• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
I played the game but I didn't get all the runes so I don't know about this secret ending. What does it change?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Era? Nah it's pretty blatantly a bunch of Sony fanboys getting all "concerned" about a game that was in development before MS bought NT, and are now trying to whip up some hysterics. We've already had multiple threads about the same exact 3 topics.

The fact that supposed Senua "fans" don't even remember how the game ends with a blatant sequel tease says a lot about their "love" of the game

Okay well Hellblade is my GOTY and if it sates your console warz suspicion, Xbox is far and away my platform of choice. I've posted a ton in the XGS OTs and I've expressed concern over a potential sequel in the past prior to the announcement.

Not everything is console warz, your xbox and phil spencer are safe

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Hellblade was a really good experience, great graphics and story but my god the gameplay and combat was terrible. I really hope they improve next time round.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Some people love the game but then suddenly forget the ending lol.
Also let NT do what they do. They delivered the first game with much care and thought. If they didnt think they had a good sequel idea they wouldnt have done it. Just trust the team instead of worry for the next years or so.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried for the sake of being worried even though they haven't showed enough for me to get worried about.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Can someone post the "secret ending"? It sounds like a lot of people did not see it, and if that changes things, maybe it would be good to put it out there so people can see for themselves? I've looked, but it isn't clear to me what extra scene this is.

As someone who didn't see the "secret ending", but loved the game and it's discourse around living with mental illness, I don't think it's "concern trolling" to be worried about a sequel.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Please explain the cliffhanger at the end except for the that text that is placed there. I finished the game.
Didn't she pretty much accept Dillions death?
The sequel has to revolve around something else.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Please explain the cliffhanger at the end except for the that text that is placed there. I finished the game.
Didn't she pretty much accept Dillions death?
The sequel has to revolve around something else.
Secret ending

There's also a secret ending to Hellblade, or rather an extra scene you can get. The extra scene features Druth and is unlocked at the final portal if you've found all the lorestones in the world. Druth reveals that he was lying to Senua throughout the story. He reveals that he tried to broker peace between his people and the northmen after they took him as a slave but instead, after being tortured, he led the northmen right to them.

But there's another part to it — he also reveals that her own people were betrayed by one of their own. He describes 'a man in black' who sounds suspiciously like Senua's own druid father. "It is not the Gods who cause so much suffering," he concludes, "it is those close to us."

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I felt like the portrayal of Senua's psyche was really well done, and fantastic without fantasizing Senua's mental issue. The trailer felt way more bombastic and kind of fetishizing her trouble which felt weird. I hope I'm wrong though. It's just my feeling and I'm not accusing them of anything. For the moment I just blame the marketing department.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how someone can draw such a conclusion from a video with chanting. If anything it had the Hellblade feel.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Secret ending

There's also a secret ending to Hellblade, or rather an extra scene you can get. The extra scene features Druth and is unlocked at the final portal if you've found all the lorestones in the world. Druth reveals that he was lying to Senua throughout the story. He reveals that he tried to broker peace between his people and the northmen after they took him as a slave but instead, after being tortured, he led the northmen right to them.

But there's another part to it — he also reveals that her own people were betrayed by one of their own. He describes 'a man in black' who sounds suspiciously like Senua's own druid father. "It is not the Gods who cause so much suffering," he concludes, "it is those close to us."
Oh shit did not research the endings for this one. Well, Hellblade 2 it is.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its funny. That people are worried MS was gonna "control" their new studios and push things they should make.
But now we have people saying they shouldnt do a sequel. Quite the irony

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny. That people are worried MS was gonna "control" their new studios and push things they should make.
But now we have people saying they shouldnt do a sequel. Quite the irony

MS shouldn't be overbearing over their studios, but that doesn't automatically mean their studios' independent decision making is infallible.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
Secret ending

I see. But the most important aspects of her journey, the acceptance of her mental condition and Dillion's death is left untouched? If that's the case, I think OP's concern is legit. A game about revenge (?) could drastically change the concept of the first game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
first game resonated with me a lot despite not being diagnosed with a mental illness myself, so i had the same "err..." feeling watching the trailer.

but with the 'Hellblade' surtitle they obvs intended to do more with it from the get go. so i dunno, i'm not too up in arms about it, will see where it goes

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Feels far easier to simply trust the team that made the first game with such care. They aren't idiots.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
On Era? Nah it's pretty blatantly a bunch of Sony fanboys getting all "concerned" about a game that was in development before MS bought NT, and are now trying to whip up some hysterics. We've already had multiple threads about the same exact 3 topics.

The fact that supposed Senua "fans" don't even remember how the game ends with a blatant sequel tease says a lot about their "love" of the game

Pure facts.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let me reassure you a bit...

So, I should be excited and happy with a Hellblade 2 announcement. Well, yes and no. I'm kinda worried to be honest. For multiple reasons. The first one is that, for me, the story of Senua was finished in the first game. I mean, the ending is pretty definitive. Senua overcome her mental illness and accept Dillion's death. There is no cliffhanger, no part of her past or character that is not explained or or is left in the dark. I kinda assumed that she will live a sort of "normal life" after that. I'm really curious to know what reason(s) they gonna use to justify another journey with Senua.
I know what you mean, but Senua didn't so much "overcome" her mental illness but rather learned to live with it and accept it as part of her. She still has the voices, sees the patterns, has the effects of being very "different" but no longer loathes herself as her father made her feel.

But the game outright ends on a statement that there "are more stories to tell" about Senua and her journey, and that accepting Dillion's death is not the end but the START of something much better.

The other thing that I'm worried about is the possible change of tone of the game. The first game was very linear, almost claustrophobic at times, and very oppresive. And it was kind of intimate too. The trailer for Hellblade 2 shows very open landscapes and the "Saga" in the title let me think the scope of the game is going to be bigger. When I see this big creature at the end, it kinda give me the impression that it's the "God of War" of the Xbox, an epic action game, rather than a follow up to the strange game (in a positive way) that was Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice.
Remember the original? It had moments JUST like the trailer.
sddefault.jpg

607585346.png

So I imagine that we'll see more of these figures play into the narrative of the next game (though in what capacity remains to be seen).

I mean, I don't want an action game where Senua is a strong Warrior that decimate big, impressive monsters. I would prefer a continuation of the first, on the subject of the mental illness and the struggle that it is.
Certainly, but if I were to show you combat of the first game - without the narrative context - you'd think it was God of War, right?
GlaringBackGoldfish-small.gif

I know that for now we don't really know anything about this game except this first trailer, but I can't stop thinking that maybe the game wants to be more than the first game, maybe have a broader appeal. I guess I just don't want to lose what makes the first game so special to me. But maybe I'm worried too much, after all Ninja Theory has made one of my favorite game ever with the first so I should trust them with the sequel. Even if I am worried, I'm still very excited this game was announced and It could made me buy a Xbox Series X just to play it.

Thanks for taking the time to reading me and sorry if I made some mistakes as english is not my first language.
I would trust them with the sequel, and if you need more reassurance, look at how much care and work they documented behind-the-scenes of making the original game. They have a nearly 25-part documentary on how much anxiety and concern they had for respecting the themes of the original game that are a joy to watch unfold.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I see. But the most important aspects of her journey, the acceptance of her mental condition and Dillion's death is left untouched? If that's the case, I think OP's concern is legit. A game about revenge (?) could drastically change the concept of the first game.
Wouldnt say its revenge. But she being the "queen" if her people and trying to lead them combined with mental illness can be a interesting concept. Remember she didnt overcome the mental illness.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me reassure you a bit...

I know what you mean, but Senua didn't so much "overcome" her mental illness but rather learned to live with it and accept it as part of her. She still has the voices, sees the patterns, has the effects of being very "different" but no longer loathes herself as her father made her feel.

But the game outright ends on a statement that there "are more stories to tell" about Senua and her journey, and that accepting Dillion's death is not the end but the START of something much better.

Remember the original? It had moments JUST like the trailer.
sddefault.jpg

607585346.png

So I imagine that we'll see more of these figures play into the narrative of the next game (though in what capacity remains to be seen).

Certainly, but if I were to show you combat of the first game - without the narrative context - you'd think it was God of War, right?
GlaringBackGoldfish-small.gif

I would trust them with the sequel, and if you need more reassurance, look at how much care and work they documented behind-the-scenes of making the original game. They have a nearly 25-part documentary on how much anxiety and concern they had for respecting the themes of the original game that are a joy to watch unfold.

While you're not responding to me, I appreciate your effort to participate in a dialogue over resorting to some sort of console war persecution complex.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Derailing, hostility, platform warring
While you're not responding to me, I appreciate your effort to participate in a dialogue over resorting to some sort of console war persecution complex.
SMH at the obvious, most blatant concern trolling over a sequel to a game made by the same people of the original instead of trusting them to a game we know nothing about.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you stay the beast eats, if you run the beast catches...

There is no pleasing the ERA mob

Just because MS isn't mandating what a studio makes doesn't make that studio immune to criticism. Which, "criticism" is a really strong word in this case. More just being uncertain. This isn't a difficult concept.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Okay well Hellblade is my GOTY and if it sates your console warz suspicion, Xbox is far and away my platform of choice. I've posted a ton in the XGS OTs and I've expressed concern over a potential sequel in the past prior to the announcement.

Not everything is console warz, your xbox and phil spencer are safe

Brother what argument and with who are you having it with?

What he said was proved by a post in this thread alone and the fact that every MS based topic is full of "concern".

There is nothing wrong about calling this shit out but you're taking some weird ass stance here acting like everyone else is dumb and reaching. Everyone but you is incorrect here? Stop the shit.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My larger worry is the gameplay tbh. The actual combat got pretty tiresome for me and I was more or less pushing through it just to see the story. And on top of that there were some frustrating sections like traversing the dark to find the light with really annoying enemies that insta kill you.

It was worth it for the story, but I hope the next one is a lot more enjoyable to actually play.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt say its revenge. But she being the "queen" if her people and trying to lead them combined with mental illness can be a interesting concept. Remember she didnt overcome the mental illness.
Well, I'm all for the sequel, just saying that I understand where OP is coming from. Actually, I felt like the first game could have more world depth and I wanted to see Senua interacting with other people other than the voices and Druth. So, I think I'll enjoy the sequel, if MS decides to launch it for PC again.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMH at the obvious, most blatant concern trolling over a sequel to a game made by the same people of the original instead of trusting them to a game we know nothing about.

Bro, please pull your head out. What do i have to do to prove my xbox gamer cred and allegiance to uncle phil for you to understand it's okay for people that are fans of things to be skeptical of those same things

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bro, please pull your head out. What do i have to do to prove my xbox gamer cred and allegiance to uncle spencer for you to understand it's okay for people that are fans of things to be skeptical of those same things
It's in context with everything else. It wasn't you specifically I was addressing, but let's not be blind at the bias either. I typically don't say shit, but enough is enough. LOL

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Bro, please pull your head out. What do i have to do to prove my xbox gamer cred and allegiance to uncle phil for you to understand it's okay for people that are fans of things to be skeptical of those same things

Who the hell said YOU weren't an Xbox gamer and fan of the series who had concerns?

Newsflash, you aren't them and they aren't you but common sense and logic ain't hard guy. Everyone is calling out the concern trolling while you're sitting here acting like we're imagining shit.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's in context with everything else. It wasn't you specifically I was addressing, but let's not be blind at the bias either. I typically don't say shit, but enough is enough. LOL

I don't see how you're not specifically addressing me when you're responding directly to me.

A single post of "Yeah seems like Microsoft's fault" has suddenly invalidated everyone's concern. Instead of calling out that specific person, people here are just jumping to the conclusion that everyone must be a playstation fanboy. It's absurdly stupid.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell said YOU weren't an Xbox gamer and fan of the series who had concerns?

Newsflash, you aren't them and they aren't you but common sense and logic ain't hard guy. Everyone is calling out the concern trolling while you're sitting here acting like we're imagining shit.

Because outside of a single post in what is right now a 2 page thread, you are straight up imagining shit.

This. I really respected what Hellblade did but franchising it and the general tone of the trailer isn't what I want.
I totally understand and I feel similarly. I feel like Senua's arc is done with that ending and to put her back into epic danger could sorta take away from the first. It's how I felt about TLOU2 but the more I see of that the more I'm happy it exists so I hope this is the same.
The first is the first ever game I've completed from start to finish in a single sitting. It's such an engaging and powerful experience focused on a very specific thing it's trying to get across.

I certainly hope they don't lose some of the claustrophobic and intimate nature of the game for a focus on more action. Hopefully as we see more of the game we get a greater understanding of what changes there are and what sort of story they felt was worth exploring when the narrative was so definitively closed.
This. These are the two games I never wanted sequels to after I finished them. Not because I didn't want more but because the way they ended was so profound and so memorable that I felt sequels would almost certainly take away from take away from the first games. However I don't think you can help but be excited to see a continuation to something you love, so it's a weird mixed feeling.
I totally get what you're saying as I've felt this way with films and other games. I'm interested in seeing how they swing this as well.
I had the same thought OP. That said, Ninja Theory showed a respect to the subject matter of mental illness and if they can continue that philosophy, then the sequel will turn out just fine.
In the exact same boat. Said as much in the thread about it.

They did handle things well in the first game. Just hope they can do so here too. Time will tell.

Vs the one post that complained about Microsoft.

How are these concern trolling? For these people, the OP, and myself, the thought legitimately crossed the mind. Like sorry some people aren't as excited or as confident as you.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
The original was a "one and done" deal for me, even though the game did set up a sequel.

It wrapped up everything I felt it needed to for Senua and a sequel just doesn't interest me at all.

Hope it turns out great for NT and the people that are into it though.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how you're not specifically addressing me when you're responding directly to me.

A single post of "Yeah seems like Microsoft's fault" has suddenly invalidated everyone's concern. Instead of calling out that specific person, people here are just jumping to the conclusion that everyone must be a playstation fanboy. It's absurdly stupid.
You responded to me. Stay worried and concerned.