• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, some quick background. I've been with my company for a little more than five years. I started in a support/customer service role, and was eventually promoted to project management. I've survived multiple layoffs/purges, and my job feels fairly safe, except for one issue.

I fucking hate it.

I didn't always hate it. But, between management constantly reshuffling roles and responsibilities, me constantly being handed new work since I'm proven to be competent, and me just getting sick and tired of the day to day work, I can feel myself burning out hard.

To complicate things, my company has entertained putting me through course work to obtain the PMP, a professional certification for project management that is basically a requirement for higher level positions elsewhere. They put two other PMs through a bootcamp that cost thousands of dollars, and said they would get to me eventually, which has yet to happen. So I said fuck it, found an accredited online course for $16, and then took and passed the certification exam a couple of weeks ago. Note the people put through training have not yet passed their exams, and as far as I know no one else in the company has one, my boss included. In fact, in my department, I'm about 12 years younger than the next oldest PM. As a result, I know at this point I can probably do better.

In addition to this, I have juuuust enough in my emergency fund to not make staying at the company a matter of survival, enough to cover about 3 months of expenses. However, obviously I would prefer to keep that money if at possible and transition directly into a new role without a gap. I have been applying for jobs like crazy and had a few phone screenings, and even the occasional interview, but no offers. Note the interviews were prior to me receiving the PMP.

So yeah, my thinking is that if I just put in a two weeks, I could dedicate more time to more quality job searching, or I could even take a job below my current level, maybe as a temp, in the meantime while I focus more on finding a perfect job. However, the job market still kind of sucks, and I was laid off from my first job after college and unemployed for months, which makes me a bit gun shy about leaving a job that I'm somewhat secure in.

Anyway, I'm going to talk with my boss on Monday about my frustrations. But given the situation, do you think I should just suck it up and stay while I continue job searching on the side, or should I dedicate myself fully to job searching and leave a job that I can't stand.

Nov 18, 2020
Stay while you continue job searching on the side. The job market in general is terrible right now, and it can get even worse if we enter a nasty recession in 2021. You don't want to be stuck in a position where it takes >3 months for you to find a job, and now you have no emergency fund, and now rent is due and you can't pay it. Trust me, I've been in that position and it's a death spiral.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Yup secure a new job before quiting. I just did it, and it sounds like you have experience, so take advantage of it!!!

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Quitting before lining up something else seems like a mistake. I'm hardly an expert on this subject but unless you feel your mental health is suffering too much by staying I'd stick it out until you have other job offers in hand.

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
I think you should stay as this economy has many uncertainties. If you do decide to leave, do it by securing another job first so that your current job can remain as a backup until you know when you'd start you next gig.

the job market is tough now and I think if you have any security, that may be more important than money. I would keep applying until you get something that works for you, otherwise staying seems the smartest thing to do

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe take a nice vacation or staycation. Take your sweet ass time looking for a new job. Dont leave cuz you hate it, leave cuz you found the best long term solution for your future

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I personally don't think the whole "quitting so you can full-time the job search" thing is a good idea in a good economy, much less this one

I'd suck it up and stick with it until you have an offer in hand

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely do not leave until you have something else lined up.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Totally relate to your desire to quit, but yeah stay at your current job until you find a new one.

Job searching can take a surprising amount of time and you don't want to be completely desperate if you don't find something within three months.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best life advice I've ever got is 'Never quit a job until you have another one.'

Don't quit. Three months really isn't a lot of time to find, interview for, and accept a new management role. You will end up having to settle if you leave before you get this sorted out.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
You have project management experience and now a PMP? You'll probably find something rather quickly.

Don't quit until you have something else lined up, especially with the craziness that is the current employment situation.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, sounds like I should stay which is more or less what I expected, I'm just really, really frustrated, like wake up in the morning and scream into a pillow because I don't want to deal with work today frustrated. Which I imagine is the case for a lot of people. But I know I'm working well below my current potential, which I am also sure is the case for a lot of people.

Also, a note about vacations. I have taken a few this year, and I just end up feeling more frustrated when I come back since everything falls through the cracks when I'm gone and I need to spend the next week fixing things, despite leaving super detailed instructions and having meetings for coverage and all that. It's now basically a necessity that when I take time off, I still spend the first half hour of every day checking emails and doing small tasks I don't trust others to do in my absence.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
We're in a pandemic. Keep your job until you have an offer letter from another employer in hand. And don't burn any bridges. Of course, that would be my advice even if we were not in a pandemic. 3 months emergency funds is nowhere near enough of a buffer.

Also, not to dirt on the course you took, but I'll just about guarantee you that your company places far more value on the certification course that they put employees through, than the one that you took online. That's just the way it is with these things.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Yah, unless you absolutely cannot take it anymore or are put in a position of risk, line up another job before you quit. Especially in this current economic climate. I know working at a job you hate can be soul sucking, but 3 months is not a huge runway to transition right now TBH.

Nov 18, 2020
Yep, sounds like I should stay which is more or less what I expected, I'm just really, really frustrated, like wake up in the morning and scream into a pillow because I don't want to deal with work today frustrated. Which I imagine is the case for a lot of people. But I know I'm working well below my current potential, which I am also sure is the case for a lot of people.

Also, a note about vacations. I have taken a few this year, and I just end up feeling more frustrated when I come back since everything falls through the cracks when I'm gone and I need to spend the next week fixing things, despite leaving super detailed instructions and having meetings for coverage and all that. It's not basically a necessity that when I take time off, I still spend the first half hour of every day checking emails and doing small tasks I don't trust others to do in my absense.

Hey, don't get too down on yourself. You have a stable, full-time job that keeps you afloat and allows you to save money, which is more than what millions of people can say right now. That's absolutely living up to your potential. Stay positive and start the search and you'll find something that works best for you eventually.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Its already been said, but do NOT leave your current job in the middle of a recession/pandemic until you have completely secured other employment and have a start date.

Do not do it.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I'm in the same boat as you OP, I plan on quitting my job by Feb without anything lined up. There's just something about my current job (customer service and sales in a call center environment) where I'm too emotionally exhausted to want to apply for another. I'm projected to have $7k saved up by the time I put by 2 weeks and my monthly expenses are rent, my car, and groceries.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We're in a pandemic. Keep your job until you have an offer letter from another employer in hand. And don't burn any bridges. Of course, that would be my advice even if we were not in a pandemic. 3 months emergency funds is nowhere near enough of a buffer.

Also, not to dirt on the course you took, but I'll just about guarantee you that your company places far more value on the certification course that they put employees through, than the one that you took online. That's just the way it is with these things.
I kind of figured the Certification itself was the most important deliverable, since that is what ends up on my resume. I don't think the course I took is necessarily a bad one either, from what I've gathered it's a really common one since it fills a 30 hour education requirement for the exam pretty easily.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018

Also, a note about vacations. I have taken a few this year, and I just end up feeling more frustrated when I come back since everything falls through the cracks when I'm gone and I need to spend the next week fixing things, despite leaving super detailed instructions and having meetings for coverage and all that. It's now basically a necessity that when I take time off, I still spend the first half hour of every day checking emails and doing small tasks I don't trust others to do in my absence.

Do you have the ability to hire/promote or do you currently have an assistant or something close to that role? Sounds like you could use someone reliable to just take a little responsibility off yourself.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
You need way more than 3 months buffer money to just drop a job. When I quit my last job I made sure I could survive 1 year without a job with my savings to make sure we would be ok. Took 8 months to find the job.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have the ability to hire/promote or do you currently have an assistant or something close to that role? Sounds like you could use someone reliable to just take a little responsibility off yourself.
Nah, I've got very little autonomy in all actuality. I used to have a supporting team member, but reorganization took that away, and the company works more as having compartmentalized roles meant to work cross functionally, rather than teams led by a project manager like other orgs would have. Basically, I think my company is pretty poorly managed and organized, and especially after studying form my PMP it's become even more obvious. I don't expect that to change, which is why I know one way or another, I'm ready to leave it behind.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
You hate it but you can endure for some time => look for another job then quit.

You hate it so much it is crushing your mental health => talk to a doctor (or two) for a sick leave, rest a few days then look for another job.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
It's easier to get a job while having a job. Unfair and stupid, but recruiters will subconsciously think there's something wrong with you if you don't have a job, regardless of how good of a reason you have for it.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also thanks for the common sense advice everyone, I know it's the smartest move, but I still needed to hear it.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if a 3 month emergency fund is enough in this climate. If you had like 6, it might be worth quitting.

Nov 18, 2020
Basically, I think my company is pretty poorly managed and organized, and especially after studying form my PMP it's become even more obvious. I don't expect that to change, which is why I know one way or another, I'm ready to leave it behind.

Welcome to most companies, especially big corporations. I've worked at multiple Fortune 500 companies who, despite their insane valuations, were profoundly disorganized and inefficient beneath the surface. I suspect that in your next role you'll also have to be dealing with that quite a bit.

Like right now, my job has a lot of disorganization but I've owned it now and I'm just doing what I can to stay employed. After a certain point there's little you can do to stop a trainwreck other than get out of its way and don't become a casualty.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
NGL, it's frustrating to see that we have to stay in a job we hate just so it's easier to find another job. Now I'm leaning towards not quitting on Feb and just applying while I'm working here.

Oct 27, 2017
Always get a new job before quitting the old one. You might not get a job before you run out of money. You'll burn through savings unnecessarily. No unemployment insurance. It looks a lot better to have a current job when looking for a job.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's very difficult to get a job right now with the pandemic.

I would make sure you had a new job confirmed before quitting.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Quitting without a job offer on the hand requires a good amount of "f*** you"-money. 3 months are maybe enough when the economy is good again, now it's a bit risky.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to most companies, especially big corporations. I've worked at multiple Fortune 500 companies who, despite their insane valuations, were profoundly disorganized and inefficient beneath the surface. I suspect that in your next role you'll also have to be dealing with that quite a bit.

Like right now, my job has a lot of disorganization but I've owned it now and I'm just doing what I can to stay employed. After a certain point there's little you can do to stop a trainwreck other than get out of its way and don't become a casualty.
Yeah, that's fair and I understand there's no perfect job out there. I think my best course of action for now is to soldier on, communicate my frustrations to management in a reasonable manner, and keep the job search going. I actually have a video interview already lined up for tomorrow morning, so hopefully something comes of that.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Congrats on getting your PMP!

Just gonna echo what others said and try to secure a new job first before you quit

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I think you'd have a pretty good chance of landing a new role since you have your PMP now, but yeah, don't quit until you have something lined up.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
You can go anywhere with that PMP. But I wouldn't quit until you have another job.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
3 months savings as emergency funds is insane, ridiculously low,. Money disappears faster than we actually perceive

I'd never quit a job if I couldn't have a stress-free life for like a year,if not longer.

Oct 25, 2017
Given your financial position (and it sounds like you are young) I'd find another job first before quitting. Doesn't sound like you have the financial option to just leave and wait for a job to come to you. If you had a years worth of savings that might give you the luxury to say fuck it I'm taking a break to find another job.

I hate my job as well and am doing various work packages that doesn't fall into my job role but that's because work is sparse right now. It's a case of get on with it. I guess l count myself lucky to still have a job.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Generally speaking, you don't want to quit a job without securing another one first. If you can hold out longer, I would do that.

Exilexc

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Keep your role as a PMP now, but the position is changing so fast just like CSM's that a certification will help validate your experience.
With that being said, your previous projects will actually be the driver for your next employer. I'm also curious about which course you took? I know my employer used Pulse+ for our certifications and I actually enjoyed the process.

Keep your head up man. I feel you on the setting up for vacation to run back into work fires. Just take it as it comes and try your best to not work more than 40 hours. Talk to management about account loads and the level of professionaliam you can keep with having to cram. (If necessary)

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Keep your role as a PMP now, but the position is changing so fast just like CSM's that a certification will help validate your experience.
With that being said, your previous projects will actually be the driver for your next employer. I'm also curious about which course you took? I know my employer used Pulse+ for our certifications and I actually enjoyed the process.

Keep your head up man. I feel you on the setting up for vacation to run back into work fires. Just take it as it comes and try your best to not work more than 40 hours. Talk to management about account loads and the level of professionaliam you can keep with having to cram. (If necessary)
I took Joseph Phillip's udemy course: PMP Certification Exam Preparation (PMBOK + Practice Exams) | Udemy , and then suscribed to Prepcast for practice exams to help study and review.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
If you have managed to stay 5 years in this job so far, quitting right now before having a new one is absurd. Remember: Never quit a job unless you have a new source of income.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
All I can tell you is that it's really hard (for me) to find a job right now. I have an internship going, but it's part time and pays very little. I chose the wrong time to go back to grad school.

But going a bit against the grain here: I worked at a job in IT for over 5 years, didn't like it, kept telling myself I'd find something else. In retrospect, I would have definitely quit years earlier, even without something else lined up. But I can't speak for you or anyone else; I have a solid support system and could afford to completely shift gears. Good luck, OP. It sucks ass feeling like a cog in the machine.