• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'll wait until I see more. I'm not basing anything off of a trailer with no gameplay.

Thread should be locked honestly. Seems like MS can't do anything right according to a lot of y'all.

OP
OP
Kokoro

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
Ok, so, first I'm sorry if I have come up a someone who is trolling or console warring as it is not my intention, at all.
I have not seen the secret ending (I have missed one rune in my playtrough) and I obviously didn't remember the line "there is more adventures" (I remember the ending being Senua dropping Dillion's head, saying him good bye and leaving). So, ok, there is a reason for a second one. But this wasn't my main concern, I was just curious how they'd justify another game. My main concern is the tone of the game and how they are gonna treat the mental illness aspect.
When I was saying the "God of War" of Xbox, it wasn't to say that Microsoft or Ninja Theory wanted to make their God of War, or that they was any influence from anyone to do something like that, it was just to illustrate a feeling that I had watching the trailer (that the game looked more Epic).
Thanks to Garlador and others who had said and showed me things that reassure me.
Again, sorry, it's my first thread and I just wanted to share and discuss my worries about the sequel of a game I really liked. And obviously I'm not again a sequel existing because I think about buying a console just for this game alone even if I have some fears.
I will try to do a more positive thread next time.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread went exactly as expected lol. I'll give the original creators the benefit of the doubt.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
SMH at the obvious, most blatant concern trolling over a sequel to a game made by the same people of the original instead of trusting them to a game we know nothing about.

Who's concern trolling? I've felt this way about other mediums and stories. Others even brought up last of us, which isn't a terrible example. Doesn't mean it's going to be awful or good. Still going to wait and see as I do with every other game. Some of you are a bit looney at times.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Ok, so, first I'm sorry if I have come up a someone who is trolling or console warring as it is not my intention, at all.
I have not seen the secret ending (I have missed one rune in my playtrough) and I obviously didn't remember the line "there is more adventures" (I remember the ending being Senua dropping Dillion's head, saying him good bye and leaving). So, ok, there is a reason for a second one. But this wasn't my main concern, I was just curious how they'd justify another game. My main concern is the tone of the game and how they are gonna treat the mental illness aspect.
When I was saying the "God of War" of Xbox, it wasn't to say that Microsoft or Ninja Theory wanted to make their God of War, or that they was any influence from anyone to do something like that, it was just to illustrate a feeling that I had watching the trailer (that the game looked more Epic).
Thanks to Garlador and others who had said and showed me things that reassure me.
Again, sorry, it's my first thread and I just wanted to share and discuss my worries about the sequel of a game I really liked. And obviously I'm not again a sequel existing because I think about buying a console just for this game alone even if I have some fears.

No need to apologise Kokoro, you've done absolutely nothing wrong here.

It's the people who can't handle a differing opinion that need to take a look at themselves.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
This thread is a disgusting display of console warring completely overtaking actual conversation. If this is what Era is in for in the next 12 months, this place is going to be a wasteland.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
What they need to do is fixing the problem the first game had, the repetitiveness in enigma, combat with more diversity in enemies and the game will be amazing.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade was a really good experience, great graphics and story but my god the gameplay and combat was terrible. I really hope they improve next time round.
My larger worry is the gameplay tbh. The actual combat got pretty tiresome for me and I was more or less pushing through it just to see the story. And on top of that there were some frustrating sections like traversing the dark to find the light with really annoying enemies that insta kill you.

It was worth it for the story, but I hope the next one is a lot more enjoyable to actually play.

This is actually one of the big things I hope they don't radically alter - The gameplay is simplistic, forgiving and pared down but is tactile and has oomph, which I feel is perfect for what Hellblade was trying to be. I also loved the dark sections - Super terrifying with headphones in a dark room.

The mechanics are simple in service of the narrative and storytelling, to keep the action moving. An extreme, but if you implemented Dark Souls combat, it would be a great detriment to the story and the feeling of empowerment. I guess some more difficulty options could be good, but if the narrative for the sequel takes an entirely different approach anyway, it might not matter.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
This thread is a disgusting display of console warring completely overtaking actual conversation. If this is what Era is in for in the next 12 months, this place is going to be a wasteland.
Reddit, Twitter, Forums etc. Its all gonna be a mess till like H1 2021 if im being honest.

Always is when new consoles release, people cant just be happy.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
The thread going this way isn't your fault it just turns in good ol ERA fashion. Have a good day :)

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I think it's way too early to worry about the game but the posts in here assuming anyone who has a negative opinion is doing it out of some anti-Xbox bias needs to fucking relax.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I trust in Ninja Theory's ability to create another memorable experience. The ending doesn't necessarily mean Senua is "cured" forever.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand, Senua became a Valkyrie for the Norse gods to save her lover's soul. Her sacrifice was her death but in return her partner gets released into...gaia I think?

What I see here is Senua now a Valkyrie leading her einhajar in what looks to be "Ragnarok" (a volcano exploding). Maybe this time it is the other people who will be suffering from mental conditions as they travel through the gas-filled swamps and whatnot: That rock monster was just them hallucinating.

Edit: I don't think Senua is the main playable character in this game. If anything, the trailer makes it seem she is now the antagonist. If she is playable, expect her to be leading different souls into Ragnarok as she agreed to in the end of Hellblade 1.

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I've read every post in this thread and quoted pretty much all of the concern but if you don't want to back up your delusion at least don't try to take some high horse

Dude, again go have a fucking seat. I ain't taking a high horse to nothing. If I feel a way I'm saying it just as everyone else who called it out. You're the only delusional one here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand, Senua became a Valkyrie for the Norse gods to save her lover's soul. Her sacrifice was her death but in return her partner gets released into...gaia I think?

What I see here is Senua now a Valkyrie leading her einhajar in what looks to be "Ragnarok" (a volcano exploding). Maybe this time it is the other people who will be suffering from mental conditions as they travel through the gas-filled swamps and whatnot: That rock monster was just them hallucinating.
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I personally do hope this one is more action oriented a bit. Still keep sooner puzzles and some of the walking simulator parts but have some great action sequences.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think NT deserves the benefit of the doubt

And even if SS is a bit more open, a bit more actiony than the first why not? It doesnt have to retreat the same journey this is the samr Senua but a powerful warrior against an army of demons

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
This is actually one of the big things I hope they don't radically alter - The gameplay is simplistic, forgiving and pared down but is tactile and has oomph, which I feel is perfect for what Hellblade was trying to be. I also loved the dark sections - Super terrifying with headphones in a dark room.

The mechanics are simple in service of the narrative and storytelling, to keep the action moving. An extreme, but if you implemented Dark Souls combat, it would be a great detriment to the story and the feeling of empowerment. I guess some more difficulty options could be good, but if the narrative for the sequel takes an entirely different approach anyway, it might not matter.
Some people earlier in the thread were saying it could be like Microsoft's God of War.. this big open epic. I think if that were to be the case they would definitely need to change the gameplay style for that. I don't think they will and I don't think it will be 'their God of War' but it'll be interesting to see the size of it and what they do with it.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, guys it could be the Heavenly Sword sequel we always wanted 😳

images

I feel that's kind of the issue though. That type of sequel would work better with the Heavenly Sword IP. I feel it's hard to increase the scope add more "gamey" elements given the tone and subject matter of Hellblade.
Of course it's very early so there isn't that much to go off of, but I can see where the concern comes from..

And yeah, Hellblade had a sequel stinger bit at the end, but it was pretty minor and it felt like a complete story in terms of character development.

While there's definitely more console war type stuff in the MS threads on Resetera, it's pretty obvious that's not where the OP was coming from at all.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

Edit: I don't think Senua is the main playable character in this game. If anything, the trailer makes it seem she is now the antagonist. If she is playable, expect her to be leading different souls into Ragnarok as she agreed to in the end of Hellblade 1.

Hi.

I want this game to be this.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say. I do think it's weird to continue the story in the first place.
I thought it was a powerful one off thing. It being such a rare and novel idea made it special, too.
My GF was in a mental institution for the past two years. Schizophrenia/severe psychosis.
Senua is scarily accurate. Had to stop playing the game, hit too close to home.
I do appreciate the game showing the real deal.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I am certainly not convinced yet,at first glance it screams franchising.

On the other hand,the team is very very talented and could surprise us with their vision of the sequel

Lets see

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
The game had an amazing fight system, it would be cool if it can be expanded upon in another game ..

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of many games that need a sequel less. I didn't love Hellblade, but I certainly appreciated it. The story was satisfyingly complete. I don't see there being a great opportunity for a compelling sequel. I guess we will have to wait and see...

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
The OP is talking about suffering from mental illness? Hey, let me chime in and attack them in order to defend my Favorite Corporation™. The persecution complex some of you have is worrying. Not everything is console warring and replying showing some empathy is not that hard.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Yes it's something I'm mixed about as well eversince seeing the ending and it's a valid concern. Senua at the end relieved herself of a great burden and felt more at peace, so her going to war and be at the center of it is quite a step. It does help that accepting your situation does not mean the situation has changed.

At the end of the day it does mean more opportunities to showcase Senua and Melina Juergens performance. If you have to make a Hellblade 2, then it's probably not gonna work going through similar hoops.

I think they'll keep the hud clean again, give the combat weight probably with some more options and have more open environments. still have a linear story driven game with puzzle elements.

I'm guessing closer to the tomb raider reboot in scope, we'll have to see. I'm likely not being able to play it anyway with it being a MS exclusive, but I'm keeping an eye on it all the same.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I can appreciate feeling ambivalent about a sequel being announced for a game that's resonated with you in a particular way. I felt the same way about The Last Of Us Pt 2. I was concerned that might make the first game feel less special. I came to terms with this pretty quickly though, once I heard what the devs had to say and what the project really was.
This is a bit different this time as we barely have anything to work with. Until we know more, try to keep your faith in Ninja Theory ; they were able to make something that's meaningful to you and carrying on with the franchise is their choice first and foremost.
Personally I'm very curious to see what they can do with a bigger budget, and if they're able to keep that magic that made the first game feel so unique.

Edit : How can you seriously have no idea for your avatar after making this thread