• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be one where they weren't able to get Picard back from the Borg. I bet it inspired the Year of Hell eps for Voyager. Also I like the lowkey implication that Wolf never went back to his universe but one close enough that it doesn't matter.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
PuQiT56a.jpg

WE WON'T GO BACK

It's the darkest timeline for sure. Presumably the Q of that universe is indiferrent towards humantiy and didn't bother giving Picard the heads up in 'Q Who'.

The Borg just dropped in one day and assimilated the Federation.

One wonders if anyone else in the Alpha and Beta quadrants could stop the Borg.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I still cannot believe clone Riker exists and has a normal life just like everyone else and no one has a problem with that

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
PuQiT56a.jpg

WE WON'T GO BACK

It's the darkest timeline for sure. Presumably the Q of that universe is indiferrent towards humantiy and didn't bother giving Picard the heads up in 'Q Who'.

Presumably Janeway would not have been there to stop species 8472 so the borg may have been wiped out by them.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
What would be a solution? Nothing else to do but be alright with it lol

I expected the show to come up with some technical babble as an untimely cause of death, like say being transported after the cloning caused him to somehow get sick and die. It wasn't really that the characters were ok with it, but that the show itself was ok with it and just let it happen instead of forcing the clone into a particularly bad situation to clear the status quo. Instead dude got a job somewhere and probably has a family (or multiple, knowing Riker).

Nov 27, 2020
PuQiT56a.jpg

WE WON'T GO BACK

I always imagined that timeline was the same up through BOBW part 1, but Riker didn't get what Guinan was telling him in part 2. They didn't come up with the plan to abduct Locutus leading to the "sleep" command, and Locutus and the Borg are still out there in that universe, just wrecking everyone.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I expected the show to come up with some technical babble as an untimely cause of death, like say being transported after the cloning caused him to somehow get sick and die. It wasn't really that the characters were ok with it, but that the show itself was ok with it and just let it happen instead of forcing the clone into a particularly bad situation to clear the status quo. Instead dude got a job somewhere and probably has a family (or multiple, knowing Riker).
Ah I see what you're saying. Yeah it was an interesting choice for the show to let him live, however like so many other loose ends at the end of episodes the solution is always the same: the new character can't live on the Enterprise for whatever reason so they instead choose to live their own lives elsewhere in the galaxy.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Clone Riker from "Second Chances" actually did come back in Deep Space Nine, hijacked the Defiant, and was sentenced to imprisonment in a Cardassian labor camp.

Nov 27, 2020
Clone Riker from "Second Chances" actually did come back in Deep Space Nine, hijacked the Defiant, and was sentenced to imprisonment in a Cardassian labor camp.
I really wish we'd gotten a follow up to that episode. Maquis Riker was too interesting to just be a one and done.

It's too bad, because any Maquis prisoners were likely killed once the Dominion came along.

May 19, 2020
i think a dark timeline where the borg takeover would honestly be extremely boring and derivative for star trek. ever since battlestar galactica there were always these fandom-proposed ideas to turn the show totally dark and survival focused and it's a pretty hackneyed concept.

the best medium option was DS9. you had federation utopian ideals challenged by outer federation entities, societal/political realities and a huge enemy force but the core ideals of the franchise were still retained.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I always imagined Species 8472 would at least talk to the Federation after they did their larping as them

Dec 30, 2020
I always liked that they concluded the story without killing either Riker. It was just, "you good?" "yeah. You?" "Yup."

So essentially he just has a sibling now.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I always liked that they concluded the story without killing either Riker. It was just, "you good?" "yeah. You?" "Yup."

So essentially he just has a sibling now.

The original script had William Riker getting killed and Thomas taking his place. Would have been interesting to see how that would have played out, especially with the changes to the ship's command structure. First Officer Data?

Nov 27, 2020
i think a dark timeline where the borg takeover would honestly be extremely boring and derivative for star trek. ever since battlestar galactica there were always these fandom-proposed ideas to turn the show totally dark and survival focused and it's a pretty hackneyed concept.

What's funny is that there was a Star Trek fan series from the early 2000s that did exactly that. Star Trek: Hidden Frontier's "Yesterday's Excelsior" episode was an alternate timeline where Sulu's Excelsior was destroyed leading to the Borg having destroyed the Federation in the 24th century. The current Excelsior led a ragtag fleet hoping to find a new home away from the Borg. It literally was BSG in the Trek universe, and if I recall, they even changed the opening credits to match the OG BSG's titles.

For a one episode look at what could have been, it would be fine, but I wouldn't want a whole Trek series set in a completely bleak future. Besides, we already have Star Trek: Picard for that! 😝

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
... and then big boy appolo turns up and saves humanity

thus concludes my fan fic

please like and share
who.jpg

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Punished Riker was bold thinking he was gonna just let the fabric of the universe tear itself apart.

"Fuck y'all. My universe sucks, so let's just burn the whole god damn thing down"

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI

LOL they almost killed off Will Riker and replaced him with Thomas. The writers wanted to so bad, like real bad. They fought for it but were vetoed by berman.

He shows up in deep space 9 though and if you haven't seen it I won't spoil what happens!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Wasn't there a writer's edict at one point that they didn't want to see any more episodes about Clone Riker?

(I wonder if 'What If…' and 'SW Visions' are super successful Paramount might do a similar show for Trek with all the different timelines they already have).