• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you eat pizza crust?

• No. Pizza crust is garbage.

Votes: 55 5.1%
  • Yes. I do not waste food.

Votes: 610 56.1%
  • Depend on the pizza.

Votes: 284 26.1%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 139 12.8%

• Total voters

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
The whole moral superiority about food waste is always amusing to me when you have the same people spending ridiculous sums of money on materialistic non-essential 1st world products like video games, electronics etc.

Sitting atop that high horse is a delicate balancing act.
I am not allowed to be critical of food waste because I own a Nintendo?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I don't loathe people who do this, but I do feel sorry for them.

If you're actually worried about the calories, don't eat pizza.

That is not goo advice. If you like any unhealthy food, eat it in moderation. Always be aware of calories too because one cheat meal can turn into a mini binge

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Food waste is really shitty and immoral. I wish more people realized this and took steps to get the most out of every food product.
I don't really care about whatever preference people have, but if you're just throwing it out, that's wasteful as hell. Food waste is easily one of the worst things in this world.
Love it when people don't acknowledge their privilege.

I do everything in my power to minimize food waste. Bread getting stale = croutons and breadcrumbs, vegetable peels and cut offs = freeze in a plastic bag until I have enough for stock (same goes for bones). Got most of the meat off the chicken = use the rest of the carcass for soup. Some people are just completely ignorant about how privileged they are to live in a society with such an abundance of food and to have the means to waste so much of it.
The food waste argument is, in most cases, ridiculous. You don't select the *exact* size of the pizza, it comes as it comes. Unless you literally count the calories that you get from eating the crust, and then eat other food (that you don't get in a pre-determined size) less the equal amount in calories, it doesn't apply. If you're one of the extremely rare people who literally do that, that's awesome! But let's face it, practically nobody does it.

As for the privilege, everyone living in the western countries is privileged as fuck compared to so many people in the world. Not eating pizza crust, because you don't like it, or because you got full already, will hardly sign your privilege. Jesus.

n00bs7ay3r, I can bet there are tons of people who are way less privileged than you, but choose not to eat the crust, because when they can afford to order pizza, they just want to get the taste and they get full without eating the crust. It might even be that the pizza is a fucking luxury to them, and when they can afford that luxury, they just want to have the good part and couldn't give a fuck about the part they find boring as fuck. In a way, ironically it's sort of privileged to be able to have the time and energy to worry about pizza crusts.

Food waste is a huge problem, but you should apply it primarily when people can select the exact amount of food people can have before getting full.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
We usually order pizza at work a couple of times per month, and some people eat tons and tons of slices, but they don't eat the crust/edges. Too much food waste, and kinda sad to see grown ups throwing away all that perfectly edible food into the trash.

And what's worse is that those same persons don't have problems eating bread sticks.

Sure, sometimes the crust is kinda dry and flavorless (specially from chain restaurants), but you can always dip the crust with some sauce or something.

Seriously, Era. Do not waste food like that or I will slap you in the face.

Rant over.

Please do that.

Please start a fight over someone not eating pizza crusts, and post results of that with video footage.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
The food waste argument is, in most cases, ridiculous. You don't select the *exact* size of the pizza, it comes as it comes. Unless you literally count the calories that you get from eating the crust, and then eat other food (that you don't get in a pre-determined size) less the equal amount in calories, it doesn't apply. If you're one of the extremely rare people who literally do that, that's awesome! But let's face it, practically nobody does it.

As for the privilege, everyone living in the western countries is privileged as fuck compared to so many people in the world. Not eating pizza crust, because you don't like it, or because you got full already, will hardly sign your privilege. Jesus.

n00bs7ay3r, I can bet there are tons of people who are way less privileged than you, but choose not to eat the crust, because when they can afford to order pizza, they just want to get the taste and they get full without eating the crust. It might even be that the pizza is a fucking luxury to them, and when they can afford that luxury, they just want to have the good part and couldn't give a fuck about the part they find boring as fuck. In a way, ironically it's sort of privileged to be able to have the time and energy to worry about pizza crusts.

Food waste is a huge problem, but you should apply it primarily when people can select the exact amount of food people can have before getting full.

You are right that huge waste is a huge problem and it should be something that is on everybody's mind every time they consume food. Food consumption is something that literally every single human being engages with multiple times a day and how we choose to consume food has a massive impact on the environment and the economy. Throwing away edible food that you chose to buy is unethical. Having the ability to throw away food at all is definitely a sign of privilege.

And yes I fully acknowlege that my knowledge about this problem and my ability to think about it, engage with it, and make decisions to reduce my impact and encourage others to do the same are a result of my privilege.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
depends on if i'm hungru enough, i don't dislike it, but if i have limited space, i prefer the reest of the pizza

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Pizza Hut's Thin Crust is the only kind I won't eat. It's like just eating crackers and for some reason, I don't care for that.

Any other kind, and I'm fine though. Stuffed Crust, of course, I paid for that shit! But if it's just "normal crust", then I'll eat it from any other chain. Just not that thin crust.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
You should eat the pizza bones when possible.

If it's a shitty Little Caesar's pizza though, I can understand just throwing them away.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
You are right that huge waste is a huge problem and it should be something that is on everybody's mind every time they consume food. Food consumption is something that literally every single human being engages with multiple times a day and how we choose to consume food has a massive impact on the environment and the economy. Throwing away edible food that you chose to buy is unethical. Having the ability to throw away food at all is definitely a sign of privilege.

And yes I fully acknowlege that my knowledge about this problem and my ability to think about it, engage with it, and make decisions to reduce my impact and encourage others to do the same are a result of my privilege.
Like yeah sure, in principle I agree with you. It'd be awesome if people ate all the food they get (without overeating). But the reality is, people especially in western countries do all kind of shit every day that's way, way worse. It's fine (and good) to critique even the smaller things, but there's a line between critique and directly moralizing people with a holier-than-thou attitude. The latter one I don't think is sensible in this case.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Any crust not worth eating is a bad pizza, and have to go outta your way to make bad pizza.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
good dough makes good crust

good dough comes from good pizza places

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. If the crust is good and soft, I'll bother. Not fucking up the roof of my mouth over some shitty crust.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
If I'm eating a specific brand of frozen pizza (that by coincidence I just had a few hours ago), by the end of the consumption the crust is generally pretty thick and cold, so I don't eat it.
(dipping it in some sauce is a good idea though, I would like to try it)

I also try to avoid eating charred crust, when it comes up.

But when I'm eating decent pizza, I'll eat the crust 99% of the time, because it's actually good.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the camp that thinks the crust should be good enough to eat on its own, so this isn't a problem.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
They're perfectly fine to eat, so throwing them away is wasting food. My family doesn't do that.

Likewise the ends of a loaf of bread.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
If the crust isn't too big I'll eat it! But in cases where theres waaaay more of it left than pizza left then I just can't do it, that'd be way too unsatisfying an end to a delicious pizza meal!

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this place is now equating not eating the crust on pizza as a crime against humanity.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was a joke thread. I'm 32 yo, pizza is very popular in my country (Russia) as well and this is honestly the first time in my life I hear that people who don't eat pizza crust exist. Wow.

Sep 12, 2018
We usually order pizza at work a couple of times per month, and some people eat tons and tons of slices, but they don't eat the crust/edges. Too much food waste, and kinda sad to see grown ups throwing away all that perfectly edible food into the trash.

And what's worse is that those same persons don't have problems eating bread sticks.

Sure, sometimes the crust is kinda dry and flavorless (specially from chain restaurants), but you can always dip the crust with some sauce or something.

Seriously, Era. Do not waste food like that or I will slap you in the face.

Rant over.

Wasting gluten is a mortal sin

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Man why is everyone so angry on this thread. Maybe people want to get full on the dough plus toppings and not get full on just bread. Also, if you are full you should stop eating. Eating past when you are full leads to obesity, and sometimes you can't buy the exact amount of pizza to make you full but have no waste whatsoever.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Crust is usually my favorite part of the pizza. I have a friend that doesn't eat the crust and I usually rip it off before he eats the slice and eat it myself.

Apr 21, 2018
I don't eat crust, you oinkers should try doing the same, saving calories when you are already harming your bodies with greasy, fatty pizza

This is my thought. If I won't be able to finish the pizza anyways (I can only eat 2-3 slices, so often times there is leftovers), why would I waste my stomach space on the bread? I want the toppings.

However, if I'm super hungry, or I run out of pizza, or I have dipping sauce, or I have stuffed-crust.....gimme that crust.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
sometimes I eat them, sometimes I don't, watchagonnadoaboutithuh!

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the pizza entirely. If it's some cheap pizza with the giant, doughy, plastic tasting crust - no way.

A good thin crust though? Yes please.
You had me at doughy and lost me at plastic tasting lol.

OP I'm all for the crusts no matter what style of pizza. I'm not gonna discriminate if it's thin crust, deep dish, or regular.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
My daughters make stacks of them and then take a picture and send it to my mother in law to tease her, as she loves crusts. Then I use them to sop up whatever's left of my entree because our local place's dough is out of this world.

Tipo_margherita-pizza_credit-Kari-Herer_9.png

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the pizza. Costco type base is a crime to not eat crust.

Some crusty bread type crust? Bin it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I don't eat crust, you oinkers should try doing the same, saving calories when you are already harming your bodies with greasy, fatty pizza
silverx: (eats meatpocalypse pizza, leaves the crust)
me: (eats meatpocalypse, eats the crust)
silverx: "you fucking oinker"