• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I just hope they fix the pacing and the structure, I've walked in the field about 12 times during the whole process and there was just too much battling without stopping involved.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I think they just need to keep the audience part, not necessarily the stadiums.

If it's stadiums again though I could do without the silly uniform. Or at least let me customize the uniform.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yeah it's pretty cool, but I think working on much prettier-looking backgrounds would also help a lot during gym battles. Also, they'd feel even more epic if they were harder, but I haven't grinded at all (nor spent much time in the Wild Area) and the first 3 gyms were easy as hell, that's as far as I've gotten in the game as of yesterday.
The first three gyms are stupidly easy. 5, 6, and 7 gave me some genuine trouble (as well as the Champion Battle), so they do ramp up a little bit.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
lol

We're gonna get another 4 co-op for sure next gen, the only time GF removed a big communication battle mode was Triple/Rotation battles..

I expect it to return but not as a raid fighting a big mon

They just removed the global trading system. The staple of the trading scene since 2006. They also cut half the pokemon. Nothing is sacred.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Haha, I felt the exact opposite. Especially with the chanting and the cheering, it felt positively electric.
It was amazing, it was the first time I felt the actual Champion battle was memorable in ages, and a lot comes down to that music.

I think for me being South Asian and Leon being South Asian, I want things to be perfect and he came super close but fell short

I wanted Leon to have his own theme song that fit someone who destroyed every challenger and I got another remix of the main theme and the chanting to me sounded similar quality to the vocal samples in Launch Base Zone in Sonic 3 (weird pull, I know)

His team was also almost perfect. He had some real heavy hitters but only having 5 pokemon and his ace being Charizard and not a galarian mon like Dragapult (which he has) just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

I think Leon would benefit most from voice acting in this game since he's such an over the top dude

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah, basically take the Stadiums in Gen 8, and combine them with the Trials in 7 (which they already kind of do), as well as the multi purpose nature of the Gym buildings in 5. There's still a lot of room for evolution (heh) left!
The gen 5 themes were more aesthetical and thematic to fit the leaders, I'm talking about proper usage. Like you just know Hearthome in the Sinnoh remakes will have the stadium share a space with the contest hall to allow for Dynamax/Gigantamax in the super contests. Maybe not in each game or for every feature, but they should have the stadiums go the extra mile. Like after becoming champion it turns out there is a master league for the champion to truly train himself to be the best with a new master challenge that has frontier style rulesets and challnges.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of meh after the first one, and requires both a bunch of lore setup but also doesn't work considering its own lore.

Almost everyone drops out at the third gym? How did the local boards in the other five cities agree to that (let the first three have all the money)? What are the spectators doing? Do they just hang out in the stands? "I paid $300 to take my family to see this gym battle but the kid couldn't figure out this pipe puzzle and went home, so..."

They fit within the ultra capitalist Galar thematically but they wouldn't elsewhere. Also means your gyms have to be in big cities, not small towns or whatever.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, i definitely love the camera (I actually mention it in the OP too :P)
It's definitely something they need to build on in future games, don't abandon this, Game Freak
T2KD4DS.gif

I truly, TRULY want to believe that they won't abandon it, but I have been burned too many times. I don't have it in me to have hope anymore.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good idea that makes sense and is enjoyed by people, which means it will never be seen again outside of a third version or eventual remakes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Really? That was the one gym I thought was super lame. It's literally just a straight hallway. Felt super half-baked and unfinished.
It's such an amazing deviation and subversion, coupled with it being thematically so appropriate for being the first Dark Type gym in the series, plus Piers is an amazing leader, and the gym battle being a street concert, AND the music, AND the setting, AND the revelations that accompanied it, all combined to make it my favorite, yeah.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's such an amazing deviation and subversion, coupled with it being thematically so appropriate for being the first Dark Type gym in the series, plus Piers is an amazing leader, and the gym battle being a street concert, AND the music, AND the setting, AND the revelations that accompanied it, all combined to make it my favorite, yeah.
Can't say I agree. All the other gym battles had some interesting gimmicks while this one was just some straight battles. The street concert thing could have been interesting in concept, but it was very poor in execution.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

That part stuck out to me as a moment where I really thought "... man, this game needs some kind of voice acting".

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I think for me being South Asian and Leon being South Asian, I want things to be perfect and he came super close but fell short

I wanted Leon to have his own theme song that fit someone who destroyed every challenger and I got another remix of the main theme and the chanting to me sounded similar quality to the vocal samples in Launch Base Zone in Sonic 3 (weird pull, I know)

His team was also almost perfect. He had some real heavy hitters but only having 5 pokemon and his ace being Charizard and not a galarian mon like Dragapult (which he has) just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

I think Leon would benefit most from voice acting in this game since he's such an over the top dude
In general, i absolutely do agree the games now need VA (especially since they are for kids, having reading is such a barrier to entry).
The gen 5 themes were more aesthetical and thematic to fit the leaders, I'm talking about proper usage. Like you just know Hearthome in the Sinnoh remakes will have the stadium share a space with the contest hall to allow for Dynamax/Gigantamax in the super contests.
Right, I agree, I just named the gens as good introductions of the idea, that's all.
T2KD4DS.gif

I truly, TRULY want to believe that they won't abandon it, but I have been burned too many times. I don't have it in me to have hope anymore.
Hahaha... yeah...
I had trouble with 3rd gym (went grook)
4th and 5th too. then the champion won at me once... something that last time happened maybe vs Cynthia
Yeah, while the games are definitely still on the easier side, i did find them harder than base XY and base SuMo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Can't say I agree. All the other gym battles had some interesting gimmicks while this one was just some straight battles. The street concert thing could have been interesting in concept, but it was very poor in execution.
Haha, that's fine. I was just explaining why I loved it :)
On the whole though, we can agree at least that they need to iterate on this approach to gyms in future games.
That part stuck out to me as a moment where I really thought "... man, this game needs some kind of voice acting".
Yeah, I'm still shocked they're not going w/ VA.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Best gym music in the series free. Bringing back the dynamic theme from b/w for the last pokemon was also god tier.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Along with the wild encounter design, the gym battles were probably my favorite changes SwSh did.

I just wish the battles were harder. Even Leon, who had a pretty good team, was worse than he should be thanks to bad trainer AI. The fight was still hype, but it could have been much better.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The first three gyms are stupidly easy. 5, 6, and 7 gave me some genuine trouble (as well as the Champion Battle), so they do ramp up a little bit.
Ah, yeah I figured it could be the case so I specified how far I had gotten in the game. I don't think they necessarily have to take place in a stadium setting, but GF could take that template and improve upon it next gen, hopefully they will.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Along with the wild encounter design, the gym battles were probably my favorite changes SwSh did.

I just wish the battles were harder. Even Leon, who had a pretty good team, was worse than he should be thanks to bad trainer AI. The fight was still hype, but it could have been much better.

maybe gamefreak will bring back challenge mode.. one day... without the stupidly annoying hoops to jump through

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the stadiums and wild encounter mechanics are my two favorite things from the game. But there's no guarantee they'll return, or Gamefreak will try and make the next game "unique" and tweak them into something worse, like they've done on the past (ie. Gen 4 contests, Festival Plaza)

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the stadiums were really great! But I also wouldn't mind if they keep changing it up, I think it'd be cool for each region to have its own version of a gym.

In my mind I kind of imagined gyms could be like dojos. Or maybe battle pagodas. Like you fight someone at each floor and then the master at the top. I don't know, I think there's a lot of room for different ideas! They could be castles, or dungeons, or labyrinths. In Alola, the "gyms" were integrated into the natural environment which was cool.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You know what they really need to fix next game?

Fjfofre.png

I'm fighting the Champion, I played 23 hours at that point beating 8 gyms, a boss fight and 7 trainers in the Tournament. I don't need to get praise when I use supereffective moves, that's just the ABC of playing Pokémon.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Fjfofre.png

I'm fighting the Champion, I played 23 hours at that point beating 8 gyms, a boss fight and 7 trainers in the Tournament. I don't need to get praise when I use supereffective moves, that's just the ABC of playing Pokémon.

I assume it runs in the family, since only he and his brother do this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Fjfofre.png

I think that's just character dialog (Hop does it too). He's your mentor, so he's just praising your moves (he also does this if you land a Crit, as an example).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I want them to keep it for Sinnoh remakes. (Though it begs the question of how you fill out a stadium in a city like Snowpoint. Like 5 people live in that town.)

It reminds me of the "last Pokemon" music for Gym Leaders in gen 5.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They are nice in the concept of Galar's league but I wouldn't mind going back to something like the S / M Trials

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to keep it for Sinnoh remakes. (Though it begs the question of how you fill out a stadium in a city like Snowpoint. Like 5 people live in that town.)

It reminds me of the "last Pokemon" music for Gym Leaders in gen 5.
all the towns in the 2D era were small. it's one of the limitations they had to combat

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I think they'll go for a shake-up again in gen 9, something like Alola (this seems to be a pattern with generations lately- something traditional, something weird, something traditional, repeat)

But the grandeur of the gym challenge isn't something that should be left behind. There are pretty easy ways to replicate it while not strictly sticking to the league formula. Imagine a region based on Italy (or more specifically, Rome) where "gym challenges" are replaced with coliseum's and there's a whole gladiator theming to the league.

mikeeb13

Dec 6, 2017
Agreed that the stadiums added a super exciting atmosphere. It felt like more than just a gym battle. Looking forward I'd love to see them again if it makes sense for the game, but I'm glad they finally captured the excitement you'd usually see in show/movies.

Also this gem from twitter rings pretty true lol

Gym battles in SWSH: Epic sporting events with a huge audience
Gym battles in every other pokemon game: 10 yo beats the shit out of a grown man in the back room of a planet fitness with no witnesses

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 5 still has my favourite gyms. I love how they managed to make so many of them feel like real places that just happened to operate as Pokémon gyms as well.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snowpoint is meant to be small though. It's way up north in nowheresville. So it would be kinda weird if it had a full stadium like the Veilstone Gym or something like that.
would be a good time to recontexualize towns to give them a sense of purpose then. especially if they're important enough to have a gym

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
would be a good time to recontexualize towns to give them a sense of purpose then. especially if they're important enough to have a gym

Would be cool if they made it like a big ski resort. Maybe include some snowboarding minigame or something lol. Also a ski lift that lets you go between the town and snow route (but of course on your first trip it's broken so you have to take the long way).

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
The stadiums are nice but I don't like how the gym leaders don't have their own '' casual '' outfits but are constantly wearing their gym.. I mean stadium gear.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
See, conversely, this is better than any music in SuMo:

Better than the Kahuna theme? The Island Guardian theme? Solgaleo/Lunala theme? Ultra Necrozma's theme? Gladion's theme? The Title Defense theme? Hau's Title Defense theme? Can't say I agree. It's a good theme, and nice use of the Hall of Fame theme, but Sun and Moon did it better using the main series theme as build up and the Alola theme being used throughout to culminate your entire adventure through the region against Kukui.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Better than the Kahuna theme? The Island Guardian theme? Solgaleo/Lunala theme? Ultra Necrozma's theme? Gladion's theme? The Title Defense theme? Hau's Title Defense theme? Can't say I agree. It's a good theme, and nice use of the Hall of Fame theme, but Sun and Moon did it better using the main series theme as build up and the Alola theme being used throughout to culminate your entire adventure through the region against Kukui.
I personally think it is better than those, yes. Not to say those aren't great! (SuMo has an incredible soundtrack after all). I agree with the Champion theme for SuMo also being great, yeah, but for me, the Galar Champion Theme represents a far more satisfying musical culmination, especially with its excellent use of multiple motifs.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
I loved the gym battles finally feeling memorable and the league feeling like a real organization. Unfortunately though as with most pokemon games, I don't expect gamefreak to keep many of the improvements next game.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I personally think it is better than those, yes. Not to say those aren't great! (SuMo has an incredible soundtrack after all). I agree with the Champion theme for SuMo also being great, yeah, but for me, the Galar Champion Theme represents a far more satisfying musical culmination, especially with its excellent use of multiple motifs.
I guess for me, there's no emotional hook to the battle. That's what accentuates the gen 7 theme for me. Kukui travels with you throughout the island challenge and talks about his dreams with you of making a league challenge that is just as impressive as other regions. So it comes as surprise that the Pokemon Professor of the game, the one who gave you your starter and picked the third one, a first for the series, is your challenger for the Championship title. The buildup makes it really special since the games were released during the 20th anniversary.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the gym battles finally feeling memorable and the league feeling like a real organization. Unfortunately though as with most pokemon games, I don't expect gamefreak to keep many of the improvements next game.
Give us a minor league before it dies, at least

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
me too. one of the best parts of the game.

champion battle in particular is so much more hype than any past champion, feelings for Leon aside (i actually like him tho and I think his team is quite good)

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I guess for me, there's no emotional hook to the battle. That's what accentuates the gen 7 theme for me. Kukui travels with you throughout the island challenge and talks about his dreams with you of making a league challenge that is just as impressive as other regions. So it comes as surprise that the Pokemon Professor of the game, the one who gave you your starter and picked the third one, a first for the series, is your challenger for the Championship title. The buildup makes it really special since the games were released during the 20th anniversary.
Yeah, I do think the Alola theme is a great 20th anniversary culmination (especially since you were originally meant to fight Oak in Red/Blue if I am not wrong), and it does feel like the logical conclusion to Kukui's storyline. But to me, the Galar theme works for multiple reasons: a) it's using YOUR theme to play it at the greatest moment of your triumph (this same theme also having played during your earlier triumph against the existential threat to Galar); b) after being told the whole game how the Champion is unbeatable, I'm finally facing him, and the theme completely meets that sense of frantic anticipation and giddiness c) love the usage of the hall of fame theme, as you said d) I can't stress enough how much I like the chanting in these games' music. It really elevates the whole thing for me.