• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
I wanted to make this thread since the announcement of Hellblade 2: Senua's Saga. The first Hellblade was a special game to me. I really really loved it. This was, in a big part, because I'm suffering from mental illness myself. So, the fact that the main character, Senua, was suffering from mental illness allowed me to identify to her, in a certain way, and to greatly growing attached to her. In most game I can play a character and enjoy his/her personnality, story, etc... even if he's/she's nothing like me, but in Senua's Sacrifice, for the first time I had something in common, something that is a really big part of me, and that created a sort of strong bond between me and the main character, something that I never really experienced in any other games. And so, seeing her fight her mental illness, endure all this hard times was really inspirationnal. I don't know how to explain it precisely, but this game make me feel good once I finished it, it really boosted my moral.
So, I should be excited and happy with a Hellblade 2 announcement. Well, yes and no. I'm kinda worried to be honest. For multiple reasons. The first one is that, for me, the story of Senua was finished in the first game. I mean, the ending is pretty definitive. Senua overcome her mental illness and accept Dillion's death. There is no cliffhanger, no part of her past or character that is not explained or or is left in the dark. I kinda assumed that she will live a sort of "normal life" after that. I'm really curious to know what reason(s) they gonna use to justify another journey with Senua.
The other thing that I'm worried about is the possible change of tone of the game. The first game was very linear, almost claustrophobic at times, and very oppresive. And it was kind of intimate too. The trailer for Hellblade 2 shows very open landscapes and the "Saga" in the title let me think the scope of the game is going to be bigger. When I see this big creature at the end, it kinda give me the impression that it's the "God of War" of the Xbox, an epic action game, rather than a follow up to the strange game (in a positive way) that was Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. I mean, I don't want an action game where Senua is a strong Warrior that decimate big, impressive monsters. I would prefer a continuation of the first, on the subject of the mental illness and the struggle that it is.
I know that for now we don't really know anything about this game except this first trailer, but I can't stop thinking that maybe the game wants to be more than the first game, maybe have a broader appeal. I guess I just don't want to lose what makes the first game so special to me. But maybe I'm worried too much, after all Ninja Theory has made one of my favorite game ever with the first so I should trust them with the sequel. Even if I am worried, I'm still very excited this game was announced and It could made me buy a Xbox Series X just to play it.

Thanks for taking the time to reading me and sorry if I made some mistakes as english is not my first language.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
This. I really respected what Hellblade did but franchising it and the general tone of the trailer isn't what I want.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I totally understand and I feel similarly. I feel like Senua's arc is done with that ending and to put her back into epic danger could sorta take away from the first. It's how I felt about TLOU2 but the more I see of that the more I'm happy it exists so I hope this is the same.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The first is the first ever game I've completed from start to finish in a single sitting. It's such an engaging and powerful experience focused on a very specific thing it's trying to get across.

I certainly hope they don't lose some of the claustrophobic and intimate nature of the game for a focus on more action. Hopefully as we see more of the game we get a greater understanding of what changes there are and what sort of story they felt was worth exploring when the narrative was so definitively closed.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am worried it will feel cheapened in comparison to the original - The original is intimate, isolating, and intense, with a stellar unique main hook and presentation. The trailer for the sequel maintains a sort of intensity, but it's not quite the same, given the presence of other actual human people. I worry that Hellblade 2 will be devolved into a pulpy action franchise - The puzzles and combat always served the narrative first, and I don't want that to be taken away in a quest for something more high octane or "video-gamey". I just don't know how you add on to the storytelling methods of the first without ruining it or just being redundant. I love Hellblade and it's my favorite game I played this year after it hit game pass, but I never ever wanted a sequel from it.

It would fucking suck to see Senua in like Killer Instinct, for example.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Y'all clearly didn't see the secret ending, which very much leaves the door open for a sequel.

Jul 10, 2018
I totally understand and I feel similarly. I feel like Senua's arc is done with that ending and to put her back into epic danger could sorta take away from the first. It's how I felt about TLOU2 but the more I see of that the more I'm happy it exists so I hope this is the same.

This. These are the two games I never wanted sequels to after I finished them. Not because I didn't want more but because the way they ended was so profound and so memorable that I felt sequels would almost certainly take away from take away from the first games. However I don't think you can help but be excited to see a continuation to something you love, so it's a weird mixed feeling.

Apoplectoad

Mar 15, 2019
Y'all clearly didn't see the secret ending, which very much leaves the door open for a sequel.
Yeah, it really seems like people kind of ignore that whole thing. The sequel hook was planned from the beginning, so I'm not worried. I really want to see more of that world, especially the druid stuff.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get what you're saying as I've felt this way with films and other games. I'm interested in seeing how they swing this as well.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all. Senua is a warrior. Of course she has more to do after the end of the first game. How about take on The Northmen for starters? Use your imagination peeps.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
oh ye of little faith. this is a game that the team went immediately onto after wrapping up the first, i'm sure they have some ideas of how to continue it and it'll be fine.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Trailer is definitely something. Looks great. As I play Senua's Sacrifice, I did not feel this was a continuation of that game's ethos much like you, OP.

To be fair, I have thought it is possible the mumblings and ramblings were representative of the different voices you hear.

It may broaden the appeal of the game to go bigger, but I never thought being big and grandiose was the point first time around.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
User Banned (3 Days): Platform warring
Being part of Microsoft now and no longer the esteemed "AA" project that it was before, I definitely got that usual corporate "they focus tested it" feel.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The last line of the first game is literally "follow us, we have another story to tell".

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They mean that there's probably far less that has to do with MS meddling than people think

Nobody was saying that th-

Being part of Microsoft now and no longer the esteemed "AA" project that it was before, I definitely got that usual corporate "they focus tested it" feel.

Oh. Any failings would be on Ninja Theory. They have full control over their projects. We've known this for over a year now.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them discarding the lessons they internalized from the first title in moving onto the second. Will they broaden the gameplay? Most assuredly. Will the levels be larger, with more to do and see? Absolutely. But none of those things should have an effect on the character, the presentation of that character, and the world she's in. If anything extra money behind the title will just guarantee that the rest of the game is brought up to the standard of the narrative. There's some danger in losing focus of the core narrative because of these things, but Ninja Theory is a pretty one-track mind dev, and so long as they are focused on Senua all will be well.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I feel different. The Insight Project they're doing really makes me believe that they really understand the identity they want to carve for themselves and that the support they'll get from Microsoft will only help with that. The trailer was like that because they have to hype up a new console and Ninja Theory's visual storytelling helps with that.

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
User banned (2 weeks): Hostility, platform wars, driving thread derail over multiple posts + history of infractions for hostile platform warring
So much concern over nothing smh

The game left the door open for sequels as it seems it was always meant for more and I can't wait to jump back into that world on my Xbox Series X when it releases. : )

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
User banned (3 days): backseat moderation, platform warring and derailing over a series of posts
Mods really need to start closing these concern trolling threads.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to make this thread since the announcement of Hellblade 2: Senua's Saga. The first Hellblade was a special game to me. I really really loved it. This was, in a big part, because I'm suffering from mental illness myself. So, the fact that the main character, Senua, was suffering from mental illness allowed me to identify to her, in a certain way, and to greatly growing attached to her. In most game I can play a character and enjoy his/her personnality, story, etc... even if he's/she's nothing like me, but in Senua's Sacrifice, for the first time I had something in common, something that is a really big part of me, and that created a sort of strong bond between me and the main character, something that I never really experienced in any other games. And so, seeing her fight her mental illness, endure all this hard times was really inspirationnal. I don't know how to explain it precisely, but this game make me feel good once I finished it, it really boosted my moral.
So, I should be excited and happy with a Hellblade 2 announcement. Well, yes and no. I'm kinda worried to be honest. For multiple reasons. The first one is that, for me, the story of Senua was finished in the first game. I mean, the ending is pretty definitive. Senua overcome her mental illness and accept Dillion's death. There is no cliffhanger, no part of her past or character that is not explained or or is left in the dark. I kinda assumed that she will live a sort of "normal life" after that. I'm really curious to know what reason(s) they gonna use to justify another journey with Senua.
The other thing that I'm worried about is the possible change of tone of the game. The first game was very linear, almost claustrophobic at times, and very oppresive. And it was kind of intimate too. The trailer for Hellblade 2 shows very open landscapes and the "Saga" in the title let me think the scope of the game is going to be bigger. When I see this big creature at the end, it kinda give me the impression that it's the "God of War" of the Xbox, an epic action game, rather than a follow up to the strange game (in a positive way) that was Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. I mean, I don't want an action game where Senua is a strong Warrior that decimate big, impressive monsters. I would prefer a continuation of the first, on the subject of the mental illness and the struggle that it is.
I know that for now we don't really know anything about this game except this first trailer, but I can't stop thinking that maybe the game wants to be more than the first game, maybe have a broader appeal. I guess I just don't want to lose what makes the first game so special to me. But maybe I'm worried too much, after all Ninja Theory has made one of my favorite game ever with the first so I should trust them with the sequel. Even if I am worried, I'm still very excited this game was announced and It could made me buy a Xbox Series X just to play it.

Thanks for taking the time to reading me and sorry if I made some mistakes as english is not my first language.
First of all, don't worry about your English. I'm not a native speaker either, and I think the biggest thing for us is to avoid comparing ourselves to others.

Secondly, the game was already in development before Microsoft bought Ninja Theory. And, if you've seen recent news, they've been making some big investments towards exploring mental illness in games more.

As someone who also deals with a similar problem, I'm not worried. Considering they've started development right after the first, and the investments they're doing, I think we can trust them to handle it with care.

Feb 21, 2019
I had the same thought OP. That said, Ninja Theory showed a respect to the subject matter of mental illness and if they can continue that philosophy, then the sequel will turn out just fine.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Has your brain ever considered that you can be concerned without concern trolling
On Era? Nah it's pretty blatantly a bunch of Sony fanboys getting all "concerned" about a game that was in development before MS bought NT, and are now trying to whip up some hysterics. We've already had multiple threads about the same exact 3 topics.

The fact that supposed Senua "fans" don't even remember how the game ends with a blatant sequel tease says a lot about their "love" of the game

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I had the same thought OP. That said, Ninja Theory showed a respect to the subject matter of mental illness and if they can continue that philosophy, then the sequel will turn out just fine.

In the exact same boat. Said as much in the thread about it.

They did handle things well in the first game. Just hope they can do so here too. Time will tell.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019

So, there is a bit in Senua's story that still remains:
Senua's father, who acts as the "Darkness" in her mind in the game (as they share the same voice), sold out their village to the Northmen for his own safety, then left to the Northmen's realm. Given that this is the cause of Dillion's death and much of her own mental anguish, it makes sense for her to get revenge on him.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has your brain ever considered that you can be concerned without concern trolling
Not here, no. Based on what everyone's saying about this game being in development pre-acquisition and the original game apparently having set up for a sequel it seems as though MS is the only reason anyone is concerned, especially since all we have to go on is a (pretty damn cool) tone trailer.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be a novel idea, but how about waiting to see the actual product before deciding whether it's a cheap cash-in of a sequel or a worthy continuation?