• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've spent weeks working through 3 seasons of Colony and I just finished the finale which ended on a huge cliffhanger so I check when season 4 starts and nope, cancelled. This shit happens far too often, I wish Netflix, Amazon etc would come up with an icon or anything to let you know the show ended on its own terms or at least had the chance to wrap up properly. Unless I'm blind Netflix doesn't even tell you if the show has been cancelled. It's like buying a book with the last 30 pages missing.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
You want streaming services to advertise that their content ends abruptly, so you won't bother to watch it?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It can sometimes be a bit shocking since as there's no traditional "ratings" to Netflix, a show can end quite suddenly without warning.

Might even be difficult for fans to realise a show is in trouble and get word of mouth out about it.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
Should probably check that out before you start a series. the information is out there. plenty to watch right now

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Me: "Man, you should really watch this."
*hands Carnivale Season 1 DVDs to a friend*
*he binges it*
Him: "That was fantastic, can I borrow season 2?"
Me: "Absolutely!"
*already had it at work to give him*
*he binges it*
Him: "That ending was insane! I have to borrow season 3!"
Me: "THERE IS NO SEASON 3! FEEL MY PAIN! SUFFER WITH ME!"

(yes I actually did this... it ranks among the cruelest things I've ever done)

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always surprised that TV shows don't record an extra hour for closure, even if it's just one character in a chair reading what should have happened.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Me: "Man, you should really watch this."
*hands Carnivale Season 1 DVDs to a friend*
*he binges it*
Him: "That was fantastic, can I borrow season 2?"
Me: "Absolutely!"
*already had it at work to give him*
*he binges it*
Him: "That ending was insane! I have to borrow season 3!"
Me: "THERE IS NO SEASON 3! FEEL MY PAIN! SUFFER WITH ME!"

(yes I actually did this... it ranks among the cruelest things I've ever done)
You should really watch Firefly

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it so much that I basically quit watching TV shows. Hype new show airing? Don't care. Once it finishes, without being canceled, and with a proper (even if bad) conclusion - then I'm interested.

Mandius

Oct 27, 2017
Sense8 is probably the most recent show that I liked that was canceled too soon. Patriot not getting season 3 sucks, but season 2 ended with a conclusion for the lead.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this is why i dont watch shows until they finally end.
i aint got time for crappy or sudden endings

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still upset at GoT not getting an ending. Ratings were great, I just don't understand why they cancelled it after that 4th season. Silver lining is they couldn't continue with the butchering of Stannis' character, cos that was starting to worry me.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I guess when you put it like that, but it's not like I'm subbed for one show, I'd just watch something else.
I understand. My wife hates it when I recommend her a show that was cancelled. I enjoy what there is of the show and move on to the next. Rubicon is one that I wished had been renewed.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's the main reason I only watched Season 1 of Daredevil. Going through all those seasons of the MCU-TV on Netflix seems like a waste of time given how it ended.

It's the main reason I stick with miniseries or knowing something is going to end in its own terms.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I hate it so much that I basically quit watching TV shows. Hype new show airing? Don't care. Once it finishes, without being canceled, and with a proper (even if bad) conclusion - then I'm interested.
Started watching Game of Thrones until the last season got a release date.

I mean, we all know how that went down but I knew it was going to end with "something".

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
TV series' endings are usually disappointing anyway, so why write your script towards one?
Yep. I don't watch shows for a satisfying ending because it's rare when a show does get an ending that it's at all satisfying. I watch shows that are entertaining throughout and if they stop being entertaining then I drop them. Too much TV for me to keep watching something I only kinda like in the hopes it'll have a good ending (it probably won't).

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the other hand, you could end up with something like How I Met Your Mother, which ran 3-4 seasons too long, but you still stick with it for closure, only to get that Cleveland steamer of an ending.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What tv shows need to do is put it in their contracts that upon cancellation they are given at least two episodes extra to do an ending.

I mean, that's something imo that could benefit any streaming service, Netflix, Amazon, etc because the people that watch those shows know that even if they do get cancelled, that they'll still at least get some form of ending, even if it doesn't go as long as they wanted.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
What tv shows need to do is put it in their contracts that upon cancellation they are given at least two episodes extra to do an ending.

I mean, that's something imo that could benefit any streaming service, Netflix, Amazon, etc because the people that watch those shows know that even if they do get cancelled, that they'll still at least get some form of ending, even if it doesn't go as long as they wanted.

Nobody is going to agree to sink more money into something that has already failed.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Sometimes I have the opposite problem. I start off really enjoying a TV show but it just drags on and on. At a certain point I begin to hate the show and just watch it because I invested so much time into it already. Pretty Little Liars is the biggest example. I spent SEVEN YEARS of my life with that show and I hated every second.

But then of course you have shows like The Event or Terra Nova which I love but got cancelled after one season. The Event especially was so freakin good.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I have the opposite problem. I start off really enjoying a TV show but it just drags on and on. At a certain point I begin to hate the show and just watch it because I invested so much time into it already. Pretty Little Liars is the biggest example. I spent SEVEN YEARS of my life with that show and I hated every second.

But then of course you have shows like The Event or Terra Nova which I love but got cancelled after one season. The Event especially was so freakin good.
TE was weird television and NBC looking for the next Lost. A show with a mystery that would have been better in a tighter 10-14 episode order than the drawn out snooze fest we did get.

Now if we had more Almost Human that would have been fine with me. Karl Urban and Michael Ealy deserved better than ending the way they did.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Blame the general populous both hating change, and being fickle as fuck. This leads to production companies wanting a series that they can renew forever, which means writers hands are tied on finishing series...

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
TE was weird television and NBC looking for the next Lost. A show with a mystery that would have been better in a tighter 10-14 episode order than the drawn out snooze fest we did get.

Now if we had more Almost Human that would have been fine with me. Karl Urban and Michael Ealy deserved better than ending the way they did.

I honestly can't remember much about The Event other than the pilot and finale. I just remember how it was the last show my entire family watched together. We never got along but we always would sit down for The Event.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that you recommend a good show to someone while it's airing and no one listens. "I'll watch it when it's finished airing and I can binge it." Then the show is cancelled because not enough people watch.

Then when it's over, that same person will binge watch it - and then when they get to the end they get pissed and say "why did they cancel this show??"

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nobody is going to agree to sink more money into something that has already failed.

It could lead to more loyal customers of those niche shows. I mean they know that no other network would do that, once it's canned it's canned, so allowing those shows to have an optional 2-episode ending would be a safety net, and it wouldn't always be something that'd happen either as it'd be up to the showrunners and such if theiy wanted to do it or not, some might want to just move on.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It could lead to more loyal customers of those niche shows. I mean they know that no other network would do that, once it's canned it's canned, so allowing those shows to have an optional 2-episode ending would be a safety net, and it wouldn't always be something that'd happen either as it'd be up to the showrunners and such if theiy wanted to do it or not, some might want to just move on.

This isn't how the business is run and no one would be willing to put their own money up to set up this type of prescedent.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This isn't how the business is run and no one would be willing to put their own money up to set up this type of prescedent.

There have been shows in the past that got the networks to give them an ending episode/movie to finish it off after it was cancelled. This isn't some unheard of thing happening, it'd just be more of a safety net for tv series that fans would know that they'll get a chance at some type of ending if it gets canned.

I mean think about all the smaller/niche ishows that people like, add all of those up and you're generating brand loyalty because you won't leave them just blowin in the wind if you do decide to pull the show. Two episodes are NOTHING in terms of $$$ to companies like Netflix/Amazon.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
most tv shows dont have a proper ending sadly.

this is also why its hard for showrunners to "plan ahead" because they don't know how many seasons/episodes they have to work with. It's especially bad with network shows. Network shows can go on forever, then suddenly end with no closure because the network deems it unprofitable. Cable is generally better. I mean if GoT was a network show with the same success it'd probably be milked til season 30. While S8 wasn't good at all, and it shouldn't have ended so soon, it's pretty amicable of HBO to allow the showrunners to do it despite the show getting higher and higher viewership consistently.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
I hate it when a season of a tv-show doesn't get a proper ending.
Most shows with a season finale cliffhanger, i just tune out.

That's why End of the Fucking world and Haunting on Hill house were really good. And season 1 of stranger things.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
There is the end of a show and then the end of a story, I guess they'd ideally be the same but it's not always the case.

Part of a good story is a good ending, if a show has self contained stories in every episode then that ending has to be in every episode, if it is an overarching storyline, the ending has to come when that storyline ends. So in that sense a show can fizzle out if they don't end it at the right timing due to whatever problems they run into at that moment.

I guess it's hard to get right if you create something that lives on by public interest/money so you can't simply plan a proper ending.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I was coming here to talk about Colony and saw OP already got it covered. The show was so good T_T

I'd be fine if they closed the story in some other format like comic, book or something but we usually get nothing at all when shows get canceled.