• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
... and I really, really want to play through it again. I absolutely adored it.

Years ago, I played through the original Resident Evil with a friend at his house, having never owned a Playstation until the PS2 era. Resi 2 and 3 had therefore become games that I was informed by through pop culture, their various remakes in stuff like Darkside Chronicles etc, as well as references in the (ugh) movies and further other games.

So, a month before the Resident Evil 2 remake came out I played original Resi 2 and thought it was fantastic. I still love the camp, the tank controls, the puzzles etc. Though aged, all those things still felt great to me. And then the remake came out and I played it and of course loved it, but with a real newfound love and respect of the original Resi 2.

Resi 3 however was a different matter. I'm not sure what I can really constitute it to but my feelings on it over the years were that it wasn't especially great. That as a game originally developed as a spin-off that was then turned into a numbered entry in its last two months of development, it was therefore a compromised game on the whole. That it was too short and nowhere near ambitious like Resi 2 with its A's and B's and C's etc plotlines. That Nemesis was just a reskin of Mr. X and a chore to combat throughout the game.

Well... having played through it all over 9 hours for the first time a few days ago, I'm so glad to be wrong. I thought the game, frankly, was fucking fantastic. The things I loved about 2, like the tank controls and puzzles, are things that I still loved here. However, I had no idea about the choices system, which I thought was wonderful. I didn't realise that events in the story can play out differently depending on when you arrive at certain locations first, or late. I also didn't think the game was going to have good atmosphere because I heard for so long that it was more of an action game. Well, to be honest, between the original trilogy I honestly think Resident Evil 3 might have my favourite atmosphere of all three games.

All in all I was just really blown away by Nemesis. After so many years of treating it, from a distance, like a lesser experience the biggest surprise was how much I adored it, and how fresh it still felt, all these years later. And not only did I enjoy it so much, I also actually think I'm going to replay it one more time before the remake releases...

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The online crusade against RE3 is the weirdest thing.

People willfully calling it a spin off, or a RE2 retread (iT rEcYcLeS ThE PoLiCe StAtIoN) or inconsequential to the storyline (it actually advances it way more than 2?) has always bugged me.

3 is as much of an RE as 2 and 4. It features the final date of Racoon City which was what the series was about until anime guys with super powers started to appear, and has many varied locations and setpieces still shrouded in a horror atmosphere.

REmake 3 is gonna finally make it justice in the eyes of the public. And I couldn't be happier.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
People willfully calling it a spin off, or a RE2 retread (iT rEcYcLeS ThE PoLiCe StAtIoN)

This was also one of the biggest surprises for me. I'd heard the same thing for so long and once I was finished with the RPD I was like... wait... that's it? It was a really cool moment to revisit the police station but it was barely part of the game in the grand scheme of things. I loved that bit.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
The random nature of recovery items and ammo is the reason I don't like it.
I tend to never get health which screws me over if I get hit too much and need healing.

RE2 in comparison feels like a salad bar with all the herbs.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The
clock tower Nemesis battle
is legendary.

Youve been running away all this time? Hahaha no more.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The
clock tower Nemesis battle
is legendary.

Youve been running away all this time? Hahaha no more.

I was fascinated to learn recently that the game was originally planned to end there when it was Resident Evil 1.9. When the director was called into Mikami's office to discuss it becoming Resident Evil 3, they had just two months to expand the game out in the way they did, adding more locations.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
...which was what the series was about until anime guys with super powers started to appear

Yeah, if anything, re-familiarizing myself with the original games and this period of the franchise really was a reminder of how off the rails it started to becomes. I loved Code Veronica but even back when I played it on PS2 wasn't the biggest fan of Super Wesker.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't remember the game that well. I remember really liking the game and only finishing it once. I never actually finished RE2, but don't worry I made up for that with RE2 remake.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was fascinated to learn recently that the game was originally planned to end there when it was Resident Evil 1.9. When the director was called into Mikami's office to discuss it becoming Resident Evil 3, they had just two months to expand the game out in the way they did, adding more locations.

Is that so? It definitely gave off the false ending vibe. Especially on a first playthrough where it probably took a good few hours to get to that point.

It's also crazy how quick they could make changes like that back in the day, now it would mean delaying the game for a year.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Is that so? It definitely gave off the false ending vibe. Especially on a first playthrough where it probably took a good few hours to get to that point.

It's also crazy how quick they could make changes like that back in the day, now it would mean delaying the game for a year.

This was the article, which is a chapter from an upcoming book by Alex Aniel on the development history of Resident Evil:

www.polygon.com

Resident Evil 3 was a spinoff until Capcom changed its mind at the last minute

Look back at the making of Capcomā€™s 1999 hit

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It is my favorite RE to this date. I absolutely love the original game. Hopefully the remake can do it justice.

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite classic RE, but also the one I played first, so I never knew just how much of my appreciation of it was due to that. The Remake is looking pretty damn good, though, and has a lot of potential to be the best of this "Return to Horror Trilogy" of RE7, RE2 and RE3.

In my opinion:

Best Classic RE: 3
Best Action RE: 5
Best Horror RE: 7 at the moment, but hopefully 3 after it comes out

Didn't play enough of either Revelations game to do a spinoff ranking or something like that.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like RE3 a lot. RE2 is the better game but 3 has so many aspects to it that I love. Raccoon City, Jill, Carlos, Nemesis, Brad, the UBCS soldiers etc it's great. It's funny how it's always been seen as a lesser game to the rest of the series because it was originally a spin off. Sure it's shorter, but it's still a great game. Really excited for the remake.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Recently played through it again, and yeah, it holds up. Can't wait to see how they expand on the outdoor environments in particular in the remake.

And every time I go back to old-school RE games, I'm reminded of how perfect tank controls were for them, and come away with renewed confusion about why many people hate on them so much. The regular control option in the RE1 remake remaster was butt.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You have seen the light. RE3 was always better than 2 and the remake will be as well.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
It's my favorite classic RE, but also the one I played first, so I never knew just how much of my appreciation of it was due to that. The Remake is looking pretty damn good, though, and has a lot of potential to be the best of this "Return to Horror Trilogy" of RE7, RE2 and RE3.

In my opinion:

Best Classic RE: 3
Best Action RE: 5
Best Horror RE: 7 at the moment, but hopefully 3 after it comes out

Didn't play enough of either Revelations game to do a spinoff ranking or something like that.
I really don't think 3 will top 7 in terms of horror.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
My favorite Resident Evil for years. The first time I finished it on the PS1 I even taped it so I could show my friends later. Eventually I ended up finishing it many times more.

I'm really looking forward to the remake, day one buy for sure.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Best of the original trilogy. Probably the greatest "zombie outbreak" game in general. You get to explore Raccoon City proper, and it's a suitably dynamic and ever-evolving tangle of interconnected pathways teeming with danger. I played it for the first time a couple years back and honestly it didn't feel dated at all. Masterful stuff.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The last time RE was scary was the Regenerators in RE4. But that's OK, I think RE works fine as a tense horror-flavored superhero survivor series.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
or inconsequential to the storyline (it actually advances it way more than 2?)
I don't know about that. I mean obviously it's got some very crucial developments
(Jill getting infected and RC getting nuked have a huge impact on the story going forward)
but just the fact that 2 introduced characters like Leon, Claire, and Ada makes it a bit more integral story-wise, I'd say.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Oh yeah, I don't necessarily mean in terms of horror, just as a game overall. I didn't find 7 to be scary at all, personally, I just think it's a great game.
Some parts were scary to me, but mostly it was just a great atmospheric game. I loved the whole digging through the house to find stuff aspects of it and it led me to wanting to play more horror games like that. Layers of Fear comes to mind, though you can interact with literally every single drawer in that game (and there's an achievement encouraging it).

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth

People willfully calling it a spin off, or a RE2 retread (iT rEcYcLeS ThE PoLiCe StAtIoN) or inconsequential to the storyline (it actually advances it way more than 2?) has always bugged me.

3 is as much of an RE as 2 and 4. It features the final date of Racoon City which was what the series was about until anime guys with super powers started to appear, and has many varied locations and setpieces still shrouded in a horror atmosphere.

REmake 3 is gonna finally make it justice in the eyes of the public. And I couldn't be happier.

Well said Baccus!

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Best of the original trilogy. Probably the greatest "zombie outbreak" game in general. You get to explore Raccoon City proper, and it's a suitably dynamic and ever-evolving tangle of interconnected pathways teeming with danger. I played it for the first time a couple years back and honestly it didn't feel dated at all. Masterful stuff.

Yeah, it really didn't feel dated to me either. That's part of why I'm itching to play through again, but this time try and trigger some events differently.

Also, it REALLY gave me an old school survival horror appetite so I grabbed Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve too.......... and Evil Dead: Hail To The King (for my sins).

Via_Purifico

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you didn't listen to the misinformed info on the game and played it for yourself.
There's a lot more to it than some want to give it credit for.

Either they weren't paying attention or never played it at all cause for a game that came out so quickly it sure had a lot of new locations and weapons.

Capcom are underrated in terms of flipping around games back to back in the 90s and they seem to be getting back there with the RE Engine in terms of efficiency.

The city locales and Nemesis really made that game for me.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I loved RE3 to bits, I'm surprised no one here talked about the very first Mercenaries Mode yet!

I had such a blast playing through it with all the characters again and again and again! It makes it very dissapointing that Capcom is ditching it for the Multiplayer Mode in the Remake, after how RE2 showed a strong amount of respect to all the OG Modes from the OG game.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Small note, RE1.9 was Code Veronica, not RE3. RE3 was originally RE: Last Escape (hence all the references to it in-game.) :)

I recently replayed this for like... only the second time or so for my Survival of Horror retrospective, currently writing the article now actually. I really like 3 but it is very obvious that the post-Clock Tower stuff was added in a rush. The park and factory are super short and entering the factory requires a silly straight-line route from one end of the park to the other and back again.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Small note, RE1.9 was Code Veronica, not RE3. RE3 was originally RE: Last Escape (hence all the references to it in-game.) :)

Huh, weird. The excerpt I linked to on Polygon from the upcoming book keeps referring to it as 1.9:

Because it was intended to be a spinoff, Aoyama and Kawamura did not originally intend for "Resident Evil 1.9" to feature anyone from the first two games. Instead, it would focus on new characters. Early conceptual documents show illustrations for the characters that eventually were named Carlos Oliveira, Nicholai Ginovaef, and Mikhail Victor, all of whom were mercenaries working for Umbrella but otherwise unrelated to the S.T.A.R.S. members, or the cast from Resident Evil 2.

However, mid-way through development, the team was presented with an unexpected change. As a result of a change made to the story of Resident Evil CODE: Veronica, which was in development at the same time by a different team, Kawamura was allowed to change the story to incorporate Jill Valentine from the first game. "The story [of "Resident Evil 1.9"] was initially supposed to just be an escape chronicle from an infected Raccoon City, but after discussions with [Mikami] and [Aoyama], it was decided that instead of introducing a new character, Jill Valentine will play the role of the main character," Kawamura explained to enthusiast website Project Umbrella. The change immediately added more legitimacy to this spinoff, given Jill's popularity among Resident Evil fans. It also benefited the game by giving it a direct tie to the original game that was not there previously. Along with Nemesis, Jill would become a defining element in the game's identity, but the most impactful change to the game was yet to come.

Development of "Resident Evil 1.9" was, for the most part, free of the issues that plagued the first two games in the series. Aoyama's vision was to make a Resident Evil spinoff that was orthodox in some senses, and unique in others. Thanks to the familiarity of the Resident Evil 2 graphics and gameplay engine combined with a focused vision, the game was never in any danger of being canceled or rebooted. However, unlike the first two games, "Resident Evil 1.9" saw very substantial changes when its development was supposed to have been wrapping up, in summer 1999.

As development progressed, Kawamura fleshed out the story of "Resident Evil 1.9" so that it would act as a prequel to Resident Evil 2 during the first half before shifting timelines to take place immediately after Resident Evil 2 during the latter half. The project thus became the awkwardly titled "Resident Evil 1.9 + 2.1." The moniker began appearing in development materials during the second half of development.

Of course, "Resident Evil 1.9 + 2.1" was virtually unmarketable to game consumers, so in early 1999, the team settled on final names: "BIOHAZARD: LAST ESCAPE" for the Asian release and "Resident Evil: Nemesis" for North America and Europe. Capcom felt that the subtitles accurately reflected the content of the game. Both the "Nemesis" and "Last Escape" subtitles reference two different, yet related themes of the game's story. The former refers to the game's iconic villain, while the latter subtitle refers to Jill's "last" escape from the zombie-infested Raccoon City (in the sense that Jill could never return to the city ever again). The Asian and Western subtitles were different because Capcom's localizers were concerned that "Last Escape" did not sound like an appealing or natural phrase, while "Nemesis" was not a name commonly used for the antagonist in the Japanese localization at the time. (In fact, the "Nemesis" name was largely unused by Japanese gamers until the release of the Canadian-developed Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City in 2012.)

Oct 27, 2017

Agree with all of this. The pacing, focus and consistency of the original trilogy as a collective piece is amazing. I think that, and how self contained it feels, is really important given where this series has been and gone since.

REmake and RE2 Remake are the quintessential core of Resident Evil and I'm really pleased RE3 Remake looks like it'll do justice to rounding off the trilogy.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a perfect example of having an opinion based on other peoples opinions without actually playing a game.

You can tell a lot of people online come from this position.

Glad you enjoyed it so much, OP.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I finished my replay of it recently, and while I love the game I don't like it quite as much as 1 & 2. The level design isn't as strong, and I prefer the more isolated atmosphere of the prior two games (not that 3 doesn't have great atmosphere). Although I will say that I think RE3 definitely has a stronger final third than the other games, which tends to be a weak spot for most RE games. Hyped for the remake though, I could see that being better than REmake 2.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 101% sure that people that keep shitting on this game for being short, small or a recycled and rebranded side game just never played it, like OP til just now. Because most of that criticism never even made a lick of sense to begin with.

Oct 20, 2018
I've been playing through 3 throughout the weekend and I don't know why it surprises me that it is so good. I especially adore the dodge mechanic in it, I have an easier time dodging in RE3 over the first revelations game