• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My objection to this isn't "That's not a valid way to play because everyone should git gud," but rather, "That looks like a bad version of Sekiro." And while more sales for From would mean more games, the game's already sell a boatload, and it also risks sending the message of "Players want more of this bad stuff, so make the game like that."

Nonsense. If it sells well already, then mods like this just show there's a market for both, not a shift to making the whole game just easier for everyone.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Oddly enough, I liked Sekiro's difficulty more than other Souls games, because the combat is really fast and polished.

I'd much prefer a Dark Souls easy mode, since I really like the general design in that game but am not a fan of the combat.

om_devan

May 14, 2018
I applaud you OP.
rather than whining & demanding FromSoft to add difficulty setting, you took real action by installing a mod.
so the moral of the story is, get the PC version.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Every single player game should have custom difficulty options. Let people enjoy the game they want.

Invisible-Inc_-Console-Edition_20160413150507.jpg

Crusader%20Kings%20II%20-%20Rules%2001.jpg
But then how can you brag that you've beaten a game?! People would need to know all your settings to understand how awesome you actually are.
/s

I fully agree. One of the things Shadow of the Tomb Raider got right, if you wanted more exploration you could tweak the game to get that, if you hated the exploration and wanted action you could tweak the game for that preference as well.

Generally speaking, a dynamic difficulty setting that can be changed at any time usually work out fine, then you can flip it over to easy when you're feeling that you're not actually enjoying the game anymore and just want to get through that extremely difficult area, then you can flip over to normal or hard again afterwards and keep on enjoying the game.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played Resident Evil 2 Remake with infinite ammo, probably my GOTY last year.

Play how you want.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought there's a weird inner contradiction in From games' refusal for options. People say that the reason is that From wants to give a specific "vision" which will be compromised with customized difficulty, but that's missing the point that each person has different attributes that affect his experience like reaction time, hand-eye coordination, experience with action games, ability to focus for long periods, or whatever. If From truly wanted everyone to have the same experience then they would have to tailor the game for people who have a slower reaction time by slowing down animations slightly, allow colorblind options, allow to pause, etc.

Say two people (let's say neither has major disabilities, because that's a different argument) beat Sekiro, one of them had a super difficult time due to slower cognitive abilities, trying every fight over and over and grinding for drops and cheesing everything he could cheese slowly and thoroughly. And the other just breezed through the game by being innately talented with action games. Is it intentional that they had such different experiences? Are both of their experiences "correct Sekiro experiences" of From's "vision"? If so why can't the first person access the second person's experience?
This is what I've said in the past, there is a reason multiplayer games with high skill ceiling are impenetrable to some people. It's because not everyone has the same level of reaction time and thought process, what's medium difficulty for you may be hard for me. It's not really possible to have difficulty in MP games, and reducing the ceiling there affects everyone...not so much in a single player game like Sekiro.

And those who are saying it'd take away tons of resources, these mods are made by one person. Surely From could come up with something more refined without having to spend tons of resources and time. I mean Sekiro already has two difficulties with the bell in the mountain area making the game harder by physically changing properties of enemies, an easier mode doesn't even need to do that and simply has to tweak damage numbers, so it's clear that they are capable of doing more than one difficulty. It's also clear that they are capable of doing different parry timings.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I am in the same boat as OP. I've played and finished all the souls games and Bloodborne and can probably count the number of times I've parried on one hand across all those games. I was really excited about Sekiro but I just did not enjoy the style of the combat at all and found it difficult to adjust. Would be down to try an easy mode where it's a bit more manageable

May 18, 2018
newmoneytrash

he experienced a hollow victory. nothing was risked and nothing was gained. it's sad you don't know the difference
This was perfect. Could not have been set up any better. Thank you. lmao

More seriously, I just stopped playing. It ended up being what I figured it would be: block block block block stab repeat. It was fun for a good while but then it wasn't.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Everyone should play the game the way they find it the more fun, regardless of the "Author's vision".
It's not the Author who's playing, it's you, so play as you like and enjoy yourself.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I don't mod often but when I do - I have a great time. Currently, Geralt can run around the map with auto-loot set to max and can clear monster guarded chests without actually having to kill the monster. He is that good at his job. Having an Equipment and Other Shit Encumbrance set to 9000, which of course you can go over naturally in-game, means you can carry everything you auto-pick up. Oils are auto-applied when a fight starts. Oh, and the loot drops from enemies has been buffed so there is more to auto-collect. Geralt is having a whale of a time quite frankly being the Great Rivian Hoover.

If you paid your own money for a game and you are playing it single-player and it has mods - have fun, my friend. Other peoples opinion on that is less than irrelevant.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Hot take: Instead of having difficulty selection, Sekiro should just be easier by default. Not as easy as your mod made it imo, but still.

Oct 26, 2017
It's telling that it is sometimes very hard in this thread to distinguish between people doing the meme and people saying basically the exact same thing (with slightly different wording) but are dead serious.
Well From Software's biggest fans are rather protective of their games so that doesn't quite shock me, albeit his was a word for word repeat of the meme

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
knowyourmeme.com

You Cheated Not Only the Game, But Yourself

You Cheated Not Only the Game, But Yourself refers to a viral tweet made by Twitter user @Fetusberry in which he criticized PC Gamer journalist James Davenport for resorting to cheats to beat the final boss in 2019 video game Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Starting in April 2019, the tweet has been...

Meme so everyone stops taking hydrophilic attack seriously.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, wow are you so bad even with "easy mode" on?

Still, congrats on being able to enjoy the game.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I'm glad you found a way to enjoy your purchase. The thing that sucks with digital games is you're stuck with them for better and worse.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
How embarrassing, but congratulations on finding a way to turn around a bad purchase!

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine what Mike Matei would think of this, lol.

That's the first thing I thought of when reading this too. Mike "accessibility options are cheats" Matei would be throwing a fit, haha.

Who gives a shit how you played the game. You paid for it and you're not online ruining anyone else's experience. Play it out you see fit and get your moneys worth.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I love Dark Souls trilogy, Bloodborne, Sekiro... I love them to death... But to me, the most fun they are is when you are way too overpowered and just wreck shit.
If FromSoftware were to include an easy mode (just make the ennemy deal less damage, while you make more damage), I would play this mode with absolutely no shame, and I would just say fuck off to anyone who would told me I didn't "play" the game.

Your mod must have been hella fun OP.
There's way, WAY more in those games than just the feeling of overcome difficulty. The ambiance, the feel of the weapons when you hit the ennemies, the design, the world building, the wonderful boss patterns, the music, the level design, the secrets hidden in the levels, the weird ass obscure optional quests... All of this, you can enjoy it with an easy mode.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
that's cool op. if anyone has an issue with how you played it, i'm not going to tell you the story of how I finished sekiro with a trainer.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's skill level is different so good for you that you at least try to play the game in some way rather than not playing at all.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Nope. It depends of the vision of the creator. Not every single game is made for everyone and it's perfectly fine.

Plus now you have mods that can make you at least finish the game. Like I said on a previous post, best of both worlds.
I disagree. Mods only work for people playing on PC. People playing on consoles are not afforded the same luxury. Everyone's experience when playing a game is already unique to themselves, that's the nature of games. Different graphical options, different languages, different paths chosen, different dialogue options, different items used in fights etc. Giving people more choice is just allowing more people to experience the game in a manner they enjoy it more.