• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
I'm watching a tv show (k-drama - Touch your heart) that's principally shot in a downtown office and it reminds me that i really really miss my office and the "vibe" that comes with it.

I miss talking to people face to face, creating connections and going to restaurant/bars downtown with my team.

I was a big lover of doing WFH but it's going to be 10 months already of not getting a foot in the office and i'm now tired of WFH. I miss my suits and the pride that came with it, going to the office and doing my routine.

Am i the only one?

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
No, I fucking loathe WFH with a passion. One day, maybe two days a week of WFH here and there is nice, but screw doing that all the time.

Oct 30, 2017
Working in my office is way better than working from home. Can't wait to go back to a "normal" routine.

Disclaimer: my office is a 7 km bike ride from home.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be about the show.

But I'm good WFH. At first I was super stressed about it and like "no way I can do this without being in the office." Then I was forced to because coworkers caught COVID-19. Now they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming back in.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Fully remote for the entirety of this gig I have rn. First time fully remote, post COVID19 as well. I do miss the office as well. And the normalcy.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I sorta do, too. We would always take the new hire to lunch and I definitely miss that. Now, when new people get hired, people never really know (or care) lol. They just get lost in the zillions of new emails we all get now.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. All they do is talk about Fox News and why trump is right. Even tho your not supposed to discuss politics at work.

Gotta play nice with co workers that you could care less about. Listen to shit you can't relate to.

Gotta code switch, can't be your self frfr.

Love the vibe at home.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I don't miss commutes taking up hours of my day. I do miss lurking in on others conversations in open office though, and lunch spots in my downtown area.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Man, fuck that shit. My office was awful and I don't miss it for a fucking second. A bunch of loud miserable shits. The few people I actually like keep in touch via IM all day long so it's the best of all worlds.

VIVA LA WORK FROM HOME

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Been WFH for 12 years and will never consider another job that doesn't offer it.

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
There was a time when I missed the separation of work and home but that's gone away. I love WFH and I hope to keep it up as long as possible. The commute, idle chit chat, etc was my least favorite part of working.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I fucking loathe being in the office.

I fucking loathe sitting in traffic two hours everyday.

I fucking loathe having to wear noise canceling headphones all day.

I fucking loathe people distracting me from my work, they could just DM in Teams/Slack

I fucking loathe people seeing me as 'the black guy'

I fucking loathe people seeing me as 'the fat guy'

I fucking loathe having to be quiet as people sprout conspiracy/racist/transphobic nonsense, else I get a warning from HR for 'being hostile'

Nah, fuck all that shit

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
There are a lot of things I like with WFH but I do miss being in an office. I only live ten minutes away from the office so the commute is great too. As I work in a gaming company I do miss working somewhere with a lot of people of similar interests. Especially since I emigrated to work here.

But at the same time, WFH is very convenient for me and many others. Being able to do so entirely and being able to live wherever I want would be very appealing to me.

May 19, 2020
yeah i really miss being shoved into a desk in an open air office where disease could easily spread even before covid and smelling peoples bags of popcorn and hearing their stupid bullshit about what their kids did this week

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Incredibly unproductive setting, I don't miss it one bit. Would probably go back 1-2 days a week if forced.

Oct 25, 2017
I do miss being able to interact with coworkers, I just started a new role and would love to just grab a beer with the folks there just so they get a better feel of who I am and vice versa

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
wtf you like wearing suits?? What pride are you talking about? Thank god we have a casual dress option.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely enjoyed working in an office downtown. Was super fun and so much to do for lunch or after work. I definitely will look forward to working from home and from the office. Splitting my time is the best.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I don't miss the office at all.

If I had it my way, WFH would be the current standard for everyone who had the ability to do it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can understand the yearn for that personal connection, especially if you're in a fun office environment that's downtown. But for me, the longer I go without it the more I find WFH just plain makes more sense for most office workers.

WFH for many companies revealed how much time is wasted going to the office. Waking up early to get the kids ready then commute, lunch (1.5 hours for many before), meetings (remote meetings, even conference calls, are shorter and seem far more efficient), speaking of meetings people now rely more on Teams/Slack/IM further saving time. Not to mention that because so many people dipped out super early on Fridays every project manager and middle manager tried to squeeze a ton of meetings in on Fridays prior to about 3:30PM so many Fridays were basically lost in terms of productivity.

I know some people in my org that keep bringing up how great it will be to be back in the office sometime in 2021, and I am not saying anything against you OP, but all of those people in my company were the lazy ones - showed up at 9AM when the rest of us were in at 8AM or 8:30AM, they took those near two hour lunches, made meetings run long while they horsed around, left at 3PM on the dot every Friday, etc. They were getting over earning six figures while only putting in a good 30 hours a week, tops, many weeks even less. So for them, yea, they want that life back. Now they're expected to get things done and stop kicking the can into next week because there's no excuse.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Let me sum up this thread

People who had good office environments: miss it

People who didn't or had long commutes: don't miss it

(I miss it)

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't. I've worked from home since 2018 and I never want to step foot in an office again.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
lol nah

I miss the colleagues I like, but fuck the politics and all the cliques

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I do as well, though there are also things I love about WFH. Finding the right balance is going to be the key going forward.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

(I miss it)

You can also add people who live in places big enough to have a spare room for an office. Personally my mental health has taken a huge hit working from home these past 9 months.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
The corporate office is a capitalist hellscape and I'll be damned if I step foot back into it again.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I like my coworkers but not having to get ready and commute (even if it's like 20 mins) and not spend money on gas is nice. Went from filling up 4x a month to 1x, maybe 2x. Don't have to drive in the snow either. Also easier to get food, and I also like to exercise during my breaks which I won't be doing in my work clothes.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Love my home life. Love not commuting and having more time to spend w here it matters more to me. I like my team but work is fucking work.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Last time I worked in an office I was 15 years younger than everyone else minimum. And none shared any interests with me.

One person mocked me for liking comics. So yeah, don't miss it that much.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I also miss going into the office and going for drinks after work. Although I will say that I had a flexible work arrangements that basically allowed me to WFH any time I wanted since my job was 80% travel.

Oct 27, 2017

(I miss it)

You also have to consider that the pandemic forced a sudden adjustment to remote work in addition to people with kids having to juggle the whole virtual learning/babysitting side of things.

From what I've seen, if you work with software, that's totally the type of job where 95% of your day is sitting and thinking/brainstorming while typing new code is only a few minutes of the day. So it translates well to WFH life. I mean the typical software dev probably only writes like 50* lines of code a day but it just takes 8 hours to think of it.

That totally translates well to WFH since you're not burdened with as much of a paperwork/phone call quota. If you're constantly doing something "real" that you can't be distracted from, then I can see WFH being a hassle for people in those jobs.

Personally, I love WFH. I'm more productive, all the coworker communication I need to do is actually easier when we both are at our computers, and I don't have to bother doing the whole morning routine and spend the first couple hours at work in a haze.

*I am not counting any instance of copy-pasting code blocks that are 80% the same.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
While I absolutely love working from home and prefer it long-term, there's nothing quite like having an entire day disappear by being in an office. Old school people love the office because in-person meetings, in-person coffee breaks, in-person stop-and-chats all add up and a slow day can pass by quickly.

Sep 15, 2020
I fucking loathe being in the office.

I fucking loathe sitting in traffic two hours everyday.

I fucking loathe having to wear noise canceling headphones all day.

I fucking loathe people distracting me from my work, they could just DM in Teams/Slack

I fucking loathe people seeing me as 'the black guy'

I fucking loathe people seeing me as 'the fat guy'

I fucking loathe having to be quiet as people sprout conspiracy/racist/transphobic nonsense, else I get a warning from HR for 'being hostile'

Nah, fuck all that shit

I feel ya. 1 hour total time for me. The distractions are a thing here or if someone needs help I then need to hunt them down if they aren't in the bathroom or taking a smoke break. The conversations at work are also "Boy's Locker room" topics but yeah it's not fun to have to sit back and listen to.

I like WFH since everything's time stamped now and it keeps both sides more on task especially the ones who abuse it on site.

I'm watching a tv show (k-drama - Touch your heart) that's principally shot in a downtown office and it reminds me that i really really miss my office and the "vibe" that comes with it.

Have you seen Misaeng? I wonder if your opinion would change after watching that show.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
As a trader who hates wearing the wall street getup, I'm loving WFH. I don't have to listen to people talk about their kids playing lacrosse (sport for ivy people who couldn't play hockey). I also can read research a lot faster without distractions.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I work in a small office that was pretty tight knit and a lot of fun, it's a government job so you could walk to a coworker office and bullshit for an hour and no one would batt an eye, we always did stuff for peoples birthdays and stuff too, just a fun time. I'm glad to be working from home since I just had a baby but I look forward to next year when we can get back to normal.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I did but I think I gotten over the office vibe. I do miss organizing pizza parties in the old office i was before i briefly switched to a new one before the pandemic though. But i could always hang out with the officemates I enjoyed after the pandemic is over too.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It was fun when some of my coworkers were my closest friends but they changed positions and moved away.

Working in the office is just boring now.

Last edited:

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Current job still requires me to go into the office for checking panels and such and customer site visits. I like what I do but I'm working on an exit plan, learning programming at this point.