• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
That's right: I want a Phantasy Star 5! None of this Online business, I want another science fiction turn-based RPG from Sega. I feel like, with the success of FF7R, and the modern western popularity of the Dragon Quest games, classic JRPGs are having something of a renaissance. I think there's never been a better time for Sega to bring back their classic, under-represented JRPG series. What do you all think?

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
woah, same here topic creator

there are plenty of defining traits to those early phantasy star games, it'd still have a unique identity today

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
moar phantasy star, sure.

i dunno where a PS5 proper could really go, though

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
there are plenty of defining traits to those early phantasy star games, it'd still have a unique identity today
I've been watching My Life in Gaming's "Best Way to Play Phantasy Star" and had the exact same thought. These games were unique then and are unique now. I'd love to see a modern take. Maybe RGG Studio could do it? The just made a turn-based RPG recently, and have time and time again proven they can tell a great story...

Look, if I straight up put "Phantasy Star" in the thread title, the only people that would look are people who already agree with me. I had to get fresh eyes/minds somehow! hahaha

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing after 2, didn't really like the direction it was going..one thing I actually missed was the first person dungeons, caves. I think that more than anything turned me off.

Which is wild because I didn't mind at all for Final Fantasy not being first person, lol. I think my first jRPG was Phantasy Star 1.

I would be so down for a remake of 1 and 2 tho.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I'm rIght there with you. I loved the Phantasy Star series and was quite saddened when Sega decided to drop the single-player format in favor of online. While we watch Square Enix and the Final Fantasy series still being worked on, Phantasy Star is just a shell of its former self. Sure, I enjoy PSO 2, but it's not Phantasy Star 2 or 4.

I'd love if Sega brought it back, but then again, they've been out of the RPG game for a while and the Sonic team isn't what they used to be.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they made PSU 2
PlayStation Underground 2?

It is back since 2015, in YouTube form:
blog.us.playstation.com

Introducing PlayStation Underground

For those PlayStation gamers that don't remember (or, perhaps, hadn't yet appeared on this Earth), PlayStation Underground was a video magazine and series of demo discs which Sony Computer Entertainment America produced in the late '90s. Now, we're bringing PlayStation Underground back in the...

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
If you put Phantasy Star in the title then I could have ignored it without entering you thread. Thanks
You could have saved another step by just ignoring without posting this but hey, you're welcome!

I'd love if Sega brought it back, but then again, they've been out of the RPG game for a while and the Sonic team isn't what they used to be.

You're right, but Sega also has RGG Studio, who just shipped a JRPG a few months ago with Yakuza 7, plus they have Atlus in-house now, which... say what you will about some of their later output (sorry Persona fans, but I thought 5 was pretty bad in the writing department) but the actual RPG mechanics are pretty sound/fun! I think there's definitely a group Sega could put together to make an excellent Phantasy Star 5 in the modern age.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Me too, to the point that one of our games is heavily influenced by the Phantasy Star series.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Me too, to the point that one of our games is heavily influenced by the Phantasy Star series.
Oh yeah. Cosmic Star Heroine is oozing with PS2 influence. Not that I'm complaining.

You're right, but Sega also has RGG Studio, who just shipped a JRPG a few months ago with Yakuza 7, plus they have Atlus in-house now, which... say what you will about some of their later output (sorry Persona fans, but I thought 5 was pretty bad in the writing department) but the actual RPG mechanics are pretty sound/fun! I think there's definitely a group Sega could put together to make an excellent Phantasy Star 5 in the modern age.

My thing is that studios that have fine-tuned their own RPGs aren't suited to work on one that is radically different. As much as I respect what Sega does with Yakuza, that series and Phantasy Star are vastly different. I could just also be living in the past.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
PlayStation Underground 2?

It is back since 2015, in YouTube form:
blog.us.playstation.com

Introducing PlayStation Underground

For those PlayStation gamers that don't remember (or, perhaps, hadn't yet appeared on this Earth), PlayStation Underground was a video magazine and series of demo discs which Sony Computer Entertainment America produced in the late '90s. Now, we're bringing PlayStation Underground back in the...
Nah I mean Phantasy Star Universe.

Oct 31, 2017
You will get high school setting, loli characters, and over sexualized characters. It ain't the same Sega. Its best to let it go.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got into Phantasy Star through PSP and Vita. I even picked up a copy of Nova while I was in Japan at one point, though I found the options for translation to be too onerous in the end.

I would kill for a new release on the Switch.

Aug 10, 2019
giphy.gif