• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
That's great! I just know that my greatest and most fond memory of Dark Souls is when I made it out of the depths of the world after what seemed like an age, I think it was when I wrapped around from Blighttown to Firelink shrine. It felt like an epic struggle. Realizing where I was and hearing that familiar music once again. It was like nothing else in gaming. It's too bad you can teleport from any bonfire from the get go in the other titles.

I really enjoy the world building, plot and sense of exploration in the souls series, and as a old dungeons and dragons nerd i see a lot of parallels between souls games and traditional pen and paper role playing games, from software are supremely talented.

My old man reflexes and a old hand injury kinda keep me from enjoying them fully because i just find them a bit too hard, mods are a perfect way for me to experience games that i might have been forced to skip otherwise.

OP, why do you believe you wouldn't have experienced the game without mods? Why did you give up at the face of adversity? Your defeatist attitude will do you no good in the real world.

Life is hard enough as it is mate, some people just play game for fun and relaxation, also why the 180?

Oct 31, 2017
OP, why do you believe you wouldn't have experienced the game without mods? Why did you give up at the face of adversity? Your defeatist attitude will do you no good in the real world.

Are you ok?

Your last post here was saying "you are right I apologize for my comment" to OP saying "I wouldn't have experienced the game at all" and then you did a complete 180 and now you are basically saying if you can't put in a lot of effort into a video game you aren't able to do the same in the real world. Make up your mind and own up to your words.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Are you ok?

Your last post here was saying "you are right I apologize for my comment" to OP saying "I wouldn't have experienced the game at all" and then you did a complete 180 and now you are basically saying if you can't put in a lot of effort into a video game you aren't able to do the same in the real world. Make up your mind and own up to your words.

I just apologized for that one comment. I stand by the rest.

OP
OP
newmoneytrash

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
because i played 10 hours of it and didn't like it. this isn't a defeatist attitude at all. instead it's identifying a situation i wasn't enjoying and turning it into a more enjoyable experience

i said i originally fell off of sekiro not because it was hard but because it wasn't fun for me

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
because i played 10 hours of it and didn't like it. this isn't a defeatist attitude at all. instead it's identifying a situation i wasn't enjoying and turning it into a more enjoyable experience

i said i originally fell off of sekiro not because it was hard but because it wasn't fun for me

Fair enough. I apologize.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not what I would do but glad you managed to make it a fun experience for yourself!

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought there's a weird inner contradiction in From games' refusal for options. People say that the reason is that From wants to give a specific "vision" which will be compromised with customized difficulty, but that's missing the point that each person has different attributes that affect his experience like reaction time, hand-eye coordination, experience with action games, ability to focus for long periods, or whatever. If From truly wanted everyone to have the same experience then they would have to tailor the game for people who have a slower reaction time by slowing down animations slightly, allow colorblind options, allow to pause, etc.

Say two people (let's say neither has major disabilities, because that's a different argument) beat Sekiro, one of them had a super difficult time due to slower cognitive abilities, trying every fight over and over and grinding for drops and cheesing everything he could cheese slowly and thoroughly. And the other just breezed through the game by being innately talented with action games. Is it intentional that they had such different experiences? Are both of their experiences "correct Sekiro experiences" of From's "vision"? If so why can't the first person access the second person's experience?

It's almost as if that entire line of argument is specious!

Oct 31, 2017
I just apologized for that one comment. I stand by the rest.

Yeah so you didn't really mean your apology and you're totally still going to be condescending, all because he doesn't want to put in tons of effort into a video game. Yeah I'm gonna try to not reply to you anymore even if you do 50 more 180's and fake apologies.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just replayed sekiro during Christmas break with normal settings and it was super duper fun as hell

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
FOMO is strong with these games for whatever reason.

I don't know how easy or hard it is to mod a game, but I certainly wouldn't bother if it was a game that I've already tried playing and didn't like.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My personal easy mode was unlocked in NG+ where I beat the game in like 2 hours because I knew every shortcut, strategy, and mastered the combat system. It felt good.

ProfessorRad

Oct 1, 2019
Does this work on existing saves ? I'm a little past the headless monkey boss and put it down since release. Just felt like a slog of a game. This could help ... but I don't want to start over.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear you enjoyed it OP, I generally go the Infinite HP route myself at least at launch since God Mode is usually one of the first mods to popup. Sekiro really is a fantastic game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
For literally anyone even remotely bothered by this self reflect on your sense of self worth and how it somehow got related to video games.

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.
I still cannot understand what the risk is in this context.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Who the hell cares about how other people enjoy the game? Jesus, just let them do what they want with the game, it's singleplayer. No need to get mad.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I played this game legit for 40 hrs. Got to the end and just couldnt take it anymore (because every boss seemed to take me 1+ hour to master). Turned on Cheat Engine to finish it off. Better to finish the game with cheats rather than never see the content at all. 40 hrs is pretty much the end of my patience for any game unless I'm really, really into the game

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
If from soft focus on a Easy mode then theyll lose focus on making a good balance game. Games are revolved around a budget and like always I prefer from software to focus all their budget on a balance difficult mode than splitting the game with an easy mode.
Ever play Ninja Gaiden Black?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Actually you didn't play Sekiro unless you died to every boss 40 times and memorized each and every one one of their attacks to the point that dodging and attacking was reduced to a tedious rhythm game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah Cheat Engine is dirt easy to use. There's pretty much a cheat table for any game on PC.

Well, damn I guess.

Seeing how there is mods for pretty much any popular pc game, i'd say many, why does this bother you?

Good question, I would say there's something about needing to go out of your way to enjoy a game and completing a game after initially not liking it and just dump it like any other game.

Of course that was my assumption that these things are troublesome to do, but if they're all super easy and effortless than I guess that point is moot.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Are they all easy to implement like cheat codes? Or do you need some technical know-how to pull them off?

Just copy and paste?

Hot damn, nothing is sacred anymore!

1a15c4097bda03068a0675daceb70c73.jpg

Anymore?

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you had fun OP and found a way to enjoy the game.

All of these changes obviously make the game much, much easier and, honestly, it's super fun! I'm not going to say that I had an equal experience to all of the people who got through the game as it was intended, but the difficulty didn't entirely rob me of what the Sekiro experience has to offer. It's significantly easier, but you still need to engage with the systems and strategies of the game. There are times when you still need to parry, you obviously will still need to lightening dodge and dodge in general. You're not invincible and, while I only died a handful of times, you can still definitely die.
That said I don't entirely agree with the point that you made in the bolded part. Watching your video I just don't think thats true, you were able to ignore major mechanics like the Mikiri Counter and you never had to try and reflect the lightning back either. It also looked like you never really had to learn how to parry properly (which I think you admitted as well). I'm in no way trying to be a gatekeeper I just don't like the idea of an easy mode mod making it so you can ignore major game mechanics and I feel that takes away from the intended design of the combat so you still get a lesser experience overall (even if its something you still enjoyed). I think there would be ways to make the game easier without making it so you can just ignore major mechanics. Not saying thats your fault or that you had that option and again I'm glad this worked for you and you had a lot of fun with the game after trying this mod, thats great.

To further expand on the point I'm attempting to make here in regards to difficulty, I'm reminded of one of my favorite action RPGs Kingdom Hearts 2. KH2 has difficulty modes including a fairly challenging mode called Critical. If you played KH2 on Easy, normal, or Proud you can certainly have fun with the game but a lot of people come away with an opinion of that you can just 'button mash' to win and/or that they didn't like the combat. Yet those who played Critical generally come away with a completely different feeling because Critical is designed much in the way Sekiro and other FS games are designed in that the game is difficult and you have to learn how to use the mechanics of the game properly in order to succeed. Critical in KH2 makes it so you have to learn how to use guard, use magic and other abilities properly and if you don't you will die, a lot. Once you learn how to play the game properly though it really becomes a much more enjoyable experience and the combat shines and it honestly plays like a completely different game.

I just think theres something to be said about the idea of Difficulty in games like these, in the case of KH2 the lower difficulty modes let you ignore the games mechanics and because of that people actually come away with a negative impression of the game. Now granted Sekiro is a much more challenging game then KH2's critical mode is (for the most part anyway) but I do think that designing a games difficulty isn't just about making a game easier to make it so everyone can play it, I mean you can certainly do that but you have a situation like KH2 which when you remove the need to learn the games mechanics the combat itself can't shine and I have to wonder if Sekiro had difficulty modes if the same thing might have happened.

Overall I think the whole issue is a lot more complicated then I think people give it credit for. Just my perspective on the whole thing, glad you enjoyed Sekiro OP!

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Ever play Ninja Gaiden Black?

Thank you for this, ninja gaiden is a perfect example of a game where the default difficulty level is hard but with an easier option for those who want it and even harder difficulty levels for those want them, it's almost like having more options is a good thing, weird how that works.

Good question, I would say there's something about needing to go out of your way to enjoy a game and completing a game after initially not liking it and just dump it like any other game.

Of course that was my assumption that these things are troublesome to do, but if they're all super easy and effortless than I guess that point is moot.

It kinda depends on the game but there are mod managers that you can install for most games that make it super easy and convenient, you can still mess games up by installing too many mods but overall it is a lot easier than it used to be.

The mod scene has really exploded the last 10 years, it is the main reason for me mostly playing on pc, it lets you enjoy games on your own terms in a way that console games can't.

https://www.nexusmods.com/ Is a fantastic recourse for anyone looking for mods, i highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Hahaha came into this thread expecting to see idiots whining at the OP. Not disappointed. Stay being fucking stupid man children.

Sounds awesome OP, literally no reason in the world not to play something your way and enjoy it. Life is too short to waste it not having fun.

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I like the adjustment to spirit emblems. I threw in the towel on the final boss because I didn't want to go farm more emblems.