• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Thread derails in a Jim thread. Is this opposite land?....sigh maybe next thread it won't happen.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fascinated to see some posters in this topic come up with a sunny positive spin on the Ubisoft harassment scandal and other behavior, y'know, to counter Jim supposedly always choosing to only look at the negative side.

It's like these Jimquisition threads need to come with some shorthand bullet points for the Irredeemable thick, such as 'JQ vids are not monetized' and a link to a couple of positive ones etc. Otherwise it's just endless derailing by people oh so proud to not have actually bothered to watch the video they dislike so much.
Jim is pretty good. He has plenty of revenue streams derived from his content. RIP Jimporium. Long live Jimporium. But folk can praise or admonish his discourse or discussions. It's usually a weekly surface level rant against subjects covered elsewhere, better. It's fine to like what he emphasizes or omits. But he's Andy Rooney to 60 Minutes. I personally, could only take a small dose of Andy Rooney. If you're the kind to stick around for a tangent filled personal take, be it praise or moaning, great. Also, Boglins.

Last edited:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
No, not fond of this, and it feels like it is this way because some members of the mod team are fans. This isn't in any way 'news', this is a purely editorial video. I thought the whole purpose of the Jim Sterling thread was those who aren't fans can just ignore that one, rather than still having them pop up constantly.

That way, everyone wins. Fans can comment and discuss the videos in the dedicated thread (which I presume they're doing anyway) without the need for distracting "this dude is shit" posts, and non-fans don't need to see anything.

I also get "these posts will be moderated" - fine, I'll take it. But this is a poor way to close down reasonable criticism.

There is a thread ignore function ffs.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jim is pretty good. He has plenty of revenue streams derived from his content. RIP Jimporium. Long live Jimporium. But folk can praise or admonish his discourse or discussions. It's usually a weekly surface level rant against subjects covered elsewhere, better. It's fine to like what he emphasizes or omits. But he's Andy Rooney to 60 Minutes. I personally, could only take a small dose of Andy Rooney. If you're the kind to stick around for a tangent filled personal take, be it praise or moaning, great. Also, Bogglins.
I mean nobody is making you enter the threads. Hell, nothing stops you from ignoring them and removing them from your feed entirely

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
User warned (permanent threadban): inappropriate off-topic derail
Ubisoft does suck and deserves to be called out whenever possible, but I feel like Jim is beating a dead horse here. I would have put money on this week's JQ being on Nintendo's ridiculous limitation of Mario 3D All-Stars and Super Mario 35, I know he touched on it last week, but I feel like there's more of a story there. Nintendo has really tried to position themselves - and Jim has even acknowledged this - that Nintendo seemingly tries to be antithesis of the modern greedy AAA games publisher loading their games up with season passes and microtransactions, sure, they do DLC, but it's always new or worthwhile content that is worth the price of admission, and other times they're upgrades or additions that are completely free, like updates to Super Mario Maker and Animal Crossing. But then they pull something like this, something so clearly with the purpose of maximizing sales through FOMO, and basically an invitation for scalpers to buy them in bulk and rip off people when the game is out of print, plus removing them from digital storefronts for basically no adequate reason of "fuck you that's why".

The Mario 35 is perhaps the more disturbing though. At least with the other games you'll be able to play them once purchased. After March 31, Mario 35 is gone, see ya, goodbye, can't play it. That is a scary precedent Nintendo is setting.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No, not fond of this, and it feels like it is this way because some members of the mod team are fans. This isn't in any way 'news', this is a purely editorial video. I thought the whole purpose of the Jim Sterling thread was those who aren't fans can just ignore that one, rather than still having them pop up constantly.

That way, everyone wins. Fans can comment and discuss the videos in the dedicated thread (which I presume they're doing anyway) without the need for distracting "this dude is shit" posts, and non-fans don't need to see anything.

I also get "these posts will be moderated" - fine, I'll take it. But this is a poor way to close down reasonable criticism.
There is no reasonable criticism going on here. It's just "I don't like Jim" and "he's so mean to video games" over and over again.

These threads shouldn't have to be put into an OT just because some folks lack self control when it comes to clicking threads.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I don't post a lot. Very rarely do I feel I have something that I can add that can further or add to the discussion. However, this shit, people complaining about Jim, is fucking obnoxious and is the pristine example of why Gaming side of this website is, while not a cesspool like other places, embarrassing.

"The Gamers" constantly say that Jim is too negative. Or, they say what he does is clickbait. Or that he's never positive. Not only does this show a complete disconnect with his content, but also with the reality of this shit Capitalist hellhole that is the gaming industry.

They made a fucking video about how a company, either deliberately or ignorantly, used Black Power iconography in an advertisement in game where the plot is that a secret unknown power is stroking the fires civil unrest, a literal Right Wing conspiracy theory. That's completely fucked up. People should be in here either discussing that or, if there a pile of shit idiot, how that totally isn't the case. Either way, the purpose of the thread is to discuss the video.

Instead, almost half the posts are talking about Jim, and I just cannot figure out why. There is an ignore thread feature. You have, I'm assuming, either a mouse with a scroll-wheel to move down to a different thread or a pair of fucking eyes that can look further down to a different topic. Instead, "The Gamers" made a deliberate and conscious decision to go into the thread, not watch the video, not discuss the topic when it's clarified in other posts, and shit on Jim.

Jim doesn't need my defense, so this isn't an attempt to defend him. It's an attempt to clarify why people refuse to talk about how fucking terrible this industry is. You people, who don't like negative news about your precious games, are exactly why this industry is so fucking unwelcoming to anybody who isn't a Cishet White man. The exact reason. The fear that if somebody says "this is a problem" the response will be "shut and play."

Ubisoft is a fucking horrible company and you shouldn't by their games. Crunch is a real thing and Naughty Dog and Rockstar should be raked through the coals for it. EA's monitization practices prey, quite literally, on people with gambling addictions and everybody should know about that. CD Projekt Red fetishes Transgendered people and that makes them, and their precious Cyberpunk game, a fucking problem.

Constantly avoiding those conversations buries them in the distant memory and doesn't properly inform people of what's going on. Lack of information results in people not being properly informed and believing everything is okay. I, for one, believe that I should be made aware of what's going on in the industry that collects billions of dollars and believe they should be called out on it. If this forum had as progressive a culture as it claims it does, on the gaming side, you wouldn't see threads with negative news about "The Gamers" newest toy being buried or bitched about.

So, in conclusion, shut the fuck up with negative news comes out and don't bitch about the author of the text, unless their personal views or actions are relevant to the discussion. Either participate to try and find solutions, signal boost to make sure more people are aware of the subject, or have the courage to post about how you don't agree the bad this a bad thing so everybody is aware of where you stand.

I'll go back to my hole now.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Ubisoft does suck and deserves to be called out whenever possible, but I feel like Jim is beating a dead horse here. I would have put money on this week's JQ being on Nintendo's ridiculous limitation of Mario 3D All-Stars and Super Mario 35, I know he touched on it last week, but I feel like there's more of a story there. Nintendo has really tried to position themselves - and Jim has even acknowledged this - that Nintendo seemingly tries to be antithesis of the modern greedy AAA games publisher loading their games up with season passes and microtransactions, sure, they do DLC, but it's always new or worthwhile content that is worth the price of admission, and other times they're upgrades or additions that are completely free, like updates to Super Mario Maker and Animal Crossing. But then they pull something like this, something so clearly with the purpose of maximizing sales through FOMO, and basically an invitation for scalpers to buy them in bulk and rip off people when the game is out of print, plus removing them from digital storefronts for basically no adequate reason of "fuck you that's why".

The Mario 35 is perhaps the more disturbing though. At least with the other games you'll be able to play them once purchased. After March 31, Mario 35 is gone, see ya, goodbye, can't play it. That is a scary precedent Nintendo is setting.

How is nintendo's normal shenanigans in any way more important than ubisoft's culture in which high ranking abusers, which had positions of trust among the rest of the company, were allowed to hurt people and get away with it?

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017

The video is about Ubisoft, one of the biggest game developers in the world, upcoming mobile game that targets kids, have a plot that basically claims all the civil unrest is caused by a shadow cabal, using a BLM imagery, and in cel shade graphic too, to capture that Fortnite demographic. It is basically conspiracy 101 for your children.
Edit: Bonus point in that you can play as a Cop, Swat team, or a gang member to stop ... the "bad guy".
I'm pretty sure Nintendo wants some more money for their remaster/remake/whatever the fuck, can wait.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is no reasonable criticism going on here. It's just "I don't like Jim" and "he's so mean to video games" over and over again.

I wasn't referring to those complaints, I should have made myself clearer. I was referring to the moderation team closing down the criticism of the decision to consider these videos 'news' and worthy of a new thread, when they are purely editorial pieces. Which is absolutely fine - but make more sense to be within the dedicated thread, which would remove the actual shit posting almost instantly.

And it was only ever my intention to refer to that, not the video, not the author, not the fans. I don't intend on replying within this thread again to avoid distracting the discussion again further.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit fuck I wasn't prepared for the Ubisoft game's trailer.
I despise that den of rapists and I thought we had explored the bottom of the extent of their fuckery.
I really do have a blindspot for Ubisoft that I'm genuinely surprised by a rotten move on their part.
Fuck them.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What? Where are you getting the idea that your digital purchase no longer works after March 31?

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
User warned (permanent threadban): drive-by, thread whining
Is there anything that Jim Sterling doesn't hate? Is there anything in life that brings him happiness or joy? I find his constant negativity insufferable.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

While that is irritating I wouldn't really call it more important then a gaming company with a large platform pushing a right wing conspiracy theory about a protest movement against racism.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
You know, I don't post a lot. Very rarely do I feel I have something that I can add that can further or add to the discussion. However, this shit, people complaining about Jim, is fucking obnoxious and is the pristine example of why Gaming side of this website is, while not a cesspool like other places, embarrassing.

"The Gamers" constantly say that Jim is too negative. Or, they say what he does is clickbait. Or that he's never positive. Not only does this show a complete disconnect with his content, but also with the reality of this shit Capitalist hellhole that is the gaming industry.

They made a fucking video about how a company, either deliberately or ignorantly, used Black Power iconography in an advertisement in game where the plot is that a secret unknown power is stroking the fires civil unrest, a literal Right Wing conspiracy theory. That's completely fucked up. People should be in here either discussing that or, if there a pile of shit idiot, how that totally isn't the case. Either way, the purpose of the thread is to discuss the video.

Instead, almost half the posts are talking about Jim, and I just cannot figure out why. There is an ignore thread feature. You have, I'm assuming, either a mouse with a scroll-wheel to move down to a different thread or a pair of fucking eyes that can look further down to a different topic. Instead, "The Gamers" made a deliberate and conscious decision to go into the thread, not watch the video, not discuss the topic when it's clarified in other posts, and shit on Jim.

Jim doesn't need my defense, so this isn't an attempt to defend him. It's an attempt to clarify why people refuse to talk about how fucking terrible this industry is. You people, who don't like negative news about your precious games, are exactly why this industry is so fucking unwelcoming to anybody who isn't a Cishet White man. The exact reason. The fear that if somebody says "this is a problem" the response will be "shut and play."

Ubisoft is a fucking horrible company and you shouldn't by their games. Crunch is a real thing and Naughty Dog and Rockstar should be raked through the coals for it. EA's monitization practices prey, quite literally, on people with gambling addictions and everybody should know about that. CD Projekt Red fetishes Transgendered people and that makes them, and their precious Cyberpunk game, a fucking problem.

Constantly avoiding those conversations buries them in the distant memory and doesn't properly inform people of what's going on. Lack of information results in people not being properly informed and believing everything is okay. I, for one, believe that I should be made aware of what's going on in the industry that collects billions of dollars and believe they should be called out on it. If this forum had as progressive a culture as it claims it does, on the gaming side, you wouldn't see threads with negative news about "The Gamers" newest toy being buried or bitched about.

So, in conclusion, shut the fuck up with negative news comes out and don't bitch about the author of the text, unless their personal views or actions are relevant to the discussion. Either participate to try and find solutions, signal boost to make sure more people are aware of the subject, or have the courage to post about how you don't agree the bad this a bad thing so everybody is aware of where you stand.

That's a great post!

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
There are many things covered in this video, but I especially agree that among the big publishers Ubisoft actually publishes some of the most politically-charged games. You can sure ignore all of that while playing them, but Ubisoft trying to distancethemselves from real-world politics while exploiting politics for promotion of their games is indeed disingenuous and ironic. And no way can I believe than no-one, not a single soul watching that "black-fist" video in question didn't notice what the imagery was similar to. They knew it, the people who worked on it knew it, the people who pressed the button to release it also knew it.

P.S. We really need threat rules for Jim Sterling-related threads to avoid general derailing by discussing Jim or his videos in general or to deter general thread-whining. This is embarrassing, especially on a forum with a very handy "ignore" feature. I've ignored countless annoying and, imo, pointless threads, but never once did I feel the need to come into one of them to inform everyone of my super important opinion on the thread's general existence.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I'm not a fan of the decision with regards to Mario 35, but this isn't really a new precedent given that this can apply to literally any game where being online is an absolutely crucial part of the experience since once the servers are shut down they're gone and there isn't really a good way to avoid that. Like best case you make an offline mode with bots, but especially for something like Mario 35 I feel like that defeats the entire appeal

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
How is nintendo's normal shenanigans in any way more important than ubisoft's culture in which high ranking abusers, which had positions of trust among the rest of the company, were allowed to hurt people and get away with it?

I agree with you 100%. For clarity, I would just like to add that what is happening inside this company is not just hurting people; it's outright destroying lives. Sexual abuse, assault, and rape is very serious. It's so fucked up.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is hilarious that they try to keep pushing the narrative that thier games aren't political when the entire Tom Clancy name was built on political/military thrillers. And just in general any game that revolves around participating in military action or something adjacent to that is inherently political.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
What? Where are you getting the idea that your digital purchase no longer works after March 31?

You're confusing Mario 3D All-Stars with the Mario 35 Battle Royale game.

Mario 3D All-Stars will be only available until March 31, but if you purchase the game beforehand you can still play it after that date.

Mario 35 will be free-to-play for everyone with a Nintendo Online subscription, but after March 31st, it will no longer be able to be played.

Oct 27, 2017
What does Mario and Nintendo have anything to do with a company currently swimming in sexual harassment accusations, and a video discussing just that?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

None of the criticism is reasonable wrt/ people whining about Jim Sterling getting separate threads for vids like these. It's just willfully ignorant Gamers wanting to feel less shitty about their consumer habits by wanting to hide anything that endangers to break that ignorance in mega-threads they don't have to visit.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
It really is hilarious that they try to keep pushing the narrative that thier games aren't political when the entire Tom Clancy name was built on political/military thrillers. And just in general any game that revolves around participating in military action or something adjacent to that is inherently political.
Hell, most if not all their biggest and most promoted hitters are insanely political. Stuff that's, relatively speaking, not that political is games like Trackmania, Brawlhalla or Just Dance.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Fantastic post and a reason why I call it out each time I see it.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

If I could force people to read your post before posting in a Jim thread, I would.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What does Mario and Nintendo have anything to do with a company currently swimming in sexual harassment accusations, and a video discussing just that?
The stupidest part is that Jim did a video about that too but since it's in the OT thread now, it get less views so idiots think that he hasn't covered it yet.
as for ubisoft I can't express how fucking furious I am at them.
bi3tui2nnbx11.jpg

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Will watch later. I do actually like some of Ubisoft's games but christ their workplace culture and Tom Clancy shit are indefensible and ensure I won't be spending a dime on anything they release for a long time.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell, most if not all their biggest and most promoted hitters are insanely political. Stuff that's, relatively speaking, not that political is games like Trackmania, Brawlhalla or Just Dance.
The fact that they continue to insist Tom Clancy games, of all things, are not political is just insulting stupid

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
None of the criticism is reasonable wrt/ people whining about Jim Sterling getting separate threads for vids like these. It's just willfully ignorant Gamers wanting to feel less shitty about their consumer habits by wanting to hide anything that endangers to break that ignorance in mega-threads they don't have to visit.
Yep

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to roll my eyes at people complaining about "negativity" and contributing nothing to the topic other than complaining about Jim.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Jim bangs on about stuff like this repeatedly because letting controversies be forgotten or letting certain bad shit become normalized by people becoming bored of talking about it is the usual strategy employed by corporates who expect gamers to get distracted by the next big shiny thing. And sadly, as Jim points out in this very video, it works. Ubisoft is racked by sexual abuse, etc. coming to light? Here's a Ubisoft Forward presentation to make people forget all about that. Blizzard sucking the Chinese Communist Party's dick? Here's Diablo 4 to make you forget Blizzard did that.

Even ignoring the thing about Ubisoft actively avoiding saying that their games have actual political messages (despite publishing Tom fucking Clancy games) and the BLM symbol marking a villainous faction (complete with cultural marxism as the faction's backstory and goals), the executives have enabled if not outright perpetrated numerous acts of harassment and abuse, hurting real people who will likely never see their abusers see justice. That is always worth banging on about. Your entertainment software is not worth actual harm caused to real people.

It continues to be a trash game. Neat. It seems Ubi really wants to cater to the alt-right crowd.
Well, using the Tom Clancy name alone makes that the inherent mission statement.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

Good post man.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Really good post! Thanks for taking the time to write this out.

I agree that a lot of the anger over his videos seem to stem from a desire to consume without guilt. Because as you stated it's hard to be positive about big game publishers when they so clearly overstep constantly.

Also when he is positive like with his Ghost of Tsushima review or the Fall Guys review there's not a lot of talk about that.

Oct 27, 2017
The stupidest part is that Jim did a video about that too but since it's in the OT thread now, it get less views so idiots think that he hasn't covered it yet.
as for ubisoft I can't express how fucking furious I am at them.
bi3tui2nnbx11.jpg
Actually I meant to write the Tom Clancy shit as an example but for some reason had the harassment stuff written instead, Ubisoft fucking it up on all fronts lol

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny that people complains about Jim being to negative, I don't think he's 100% right all of the time and you can criticize some of the stuff he does, but whatever. There's plenty of 'happy shinny people' game journalism out there if you don't want to hear about these issues. Like dozens and dozens of gaming youtube channels, podcast and all kind of content who don't even dare to touch these issues and that's fine! But I can't wrap my head about people being so mad at Jim because it criticizes their companies, games and the industry and only does that.

About the video itself we already had a thread the other day, glad Jim is dragging Ubisoft to the spotlight because this shit is bad and should be fully exposed. Is already bad that Guillemot won't even resign after allowing all that sexual abuse for years, now we have his son creating Qanon dumbfuckery.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
People's opinions of Jim seem to change every week, depending on the topic of his video. I dont always agree with him, and his tastes in games certainly differ from mine, but he makes great points sometimes and Ubisoft should definitely be called out. Their games havent even really appealed to me in a while since they kinda all are samey.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jim is literally calling out Ubi for pushing dangerous right wing conspiracies and this is your take?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

Thread whining is 'reasonable criticism' now?

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
User warned (permanent threadban): off-topic derailing, thread whining
Isn't this the guy that gave an AssasiCreed game a 4/10

Yeah we get it Jim
🙄

edit:
It's always hard to take him seriously because of his consistency of opinions and use of clickbait. Until that really changes or he addresses that I don't think a lot of people will take him as serious as many of you think/hope he is.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
And all that without taking into account the crunch stories as well.
There's no bottom to Rapesoft's fuckery.
Ubisoft used to be my favorite game publisher. I bought AC Odyssey some weeks before the sexual harassment accusations came to light and honestly felt bad about buying the game. I will never buy another Ubisoft game again as long as Yves is CEO.