• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why it's an issue? They are not spoiling anything. They are not giving any details. Just making a comment that the spoilers seem to be legit. That in no way hints or says anything about the film. And it's no different than every other over done comment you see in every Star Wars thread.

Might as well just cut off Star Wars discussion all together if this one bothers you, and every other annoying comment about the franchise that people feel the need to post every time.

mentioning that spoilers are legit when directly referencing a short promo clip clearly means there are leaked parts in that small clip. You can't help wondering what those are

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've read the spoilers but I'm sure as hell not going to post them in non-spoiler threads. I wonder how many people 'predicting' have posted in the spoiler thread before?

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is one of the few instances where I can agree with you, Crossing Eden, on a Star Wars related matter. I've read the spoilers as I don't really care too much anymore and am more interested in how they manage to execute the story but you'd never see me posting any '''vague''' '''hints''' in random Star Wars threads.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've read the spoilers but I'm sure as hell not going to post them in non-spoiler threads. I wonder how many people 'predicting' have posted in the spoiler thread before?

This is what is annoying. With all these people that wants you to know they read spoilers you can't know anymore when a prediction or theory is legit or just masked spoilers.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it is pretty annoying. Not as annoying as some cunt posting a meme on my facebook that seems to be a huge spoiler though.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had to ignore the spoiler thread here: I guessed something after watching TFA and TLJ which appears to be true (and I figured was obvious), only I didn't know it became a popular leak topic years afterwards I guessed it. Some poster here, I forget who, was a real dick head about it, I guess because in their mind I was just repeating the spoilers and leaks they trafficked in but I never read. I put two and two together and found the spoiler thread and was immediately sorry that I read it for even ten seconds. So I put it on ignore.

So yea. Please, people who traffick in the spoiler threads, please leave that completely out of all other conversation. Just because some of us may have guessed something and speculate about it doesn't mean we want you barging into conversations with spoilers.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I've read the spoilers just to watch people try to be slick and say

"oh maybe this happens"

all to get a rep when the movie comes out

it's super annoying.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Why the hell are people constantly doing this in every single TROS thread? From easily discernible and incredibly specific spoilers posing as speculation, (like the people who "speculated" that in episode 3 of GOT's final season the red witch would show up and cast a spell despite literally ZERO foreshadowing of that event happening), to people reacting to every new tidbit, poster, interview, etc. with

"wELl tHis juSt coNfIRMS thE SPOilERs"

Like, it's incredibly immature borderline shitposting imho and a reminder, there's literally a thread for spoiler discussion. And I honestly can't fathom a reason to use every new thread as an announcement that you read spoilers for a movie instead of just discussing it in that thread.
They are also the same people that will inevitably be disappointed by the movie and bitch about it for the next 50 years.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is beyond annoying in the MHA and AoT threads as well. No, we can all tell you didn't intuit that very specific manga spoiler, you can stop patting yourself on the back. No, that conversation or flashback hasn't happened yet, you can stop acting like it's common knowledge.

If there's already a full plot discussion thread that's no holds barred (like there was for GoT) there is plenty of healthy debate to be had and speculation to read by others who are fully up to speed. They just do it for the attention.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
They think they're clever and they're doing it because no one is getting banned for it. It's getting worst by the week and almost to a point where people need to blackout this place until they see it. In terms of spoilers, this site is worst than reddit right now.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's how the brain of a child works, i guess. My son just couldn't help himself when he was younger. Always spoiling movies.
He knows now but he still has that urge at 11.

No excuse for grownups though. Do Not Spoil A Fucking Thing.

Dec 25, 2018
with how much the KH3 trailers have revealed I pretty much stopped looking at trailers and stay away from threads based on star wars or for that matter anything about a new movie

KH3 really changed my view about spoilers, since the trailers pretty much spoiled everything about thast game

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This is beyond annoying in the MHA and AoT threads as well. No, we can all tell you didn't intuit that very specific manga spoiler, you can stop patting yourself on the back. No, that conversation or flashback hasn't happened yet, you can stop acting like it's common knowledge.

If there's already a full plot discussion thread that's no holds barred (like there was for GoT) there is plenty of healthy debate to be had and speculation to read by others who are fully up to speed. They just do it for the attention.
This is always annoying when things are based on something. Like you really aren't being that clever trying to pass off a spoiler as a prediction.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I typed "rise of skywalker" on youtube and 3 videos with headlines like "TEST SCREENINGS WERE SO BAD PEOPLE LEFT THE ROOM" appeared in the first page.
What a shit world we live in.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
For some it does for some is doesn't. Not hard to grasp.
Isn't it funny how anytime there's discussion about spoilers you can bet, like clockwork, there'll be posts of Spoilers Don't Matter, It's Just A Movie, and/or If Knowing A Twist Ruins A Movie...

as if those are actual meaningful responses to the topic in question

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Isn't it funny how anytime there's discussion about spoilers you can bet, like clockwork, there'll be posts of Spoilers Don't Matter, It's Just A Movie, and/or If Knowing A Twist Ruins A Movie...

Yeah, I agree on both account. Myself is spoilerphobic to some extent since I want to go in "pure". But it anoys me that people can't have the decency to not spoil and even argue against people that find spoilers... spoiling of the general experience.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just like monogamous/polyamorous threads actually.

Oct 28, 2017
Problem is that certain parts of the fandom "you know who" have done nothing but stir up controversy regarding Rise Of Skywalker and are posting bullshit rumors such as test screenings being a disaster which according to Jason Ward at makingstarwars.net has not even happened yet.

Those bullshit artists annoy me even more
Lucasfilm doesn't do test screenings. Only close friends and family so you can dismiss any report about test screenings out of hand.

Oct 28, 2017
mentioning that spoilers are legit when directly referencing a short promo clip clearly means there are leaked parts in that small clip. You can't help wondering what those are
It doesn't necessarily mean there is a leaked part in the clips or trailers. It just means that certain scenes described in the leaked plot summary match what's shown in the trailer.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
This is less an inherent problem with posting Star Wars spoilers, and more about how Star Wars discussion is often so insufferable because of how many insanely... uh.... "passionate" fans the series has, on both sides of any franchise-related topic. Need I remind you all that nobody complained about people dropping leaks in threads about Shane Black's Predator reboot, especially after the first trailer was released and everyone thought it sucked?

Posting TROS leaks has pretty much become the new "post opinions about The Last Jedi" on this site. Star Wars 'fans' just can't get enough of derailing threads with this kind of shit.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
The reason people read spoilers in the first place is to know more than other people, so it's useless if they don't flaunt that knowledge for attention.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Saying "the spoilers are true" is harmless if you don't already know the spoilers. And if you do already know them, then, well, you've already been spoiled? It might be annoying, sure, but as was pointed out in the TV spot thread when this discussion began there is no impact to someone who is unaware what the spoilers are.

I went into End Game blind. No trailers, no anything. If someone came up to me and said "the spoilers were true" it literally would have had zero impact on my enjoyment of the film. Even if I had seen a trailer, there is zero context as to what the spoilers would have been.

I get the annoyance, but let's not be overly sensitive. Seeing people call for bans is a bit much. Actually spoiling something would be bannable.
It's not harmless when the spoilers have already gone public by people spamming them all over the internet as "too crazy to be true" type stuff without any kind of spoiler warning. I had elements of that leak exposed to me from within Era without seeking them out. I didn't complain but I avoided Star Wars related threads for a time.

After that recent trailer, multiple posters said in various public threads "well this confirms the _____ version of the leak" (which is exactly what people were doing here), as a catch-all comment that immediately verified plot details to people who frequent this forum and had already been exposed to specific rumors without wanting to see them.

Saying "this trailer confirms the ___ leak" is thoughtless at best and malicious trolling at worst.

Maybe a permanent ban is too harsh, I get you but it's not "harmless".

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
People are going to be dumb about spoilers. Nothing will ever stop that. You just have to avoid discussions about it if you care enough.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
It's really, really fucking aggrivating. It's like people who've read spoilers have this weird superiority complex.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's really, really fucking aggrivating. It's like people who've read spoilers have this weird superiority complex.
The reason people read spoilers in the first place is to know more than other people, so it's useless if they don't flaunt that knowledge for attention.
I mean, you could just be satisfied wth your own personal curiosity being sated.

I read spoilers for MCU/SW/blockbusters pretty often but I'm not going to be an asshole and tease people, or even mention it at all in threads. That's just an internet jerk move for literally no other reason than to be shitty online. Why ruin the experience for others?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"The spoilers are true." doesn't bother me too much. It's certainly a sign of immaturity when people do that, but it's whatever.

What I find more annoying is when people post coy responses that confirm certain things, or "speculate" having obviously read the spoilers, wanting to either feel like movie Nostradamus, be a dick, or both.

Yeah, I understand that legitimate theorycrafting is something people enjoy. Hell, I did tons of it back during Lost, but shit like that is now ruined by trolls who read actual spoilers.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even "this confirms the spoilers" can be bad because the next reactions are invariably "popcorn.gif" or "oh god got 2.0" or something like that. Just a week ago I saw a "kylo theory" that was basically c/p from the leaks lol

It sucks though, I hate seeing spoilers about stuff I'm hyped for. Not really sure what the solution is.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Even beyond fake theorycrafting, there are people who have read the spoilers and completely made up their mind about the film and then that informs everything else they post about it. It informs the way they react or talk about the developments in the previous films or the franchise as a whole, it feeds back into whatever validation chamber they are stuck in. While they aren't always giving explicit details, they do a bad job hiding what they are actually reacting to and why they are reacting in a particular way.

And the phrase "this confirms the spoilers" isn't just some acknowledgement or signal that they know what you don't know, it's a signal to others as a sort of shorthand as validation of their own judgement. Like "hey guys looks like we are right to be excited/worried".

You saw this in the lead up to TLJ, when big spoilers finally got out, and big time with Endgame. It became a rallying cry of "welp this is gonna be an issue" for those who had made up their mind already.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is why I don't generally visit those threads anymore. I had both Endgame and Infinity War plots largely given away here by 'speculation' when they were point for point exactly what happened, and had been leaked prior. I just visit the spoiler thread once the film is out and I've seen it. Shame, because it wasn't always that way around here, but maybe spoiler/leak culture is just bigger overall.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i already made a thread about this

is the fucking worse

"this post will be gold once tros comes out!

hur dur fucking dur"