• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit I like this alot

MY HERO ACADEMIA SPOILERS

MpZuHIX.png

621a894bd63d09c6ef753c73de47d227.png

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I tried it on some of my own art. It's still relatively dumb in that it doesn't see connections between areas, but it can still figure out where an area ends even without strict lines. With a lot of fine tuning, it's a quick way to colour pictures that you otherwise wouldn't have bothered with.

Actually, a similar site was available years ago: Paintschainer. The major difference this has is that it can attempt lighting the picture, which is quite impressive even if it's rough. Figuring out how light falls on a body is one of the trickier things with colouring.

silver_AI_shaded.jpg

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm thinking this would be really useful if you separated your drawing into layers then fed each layer individually to have greater control/accuracy sometimes. Is there any way to download this or is it online only?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand what the obsession is for some to have black and white manga colored. Black and white manga looks cool and doesn't need coloring. Furthermore you are altering an artist's original work. In these examples all the subtlety of the screen tones, hatching, and black ink placement is lost. But it's colors... so cool, I guess.

Kind of missing the point. The cool thing about this is that the program is able to execute a fairly advanced task on its own. It's more about the automation being this advanced than the actual results, even though some of the coloured pictures looks fairly impressive as well.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand what the obsession is for some to have black and white manga colored. Black and white manga looks cool and doesn't need coloring. Furthermore you are altering an artist's original work. In these examples all the subtlety of the screen tones, hatching, and black ink placement is lost. But it's colors... so cool, I guess.
Because we live in a world of color not black and white

Oct 26, 2017
Is this related to the Atlus game?
Yeah they made a manga of Maken X that had a different approach to the game but also expanded some details that was cut out.
I watched this and I was like "wtf, I don't remember breast feeding at the end if grapes of wrath", but then I remembered I only watched the movie version, film audiences of the 40s probably weren't ready for that. shit, they still aren't
I had to read the book, but it was mostly long and boring, so for me that was the only good part of the book. It was a very unique predicament. What happened in the end of the movie version?

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What was that creepy body horror comic book that featured a 'meat carpet' or something like that? A user made a thread about it long ago on either GAF or Era. Would like to see those go through this.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Man this is amazing. Really looking forward to what it can achieve in skilled hands in the near future.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Well you're the artist here, so you'd know better than me, but I always thought that manga is (usually) still in black & white less as a stylistic choice and more due to limitations that western comic book artists didn't have like more insane deadlines and lower quality print paper. Or maybe that's just how it started and it's now a stylistic choice to keep publishing in black & white even when these limitations no longer exist.

I wager it's a bit of both these days. Print manga and anthologies are still a thing in Japan, so are costs. However the look of black and white manga has become both a stylistic choice and a technique - working with a limited value range and tones to describe form and shadow. Expertly drawn manga with high contrast and half-tones doesn't need anything else. It's the reason why none of the examples shown look better or improve on the original art. It's impressive that AI can color images sure, but the results are garish and only serve to flatten and diminish the work.

Yes, I realize I'm being a snob and nobody asked me in the first place, but I've heard the "this manga would be so much better if it were colored!" comment so many times that I have to believe part of the appeal of software like this is so fans can alter the works of others to their liking instead of enjoying it as the creator intended. At least that's where I see this heading. Anyways I'm going back to bed... I'm old and I'm cranky.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Technically, any output you get of a Jojo's bizarre adventure panel could be a possible canon colorization. Even that orange-fingered baby and the glowing eyes. All canon (or rather, no colors are canon, so everything is canon?).

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I'm thinking this would be really useful if you separated your drawing into layers then fed each layer individually to have greater control/accuracy sometimes. Is there any way to download this or is it online only?
There's a github page, so it's possible to clone the repository.

However, running the AI may require a lot of processing power.

You may be putting Peter Jackson out of a job.

They Shall Not Grow Old (2018) - IMDb

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this technique will allow artists to focus on line art in the future. Doesn't coloring take longest amount of time?

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017

Isn't Black and White manga a budget and timescale issue rather than a creative choice most of the time?

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Cool technology, but it's not at a stage where I think it works too well. Will be cool to see how good it will be 5 years from now
I disagree.

It cuts down the time it takes to color a page by half. The person coloring the page would only have to finish off the product with small tweaks.

This is a gamechanger imo.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Isn't Black and White manga a budget and timescale issue rather than a creative choice most of the time?

Yes, I believe so. I'm not making the argument that it isn't - just pointing out that it can be a stylistic choice too. However, even as a budget and time management choice the use of inking and screentone techniques are still necessary to make black and white images stand out and look good. There's a reason why you don't often see the use of screentones AND color together. Tones are usually used as a stand-in where colored or shaded areas might appear for example. The point is... most black and white manga are created to look good without the use of color in mind, and are never intended to be colored. That isn't to say that some manga haven't been successfully colored after the fact, or that some don't look better colored. There are examples of this as well. But a blanketed AI coloring tool being applied to classic work as an "improvement" rubs me the wrong way. Anyways I guess I'm done raining on the parade. The technology is neat. I just feel it's being misused in this manner. Now back to my rocking chair.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.

It cuts down the time it takes to color a page by half. The person coloring the page would only have to finish off the product with small tweaks.

This is a gamechanger imo.

I really hope none of the mangaka who drew the panels that have been used in this thread to test it, would look at the result of and go "yeah this is good, a few coloring tweaks and it's up to snuff"