• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
No thanks, I'd rather have permanent weapons with different properties (ice, boomerang, wind, fire, poking) which can be upgraded and used in different situations, depending on the dungeon and enemy type, I think that'd be a much better style of game design than having them break for whatever reason. Like ancient weapons doing more damage to Guardians and similar creatures, and fire weapons doing more damage to ice-based creatures.
You would if the game encouraged switching through clever encounter designs and status effects etc...
Basically this, design dungeons and enemies around this, rather than adding a terrible durability mechanic.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
Honestly, if weapon durability returns in the sequel, I wont be playing it. It is an annoyance and requires needless tedium with weapon management. I have life to manage, I dont need to rifle though cookie cutter weapons with arbitrary damage values.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not. It's really not.
36244.jpg

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I hope they keep it too.
I don't mind durability for melee weapons, it's well made there.
But dear god the bows need to break way more easily.
Even in a no melee run, I'm swimming in bows.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Absolutely not! Weapon degradation (along with the silent protagonist) just killed this game for me. If I get a cool new spear I want to be able to use it without worrying oh no is it gonna break

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
This game isn't exactly about hardcore realism lol, like how the enemies poof away for example

Here was me thinking it was a documentary from medieval times!

Like I said, it's a tiny nitpick. More of an observation really. There's a fancy term for it I think, ludonarrative dissonance. On some small level it subconsciously pulls me out a little bit and reminds me it's a very gamey game. The enemies poofing away...they're magical beasts, I can come up with some bullshit. I think it's because it's such a high tech, digital looking effect - if weapons dissolved away in some magical golden glowy way, I think it would fit the fantasy world more. [/The real issues]

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I think you should be able to level up and increase the strength and durability of weapons by forging, and then allow you to add the Master Sword durability recharge ability for a high cost.

I want a Guardian Broadsword +4 that recharges.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here was me thinking it was a documentary from medieval times!

Like I said, it's a tiny nitpick. More of an observation really. There's a fancy term for it I think, ludonarrative dissonance. On some small level it subconsciously pulls me out a little bit and reminds me it's a very gamey game. The enemies poofing away...they're magical beasts, I can come up with some bullshit. I think it's because it's such a high tech, digital looking effect - if weapons dissolved away in some magical golden glowy way, I think it would fit the fantasy world more. [/The real issues]

Yea I get that, I just find it amusing because BotW is full of gamey stuff, not just that.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I mean, that's what stats are for.
I'd love to have one series that isn't stupidly bloated with "RPG" numbers. If they do that with the next one I'd be bummed out.

99% of the time the numbers are stupid and irrelevant and I liked that BOTW encouraged you to think about your encounters, instead of just having it be "go to this place, get this weapon, face roll the game"

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I thought it was pretty good, would of liked a few more special/ultimate weapons that had similar cooldowns to the Master Sword.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
No. Delete it, throw it in the dumpster and light said dumpster on fire.

Alternatively, revamp it so when a weapon "breaks" it just does 50% damage instead of 100% damage.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Just heavily reduce weapon damage when weapons are "broken" and give us an option to repair them like in so many other titles. Not to mention the inventory system is not intuitive enough to make it feel seamless, WAYYYYY too much time in BOTW is spent micromanaging in the menus.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
I'd love to have one series that isn't stupidly bloated with "RPG" numbers. If they do that with the next one I'd be bummed out.

99% of the time the numbers are stupid and irrelevant and I liked that BOTW encouraged you to think about your encounters, instead of just having it be "go to this place, get this weapon, face roll the game"
I dislike rpg numbers as well but having to constantly fiddle with item management is no fun either.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
People who say weapons break after 5 hits are talking shit or suck balls at the combat. Post a video so we can see how bad you are.

Every group of enemy carries weapons that are suitable to defeat them. You basically take one out and use it's weapon, rinse and repeat.

Combat in the game is about creativity and using all tools. It's not devil may cry.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I suppose we just had different experiences. I saw no point in fighting anything in the second half of the game because combat was always a net loss and the rewards for engaging in it were terrible.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Just heavily reduce weapon damage when weapons are "broken" and give us an option to repair them like in so many other titles. Not to mention the inventory system is not intuitive enough to make it feel seamless, WAYYYYY too much time in BOTW is spent micromanaging in the menus.
THAT'S not tedious and time consuming?

Thing breaks, press L and pick the next.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
People who say weapons break after 5 hits are talking shit or suck balls at the combat. Post a video so we can see how bad you are.

Every group of enemy carries weapons that are suitable to defeat them. You basically take one out and use it's weapon, rinse and repeat.

Combat in the game is about creativity and using all tools. It's not devil may cry.
how can you be elitist about breath of the wild's combat

you can literally pause the game and give yourself +8000 health buffs whenever you want

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you. I really want to see how some of you played this game.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Nope, I want it gone. It was #1 on my long list of things I disliked about the game, and that recharging Master Sword was icing on the shit sundae.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If you can fix the weapons what's even the point? Either have them basically be ammunition (like they are in BOTW) or have permanent weapons with upgrades or something. Basically don't half-ass it

May 16, 2018
I like weapon durability when the worst state your weapon ever enters is "less good than normal" rather than broken. Basically, reward vigilence in acquiring new weapons/repairing, but don't punish not doing so.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017

Inventory full. Discard item? No, wait, maybe that other one is better. Actually I should just throw away these sticks.

Oh, there's a treasure chest. My inventory is full. Of course. I guess i don't need the last weapon i got from a treasure chest. boy is this tedious.

vs
Repair item? Y/N every now and then

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are some elements to it that can be improved. That being said, I don't want it gone for the next entry. BOTW would not be as good as it is if it weren't for weapon degradation and nothing anyone says will change my mind on this.

Signed - someone who hates weapon degradation.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

It's something that's not every well thought out for the endgame where the player is constantly prepared. As they even try to shoehorn the master sword into the system. Leading to tedium. Which becomes an even bigger issue when fighting enemies like lynels who unless you break the game system via buffs, have insane amounts of health but not enough tactics variety to justify that health pool.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
how can you be elitist about breath of the wild's combat

you can literally pause the game and give yourself +8000 health buffs whenever you want
I'm not being elitist about anything. Just calling bullshit on those who say weapons break after 4 hits and shitting on the mechanic because I guarantee you they play like cavemen.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I dislike rpg numbers as well but having to constantly fiddle with item management is no fun either.
If you were constantly fiddling with item management than I'm going to be that guy saying "you're playing the game wrong."

When the theme is live off the land, and every enemy drops weapons, you have infinite bombs, and multiple ways of tackling things with strategies/elements/etc and you're worried about keeping that one 52 Strength sword than I gotta say that's why you don't like it.

Weapons aren't meant to be that way, and the emphasis on RPG numbers and Avatar strength versus player strength is what I hate about a lot of games these days.

I suppose we just had different experiences. I saw no point in fighting anything in the second half of the game because combat was always a net loss and the rewards for engaging in it were terrible.

I saw your other posts, and that's fine, and I agree with my previous post outlining how they could fix it that they should make enemy engagements more rewarding/useful, but I also don't think I need every game to give me a reason to constantly fight everything either.

The short answer to that for me is "I was too busy doing other things to worry about fighting a lizalfos after 200 hours"

Seeing "no point in fighting anything" is bad when the game is about fighting, but aside from maybe Twilight Princess the combat has never been anything to write home about in the first place in these games sans the creation of Z-Lockon ,and I have other things to play with.

Seeing no point in engaging in combat, to me, almost means nothing because I don't think I need a point to have combat and I enjoyed finding other ways to deal with the problems. To each their own.

EDIT: Nevermind I see this thread is going to be...not productive so I'll be muting it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yea, I would imagine if one was pressed over their favorite weapons before, that'd they'd be even more obsessed with them. I know I'd personally go back to reset its durability for every little thing.

I genuinely feel that being forced to accept that it's not a big deal if it breaks works best. I think I'd rather them do something completely different than simply allow for every weapon to be repairable and call it a day.

If you can fix the weapons what's even the point? Either have them basically be ammunition (like they are in BOTW) or have permanent weapons with upgrades or something. Basically don't half-ass it

Yea pretty much.

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
It was the worst part of the game. By the end I just ran past most enemies because there was no point in fighting them. I would only lose good weapons and get shit ones in return.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
The feeling of improvisation & the feeling good of "I chose the right kit to bring into this" vastly outweighed the times where I was worried about "wasting" a good weapon, or having to scrounge for some gear. Especially because in the end game, the Master Sword was easily the best option & getting additional ancient weapons was absurdly trivial (just go refight some shrine bosses, yall).

I'm fine with having weapons be fixable, or a toggle option for people who don't want it, but the world & game flows really benefited from a sense of limited means. Throwing that last point of durability level axe at an Hynel, then picking up a tree branch to just have something felt more tense than a pain in the ass. Durability made BotW better imo, and I hope they evolve on the feature than get rid of it.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I absolutely dread it and it's greatly hurting my enjoyment of my first playthrough of BOTW, if they're gonna keep it, then at least don't make the weapons break after 5 hits.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Personally, I would just prefer it being under the options menu...

Weapon Break... On | Off

... let the individual decide whether to use it or not.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the opposite, I never finished BOTW because of the weapon degradation. I really hope it isn't in the sequel.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Just allow an item that can fix or even make weapons permanent. Make it rare like rare candies for all I care, just give me the option.

I agree with OP, and having something like this would help it a lot as well. When I run into something that I really love, I don't want to risk losing it quite so easily. Give me something challenging to work towards to give these weapons permanence. Maybe instead of outright breaking, the weapon could end up as parts in your storage which could be reforged, or used for enhancing new weapons you obtain. Later on with rarer materials that reforging could become permanent.

I know the end result is that you'll be using the same strong weapon forever basically, but that happened anyway in late game BotW between the enhanced master sword and only using lynel or guardian weapons which you could just farm.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Durability killed my experience. I ended up avoiding every single fight all the time. Enemies over there? I'll go somewhere else.

I still managed to enjoy the game because where it shines, it's genius. But I absolutely hate the idea of not keeping the cool stuff I find.