• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Worlds main quest is weak for sure. There are some good side quests though and more importantly the writing along the way (even at times when the overall plot is dragging) is well done. Fallout 4 not only had bad quests, but it has garbage writing. As far as the gameplay goes it's servicable in The Outer Worlds which is no worse than any Bethesda game (which is to say none of them are spectacular).

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Liked everything about TOW better than Fallout 4. Personally I found it to be a shining example of "more does not mean better".

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Just asking cause I ended up playing more of 76 than 4, but I wasn't a Fallout fan to begin with.
I can see why. Fallout 76 has a much more interesting setting than Fallout 4 had (save Far Harbor, at least to me). If Fallout 76 was a singleplayer game, wasn't filled with both design and technical issues, and was built around a story with choices and NPCs, I think it could've been a good Fallout game.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm glad people are finally coming around to see Obsidian for what they are instead of some "do-no-wrong" AAA developers. They are good, but not as good as people hype them to be.

Fallout is my jam :^)

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
They are both great. Fallout 4 is a great exploration RPG, Outer Worlds is a great "go on an adventure with companions" RPG. I don't get this need to compare the two. While both are in the RPG genre, they are completely different games going for different themes, combat, exploration, etc.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Liked everything about TOW better than Fallout 4. Personally I found it to be a shining example of "more does not mean better".
This, on my 2nd playthrough now trying out a different focus on a build and having a blast.
Well I'm glad people are finally coming around to see Obsidian for what they are instead of some "do-no-wrong" AAA developers. They are good, but not as good as people hype them to be.

The fuck? Who sees any developer as a "do-no--wrong" company?

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Worlds is one of the worst games this gen. The only interesting character was Parvati and in a game like this that's a problem. That's not mentioning its million other issues

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 is a game I only found enjoyment in when I completely ignored everything about it's story and world. In terms of exploration it's a great experience once you mod those two things out.

TOW on the other hand has a setting, story and characters I actually found myself getting invested in. I like reading all the flavor stuff and listening to the dialogue. I like feeling like I was an actual character in the world who could make things happen.

I am not finished with the game yet, but I do wish it had a bigger scale in terms of exploration. Even though it does have a much more robust character building system the skill checks don't seem to go high enough to actually reward certain builds. Basically, everything is too easy. It's so disappointing that there isn't a difficulty mode that just goes all the way with making this kind of playstyle rewarding.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Fallout 4 for me was nothing but a pretty good looter-shooter. It had almost none of what got me into Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim. Outer Worlds had most of that despite the combat not being as good and it having a smaller budget.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Outer worlds was wierd for me.

The first 75% of the game I didn't really enjoy and I was going to quit but when I found out how close I was till the end I decided to just mainline the game.

Then I ended up really fucking enjoying it.

I don't think it's the heavy handed anti-capatlist game you make it out to be in your mind.

I certainly didn't find it as cut and dry as you did.

Granted at times they basically ask you to pick between corporation or outsider but the outcomes of those decisions were far less black and white.

As an example in my game I sided with the outsiders on Edgewater, I came back to a city full of people who had basically lost everything they owned and I thought "whatever, they are free to do as they please now" but in the end game cutscene it was shown that the outsiders refused to assist these people and most of them just starved, which is basically the worst possible outcome and I would have been better siding with the corporation most likely (though I don't actually know for sure, the town could have met just as bad a fate on that side).

Fallout on the other hand made me feel nothing, i mean it had a lot of cool locales and some fun nteresting quests and the music and atmosphere were well done but I didn't get the same sense of impact on the world like I did with TOW.

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely prefer The Outer Worlds, but to me the gap between the two titles is not nearly as significant as some other posters have claimed.

Firstly, Fallout 4 presents a much more interesting world to explore. While some of The Outer Worlds' major towns provide ample opportunity for interaction, I really didn't feel any need to fully explore environments even with the smaller regions.

I also was not a fan of the combat in The Outer World's at all. The shooting is still not spectacular by any means, and compared to V.A.T.S., which really makes the player feel the impact of their attacks, slowing down time did almost nothing for me.

I don't care for Fallout 4's dialogue system at all, so The Outer Worlds is clearly superior in that position, as well as superior in terms of companions I suppose even if I did enjoy hanging out with the detective in Fallout. However, I did see a lot of praise going around for The Outer Worlds' overall narrative, which I found to be a bit in the weaker side, especially regarding its predictability. Still, when compared to Fallout 4's overarching narrative I suppose most anything would be superior.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
The Outer Worlds is one of the worst games this gen. The only interesting character was Parvati and in a game like this that's a problem. That's not mentioning its million other issues
Wouldn't go quite that far. It is mechanically solid as a "Fallout" clone, it is just the environment structure is abysmal. What is the point of a new "planet" that extends 300m to another metallic building. Skybox variety, I suppose.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't. Fallout 4 is a genuinely bad game.

Fallout is my jam, too. That is why I hate Fallout 4. Bethesda shat in my jam.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
They are both great. Fallout 4 is a great exploration RPG, Outer Worlds is a great "go on an adventure with companions" RPG. I don't get this need to compare the two. While both are in the RPG genre, they are completely different games going for different themes, combat, exploration, etc.

This is my take as well. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with both of them for different reasons. I also enjoy reading the negative hyperbole about these games though, so let people compare away, it's oddly entertaining.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started Fallout 4 immediately after finishing Outer Worlds. It's weaker in the story, voice acting and general writing. But it excels in massive survival simulator. Combat balance and sense of exploration blows Outer Worlds out of the water.

Which you prefer depends on what you value more.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
The outer worlds definitely isn't doing anything new and the quests didn't affect me the way a single one from witcher 3 could, but I quite liked how the companions you took along with you would chime in during certain conversations to advise you.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TOW just kinda felt like a game built on a shoestring budget, which it's kinda my understanding was actually the case. For me the game just doesn't feel quite right, as if a lot of corners had to be cut to end up with a decently sized game.

I'm curious to see what a sequel would look like now that they're with MS. TOW2 with better visuals and animations, bigger and more interesting areas, and better combat would be pretty awesome

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Fallout 4 may have weak writing, and janky in overall, but there is a driving force that lure you explore more and play more. Plus it has a house building simulator, that was the hidden gem for me.

Outer Worlds is decent, the writing was good, I don't mind the cartoony morality of "corporation bad, workers good", it's consistent throughout, it's not a dark serious world. But OW is definitely overhyped. The gameplay is pretty much flat. OP was right when he says Edgewater is pretty much what OW is, everything else is just repitition. The loot and exploration is the weakest part of all, unique set pieces are mostly insignificant, and after getting all science weapons, everything else is just bits and ammos. At least I'm happy whenever I got glue in FO4.
I cruised through the endgame once I reached Byzantium, and have no desire to replay anymore.

OW has potential, but none of them really flies.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 may have weak writing, and janky in overall, but there is a driving force that lure you explore more and play more. Plus it has a house building simulator, that was the hidden gem for me.

Outer Worlds is decent, the writing was good, I don't mind the cartoony morality of "corporation bad, workers good", it's consistent throughout, it's not a dark serious world. But OW is definitely overhyped. The gameplay is pretty much flat. OP was right when he says Edgewater is pretty much what OW is, everything else is just repitition. The loot and exploration is the weakest part of all, unique set pieces are mostly insignificant, and after getting all science weapons, everything else is just bits and ammos. At least I'm happy whenever I got glue in FO4.
I cruised through the endgame once I reached Byzantium, and have no desire to replay anymore.

OW has potential, but none of them really flies.
The settlement system is probably the worst thing Bethesda could have added to Fallout 4.

It's janky as hell, lacks a ton of obvious QoL features, and its inclusion clearly hurt the open world when it came to unique npcs and unique settlements.

OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The settlement system is probably the worst thing Bethesda could have added to Fallout 4.

It's janky as hell, lacks a ton of obvious QoL features, and its inclusion clearly hurt the open world when it came to unique npcs and unique settlements.

yeah I'm definitely with you here. The settlement shit felt incredibly undercooked and racked on.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Like anyone, my opinion differs from the OP in that I am enjoying and have played more hours of Outer Worlds than Fallout 4. I bought Fallout 4 on launch and have only put around 20 hours into because I just did not feel it was very good. I also picked up Outer Worlds on launch and have put in about 32 hours into. Fallout just felt boring to me but I did like the openness and the sense of discovery, but outside of that Outer Worlds tops it in my opinion. The fact that Obsidian was able to create such a good game with a small budget and a small team is pretty amazing. Had they had the budget and team like what they had in Fallout 4 it would be even better and more engrossing.

hqqttjiang

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
YES,fallout 4 is much better. ow is so cheap in the world and equipment. the quest and characters is boring.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
the outer worlds still feels like baby's first capitalism is bad simulator. fallout 4 loses a lot of the original intent of fallout, but i think that's fine. i don't need this thing to adhere to a strict viewpoint forever

I dunno about you, but Bethesda's Fallout not willing to adhere to the folly's of humanity in post-apocalype society or can humans change is a big condemnation against them.

Let's not forget that they treat nukes as if they're some child toys.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think I'd have to agree; at least in terms of ambition. Fallout 4 tries a lot of stuff and with mixed results; while Outer Worlds feels like a stripped back, streamlined New Vegas.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I think it says something that so many of the people who disagree with the OP made the exact same, oh so hilarious, and ORIGINAL dialogue options joke...

Obsidian gets praise for being, what? The devs of a game or two that's only good when compared to games in the same series developed by some other guys? The Outer Worlds is okay, at best, great story in comparison to Fallout 4 and Borderlands, but gunplay, exploration, graphics (especially outdoors), and RPG elements are just flat out bad or braindead. I'm gonna love modding the bejeezes out of it once that becomes a thing...

Fallout 4 > The Outer Worlds for me...

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Fucking loved Outer Worlds, it was a bit too easy, and u can tell it didn't have a huge budget. Also, it's not really a Fallout type game imo it reminded me of a better written Mass Effect.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think it says something that so many of the people who disagree with the OP made the exact same, oh so hilarious, and ORIGINAL dialogue options joke...

Obsidian gets praise for being, what? The devs of a game or two that's only good when compared to games in the same series developed by some other guys? The Outer Worlds is okay, at best, great story in comparison to Fallout 4 and Borderlands, but gunplay, exploration, graphics (especially outdoors), and RPG elements are just flat out bad or braindead. I'm gonna love modding the bejeezes out of it once that becomes a thing...

Fallout 4 > The Outer Worlds for me...
The gunplay in Fallout 4 is horrible. Thankfully people started to realize that fact after the release of 76 which had the same shitty gunplay.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Now I'm not saying Fallout 4 is a much better game by any means, it's still easily the weakest of the series. But I do think that for all the flack the game got (which was deserved), it still does a lot of why people play Fallout better than TOW...

but it is, op. it's actually a much, much, much better game than outer worlds, which is basically a chunk of a game that wasn't properly completed...

OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

Obsidian has made nothing but bangers up to this point. KOTOR 2 (The better of the two games, New Vegas (the best fallout game), Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III, Pillars 1&2, and Tyranny.

That's a hell of a repertoire

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
The gunplay in Fallout 4 is horrible. Thankfully people started to realize that fact after the release of 76 which had the same shitty gunplay.
Something tells me you're gonna reply to anything that isn't outright hailing The Outer Worlds as the second coming of Christ...

Fallout 4 has better gunplay than The Outer Worlds, by a fairly huge margin. You're not about to change my opinion when the game itself couldn't...

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Something tells me you're gonna reply to anything that isn't outright hailing The Outer Worlds as the second coming of Christ...

Fallout 4 has better gunplay than The Outer Worlds, by a fairly huge margin. You're not about to change my opinion when the game itself couldn't...
Looking at your previous post, and then this one, it's clear you haven't read through the thread. Do that, and then I'll discuss my opinions on the games with you.

OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

TOW definitely has better actual gunplay than Fallout 4. 4's gunplay was marginally better than 3 and New Vegas's but it's still pretty shit. VATS is a great system but it definitely carries the combat.