• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Played around with the Star Wars manga:

kiWpb.png

kidEF.png

k2XQA.png

OP
OP
KillLaCam

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yes, I believe so. I'm not making the argument that it isn't - just pointing out that it can be a stylistic choice too. However, even as a budget and time management choice the use of inking and screentone techniques are still necessary to make black and white images stand out and look good. There's a reason why you don't often see the use of screentones AND color together. Tones are usually used as a stand-in where colored or shaded areas might appear for example. The point is... most black and white manga are created to look good without the use of color in mind, and are never intended to be colored. That isn't to say that some manga haven't been successfully colored after the fact, or that some don't look better colored. There are examples of this as well. But a blanketed AI coloring tool being applied to classic work as an "improvement" rubs me the wrong way. Anyways I guess I'm done raining on the parade. The technology is neat. I just feel it's being misused in this manner. Now back to my rocking chair.
I haven't seen anyone claimed that this an improvement though. The tool is just meant to fill in basic sketches.
It was just interesting that an AI can attempt to fill in more detailed pictures. This is more about the AI than the quality of anything. I just chose manga because it was already black and white.

Last edited:

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This is really incredible. Now onto adapting anime from manga without the need for those pesky studios

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope none of the mangaka who drew the panels that have been used in this thread to test it, would look at the result of and go "yeah this is good, a few coloring tweaks and it's up to snuff"

You're talking about a group of people who deal with life crippling work loads and schedules, that may or may not pay off for them in any meaningful way. I'm pretty sure that they would make use of any tools/tricks that might make their life easier, or bring in some extra money.

Ultimately manga is not typically created with color in mind, so this will always be more of a novelty than an easy "improvement". However I can imagine that if the publisher or creator was able to make extra money selling colored version through this kind of technology, they would pursue it.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hah! This thing rules. I put in one of my own sketches and I think it colored it pretty well. The algorithm removed some key details that I can draw back in, but I love the colors.

My rough sketch:

v33G1Rj.png

The translation:

gIsR3uV.png

Going to experiment more with it. Thanks for the link, OP.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Oh fuck that Ringo Roadagain is dope as shittttt
Yea I was surprised as hell when it came out like that. I really dug how the colors came out on it. Shit looks dope.

Anyway tried playing around with the color placer feature. Really like how the red came out on Luffy. Though I'm not a fan of how orange his face is in comparison to his hand and chest.

The Dragon Ball pic was me messing around to see if I could get Freizas orbs to go purple but it ended up turning the backround purple instead lol. Goku's went a lot better. Though I thought I hit navy blue for him but it was really black.

5WXNBSr.png

YJ6cfyk.jpg

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about a group of people who deal with life crippling work loads and schedules, that may or may not pay off for them in any meaningful way. I'm pretty sure that they would make use of any tools/tricks that might make their life easier, or bring in some extra money.

Ultimately manga is not typically created with color in mind, so this will always be more of a novelty than an easy "improvement". However I can imagine that if the publisher or creator was able to make extra money selling colored version through this kind of technology, they would pursue it.

This is a completely separate argument from the coloring tool supposedly being good enough that a professional manga artist would think that they only need to apply a few tweaks afterwards before it's up to their standards.

And as you say yourself, manga isn't really a media with color in mind outside of a few panels once in a while. So the the argument that an ai coloring tool would make their lives easier isn't really true.

And again just as a reminder, I think it's a cool bit a tech. I just don't think it's that great at this point. 5 years from now could be a completely different story, who knows.

OP
OP
KillLaCam

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Hah! This thing rules. I put in one of my own sketches and I think it colored it pretty well. The algorithm removed some key details that I can draw back in, but I love the colors.

My rough sketch:

v33G1Rj.png

The translation:

gIsR3uV.png

Going to experiment more with it. Thanks for the link, OP.
That looks really cool

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to download my image once I've done. :S

Ah well, I have no idea how to get the direct image, so I just screencapped the results. This is from one of the more recent chapters of Boruto. It's pretty awesome, although I could have done a better job coloring it.

vivaldi_2019-01-02_21wdi2u.png

vivaldi_2019-01-02_22a4ix3.png

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Been trying to mess around with more JoJo panels but man it is not coming out nice. Gave Funny valentine a go as well as Giorno but they came out looking so meh I'd rather it stay forgotten. Think I'll try again in the morning with some new panels. Wanna test how well this tool can blend in similar colors to make images pop.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Yea I was surprised as hell when it came out like that. I really dug how the colors came out on it. Shit looks dope.

Anyway tried playing around with the color placer feature. Really like how the red came out on Luffy. Though I'm not a fan of how orange his face is in comparison to his hand and chest.

The Dragon Ball pic was me messing around to see if I could get Freizas orbs to go purple but it ended up turning the backround purple instead lol. Goku's went a lot better. Though I thought I hit navy blue for him but it was really black.

5WXNBSr.png

YJ6cfyk.jpg

These are so dope

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to download my image once I've done. :S

Ah well, I have no idea how to get the direct image, so I just screencapped the results. This is from one of the more recent chapters of Boruto. It's pretty awesome, although I could have done a better job coloring it.

vivaldi_2019-01-02_21wdi2u.png

vivaldi_2019-01-02_22a4ix3.png
wow that's still pretty great. The hair is off but everything else is solid af.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What i meant is being an artist. Would this be a shortcut for us making our job easier, or people would be doing their own thing and wont request for paid commissions as the app becomes more versatile/advanced and easier to use.
Who needs to pay for color if the machines do it just as well?

There's always going to be great artists who can do things machines can't but there's plenty of professional colorists turning in mediocre work.

If I'm a comic book publisher why would I pay a colorist for my mass-consumption newstand comics?