans focused on it so much was because it was featured by his Melee render.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

This is by far my favorite decloned Ganondorf moveset, this trailer was so hype when I first watched it. Still play him occasionally to feel what could have been, Mage Ganon is king.

The LXP characters are really well done. They play well and the fan service in the movesets is top notch. Lucina basically having an actionable air-dash made her click with me immediately, sooo much fun to play.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
On one hand, he deserves his own moveset. On the other hand, I adore Smash Ganondorf and would be sort of sad to see him go.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
One change would go a long way:

Executing Warlock Punch in the air instead has Ganondorf stop his descent, charge and throw an energy ball with minor tracking. Same charge time. Same armor. Same everything except it's a projectile thrown overhead.

I wish he could use his up+B after using his side+B. Smash isnt consistent with their "rules", some characters can, others can not. Hell Pikachu and Luigi can side+B MULTIPLE times and still up+B lol (like Pikachu of all characters needs that kind of recoverability lol.)

Apr 21, 2018
There are 3 versions of Link, and 2 versions of Zelda (you know what I mean), so I don't see why a second version of Ganondorf couldn't make it in?

I don't see it happening, but I'd love a Zelda Smash DLC pack with Urbosa, Impa, new Ganon, Majora, etc.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I wish he could use his up+B after using his side+B. Smash isnt consistent with their "rules", some characters can, others can not. Hell Pikachu and Luigi can side+B MULTIPLE times and still up+B lol (like Pikachu of all characters needs that kind of recoverability lol.)
He's not meant to have good recovery. Luigi and Pikachu are. It's really as simple as that. Mac can do both primarily because his side B and up B together still aren't as good as just Ganondorf's up B by itself.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Replace Warlock Punch with Dead Man's Volley and I'm fairly content with his moveset in Smash.

But hey, more reason to add classic Ganon with a trident!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are 3 versions of Link, and 2 versions of Zelda (you know what I mean), so I don't see why a second version of Ganondorf couldn't make it in?

I don't see it happening, but I'd love a Zelda Smash DLC pack with Urbosa, Impa, new Ganon, Majora, etc.

I imagine it's a combination of the fact that Ganondorf hasn't been in a game since 2006, and the 3 games we've seen Ganondorf in are actually all the same person. The Links and Zelda's in the game are still different people.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
He's not meant to have good recovery. Luigi and Pikachu are. It's really as simple as that. Mac can do both primarily because his side B and up B together still aren't as good as just Ganondorf's up B by itself.

I still wouldn't say he would have good recovery even if he was able to use his Up+B after a side+B. The reason it primarily bugs me Incineroar has essentially the same move, a command grab you can use in the air and on the ground and he can also use up+B after side+B. I really wish Smash was consistent with some of their rules.

Apr 21, 2018
I imagine it's a combination of the fact that Ganondorf hasn't been in a game since 2006, and the 3 games we've seen Ganondorf in are actually all the same person. The Links and Zelda's in the game are still different people.

I've played every Zelda and the canon still confuses me.

I see your point, but do you really think that would be a reason? What about Dr.Mario? lol

This thread is the thing of hypothetical dreams anyhow. We aren't getting a new Ganondorf and there's probably 100 characters we'd all rather have.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully for the next game since they will probably not put everyone in. They start with a smaller roster, rework movesets and mechanics for everyone who makes it to the base roster.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've played every Zelda and the canon still confuses me.

I see your point, but do you really think that would be a reason? What about Dr.Mario? lol

This thread is the thing of hypothetical dreams anyhow. We aren't getting a new Ganondorf and there's probably 100 characters we'd all rather have.

Dr. mario also plays exactly like Mario though. Getting WW or TP dorf back in but because he's the same guy he plays the same with minor differences, so another captain falcon echo, would be some monkey paw answer to the OP.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully for the next game since they will probably not put everyone in. They start with a smaller roster, rework movesets and mechanics for everyone who makes it to the base roster.

They won't do this because the amount of people who seriously care about reworking the roster movesets is tiny compared to the amount who just want to see a huge roster from all over gaming fighting each other. They'll do everything in their power to avoid cutting anyone at all whereever possible.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I really like how he plays right now and would only make small changes. Personally I just wish we got more Zelda villains. Majora is IMO Nintendo's best designed villain and would be fantastic in smash. Also I'd love to see Ganon.

I do recognise that a BOTW character will obviously come first (and urbosa would be a great pick as well from a representation standpoint) but I'll keep stanning for majora.