• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blockade85

Dec 4, 2018
I'm in the same boat as OP kind of, like, I miss my commute, and seeing my team and being able to talk to them. I work in support, so I also like having the demo units of our equipment that I can work with a client on. But, I'm a creature of habit that packs the same lunch every day, takes the same route to work, and working from home has thrown my routine into a blender. Also, I live in a small house, and my bedroom is my office now, along with my family constantly pestering me, and my dogs barking at every sound they hear. Once we go back, I'm probably going to do the split 3 office, 2 home though, but for now, the best way I can describe it is that there's no separation of church and state with work for me, so WFH is frustrating.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yeah my office was an escape from problems in my home and now I'm forced to confront them. But also, as you said, I miss the environment and meeting new people and interacting with other people. Now I spend my brakes cleaning litter boxes. On a positive note I get to see my son a lot more but he gets bored of me being on the phone for 10 hours a day.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
The corporate office is a capitalist hellscape and I'll be damned if I step foot back into it again.
This. Get some friends that aren't your coworkers.

Miss the office? Some of you people are mad or nutty extroverts or something.

I don't and will never miss having to be the only liberal in the office with the balls to talk up to non political political people that aren't republicans, yet spout republican talking points because all people in tech are libertarians or something.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I miss seeing my coworkers in person and being able to randomly shoot the shit with people when i bump into them in hallways or outside their offices, but the benefits of working from home have been too great for me to give up (no commute, fewer pointless meetings, being able to concentrate on my work since people are no longer coming into my office and distracting me). My boss informed me that the units that have been able to WFH with minimal disruptions this year would be able to choose to keep WFH when this dies down, so I would probably go with 4 days WFH + 1 day in-office.

I do feel really bad for the newer employees I supervise who started during 2020 and have had to try to get to know people and build their networks in this environment. I've been doing my best to get their faces out there through random Teams chats, but it's just not the same as introducing a new employee to people face to face and them having the opportunity to get to know people naturally.

Last edited:

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey I never got back to you about the weird formatting your posts are showing up with on desktop, so here you go:

gS4baLn.png
That is weird. Looks like it does something weird to my letter "I️". Wonder if it's a mobile thing. Still look normal on my end

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm back in the office and wishing I was working from home like back in Spring. The grass is always greener yada yada.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
I work with people 20+ older than me and we're still in the office...
I'm jealous of folks working remotely.

Aug 1, 2018
Nah, I'm good with never going back into an office environment again.

I love being able to cook my breakfast, lunch and dinner and generally eat better since I can just walk to my kitchen.

And I especially love not having to commute every day and instead use that time to exercise.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I miss it, i work for a pretty young and modern company so i miss going out for work drinks and lunches paid for by the office.

I like WFH in regards to so would love to mix and match them. 2 days WFH, 3 days in office would do me great

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
People sound like they just want to hang out with friends and have fun. That I do miss. I missed my office set up at work and traveling for work. Being a titanium member at Marriott and having status with United, is something that I really miss. Can't wait to get back out on the road.

OP
OP
Labyrinthe

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
I feel ya. 1 hour total time for me. The distractions are a thing here or if someone needs help I then need to hunt them down if they aren't in the bathroom or taking a smoke break. The conversations at work are also "Boy's Locker room" topics but yeah it's not fun to have to sit back and listen to.

I like WFH since everything's time stamped now and it keeps both sides more on task especially the ones who abuse it on site.

Have you seen Misaeng? I wonder if your opinion would change after watching that show.

I will, thanks for the recommendation!

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
My colleagues are all easy to talk to and pretty pleasant to be around, and yeah, being a single guy living alone means I don't really see anyone outside random people at the supermarket. But what I miss the most is the distinction between beeing at work and being at home. This weird hybrid setup is just no good for the way my mind works. I would definitely be significantly more productive in an office setting and I quite enjoy the distinction between being at work and being at home.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I'm sure you're not the only one. I'm the opposite though, I love wfh and I hope I never have to go back to the office. I hate chit chatting with coworkers about bs I don't really care about and no commute, it's way better. I'm an introvert so I'm sure that plays into it.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I love WFH. Don't have to deal with certain people and I can just chill in my space. This is a lot more comfortable.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
For the people who hope to keep working from home, if your job can be done entirely from your home, then it can be entirely done from another person's home in the Philippines or anywhere else that will charge 1/20th of the salary for the same work. I would do everything I can to get back into the office, otherwise start looking for a new job in the next year or two. I'm already seeing it happen across a lot of businesses.

Lol, it can't.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Don't miss it at all. No time wasted with commutes or packing lunches. No spending extra money on gas or takeout. My coworkers are fine people but I am not friends with them. Breaks can be used to do things I actually want or need to do.

Working from home is nothing but upsides over here.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
As the only IT guy in my company, my day would be constantly interrupted by simple question, or things that aren't related to my job at all, but they ask me about anyway because I'm too darn nice and don't tell people to leave me alone. And it's been really nice taking my dog for walks during what would have been my lunch hour.

Well now I am left alone and can actually concentrate on my job, or maybe even do some training to keep myself current on new stuff I'm behind on... not that I have, though. The office environment is nice for helping me keep on-task, I do lack discipline.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even mind my coworkers but I'd rather sit on a traffic cone than go back to working at my office full time.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sometimes I miss the office, then I think to all those hours spent waiting in -10 to -30* weather waiting for, riding a bus and walking to from the bus stop in the winter. And the hours wasted in the summer. Then those thoughts are brushed away until they next time.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
As the only IT guy in my company, my day would be constantly interrupted by simple question, or things that aren't related to my job at all, but they ask me about anyway because I'm too darn nice and don't tell people to leave me alone. And it's been really nice taking my dog for walks during what would have been my lunch hour.

Well now I am left alone and can actually concentrate on my job, or maybe even do some training to keep myself current on new stuff I'm behind on... not that I have, though. The office environment is nice for helping me keep on-task, I do lack discipline.
No ticketing system?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the first time in my life I was working in a place where I actually liked my coworkers and enjoyed speaking with them. That being said, I vastly prefer working from home. So much better.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I totally miss the 2 hours+ in traffic everyday, the tiny cubicles, the noise, and people coming to work sick and spreading it everywhere. Hard pass.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Yeah I'd like to get back to the office even for two days a week would be fine. I miss face to face interaction and heading out for a pint after work.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I miss seeing my coworkers more than I thought I would, but that is definitely the only thing about going to an office to do my job that I miss. Whenever things get back to whatever normal looks like going forward, I am hoping I can still WFH 3-4 days a week.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind going back to the office a couple of times a week. Training new people remotely hasn't been fun for anyone. And sitting at home all day with just my dog is too much alone time.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely despise WFH. It's great to have as a way to get work done when life stuff comes up (e.g. sick child, plumber visiting) but that's about it.

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I have a nice private office and an overall good office environment, yet I would never go back if I didn't eventually have to. WFH and much of 2020 has revealed that we really need to question why we operate the way we do.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in the office every day this entire time.

Unfortunately I am one of about six office employees still present, the other 75+ are work from home.

As a result the office portion of the building is hella quiet but the manufacturing side is as busy as ever.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I am excited to get into the office. I haven't physically met my boss or team only hired at the beginning of November. We work 4x10s but when we return one day a week is virtual. That seems perfect to me

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Those of you dying to go back, you know it isn't going to be like it was before, right?

Most large companies are moving to a hybrid model with hoteling, and a large portion of employees are going to be home.

You are never going to have all your coworkers there with you again.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
The gossip I just don't care about, the small talk with people 30 years older than me, the corporate speak, the "optional" functions outside of work hours that your boss pressures you into joining.

Don't miss any of it.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
At times. Short commute and I tended to enjoy the small talks in the office. Also nice being able to get an answer to a question right away by walking two feet.

Working from home though... No commute, wake up five minutes before I need to be at work, wear pajamas and fluffy socks all day, etc. I can also just IM the people I want to talk with.

There are days I want to go back, but I think I do prefer working from home, at least once I get the hang of a job.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I don't miss spending 1.5 hours commuting every work day. Ugh. That's enough to make me say "no."

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I set one up but the only behavior that stuck with the users is to email a specific address rather than emailing me directly; it didn't stop pop-ins.
Gotta drop the hammer lol. I remember working with one IT pro and he would gently prod anyone with an issues--"Is there a ticket"? He would smile while doing it. In a very funny way.

He trained everyone like a pet lol. Took time though.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Of course I miss being in the office. I already had a permanent wfh Friday and when I go back I will probably extend that to Monday as well.

But there is a huge part of teamwork that is missing with WFH only. In a dev environment specifically the ability to bounce ideas quickly leads to some of the best solutions. Also, snagging lunch with people helps them be well "people" and not just coworker 197232 who does work.