• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about the Xeno franchise?

• I, too, like Gears the most

Votes: 340 60.6%
  • I'm more of a fan of the Xenosaga series

Votes: 37 6.6%
  • I liked Xenoblade Chronicles the most

Votes: 136 24.2%
  • I liked Xenoblade Chronicles X

Votes: 48 8.6%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I know the first thing people would probably say is "might it just be nostalgia?" But I don't think so. I've replayed Xenogears fairly recently and found myself far more engaged in its narrative than any other Xeno game.

What is it about Gears that makes it more appealing? I'm having trouble putting my finger on it. Saga and Blade both share fairly similar themes, moods, motifs, and even stories. They certainly feel like sequels of some sort. So why don't I like them as much?

I guess all I can do is list what I didn't enjoy about them.

Xenosaga:

-Story moves slowly - much more slowly than Gears. I suppose this is because it's drawn out over three games, but there seems to be a lot more dead time, scenes where not much happens, or teases for what's going to come later. It makes me less invested in what's immediately going on.

-Combat is boring. Gears had snappy button based combos and pretty badass giant gear fights. Saga also has giant gears, but something about the combat feels much more sluggish.

-Story feels more pretentious than Gears. The religious references are more overt, and overall I just get a vibe that says that the story feels like it is very important and intelligent.

Xenoblade:

-I'm not much of a fan of the open world.

-There's a TON of fetch quests and collectables, my two least favorite parts of any RPG besides grinding.

-Much of the gear changes your appearance, and a lot of it doesn't look very good.

-At least in the original release, the character models were pretty ugly.

Xenoblade 2:

-Gacha system REALLY turned me off.

-Sexualized characters are mentioned all the time, and while I didn't find them as offensive as I did humorous (in the way that you laugh at something pathetic) I did find them incredibly low-brow and distasteful, which dampened my overall experience.

-Shares the same giant overworld problem with the first game.

Xenoblade X:

-Story. Not enough of it. That's my primary focus in a Xeno game.

At the end of the day, I think I enjoyed the story of every Xeno game. But only Gears offered the "complete package" for me. I guess because it plays and feels the most like a traditional JRPG.

Overall rankings for me, personally:

Story:

Gears = Blade >>> Blade 2 >>>> Saga >>>>>>>>>>> X

Gameplay:

Gears >>>>>>> Blade = X >>> Saga >> Blade 2

Overall:

Gears >>>>>>>>>>> Blade > Saga > Blade 2 > X

I know it's kind of unfair to lump all three Xenosaga games together, as there are differences between them, but they felt like a three part story to me, and I put them together in my head when I think of them.

Xeno fans, how do you feel?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I totally do, I feel like Xenogears was a one-hit wonder for Tetsuya Takahashi. Note that I enjoyed Xenoblade but the story is really "i can't believe we went from xenogears to this"

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
The only other Xeno game I love nearly as much as Gears is XB Chronicles X so right there with you. XB1 and 2 were pretty good but don't reach the highs of Gears. Xenosaga ranged from middling to trash.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love Xenosaga with all my heart.

I dig Xenogears fine but haven't played it in a long time. actually haven't played xenosaga either gimmie a remaster already

Never did the blades.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I've tried all of the Xeno games and have only finished Gears, and even went back to play it a second time.

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried playing some of other Xeno games but Gears is the only one I love the others are ok at best to me.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I could see it. I haven't played enough Xenoblade to really feel strongly either way about it but the Xenosaga games were largely just bad. Xenogears has issues and is clearly not a finished product but it feels like it has the most ambitious story telling and complete vision from an inspired creative team.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
While I definitely like Xenogears the most, I'm a fairly big fan of the other Xeno games (especially Xenosaga 3 and Xenoblade 1).

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
As someone who played Gears and the whole Xenosaga for the first time last year, I gotta say Gears is my favorite story.
Blade is gameplay king imo. Xenoblade 1 is one of my favorite games of all time and also the first Xeno game I've played.
Needless to say I think every single game is special. Xenosaga is also super fascinating.
I always get so invested in those stories and try to read as many story explanations as possible. It's driving me nuts :D

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of the other games tap into the same magic as Gears. Although they all vary from good to excellent.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the other Xeno games pale in comparison to Xenogears in every category, from the music and visuals to the story and gameplay.

It's not even close.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Ive tried so many times to get into Gears but always hit a wall with leveling the Deathblows and the combat. I love the world and the vibe but it's difficult for me to get into. I'd say so far having never beaten it, it's my least favorite.

Same with Xenosaga but I get the combat, it's just difficult for other reasons like having little opportunity to grind and make the fights easier.

Xenoblade 2 is my favorite for sure but the original Chronicles is a close second. I also love X but the lesser story telling hurts it for me.

Xenoblade 2>Xenoblade 1> Xenosaga> Xenoblade X> Xenogears

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Yep. Love Xenogears, and haven't cared for any other Xeno title. I'd shake the heavens for a Xenogears remake.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Yeah Xenogears really is special. Pacing has a lot to do with it, as well as the snappy battle system.

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears is probably my favorite game of all time so I'm with you there. I really want to play saga but have no idea how. I really loved Xenoblade 1 but wouldn't put it on Gears level. I didn't care much for XB2.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I like all of them but Gears is my favorite still. Xenosaga 3 came close.

I don't know if a game like Xenogears could exist today without being 5 parts or something. It's absolutely massive in scope.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
-Much of the gear changes your appearance, and a lot of it doesn't look very good.

This is fixed in the remaster. I choose the default armor for most characters.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
  • I started with Xenosaga 1-3 and really liked that weird ass trilogy - warts an all
  • Loved Xenoblade and Xenoblade Chronicles X, two of my favorite JRPGs
  • Tried Xenogears, but didn't think it aged well. Put it down after a while.
  • Absolutely hated Xenogears Chronicles 2

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Xenogears is one of my favorite games. It's the only Xeno title I like at all in the slightest.

Oct 27, 2017
Xenogears > Xenoblade Chronicles > Xenosaga Pt 1 > Xenoblade Chronicles X > Xenosaga Pt 3 > Xenoblade Chronicles 2 > Xenosaga Pt 2

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Yeah and I tried to get into Xenosaga. Played a bit of Xenoblade 1 and it seems fine but neither it or saga pulled me in on anywhere near the same level as gears.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Xenogears has the best story out of all the games (actually, out of all the jprgs), lovely characters and ost, but it's just that. The battle system is boring, the pacing is all over the place, graphics aged extremely bad and so, the game is not nearly "complete" as it should and it's a product clearly not polished enough, it needs a remake. The Xenoblade games instead are an overall perfect package and aren't particularly lacking in any aspects at all, expect Xenoblade X on the story department for obvious reasons. As such, Xenoblade 1 and X are my favourites of the bunch made by Monolith

I agree tho on the fact that we really need more games like Xenogears

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Saga is still absolutely incredible but yes, Gears is the best. The Blade games are extremely simple in terms of characterization and plot while overbearing on gameplay. The wrong way to go.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I consider Xenoblade to be one of the greatest games of all time, but Xenogears has a story that is downright magical and unsurpassed as far as gaming goes. It changed my life and I even got my name from it.

There hasn't been anything like Xenogears since. There probably never will be. The closest thing to it (Xenosaga) crashed and burned.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Can't speak for the whole experience, but I definitely enjoyed the first few hours of Gears way more than Blade 1. Aside from the mechas they are completely different games.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
I can't speak to Xenosaga, but the Xenoblade games have got to be the most overrated games on Resetera.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I would like Xenoblade more than I do if not for the clunky MMO-lite combat. But beyond that nothing else in the Xeno-multiverse comes close to Gears.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get too far into Gears, but it seemed decent from what I played.

I loooved all of the Saga games, definitely some of my all-time faves.

Of the Xenoblades, I've only played 1 and 2, but they were honestly both pretty crap? The character writing was poor, the stories were nothing special, and the gameplay was incredibly meh in both. The character designs didn't affect my opinion on either, they just weren't very good games. Don't really get the amount of praise people throw at them.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It should be noted that Xenoblade was never meant to have that name and should have stayed as Monado as it was debuted. I certainly would have looked at it differently just from that.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Yup. I would like Xenoblade more than I do if not for the clunky MMO-lite combat. But beyond that nothing else in the Xeno-multiverse comes close to Gears.
I have thought about it before - if they remade Blade with Gears' exact combat system and a linear overworld, I.E. kept the same characters and story but streamlined them and basically changed the gameplay entirely, I might have almost liked it as much as Gears.

I think the Torna DLC came closest to that and it is incidentally my favorite Blade experience.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Nothing will ever match the anticipation when you first see Xenogears part V at the end of the credits. My hopes were so high for the whole thing to be fleshed out after that. So young and innocent then, lol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Xenogears and the Xenosaga trilogy.

From the Xenoblade games I only like the first one. The Blade series was a huge step down from the amazing stories of Gears and Saga.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I liked Xenosaga. It wasn't as good as Xenogears, but wasn't bad. I've only played Xenoblade 1 and hated every minute of it. It's one of my least favorite games ever. I haven't played X or 2 because what I've seen of them makes them look worse than the first. The more time that passes, the more I'm convinced that Xenogears was a once in career fluke for Takahashi. It was the right group of people together at the right time and the right place.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always found Gears to be alright at best, the second disk is so rushed I absolutely refuse to look at it as a masterpiece as I really felt it hurt the game.

That said Xenosaga Episode 1 is one of my favorite games of all time and I will always adore It.

I find Blade 1/X to be kinda meh.

I guess it's just really clear that I am not the demo foe the games, that's okay but for me only one really was magical to me and it was neither of the popular branches.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Xenogears is my favorite game ever and I still love every other single Xeno title. Although I'll say Xenogears is far beyond above every other title from Monolithsoft. Games like Saga 3 and Blade 2 come close.

Gears > Saga 3 > Blade 2 > Rest.

I mean it's perfectly understandable.

They weren't made by the same teams.

Most of the core team is there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have thought about it before - if they remade Blade with Gears' exact combat system and a linear overworld, I.E. kept the same characters and story but streamlined them and basically changed the gameplay entirely, I might have almost liked it as much as Gears.

I think the Torna DLC came closest to that and it is incidentally my favorite Blade experience.

Pretty much. I think Xenoblade's story is fine but the gameplay is just so bland.

And then you have Xenoblade 2 which makes the same bland gameplay way more complex and layers dozens of systems on top of it but in no way makes it more fun to play, while its story is MARKEDLY worse. And they flood it with gross, over-the-top sex pandering for perverts.

Meanwhile Xenoblade X is just an offline MMO. It's not bad at what it does but its writing is also very bad.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Xenogears just has better writing, characters, story, world, music, everything really. It's a one of a kind JRPG that has never been reproduced in other Xeno games or elsewhere. The Xenogears battle system is ehh, take it or leave it. But let's be honest, very few people play JRPGs for combat; they play for story.

That said, Xenosaga was pretty enjoyable (episode 3 especially) and so was Xenoblade Chronicles in it's own way.

Last edited: