• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you know first aid?

• Yes

Votes: 68 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 58 46.0%

• Total voters

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I saw the aftermath of a car collision today, one driver was crying in a state of shock, and the other was on the ground being attended to by bystanders.

It shook me, as I realised I don't know shit about first aid (other than laying someone on their side so they don't swallow their tongue or something). I want to learn how to be prepared for any scenario, from treating car crash victims to heart attacks, and to immediately go into action rather than stand around like a witless muppet. What about you? Do you know first aid? Do you have a handy link of first aid tips to get me rolling on this journey of self discovery? Any youtube playlists or handy websites? Would you like to drop some wisdom in this thread on do's and don't's, any common misconceptions on how to administer first aid, any tales of your own? Is it true that timing your chest compressions to the Bee Gees Staying Alive actually works?

Shall we make this a First Aid OT? I feel like they should teach this stuff in school or something.

Bee-Gees-Staying-Alive-CPR-DYK17.png

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Call an ambulance. Let professionals do that. If you really want to help, make sure your place has a good samaritan law and you know what you're doing.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The thing you learn in your drivers lessons only which is just put the person on their side and don't give them anything to drink.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Take a course and make sure you're protected by a Good Samaritan law in your area. The last thing you want is someone to sue you because you helped them and they feel you made it worse even if you ultimately saved them/helped prevent any further injury.

Nov 30, 2018
CPR is like 7% effective, so don't be hard on yourself

Also if you arrive at a car wreck, don't pull the person out

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I took a half semester course in first aid when in undergrad. Met once a week and taught me how to perform cpr, care for unconscious person, treat broken bones until EMT arrives, heat stroke, burns, etc. pretty helpful imo and I feel confident to help if something were to go down and waiting for ambulance.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I took a several month long course on it that covered bullet wounds, amputations, eye injuries, lots really. It was intense. Though my certification is years out of date.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A first aid course over the internet sounds way more dangerous than helpful, so I'll post a couple of things that probably shouldn't make things worse, and say please look up local city sponsored courses.

1. If something is sticking out of a person, you don't remove it. It could be the only thing keeping them from bleeding out. Let the pros manage it, in a controlled environment.

2. Unless they're also on fire, don't move an injured person. Also try to keep them from moving themselves until they've been checked out.

3. If blood is spurting, apply pressure to the wound. Lots of pressure is needed, and don't stop to check whether it's still spurting. It will be. Wait for someone with better knowledge to take over for you.

For the rest, OP you're looking for more than a First Aid course, you're looking for full-on emergency triage training if you want to be able to handle everything....which means a lot of school. If it's a calling, look up EMT programs and nursing etc.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Even doctors dont do much in such situations if they are first responder. Simply because they dont have the equipment there.

1) check situation
2) make sure you are save
3) make others or call ambulance yourself
4) check if person is concious
4.a) no. is person breathing?
4.a.a) if not chest compressions and mouth to mouth resu
4.a.b) if yes then semi-prone position
4.b) yes! stay calm and talk to the person calmly make them feel save till ambulance arrives.

Its all common sense really. Get people out of leaking cars, keep bleeding parts highly raised so blood has difficulties to travel there. If something is stuck in bodies DONT remove it.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Even doctors dont do much in such situations if they are first responder. Simply because they dont have the equipment there.

1) check situation
2) make sure you are save
3) make others or call ambulance yourself
4) check if person is concious
4.a) no. is person breathing?
4.a.a) if not chest compressions and mouth to mouth resu
4.a.b) if yes then semi-prone position
4.b) yes! stay calm and talk to the person calmly make them feel save till ambulance arrives.

Its all common sense really. Get people out of leaking cars, keep bleeding parts highly raised so blood has difficulties to travel there. If something is stuck in bodies DONT remove it.

I second all of this. I'm CPR certified. Though, I was taught that mouth to mouth isn't used anymore that we should only use chest compressions. It may have changed again though. Also, if they are bleeding, put pressure on the wound.

I'll second making sure there are Good Samaritan laws if you are worried about lawsuits. Doing CPR properly means bruised and likely broken ribs.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had a somewhat similar scenario -- saw a car accident (that thankfully didn't have anybody hurt), and I realized I wouldn't know what to do if someone had been hurt.

I ended up taking a Red Cross first aid course (Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED) and became certified. It was only a several hour course -- but I still learned enough to have an idea on how to handle common situations, which is better than before.

I'd recommend taking a course.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I second all of this. I'm CPR certified. Though, I was taught that mouth to mouth isn't used anymore that we should only use chest compressions. It may have changed again though. Also, if they are bleeding, put pressure on the wound.

I'll second making sure there are Good Samaritan laws if you are worried about lawsuits. Doing CPR properly means bruised and likely broken ribs.
In Germany its first mouth to mouth then CPR.

In America they changed it because many people wouldnt do first aid because mouth to mouth is disgusting to many. Makes sense, it does not really matter whether 10 times CPR and then 10 mouth to mouth or viceversa.

For adults usually the heart gives away more likely, therefore enough oxygen is still in the body, it just cant be processed due to failed heart muscles. A CPR would make the oxygen go around again. Yay.

For children I was told you should start with mouth to mouth as children may have many other reasons but failed heart muscles. Its more likely that children lack oxygen therefore CPR only/first wont change much.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
your completly missing the point of first aid, your not there to cure, you are their to promote recovery and help before real guys turn up.

Yeah. First aid is about buying time. You're not going to heal anyone, you're just trying to control the situation until proper medical assistance takes over.

Someone choking might be the only case I can think of where first aid would really be the only aid.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
In Germany its first mouth to mouth then CPR.

In America they changed it because many people wouldnt do first aid because mouth to mouth is disgusting to many. Makes sense, it does not really matter whether 10 times CPR and then 10 mouth to mouth or viceversa.

For adults usually the heart gives away more likely, therefore enough oxygen is still in the body, it just cant be processed due to failed heart muscles. A CPR would make the oxygen go around again. Yay.

For children I was told you should start with mouth to mouth as children may have many other reasons but failed heart muscles. Its more likely that children lack oxygen therefore CPR only/first wont change much.

Many people still don't do it here, unfortunately, because they can be sued in some states for helping.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Many people still don't do it here, unfortunately, because they can be sued in some states for helping.

Apparently here in California there was a case where an untrained woman removed someone from a car crash and the victim was paralyzed. The Supreme Court of California ruled that the extraction was not 'medical' care, and thus the Good Samaritan law did not shield the woman who removed the victim from being sued over the act.

It seems the CA legislature amended the language to include 'non-medical' care, but it appears people aren't quite sure if that change would have the effect desired.

I learned in my course that because I am certified, I have a different level of immunity than uncertified people -- that in some cases, I have more risk. For example, if an uncertified layperson starts CPR and stops before medical personnel arrive, they cannot (considering the current confusion above) really be sued for stopping. However, since I'm certified, I could be sued if I stopped before medical personnel arrived or I became physically unable to continue. At least, that was what I was told.

I still don't have a duty to aid anyone -- but if I start rendering aid, I basically have to stick with it.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently here in California there was a case where an untrained woman removed someone from a car crash and the victim was paralyzed. The Supreme Court of California ruled that the extraction was not 'medical' care, and thus the Good Samaritan law did not shield the woman who removed the victim from being sued over the act.

It seems the CA legislature amended the language to include 'non-medical' care, but it appears people aren't quite sure if that change would have the effect desired.

I learned in my course that because I am certified, I have a different level of immunity than uncertified people -- that in some cases, I have more risk. For example, if an uncertified layperson starts CPR and stops before medical personnel arrive, they cannot (considering the current confusion above) really be sued for stopping. However, since I'm certified, I could be sued if I stopped before medical personnel arrived or I became physically unable to continue. At least, that was what I was told.

I still don't have a duty to aid anyone -- but if I start rendering aid, I basically have to stick with it.
In Germany by law if you ignore someone who requires first aid you can be sued. Law denial of assistance.

That does not mean you have to do CPR but actually help if someone urges you (to call ambulance for example). Just as long as it does not endanger your own life of course.

Passing by a car accident which requires help/has nobody to take care of is illegal. You have to call ambulance at least and stay there.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
your completly missing the point of first aid, your not there to cure, you are their to promote recovery and help before real guys turn up.
I said 'help', not 'cure'. If it's a serious situation you're not familiar with, you may end up making it worse. Knowing basic first aid, like Heimlich manoeuvre can of course be very helpful.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I've taken the course and renewed my qualification every two years because work pays me to be the designated first-aider in the office.

It should be taught in school IMO.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
In Germany by law if you ignore someone who requires first aid you can be sued. Law denial of assistance.

That does not mean you have to do CPR but actually help if someone urges you (to call ambulance for example). Just as long as it does not endanger your own life of course.

Passing by a car accident which requires help/has nobody to take care of is illegal. You have to call ambulance at least and stay there.

That's how it should be here but it isn't. In fact, Paramedics and EMTs are not legally required to help even while on the job.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was a Boy Scout, so I'm pretty well-versed in first aid. That being said, I'm a teacher, and I've sadly thought about getting some training in how to deal with gunshot wounds.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Check if you can take Red Cross First Responder Training somewhere in your area. I did it long time ago so I'm not sure if they still offer this. I was really good program and the knowledge I got during this program helped me save my son when he was 7 month old, otherwise he would choked to death before ambulance could get here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could, I tried to take one in college but I'm extremely squeamish and couldn't do it without feeling like I was going to faint. I thought it wouldn't effect me as much as other health things do but sadly I was wrong.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
In my country you have to take an 8-hour first aid course to even get a driver's license. So reading this feels weird for me

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
it's a miracle that I can build a computer. I couldn't do anything non basic to a human without causing more damage...

Hands too large syndrome.

Oct 26, 2017
I indirectly know first aid. I never took any class but when your dad is a firefighter and your grandmother is an EMT you learn things. It amazes me how many people just think to move someone after a serious accident without considering that their freaking neck might be hanging by a thread.