• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I am of the believe that franchises should find an end as to not get milked to death and I will continue to having this perspective but damn, I cant lie when I say that I really do miss Metal Gear Solid. Its one of the franchises that I followed from the beginning and something I was always looking foward to. Now with Kojima being out of Konami (for 5 years already wtf, time truly flies) its most likely the true end for the franchise.

I think the big problem for me is that there is no real subsitute. I have not played Death Stranding because the gameplay does not look appealing to me so Im not sure how much resemblance it has to MGS. Im kind of open for Konami or someone else to continue the franchise with a reboot or something along those lines because I need my semi philosophical commentary on the military complex with crazy boss fights.

tenor.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Death Stranding is nothing like MGS, but it does have that Kojima wackiness if you're interested.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I have not played Death Stranding because the gameplay does not look appealing to me so Im not sure how much resemblance it has to MGS

i definitely recommend you try anyway, maybe on a sale or something. not that it's anything like MGS but - very generally speaking - you'll be scratching a certain itch

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy they created this beautiful engine that looked and ran great, designed arguably the best controlling 3rd person shooter on the market.... only not not make anymore MGS games in the same mold.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the gameplay of Death Stranding is for very particular tastes, if it doesn't look good to you don't bother

I loved it, spent 80 hours with it, but it's like recommending Euro Truck Simulator to Burnout fans

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
It's kinda crazy they created this beautiful engine that looked and ran great, designed arguably the best controlling 3rd person shooter on the market.... only not not make anymore MGS games in the same mold.
the most expertly designed football engine of all time

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I miss MGS too but you should try DS. I didn't think I'd like the gameplay with my bad ADD but it was oddly addictive and very relaxing.

Great cutscenes too, super kojima if you're looking for that weird fix rn

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Without Kojima I don't think I mind if MGS stays dead. A remaster or 4k patch for the HD collection and a release of 4 on new platforms would be enough for me.

As a huge MGS fan for 22 years I loved DS, you should give it a chance.

OP
OP
IOTS

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
It's the most Kojima game since MGS2.
MGS2 is actually the one entry I would rank towards my least favorite games from MGS.

the gameplay of Death Stranding is for very particular tastes, if it doesn't look good to you don't bother

I loved it, spent 80 hours with it, but it's like recommending Euro Truck Simulator to Burnout fans
i definitely recommend you try anyway, maybe on a sale or something. not that it's anything like MGS but - very generally speaking - you'll be scratching a certain itch
I was actually looking foward to Death Stranding because the tone was legit great and I liked the super natural aspect of it.
I was just expecting more than just delivering packages and was schocked thats what the game was really about gameplay wise.

I hope Kojimas next game will be more action orientated.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
imo, Death Stranding does something that Kojima wanted to do with MGSV but didn't quite nail; the planning

Death Stranding is all about planning the most efficient and/or safe path, and you do that with rigorous planning of your route

Once you lay your own path for the first time, it link with the 'Network' and your path merges with others, making LITERAL walking paths depending on the most traveled areas

MGSV really wanted planning to be a major thing, with the loadout, briefs, and infiltration being done at the start of every single mission, but it became really easy to just go in with a preset and not worry until you were already in a base

That's where Death Stranding shines, imo. You can plan your path from the map screen, but you also have to try and account for other things, like cliffs, chasms, rivers, etc. Maybe you'll decide to pack some spare ladders just in case, maybe you'll bring an extra pair of shoes (always bring extra shoes)

It's a very particular kind of gameplay loop that i really enjoyed and I feel like Kojima nailed over MGSV

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
5 is only 5 years old, it's gonna be a while before this resonates for me... but as a big fan I perfectly understand what you mean. Personally, I hope the series is done with, permanently. 4 and 5 were already huge mistakes as far as the story is concerned and aside from the story there's nothing good about MGS that can't be properly replicated using a different IP.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the biggest MGS fans around, and I believe the franchise is better off dead now. The story has been told, and MGS4 finished it masterfully. It has a beginning and an end. At this point adding more and more would just feel like unnecessary filler (MGSV already felt too much like filler).

Also, without Kojima it would just be fan fiction. The series had a good run, better to remember it fondly that way. Personally, I'm super glad it ended.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I don't, and I love MGS. I felt like the series had began to lose some of its magic by MGS4, and by the time I had finished 5, I was confident that it was well past time the series was put to rest.

But with that said, there hasn't been anything like MGS since. I can't think of any other game that touches upon real world politics, the military-industrial complex and philosophy, all of which is delivered to you in one of Kojima's glorious lectures, quite in the same way that MGS does.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still want that Metal Gear Zero WWII Boss game.

Metal Gear in WWII with the boss as the protagonist... I want it damn it

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I basically spent all of Death Stranding pretending I was playing MGS and had a really great time... but man I miss MGS.

OP
OP
IOTS

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I'm one of the biggest MGS fans around, and I believe the franchise is better off dead now. The story has been told, and MGS4 finished it masterfully. It has a beginning and an end. At this point adding more and more would just feel like unnecessary filler (MGSV already felt too much like filler).

Also, without Kojima it would just be fan fiction. The series had a good run, better to remember it fondly that way. Personally, I'm super glad it ended.
But you could continue the franchise while keeping the legacy intact. Keep key aspects of the games like the stealth mechanics, art style, boss designs, the way the story is framed etc. and create a brand new storyline with new interesting characters. Maybe have prior events play a small role.

I would definitely be interested something like this.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't maxed out my MGSV bases after like a year and a half!

Gonna do it though!

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
MGS2 is actually the one entry I would rank towards my least favorite games from MGS.

I was actually looking foward to Death Stranding because the tone was legit great and I liked the super natural aspect of it.
I was just expecting more than just delivering packages and was schocked thats what the game was really about gameplay wise.

The main goal may be delivering packages but there's lots of action opportunities available in the game if you don't want to sneak around once you reach the second map.

weapon-rack02.jpg

Once the game opens up midway through it has a similar sandbox playground vibe that mgs5 had.

Last edited:

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017

Just play Death Stranding. Leave it to Kojima to make delivering packages and building roads one of the most unique and engaging gameplay experiences of the generation. If you enjoyed MGSV's sandbox with its myriad toys and systems, you will very likely enjoy your time with DS.

OP
OP
IOTS

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
The main goal may be delivering packages but there's lots of action opportunities available in the game if you don't want to sneak around once you reach the second map.

weapon-rack02.jpg

Once the game opens up midway through it has a similar sandbox playground vibe that mgs5 had.

I appreciate your good will and that you want to promote the more MGS like aspects of Death Stranding but if Im honest this is vid is not exactly as appealing as I would want it to be. With that said, I guess I will play Death Stranding most likely sooner or later just to experience it and make up my own opinion.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
The HD collection is the first thing I purchased with the Xbox Series X. It's a shame MGS 4 is still trapped on PS3. If Kojima was still with Konami, we would be getting close to the Metal Gear 1 Remake with Young Snake taking down Venom.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017

I couldn't agree more, I played through 1-4 earlier this year, first time in a long time that I've played them all. The story that starts with Metal Gear Solid is so well wrapped up in Guns of the Patriots that I couldn't ask for more.
Do I want more fun adventures with Snake and the gang? Hell yeah, but I also realise that some things should just not be touched again. We got four games with some of the most fun plot and story I've ever experienced in any media.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I miss MGS too and also have been evading Death Stranding ... I just wanted a MGS in WWII with The Boss as MC!

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I like all the mainline games, but I don't want another one without Kojima. It just wouldn't be the same.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do too. DS is trash, and Kojima will most likely continue on with it. Splinter cell is no more too. I'm now looking towards Perfect Dark, it's an FPS but we dont have big budget espionage games incoming so it's something I'm really looking forward to.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
While I wouldn't mind it continuing in some form or another, I'm fine with there not being any new games. 4 and 5 were both kind of a mess (in their own different ways, which is admittedly impressive) and yeah, Death Stranding will not fill the MGS void.

I'd like to see the series still available on everything going forward though, as unlikely as that may be with 4.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I still hope Sony gets the license and they get Bluepoint, or Kojima if he is up to it, to remake the OG Metal Gear games. No solid.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's a shame the strong and amazing feeling gameplay mechanics of MGS5 won't be built further upon in any meaningful way. Imagine MGS5's gameplay in a game that wasn't too ambitious for its budget (finance and time).