• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
746a1f5a0d7a2ff75fe526d397ae171c814505fd04d3765687cbec4a486690eb_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

0HuwO6B.jpg

Yeah Gothic and Witcher are not the best example of great gameplay but in the rest they are so spot on. I need another RPG that give you the same feeling and immersion like these two franchises.

NOTE:
I already played Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Dragon's Dogma. KC was very meh and DD gameplay was amazing. But storywise is very generic.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'd strongly recommend checking out Outward, which just came out. It has a lot of the same spirit as Gothic, and I really enjoyed it.

EDIT: And 100% yes Risen 1 is very much in line with Gothic 1 and 2 and highly recommended.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are all good games, some lighter gameplay vise but still fun games, all of them. But Divinity: Original Sin saga is really some of the best Fantasy RPG genre has to offer. Love the gameplay and stories. Dam good series. Admitedly Divinity might not give you the immersion of games mentioned in OP.

EDIT: BTW Two Worlds II wasn't half bad either, liked it more then Gothic.

Last edited:

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Risen is the best iteration of the Gothic "idea", though I still have a sweet spot for Gothic 2.

You should try Elex which was made by some of the same developers but has a mix of medieval fantasy and science-fiction as its setting.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Piranha Bytes themselves forgot what made Gothic great, so - good luck.

Elex is nice and all but it just aint the same.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Enderal is a Skyrim Mod (free on Steam if you own Oldrim) which basically falls right into the realm of "not the best example of great gameplay but in the rest they are so spot on."

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Risen is the best iteration of the Gothic "idea", though I still have a sweet spot for Gothic 2.

You should try Elex which was made by some of the same developers but has a mix of medieval fantasy and science-fiction as its setting.

Risen and Elex. Euro at its jankiest.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Two Worlds Two. It's been awhile, but I remember it as a fun mess.

Also, that game that was supposed to a be an MMO but ended up as a single player game after it ripped off the state of Rhode Island lol. Forgot the name.

Also the Dragon Age games too.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Maybe for his time yeah. But is very dated though.

Dude. The way you interact with the entirety of its systems - thats gameplay. The way the factions work, the quests, the way you level up, the way the world opens up around you, the dialogue trees, the options in how you complete quests - these are all sides that make up the gameplay. What did you think gameplay means? And if the gameplay is bad, but everything else is good, what everything else if you remove all that i just pointed here?

A lot of people reduce gameplay to just swinging the sword in witcher 3, so maybe you did the same ? The way Gothic plays is indeed unusual compared to today. But nothing you wont get used to in 10 minutes. Im not calling it dated. That would imply the present is better. When it is not, Gothic 2 mops the floor with everything in the genre. Lets just say its different then

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I totally forgot this one. Forget everything and go get Divinity II Ego Draconis.

You're welcome.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, you know what? Buy Elex instead.

I like the Risen games but Elex is easily the best thing they've done since Gothic.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe Two Worlds Two. It's been awhile, but I remember it as a fun mess.

Also, that game that was supposed to a be an MMO but ended up as a single player game after it ripped off the state of Rhode Island lol. Forgot the name.

Also the Dragon Age games too.
Two Worlds II is awesome. Really bad character models and lots of bad dialog... BUT It has tons of loot that it's actually fun to loot, and the world is big and most of all it has variety. It's actually fun to explore the world. Not to mention the magic system is interesting, even by todays standards.

Oct 27, 2017
Two Worlds II. Honestly one of my favorite RPGs from last gen. And they're still updating the PC version. Hoping it goes BC on XB1 soon.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
My friend, let me introduce you to the Risen series:

Never played Risen 2. I saw my friend play it and all I remember was that you could be voodoo guy and posses people. That was actually interesting but beyond that I don't recall much of it. First Risen was also good game but I admit that my affinity towards it might be nostalgia from my part, so can't really recommend that.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Risen 2. I saw my friend play it and all I remember was that you could be voodoo guy and posses people. That was actually interesting but beyond that I don't recall much of it. First Risen was also good game but I admit that my affinity towards it might be nostalgia from my part, so can't really recommend that.
Risen 2 is more janky but they go all in on turning it into a pirate themed RPG which is great.

Never did play Risen 3 tho. Elex came out around the time I was going to start it and that ended up just absorbing all of my time.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Gothic 2, assuming you aren't including that in "Gothic".

Also, Gothic has good gameplay.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
Well, seeing that you're not put off by older games such as Gothic, how about Cyanide's Game of Thrones RPG?

It's far from flawless: it came out in the PS3 / Xbox 360 era but could often pass for something from the previous generation, the combat system's not the best and the plot has the slowest of slow burns - but once the two main strands of the plot start to interweave, it becomes a really good story.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Dragon Age Inquisition. Similar to DD gameplay-wise, but I found the story more engaging. It also has more varied environments and is frequently super cheap available on sale (I suggest to go with the Deluxe with all DLC).

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd strongly recommend checking out Outward, which just came out. It has a lot of the same spirit as Gothic, and I really enjoyed it.

EDIT: And 100% yes Risen 1 is very much in line with Gothic 1 and 2 and highly recommended.
This is what I came to recommend. I haven't played it, but everything I've seen and read screams it'd be up their alley.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I had a great time with Two Worlds 2 on PC.. yeah, I know that they don't have a good reputation but TW2 was really a good game - it has if not the best, then atleast one of the best magic systems in any RPG games I have ever played, main story is nothing really special but the writing in quests and dialogs has unique style that I liked compared to the bland writing in Dragon's Dogma or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, monster and environmental variety is fantastic (it has monkeys who throw shit at you! :D - it has environments inspired by medieval Europe, Africa, Middle East, China, etc.), graphics are pretty good for a AA RPG title from a small studio released in 2010, menus are big and ugly but there are mods for that, OST is great, etc..
I too love all the Witcher games and Gothic I+II, so I didn't had a major problem with the combat even of course it's really nothing special - the same is true for animations..

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I've played everything mentioned in this thread except Outward. It's on my radar, but the lack of fast travel and perma-penalties worries me. I don't have time anymore for artificial time wasters and i don't want a running simulator where I spend most of my time pressing "W". I don't mind spending time exploring or tough fights, but I also need reasonable shortcuts. Not sure if Outward will do that.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017

Have you completed Kingdom Come: Deliverence, or did you drop it early? If it's the latter I highly recommend giving it a second chance.

To everyone suggesting Outward: OP's examples are strongly story-driven games, while Outward is an exploration game without, shall we say, emphasis on the story. So I doubt that it's what s/he wants.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Play Risen (the first one, skip the sequels), you'll LOVE IT.

Also Divinity 2 Dev Cut, when Larian was known to make 3D RPGs like that.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've played everything mentioned in this thread except Outward. It's on my radar, but the lack of fast travel and perma-penalties worries me. I don't have time anymore for artificial time wasters and i don't want a running simulator where I spend most of my time pressing "W". I don't mind spending time exploring or tough fights, but I also need reasonable shortcuts. Not sure if Outward will do that.
What do you mean by perma-penalties?
As for lack of fast travel, well, that's part of the appeal for people who like the game and what it's trying to do. There are shortcuts in the game, but you will definitely spend a fair bit of time traveling. With that said, if you *really* need fast travel, there is a debug console the devs left in the game that will allow you to teleport wherever you want (on PC).

Punpun

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
There's nothing comparable to the greatness of Gothic 1 and 2. Risen 1 is very similar at first but it just can't come close to those two masterpieces.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Well, seeing that you're not put off by older games such as Gothic, how about Cyanide's Game of Thrones RPG?

It's far from flawless: it came out in the PS3 / Xbox 360 era but could often pass for something from the previous generation, the combat system's not the best and the plot has the slowest of slow burns - but once the two main strands of the plot start to interweave, it becomes a really good story.

Boy, that story made my jaw literally drop. I rarely see such twists (and the build-up) in games. What a game. I was fucking speechless. This is so much GoT title worthy.

As others have said: Risen series, especially the first one -- it's basically like a G1 remake. Also Elex.

I heavily recommend Enderal. It's like Gothic meets Morrowind.

It's hard to find other open world masterpieces that focus on storytelling like Gothic does. There are many janky RPGs like Technomancer, Mars: War Logs, Bound by Flame, but no one nails the open world formula like Gothic, Risen 1, and Elex.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Divinity 2 was mentioned, big yes to that.

Severance blade of darkness - is definitely a must if you like gothic combat.

images
srebel_l2.jpg

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Gothic Trilogy? Did you forget Gothic 4 Arcania? It looks a lot better than the other 3, you should try it.

Im joking, don't touch it pls.
I Can reccomend both Risen 1 and Elex though.
There are also tons of Gothic Mods you can try, although i don't know if they translated them.