• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you feel about the Xeno franchise?

• I, too, like Gears the most

Votes: 340 60.6%
  • I'm more of a fan of the Xenosaga series

Votes: 37 6.6%
  • I liked Xenoblade Chronicles the most

Votes: 136 24.2%
  • I liked Xenoblade Chronicles X

Votes: 48 8.6%

• Total voters

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Xeno games are just a downhill ride.

Gears is better than Saga
Saga is better than Blade
Blade is better than X
And down at the bottom is Blade 2

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I think all the xeno games are interesting and very worthwhile in a lot of ways especially for the consistent suite of incredibly memorable antagonists and protagonist relationships. There's a lot to read into with the series and the strength of the environmental art has improved over time with xb2 having the strongest suite of towns since xenogears itself.

They are complex games and approaching them with a willingness to read into them makes them more enjoyable.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a very 90s anime trope-y thing to want, but IMO the further the Xeno games got away from playing with real world religion, the less interested I've been.

Gears was a genuinely mind expanding experience for a 12/13 year old kid starting to have questions about his own religious upbringing ("you mean you can play around with blasphemy without hellfire raining down on you??"). None have been able to hit with anywhere near as much impact as they've progressively gotten away from it entirely.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Xenogears but I basically consider it a stand alone title. That doesn't mean all the others are bad but they have their own feel.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I like most of the series in different forms but Xenogears and Xenoblade 2 are the only ones I really love. 2 reminds me a lot of Gears in general.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's a very 90s anime trope-y thing to want, but IMO the further the Xeno games got away from playing with real world religion, the less interested I've been.

Gears was a genuinely mind expanding experience for a 12/13 year old kid starting to have questions about his own religious upbringing ("you mean you can play around with blasphemy without hellfire raining down on you??"). None have been able to hit with anywhere near as much impact as they've progressively gotten away from it entirely.
Eh... the only one that moved away from Gnosticism was Xenoblade 1, and that was probably more to do with it not becoming a Xeno game until late development. Xenosaga had Jesus fucking Christ in it and Mary Magdalene as a major character. X and Xenoblade 2 moved Blade heavily back towards Gnosticism. 2 especially took a lot of ideas from Gears and Saga.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I really like Xenosaga, but consider it to be heavily flawed. I think the games have a stronger cast of characters than Gears overall, but that the basic plot was messy in certain areas and it doesn't really feel like Episode I and Episode III quite fit. There's no reason for the vision of one potential future in the context of III.

Gears does a great job with it's plot, but of course there's disc 2.

I enjoyed Xenoblade, and think it's fine without being a new iteration of what they were going for before. I find the fanservice in 2 to be distracting.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Xenosaga, but consider it to be heavily flawed. I think the games have a stronger cast of characters than Gears overall, but that the basic plot of kind of a mess and I it doesn't really feel like Episode I and Episode III quite fit. There's no reason for the vision of one potential future in the context of III.

Gears does a great job with it's plot, but of course there's disc 2.

I enjoyed Xenoblade, and think it's fine without being a new iteration of what they were going for before. I find the fanservice in 2 to be distracting.

I can understand 2's fanservice being distracted but I think it has a lot to say, especially about male-male love and companionship, and the ways in which children can be poisoned by their parents.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how this is a question, Xenogears is one of the best games ever made. Only issue I have is the direction disc 2 took due to the time constraint of 2 years and all this means is that I wanted more time with the game.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I like Gears the most and to be honest with myself every Xeno game since has an automatic ding against it just for carrying the Xeno title.

I've enjoyed them all, but I would trade them all for the original to become what it was supposed to be.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even know how this is a question, Xenogears is one of the best games ever made. Only issue I have is the direction disc 2 took due to the time constraint of 2 years and all this means is that I wanted more time with the game.

Xenogears should have been 2 games.

That would also mean we would have 2 Xenogears games.

Oct 28, 2017
Eh... the only one that moved away from Gnosticism was Xenoblade 1, and that was probably more to do with it not becoming a Xeno game until late development. Xenosaga had Jesus fucking Christ in it and Mary Magdalene as a major character. X and Xenoblade 2 moved Blade heavily back towards Gnosticism. 2 especially took a lot of ideas from Gears and Saga.
TBH my comment was more aimed at Blade 1. Maybe I'll have to give 2 a shot.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

From my understanding SE wanted the game to end when the group escaped Solaris but Takahashi thought otherwise. Honestly I'm happy they didn't end it on Solaris, would have been a real disappointment.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding SE wanted the game to end when the group escaped Solaris but Takahashi thought otherwise. Honestly I'm happy they didn't end it on Solaris, would have been a real disappointment.
They (Hironobu Sakaguchi) didn't really care where the game ended. They wanted all projects at the time to take less than two years of development and Xenogears was running out of time.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I dunno, dood; the original Xenoblade is pretty heavily drenched in Gnosticism!

Nov 17, 2017
I'm the opposite honestly. I like Xenoblade but I don't have much interest in Saga or Gears. Personally, I feel like they aren't too concerned with being fun games and more focused on being crazy stories. That's why Xenoblade X is my favorite even amongst the Xenoblade games. It's the only one that feels like the devs wanted to make a fun game first and foremost.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I honestly prefer saga, gears for me could have been great but there was one thing that really knocks it down to lower rungs on the ladder, the large need to grind, maybe this is from following a guide on my first playthrough but the game never gives you even barely enough experience for the recommended level for the next area, it didn't help the next area was usually recommended to be 5 to 10 levels higher, and by the end of a dungeon i was usually maybe 7 levels at minimum away from that and that was me not running, plus the deathblow grind because so some reason deathblow bars didn't increase when you used deathblows but with specific button combinations that weren't.

Now i don't hate grinding i've grinded in Xenosaga and Xenoblade, but what usually gets on my nerves when a game has me grind so i can beat the next area, that's when you start to bore me.

didn't spirits within kill xenogears 2, that probably still would have happened if the game ended on solaris

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly prefer saga, gears for me could have been great but there was one thing that really knocks it down to lower rungs on the ladder, the large need to grind, maybe this is from following a guide on my first playthrough but the game never gives you even barely enough experience for the recommended level for the next area, it didn't help the next area was usually recommended to be 5 to 10 levels higher, and by the end of a dungeon i was usually maybe 7 levels at minimum away from that and that was me not running, plus the deathblow grind because so some reason deathblow bars didn't increase when you used deathblows but with specific button combinations that weren't.

Now i don't hate grinding i've grinded in Xenosaga and Xenoblade, but what usually gets on my nerves when a game has me grind so i can beat the next area, that's when you start to bore me.
And on top of all the grinding, the actual combat system itself is very sluggish and some characters (namely Rico) are impossibly slow, so grinding is a miserable experience in it.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
And on top of all the grinding, the actual combat system itself is very sluggish and some characters (namely Rico) are impossibly slow, so grinding is a miserable experience in it.
i never used rico again outside of his forced segments, my main team was citan fei and elly well until the game took her away from me then i swapped to emeralda, she was one of the characters the guide i used recommend me use, it was always fei and citan, but the 3 could be bartz, billy, or emeralda

Oct 31, 2017
IMO the only issue with Xenosaga I is how slow it is, plus the lack of music. It needs animation skipping bc the animations toward the end of the game are too long.

Xenosaga II, I will NEVER understand the hate that this game gets and I'm convinced that most of it is completely irrational. If you loved the designs of Episode I I could see you being upset about the character design changes. I personally thought the characters looked absolutely fantastic in this game. I also enjoyed every dungeon. I LOVEDDDD the combat in this game. A majority of battles didn't take long at all; most were under 2 minutes long. I loved combos in this game and boosting was fun. I also loved the direction of the story. It had tons of personal moments along with the most epic moments in the series. The soundtrack was phenomenal. Genuinely one of my favorite JRPG's ever.

Xenosaga III is, IMO, an excellent game, but also really disappointing. The budget cuts fucking hurt. I also felt like they had little confidence with the battle system so they made it more boring IMO. It can still be pretty enjoyable but I found the combat in Episode II to be so much better.

Seriously tho, fuck people who hate Xenosaga II. It deserves so much more love than it got.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
i never used rico again outside of his forced segments, my main team was citan fei and elly well until the game took her away from me then i swapped to emeralda, she was one of the characters the guide i used recommend me use, it was always fei and citan, but the 3 could be bartz, billy, or emeralda
I always really liked Rico in theory because he dealt a lot of damage, but he's just so dang slow that having him in ways basically dead space because he was exceptionally slow in a battle system where everyone else was already a bit slow.

That said, I recall the guide I used making the same recommendations of party members.

Oct 31, 2017

didn't spirits within kill xenogears 2, that probably still would have happened if the game ended on solaris
Did it seriously kill Xenogears 2?

If so, I now hate Spirits Within more than I already did.

Why, Sakaguchi. Why.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Did it seriously kill Xenogears 2?

If so, I now hate Spirits Within more than I already did.

Why, Sakaguchi. Why.
yep

www.resetera.com

Xenogears 2 Didn’t Happen Because of FF: Spirits Within – Monolith Soft President Sugiura [Update: Xenosaga art not drawn by Soraya Saga]

https://www.frontlinejp.net/2020/05/28/xenogears-2-didnt-happen-because-of-ff-spirits-within-monolith-soft-president-sugiura/ Bad news for fans of the Xenosaga... Close if it hurts you, too.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Basically I like all the Xeno games that has something to do with perfect works. First Xenoblade was good but I'm not a fan of the combat of any of the blade games. Story got progressively worse too from each game.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I also prefer Xenogears over everything else. I'm not as harsh now on Xenosaga as I used to be, but those story critiques more or less align with my thoughts on it, would say that they didn't get the combat right until Episode III. Xenoblade was the closest that they got for me, but I ended up being bugged by a lot of story decisions (namely how badly they screwed over Melia) and balance issues with late game combat (seriously, screw spike damage). Have yet to get to either Xenoblade 2 or X.

Other than character models being much improved in Xenoblade DE, I can point out that it lets you use whatever equipment you want while choosing what actually displays on characters separately now, which is pretty neat.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

Square executives wanted him to end the game at Solaris because they were running out of development time. They told him he could finish the story in another game. Episode I was in preproduction when it was cancelled. Imagine if they ended the game at Solaris and we never go the rest of the story because it didn't sell enough copies. I'd rather have what we got than a huge cliffhanger that was never resolved.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020

There's almost no reason to grind in Xenogears and I don't know what trash guide suggested that but it was never needed. Deathblows aren't specifically learned by using the combo.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
XB1 > XB2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Saga > Xenoblade X > Gears
(Disclaimer: I only played Saga 1)

I never liked Gears very much.
I mean, the music and the story are great, sure, and I like the human combat system, but I haaaaaaaate the Gear combat.
It's an impressive game in a lot of ways, but I hate actually playing it.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
There's almost no reason to grind in Xenogears and I don't know what trash guide suggested that but it was never needed. Deathblows aren't specifically learned by using the combo.
i would have said it was a trash guide too, if it was the first guide i looked up, i looked up multiple and they all pretty much said the same

Smash Adams

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears is without a doubt my favorite Rpg of all time! Despite all the high praise of the Xenoblade games, they just never clicked for me. I did enjoy Xenosaga though. Man, what I wouldn't give for a Ps5 remake of Xenogears or even a sequel.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I finished disc 1 of Gears yesterday for the first time, I really do enjoy it. But it does a piss poor job at explaining stuff or it goed completely out of its way to explain something in way too much detail. The camera is often obscured and has terrible angles. It is really showing its age.

Story is pretty neat though so there's that. Curious about Disc 2. There's a reason the game is more known for its second disc than anything else.

Also, just a general reminder for some, since I've read way too often that its story lacks something compared to the others... The first Xenoblade was never designed or intended to be part of this series, it was retroactively slotted in with the rest.

Haven't played Saga yet, but once I'm done with Gears, all is set for those three. I'm excited!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Curious about Disc 2. There's a reason the game is more known for its second disc than anything else.

It basically becomes a visual novel in disc two. They were running out of development time and it was either that or release disc one as its own game and hope a sequel got approved.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I was a huge fan of the original, and remember being so excited for xenosaga but it didn't hit the same, and then kind of devolved into something that just didn't appeal to me at all. the latest xenoblade games are very good, and ive watched a bit, but it doesn't even remotely feel like the same game or series. if anything, I'm kind of sad that its considered the same, I feel like Gears has a very unique and special feeling compared to all the ones that came after. Would also love to see them revisit the 3D world w/2D characters, plus that battle system. It was so good. Not without it's problems, but even in spite of those it was a special game, especially for the time.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Never got a chance to play Gears or Saga

Chronicles X is incredible and my favorite, while XB1 and 2 are also great

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I've never felt that way, personally. While I enjoy most of the Xeno games, I don't think Xenogears holds up very well today. Even on a portable platform like PSP, I just find it really hard to go back to, and I've tried many times. It was absolutely an incredible achievement for its time, but having spent so much time with the Saga and Blade games, it doesn't hold up gameplay-wise for me.

That said, I think Xenoblade Chronicles X "feels" the closest to Xenogears, and is coincidentally my favourite Xeno.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've enjoyed all the Xeno games more or less, but yeah I really only loved Gears and found it to be something special. Definitely has felt like they've been playing catchup since then. XBC was promising, but X and XBC2 were quite uneven and failed in my eyes to really build off of and improve upon that foundation. Especially XBC2. I have so many issues with that game. Torna was a marked improvement, but I'm fundamentally unimpressed and uninterested in the Blade series combat and I'm not exactly convinced I'll remain interested in the series continuation.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Xenogears, Xenoblade X, and Xenoblade 2 are my favorites for different reasons. Gears has the best story no doubt. Pretty shocked to see people preferring the gameplay of gears/saga over blade tbh, not only for combat but also exploration and team building RPG mechanics.

I know Kato was big on putting adult relationships in his games.
was he? I didn't get that from CT or BK

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Ehhh, Xenosaga trilogy is still awesome in my opinion, albeit Xenosaga 2 was lacking in some parts.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
The only thing that was annoying was the bad lip syncing of the English dub during the animated scenes.

I think this was the first game I bought the OST for. I would put the theme song on repeat for hours while doing homework.

I have watched my brother play the Xeno games but never felt like I had the

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade are all basically the same thing. And I love them all.

Though Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht, and Xenogers weigh a little more at the top.

The totally not Xenoblade precursor Soma Bringer is pretty good too.

bA24z6w.gif

U90dL5b.png

wt7CElI.gif
CkWUlwt.gif
qxEmgBZ.jpg

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
I like all of them.
I can't really understand how can you say that Xenogeras has the best gameplay than all of them with a straight face though.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Same as the OP. I'm still working through Blade DE and eventually 2 maybe but after beating X I was wondering what the hype was about while being a huge fan of Gears, basically my second favorite game ever (after RE2.) I'm trying to work through it but this combat feels like nothing. The story bits have been cool so far but having owned it since release and dropped only 7 hours into it, I can't see myself being compelled to stick with it anymore.

I forced myself to finish X and can't remember a thing about that story. I remember hating how spread out it was and the absolutely insanely inconvenient nature of just, everything in it. Like gathering party members, how long it took to get a mech, the stupid randomized drops for gathering used in everything. Ugh. I enjoyed the setting though and premise of being on a new planet.

Gears just checked all the boxes for me as a kid and as an adult. Mechs, crazy world, cool story and background, and ANIME! I know the franchise is only loosely related in both story and the development team/process so I don't think of them as nearly related as some, but the Xeno name brings me in to at least give the games a shot.