• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Was that the devs intention? Overcoming challenges is what Miyazaki wants the player to do. Do you realize FromSoft is intentionally omiting difficulty modes or are you under the impression they can't implement them?

I feel like this is the same discussion whenever people want FromSoft to include an easy mode. They carved out a niche for themselves and are incredibly successful right now.

I firmly believe Dark Souls would never have been a big hit if it had an easy mode.
Ok, so what does that have to do with how the OP played it? People play games to have fun first and foremost, if there's something that makes it more fun for them why not let them do it? Doesn't take away from anyone else who played it, and now maybe OP has some practice now and would want to try it without the mods. Who knows? Let people enjoy games.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh boy i have been going through the replies in this thread and wow.

Seriously to the hardcore souls fans posting here, this is why you have a reputation of being obnoxious, this isn't a thread asking for difficulty levels in souls games, this isn't a thread complaining about difficulty in souls games, this is a thread about a person finding a way to enjoy a game on his own terms by using a mod.

Instead of going "oh hey this person had fun with this game, good for you" you decided to be condescending pricks about it, why even post in this thread if you were just going to rag on op, him modding the game has no bearing on your enjoyment of the souls series, get over yourselves.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Imma try this mod tonight. Hope I don't get arrested by the pro gamer-police. Wish me luck.

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
OP is basically using game shark to get all level 99 and max ultra pokeballs. But hey if he has no shame in that then who cares? You just can't expect GameFreak to allow an official "start all pokemon at max level" option in the next Pokémon game just like you should never expect an invincible mod in From games. If you need it, do what OP did instead of typing gatekeeping 30 times on a forum.
Imagine posting on a forum using an alt and not getting banned on the first one like the creators intended.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Try the moves you select dont matter and all the pokemon you catch start at 99 for a more fair comparison.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I feel like when posters start bringing up a developers intended vision, I'm not gonna pick and choose what is a fair comparison. You're either abusing the mechanics, or you're not...no?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Anyone know if Dark Souls 1-3 ever got easy mode mods such as this? Because last time i checked there weren't any, just game trainers which isn't necessarily the same thing.

Oct 25, 2017
The current PS4 Sekiro completion rate is exactly 24,4%. Boot up your PS4 and check.

The one for DS Remastered should be in the low 40% (there are 2 endings, so we can´t know for sure) as the bosses right before have a 40% completion and the ending portion after them is a cakewalk.
BB´s seems to be somewhere in the 20% too (there are 3 endings) which is weird as that game ain´t that hard.
Again, Witcher 3 is at 25.5%, Nier Automata at 19.9%. Completion rate has nothing to do with difficulty. People just lose interest.

Unless you think Dark Souls is easier than Witcher 3 and Nier Automata on the easiest setting.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Was that the devs intention? Overcoming challenges is what Miyazaki wants the player to do. Do you realize FromSoft is intentionally ommiting difficulty modes or are you under the impression they can't implement them?

I feel like this is the same discussion whenever people want FromSoft to include an easy mode. They carved out a niche for themselves and are incredibly successful right now.

I firmly believe Dark Souls would never have been a big hit if it had an easy mode.
You seem to think I care about the developer's intent at all (I made a topic on this already; the developer's intent is fleeting bullshit to me). That's the point of my metaphor.

Whether or not FromSoft includes easy modes isn't really my concern. It's their game; they can do what they want to do as developers. If they don't want to, okay.

What I'm trying to figure out why anyone is offended by a difficulty mod in a single player game. No one in this thread will ever have to deal with the consequences of someone else beating Sekiro or whatever else on easy mode. If someone wants to break the game, let them. The vision of the director is meaningless. Besides, I deal with fucking aimbot bullshit in Overwatch with more class and maturity than some of the stuff I'm reading in here, and that actually affects my ranking.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's why I love PC gaming, you play the games how YOU want them to be played. I use to love Souls game, but I just don't have time to play them with how difficult they are. I love the appeal of the brutal hard difficulty, but I just don't have the time to invest in that kind of game anymore. Any easy mode/mod is a great way for other folks to enjoy the game. I may check it out myself.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
That's the joy of PC gaming, taking a game and modifying it however you want. You bought the game and modified it in a way that made you play it more, even if you found the mod you were using to be a bit too easy. People going out of their way to make sure the OP knows that they think it isn't "authentic" is silly and it's just a way for people to try to shame the OP for playing it in a way that he wanted to.

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously to the hardcore souls fans posting here, this is why you have a reputation of being obnoxious, this isn't a thread asking for difficulty levels in souls games, this isn't a thread complaining about difficulty in souls games, this is a thread about a person finding a way to enjoy a game on his own terms by using a mod.

Instead of going "oh hey this person had fun with this game, good for you" you decided to be condescending pricks about it, why even post in this thread if you were just going to rag on op, him modding the game has no bearing on your enjoyment of the souls series, get over yourselves.
Did you actually read the OP? They do say that their experience is evidence that there should be an easy mode implemented by From.

This isn't just "hey, I beat Sekiro using mods, AMA". The difficulty discussion was brought up in the very first post.

From the OP:

When Sekiro was released the 'FromSoft games should have an easy mode' discourse spun up again. Especially because this game doesn't have any real online components. There's not co-op or invasions, so why *isn't* it there? After playing through the game with this mod I feel even more convinced that those modes *should* be there.

Again, no reason to be condescending pricks about it, no one should ever offend the OP for playing the game however they want, and modding is part of the beauty of PC Gaming, I love it. But don't be disingenuous saying "this isn't even a thread about difficulty levels!", because it's exactly that.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Ok, so what does that have to do with how the OP played it? People play games to have fun first and foremost, if there's something that makes it more fun for them why not let them do it? Doesn't take away from anyone else who played it, and now maybe OP has some practice now and would want to try it without the mods. Who knows? Let people enjoy games.

No one is saying they can't or shouldn't. I also believe saying he didn't beat Sekiro is a bit pedantic but it doesn't change the fact that it's a true statement. Difficulty is a big part of Souls games. This mod removes it completely. There is no tension at all. OP beat the final boss on his first try while completely ignoring crucial game mechanics the game practically beats into you during the first few hours with minibosses and popup messages.

Just to reiterate, I have nothing against OP. He can do whatever he wants with the game he bought but I don't agree that he beat Sekiro. He beat a modded version of the game. And thats ok.

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
No one is saying they can't or shouldn't. I also believe saying he didn't beat Sekiro is a bit pedantic but it doesn't change the fact that it's a true statement. Difficulty is a big part of Souls games. This mod removes it completely. There is no tension at all. OP beat the final boss on his first try while completely ignoring crucial game mechanics the game practically beats into you during the first few hours with minibosses and popup messages.

Just to reiterate, I have nothing against OP. He can do whatever he wants with the game he bought but I don't agree that he beat Sekiro. He beat a modded version of the game.
I guess my point is what is the point of the pedantry? If you beat the game normally, then good for you. I haven't played Sekiro but I've beaten several of the Souls games and I don't feel the need to come in here and add some sort of asterisk to the OP's experience.

Will the OP be able to have the same discussions around the challenges they had to overcome to beat a boss? Probably not. So they'll miss out on that sort of discussion. But if they had fun, I don't see why there is this need for people to just dump on them because they want to feel better than them. I suck at RTS games - i would never have finished Warcraft 2 and the expansion without using some of the cheat codes. Did I have fun? Absolutely.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

Just to reiterate, I have nothing against OP. He can do whatever he wants with the game he bought but I don't agree that he beat Sekiro. He beat a modded version of the game. And thats ok.

I am curious about something, since this was actually something i struggled with when making my goty top 10 here. I beat Sekiro with cheatengine changing the values (not as severe as OP, more stuff like 33 % more damage, but changed it nonetheless). I disliked Sekiro without those tweaks, but really liked it with the tweaks and put it on my goty list.

In your opinion, should I have put Sekiro on my goty list or not, since technically I played "modded sekiro" (which is not a legit option to put on your goty list so would have been disqualified).

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
No one is saying they can't or shouldn't. I also believe saying he didn't beat Sekiro is a bit pedantic but it doesn't change the fact that it's a true statement.
What in the world are you talking about? You literally just made up constitutes real Sekiro and what constitutes fake Sekiro based on nothing but your own personal criteria and you're acting as if it's some objective truth?
A modified version of Sekiro is literally a version of Sekiro. It's not a version of Mario. He played Sekiro and he beat it. Why can't you accept this? Do you think every review of Sekiro done with a modified version should be listed as a different game?

Sekiro Metatcritic: 80
Sekiro with Turbo Mod Metacritic: 100
Imagine the madness.

YOUarcade

Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm only a tad salty because I've currently been on the last boss for a few days. I'm making progress, but not quite there yet. To hear someone beat him in one try just doesn't sit right with me at the moment.

Having said that, I'm glad you got to play the game and enjoy it. It's such an amazing game that deserves the praise.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I am curious about something, since this was actually something i struggled with when making my goty top 10 here. I beat Sekiro with cheatengine changing the values (not as severe as OP, more stuff like 33 % more damage, but changed it nonetheless). I disliked Sekiro without those tweaks, but really liked it with the tweaks and put it on my goty list.

In your opinion, should I have put Sekiro on my goty list or not, since technically I played "modded sekiro" (which is not a legit option to put on your goty list so would have been disqualified).
of course it can be one of your games of the year. there is no "legitimate" GOTY or something.
you enjoying a game and it being one of your most enjoyable experiences in a year does not need some kind of "seal of approval" cause it is your own personal opinion and experience and doesn't impact anyone, at all, ever.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you had fun with cheat codes lol

Amazing how very specific framing can make a thread blow up

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Sure my experience wasn't the experience that FromSoft intended, it wasn't the difficult experience that these games are known and loved for. My experience isn't entirely equal to others' I guess. But without this mode I just wouldn't have had that experience at all, and I'm glad that I did.
tenor.gif

Watching your fight (I wish it wasn't) against Ishin was cringy. Not only you can't do the basic mechanics that the game teaches you, it looked like you took no effort to study the boss. All those frantic dodges... this game ain't souls, you gotta block. Also I was half expecting the easy mode to be something like Ishin would do less moves or the like, turns out it was just a health/damage adjustment, which is great! since you can still learn and appreciate the boss. In fact I would advice OP to learn in easy mod and then attempt him on default difficulty, granted the experience will not be as much rewarding but hey it may be fun!

Its like if chef ramsay made this amazing wellington and you just ate the dough because it tasted good, or you are trying to take a medical school test and changing the questions to "what is cell" and considering it as passing. Honestly I gotta thank folks like OP that made me realize how if From put a easy mode, most wouldn't appreciate say the amazing animations, knowledge and attacks of a boss that From painstakingly took to design. I guess if they implemented an easy mode then their job would be much easier since they don't have to design such intricate bosses and at that point it can be an easy cash grab, just as Miyazaki intended/s.

In other obvious news, modding is amazing and the boss rush mode for this game is sublime.

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

You just can't let it go he played it with a mod can you? Like get over yourself, his experience did not diminish yours.

Oct 25, 2017

This is obviously only up to you, but you should probably add that disclaimer when explaining your picks along with the pick itself.

Not in a "I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT PLAYING IT PROPERLY :(" way, but more in a "the game as it was designed actually wasn't enjoyable to me, here's what I did with it to turn it into a top 10 of 2019 game". Kind of like when a lot of people say "vanilla Skyrim is trash, but it's great with mods". Which is not something I personally agree with, never even played heavily modded Skyrim and I love the game, but it is a qualifier that always comes with positive opinions about the game by people who didn't enjoy the original experience.

Personally, I wouldn't rank a game that I only enjoyed due to mods in a top 10 of anything, because it wasn't the devs' vision that I enjoyed, it was me trying to not feel like I wasted money that lead me to enjoy it. Not to mention, any console players reading my recommendation without this qualifier and deciding to get the game because of it would actually be buying a product I don't recommend at all.

But again, this is obviously entirely subjective, just thought it was an interesting point of discussion and decided to join in.

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019

Why does my opinion matter for your goty list?

Put it up there I guess because I never said a modded version is inferior in any way. I just said it's not the original game the developers released. You patched in your own shit and thats fine.

You just can't let it go he played it with a mod can you? Like get over yourself, his experience did not diminish yours.

Get over myself? I am just stating my opinion. Does it bother you that much? Hit the ignore button.

Oct 31, 2017

There's no point in engaging with that poster. I've pointed out that exact same thing 2-3 times already and it was completely ignored. He won't be satisfied until OP says "you're right Coda, I didn't beat Sekiro since I didn't put in any of the time or effort you did. I beat Sekiro: PATHETIC BABY PISS EASY SCRUB (ANTI-DEVELOPER'S VISION) Edition"

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Sigrun n the other valks from my understanding have the stat stuff normalized. There is no RPGing out of those fights, you flat out gotta learn their moves and attack.

You can have certain perks, but raw damage n take damage is kept in check.

Interesting. That fight was just too long then. It did not hold my interest after the other 8 challenge fights.

Scary_Larry

Banned
Jan 3, 2019

We have a bingo! And to top off the regular obnoxious attitude that the die-hards have with the series was even more compounded when people found out you couldn't summon in this one like the others.

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019
There's no point in engaging with that poster. I've pointed out that exact same thing 2-3 times already and it was completely ignored. He won't be satisfied until OP says "you're right Coda, I didn't beat Sekiro since I didn't put in any of the time or effort you did. I beat Sekiro: PATHETIC BABY PISS EASY SCRUB Edition"

The OP doesn't owe me any explanation lol. You seem to be under the impression that I am frothing at the mouth because people mod their games. I don't care either way. He can call it whatever he wants. But it's not the Sekiro the devs released because he altered the game files.

Oct 31, 2017
The OP doesn't owe me any explanation lol. You seem to be under the impression that I am frothing at the mouth because people mod their games. I don't care either way. He can call it whatever he wants. But it's not the Sekiro the devs released because he altered the game files.

He said he beat Sekiro with an Easy mode mod. What more do you want? You clearly DO care.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Gbraga´s number are bogus. Sekiro is at 24,4% completion. To compare the randomly given numbers:
TW 3 GOTY, a 100-hour campaign to many, has a completion rate of 29,3%. TW 3 vanilla is 29,7%. Persona 5 Vanilla has a completion rate of 33,5% to give another 100-hour example. Nier Automata has a completion rate of 25,7% BUT ending C that comes right before has 34,6% with its counterpart ending D having 29,7%. Some gamer likely assumed that they saw the ending with one of them, which I get, and ending D is further a clear negative outcome.
Source: My current PS profile from my PS4 Pro

That said. The usual Souls is a Rite of Passage TM nonsense this de-evolved into is and always has been a load of wank. The difficulty never made any of these games good. Reducing them to how hard they are and how finishing them made you a True Gamer TM is one of the biggest disservices you could give to the From teams.
These aren´t even the hardest genre in gaming.

PS: NG 1 and 2 on the Vita have abysmal completion rates but that´s what PS+ and years or rampant Vita piracy will do to you.

Last edited:

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Sounds awesome, OP. I may have to do that myself.

This thread is yet another example of how difficulty (accessibility) still has a long way to go in games. There are people in here saying with a straight face that he "didn't play it" and to not call it Sekiro. It's hilarious. OP posted in great detail about how the "easy mode" made the game more accessible and more fulfilling to him, and guess what - it didn't ruin anyone else's experience with the game.

Congrats on beating Sekiro, OP.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Why didnt it just make you invincible. That is basically what it did anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, in terms of changes to the intended experience I recommend to anyone, first of all get mod engine, that will skip every intro logo for you, this is a must for games I replay as much as From games. Another easy one is the one that removes pop up tutorials, this one:

Thankfully, the game doesn't display them on NG+ playthroughs, but if you want to start a new save for whatever reason (I still hold on a little hope of a DLC with my NG+3 save, and don't want to go further with it), this is really helpful. The pop up tutorials in Sekiro are extremely intrusive, and even redundant when they repeat information that was already conveyed in-universe, through NPC dialogue or interactible scrolls in the environment.

It was their intended experience, though, and Miyazaki was talking about them positively when he went on about the things Activision helped in development, but yeah, I hate them.

Hoping Elden Ring is more like the others in that aspect. But if it's not, then I hope someone else mods that game.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Interesting. That fight was just too long then. It did not hold my interest after the other 8 challenge fights.
Yeah don't remember where I read that, want to say it's a Barlog interview where he was asked about the Sigrun stuff and which member of his team was in charge of that stuff.

Personally I stopped grinding, and didn't get the super decked out gear and was able to take her down.

Last edited:

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Sounds awesome, OP. I may have to do that myself.

This thread is yet another example of how difficulty (accessibility) still has a long way to go in games. There are people in here saying with a straight face that he "didn't play it" and to not call it Sekiro. It's hilarious. OP posted in great detail about how the "easy mode" made the game more accessible and more fulfilling to him, and guess what - it didn't ruin anyone else's experience with the game.

Congrats on beating Sekiro, OP.

It ruined his experience though, even if he doesn't realize it.

Oct 25, 2017
Gbraga´s number are bogus.
TW 3 GOTY, a 100-hour campaign to many, has a completion rate of 29,3%. TW 3 vanilla is 29,7%. Persona 5 Vanilla has a completion rate of 33,5% to give another 100-hour example. Nier Automata has a completion rate of 25,7% BUT ending C that comes right before has 34,6% with it´s counterpart having 29,7%. Some gamer likely assumed that they saw the ending with one of them, which I get. Source: My current PS profile from my PS4 Pro

That said. The usual Souls is a Rite of Passage TM nonsense this de-evolved into is and always has been a load of wank. The difficulty never made any of these games good. Reducing them to how hard they are and how finishing them made you a True Gamer TM is one of the biggest disservices you could give to the From teams.
These aren´t even the hardest genre in gaming.

PS: NG 1 and 2 on the Vita have abysmal completion rates but that´s what PS+ and years or rampant Vita piracy will do to you.
They're Steam numbers, but they're entirely accurate, I checked myself before posting.

Completely agree about the difficulty being overstated, though. I wish it wasn't, as it drives away people who actually beat much harder games because they think they're not capable of beating "that super hard game".

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It's hilarious to me because Souls fans basically say "WITHOUT DIFFICULTY THE GAME IS NOTHING." I've recently seen someone say that the games would be nothing but "mediocre action games" without the punishing difficulty.

The games are more than just the difficulty. There's the visuals, the art, the music, the atmosphere, the exploration, etc...
Yeah this. Bloodborne is such an evocative game full of amazing visuals sound and atmosphere. But I don't have hours of time or superb reactions so I guess I just can't partake in it at all besides watching other people play. It's sucks a little for sure.

I can imagine other developers could have stuck to their guns with whatever games they make and there could be the same hardcore fan base who would say the same thing. "No you cannot complete Uncharted or TLOU unless you have the reactions of an online FPS champion!" But those developers don't artificially make their game ludicrously difficult and unapproachable.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Action game players don't like being told "no." Even when these debates centered on Souls games and fans tried to help out with suggestions like raising your vit to 30, summoning, etc. some folks just want the game to be easy in every situation. You don't see it from strategy, sim, or fighting game players so much (quite the opposite in the case of the latter, actually).

Most strategy games have a ton of options to customize the difficulty, you can play Civ, AoE, Crusader Kings etc. the way you want without mods.

Fighting games are online, so there's no way. But "story mode" is usually easy.

Oct 31, 2017

Omfg no it didn't. Not everyone wants to put in a shitload of time, energy, and effort into a game. To some people, that's not fun. I'm pretty sure whoever uses this Easy mode mod would have never played it or beat it otherwise. There's still plenty of reasons for someone to enjoy the game. I'm sure the combat is still fun, and hits still sound and feel satisfying. I'm sure the exploration is still fun. I'm sure the art and visuals are still great. I'm sure the atmosphere is still enchanting. You don't need to put effort into a game like it's the LSAT to enjoy it.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
There's no point in engaging with that poster. I've pointed out that exact same thing 2-3 times already and it was completely ignored. He won't be satisfied until OP says "you're right Coda, I didn't beat Sekiro since I didn't put in any of the time or effort you did. I beat Sekiro: PATHETIC BABY PISS EASY SCRUB (ANTI-DEVELOPER'S VISION) Edition"
Seems that way. He is even trying tell he ruined his experience.

Why would i want to ignore comments like these?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Good for you OP! This way you atleast finished it once as opposed to never finishing it.