• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
So I am a huge lover of horror, so I'm sort of predisposed to also loving cosmic horror and the ever popular "Lovecraft Mythos". However, it's always been very unfortunate that Lovecraft himself was a horrid racist, if you were unaware you can look up information about that quite easily.

I've always been a bit displeased with the fervor for Lovecraft, but the lack of addressing his shittiness by most of the fandom. Finally, a game has come around and actually directly addressed this, and mock a lot of his views directly in game while also putting positive representation in the experience as well to balance out the shittiness in adapting several things accurately.

First, when you boot up the game you're greeted with this very thoughtful screen right off the bat before you even hit the title screen:
q89Ua34.png

Though the thoughtfulness doesn't end there. As you play through the game you encounter several obvious and proud "racists" which are not portrayed as good people in the slightest, to the point where you even reach a building which hosts KKK gatherings. In here you meet their "Grand Wizard" in which he is a vile person where the outcome is to always to kill him, but to go even further there is a gold trophy (the highest level trophy you can get outside platinum) to simply mock this individual as shown in the video below. This is something I found quite amusing.

Also there is another storyline in which you find several very blatent clues as to multiple individuals in the game being gay and it doesn't try to hide this fact, though the characters of course need to by nature of the time period they are in:
9WIlEDu.png

I just wanted to give props to the dev team for being decent enough people to adopt the strong mythos of Lovecraft which have always been extremely intriguing and stylistically cool, while being able to also rework it into a modern context and lambast the creator for his horrible opinions.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty awesome, and actually made me more likely to pick this up eventually, even as someone who isn't much of a horror fan.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Good.
I am probably going to buy this later this year, after having finished Call of Chtulhu

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Good.
I am probably going to buy this later this year, after having finished Call of Chtulhu
Just for the sake of comparison since you mentioned Call of Cthulhu, I'd say Call of Cthulhu has the stronger and more impactful ending, but Sinking City has the better journey and gameplay elements. I really enjoyed both games for different reasons.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Just for the sake of comparison since you mentioned Call of Cthulhu, I'd say Call of Cthulhu has the stronger and more impactful ending, but Sinking City has the better journey and gameplay elements. I really enjoyed both games for different reasons.

Good to hear!
Thanks!

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Reminds me of the WB disclaimer. Acknowledging the past as wrong, and not trying to pretend it never happened are very important.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the thread, that makes me actually consider getting this game in the end.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
OP thanks for this thread, as I was curious as to how this game approached (or didn't) Lovecraft's bigotry. Good to know I can safely purchase this.

Oct 25, 2017
It does okay in this regard, but having the
KKK
show up in the game is kind of fucked imo. Not really well-established entities in this particular universe and at worst misused since they are
primarily racist against the innsmouth people rather than black people

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
Good job by the developpers. Too bad this game seems to be not very good from what I've seen. But this thread make me consider buying it when it will be on sale.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
It does okay in this regard, but having the
KKK
show up in the game is kind of fucked imo. Not really well-established entities in this particular universe and at worst misused since they are
primarily racist against the innsmouth people rather than black people
Strange, I felt they were pretty established and eluded to as I continued through the story. Before encountering them I met several people who mentioned them off handed and I wondered if we'd see them during the game. And I feel like I definitely heard comments from them being both generally racist and against the Innsmouthers. It didn't feel unnatural due to the fact that the story right at that moment was revolving around the Innsmouthers so the main concern was their prejudices at that moment. But yes, it could be taken as an allegory and not accurately, but I feel like that's a lot of Lovecrafts work in general.

Good job by the developpers. Too bad this game seems to be not very good from what I've seen. But this thread make me consider buying it when it will be on sale.
The game is pretty decent if you like low budget adventure/mystery titles. It has the strong feeling of a good mystery noir novel and holds to that throughout. The action and combat do suck, but they aren't the focus unless you do a lot of side content.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's a conversation with another character in a different case in which you can call him out on his racist views and if you don't back down when challenged on it can hammer it home in a way that makes the character backpedal on their perspective. While they don't admit to being wrong, they at least admit that they need to consider alternatives. It's a victory, especially given that character's arrogance and elitism up to that point.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
There's a conversation with another character in a different case in which you can call him out on his racist views and if you don't back down when challenged on it can hammer it home in a way that makes the character backpedal on their perspective. While they don't admit to being wrong, they at least admit that they need to consider alternatives. It's a victory, especially given that character's arrogance and elitism up to that point.
Throgmorton and the Innsmouthers right? I actually forgot about that part, you're totally right. That does happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Strange, I felt they were pretty established and eluded to as I continued through the story. Before encountering them I met several people who mentioned them off handed and I wondered if we'd see them during the game. And I feel like I definitely heard comments from them being both generally racist and against the Innsmouthers. It didn't feel unnatural due to the fact that the story right at that moment was revolving around the Innsmouthers so the main concern was their prejudices at that moment. But yes, it could be taken as an allegory and not accurately, but I feel like that's a lot of Lovecrafts work in general.

It's apparent to me that the intention of the developer is good, but it always seems a little shitty when devs take a real, problematic thing, and juxtapose it against fictitious events to make an easy point. Like, a lot -- and I mean a *lot* -- of the criticism about Detroit: Become Human was how it basically forgot black people existed so it could re-tell the story of racism in America, all the while leaving actual black people to be not much more than set dressing. In this game, even though it's easy to understand the context and the intent, bringing the KKK into the picture and then making the Innsmouthers be, essentially, fish stand-ins for black people -- when there are, actually, lots of black people in the game to include -- feels a bit like erase at its worst.

That being said, forgiving that side of it, they do not ever give the KKK any ground to stand on, and many dialogue options / choices properly reflect the way a game should deal with some of these issues, so they deserve a lot of credit for that. While I think the game itself is a bit pants, the way in which they broadly handle Lovecraft's influence on the work should be a relatively good template moving forward for other developers to at least consider.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Throgmorton and the Innsmouthers right? I actually forgot about that part, you're totally right. That does happen.

Yeah. You talk about his racism and he is clearly offended by it and asks you, are you calling me a bigot? You can back off and talk your way out but you can also straight up say, yes you are a bigot. I loved it.