• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing AC Origins a bit later than Horizon and the comparison in the combat was shocking in Horizon's favour. How Ubisoft could make such an unsatisfactory experience when shooting with the bow was beyond me, and in a year where 2 of the biggest games had bow-based combat as well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't amount stabbing a random civilian getting involved in combat over 40 times as good combat. There is little to no variety in Odyssey's combat either. It's a button mash nightmare with very little tools at your disposal other than for using special attacks, then resorting back to the normal spam.

Either way, HZD's combat is leagues better than Odyssey's. If you want peak AC combat, you should play AC Unity.

I hated Odyssey's combat and I still enjoyed it more than Horizon's. :/

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you guys upload a gif of what your fights looked like in AC:O? I must have entered a parallel universe lmfao.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, same human enemies over and over blows chunks in AC.

Lots of different enemies in HZD which I loved and different bow types and traps.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a pretty trash game in the end. It was built around microtransactions, bloated to hell and back with half-assed RPG mechanics and levelgating, and lacked everything that made the Ezio trilogy great.

People keep saying that about ACO, but I'm to this yet to see any hard proof on that.

Or "built around" means something different to me than to others.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony exclusives basically have shrines erected for them on resetera. Every poor design aspect thats criticized in every 3rd party game becomes amazing in a sony exclcusive, its a tried and true mechanic. People here become laser focused on every title thats a sony exclusive and can barelly believe how amazing it is, most of the times. They became games of the generation for many.

Posts like yours that try to portray that somehow sony is this underdog, this poor fella thats ganged up by mean people. Here, on resetera. The most sony focused forum ive ever seen? Posts like this are in incredibly bad faith

There's adoration and hate, but what he's saying is that the fandom is often justified (eg HZD is critically acclaimed and won many awards), whilst much of the hate often isn't, and is often (not always) from enthusiasts who frequent or prioritise other platforms, and/or who's predictions etc often end up being completely inaccurate.

What natestellar said about HZD is true though, it had by far the most votes for most likely to be the biggest gaming flop of the year. So clearly there was a lot of hate, dislike, skepticism or apprehension about the game prior to its release.

You speak about people finding many of Sony's GOTG worthy or being super positive about them or whatever, but that's not exclusive to Era, that goes throughout gaming circles, forums, websites, social media etc world wide too. There's a reason some of their games are so critically acclaimed and won so many awards. The disconnect isn't with those who agree with the consensus, it's with those who don't.

For example, if you can't figure out what elements of some of these games differentiate them from other lesser titles or as you put it, third party games, that's on you, and not because the differences don't exist. You simply fail to understand or comprehend them.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I hated Odyssey's combat and I still enjoyed it more than Horizon's. :/

Melee combat? Sure, I can see that. But overall, I just don't see it as being any other way. Horizon has a great number of tools at its disposal for handling different enemy types and makes for fun encounters. Combat also is not artificially hard, either.

You must really not have liked Horizon's combat. :P

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon was kind of boring. But the world was interesting enough to get me to that platinum. Assassins creed odyssey on the other hand i just now put down after just about 150 hours and all dlc complete. Hell of a game and i can still see myself going back to it. Its just that much fun to play...i want to say the same about horizon, but i didnt think it was nearly as much fun to play as aco was. Pretty as hell sure, and the story is kind of neat

Roto64

Oct 27, 2017
I platinumed Horizon last year and I was playing AC:O a few weeks ago, trying to get into it and I couldn't disagree with you more.
AC is not interesting. The animations are terrible, the quests are so boring, there's way too many systems packed into the game and none stand out, the battle system is also very boring and unsatisfying. The world is fantastic though and because of that I kept playing but I don't think I can go back. I played a good 20+ hours and found it overall mundane.
Horizon though, that game wasn't as large or over stuffed with things and it did some great things. I for one think that world and story were both fascinating. The battle system is addicting. It just felt good to take down those giant robotic beasts. Once I got the hang of it I didn't want it to end. The game looks way better than AC, the animations make everything feel more "real". Overall it left a great impression on me and it is definitely one of my all time favs. AC tho, that was disappointing because I really wanted to explore that world but everything other than that was lackluster and it feels like such a wasted opportunity.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I played through Horizon twice and the DLC and just AC: Odyssey once with Kassandra but didn't touch the DLC.

I vastly preferred Odyssey. I do think it's the best game Ubisoft has made, the best AC game, and one of the biggest highlights of 2018.Marvelous game in each of the ways you identified.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Can you guys upload a gif of what your fights looked like in AC:O? I must have entered a parallel universe lmfao.
nhMNU57.gif

kzmAZc3.gif

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a pretty trash game in the end. It was built around microtransactions, bloated to hell and back with half-assed RPG mechanics and levelgating, and lacked everything that made the Ezio trilogy great.
Anyone who thinks AC:O was built around micro transactions has been blissfully spared from playing all the games released that are actually built around micro transactions

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh hell nooooo lol but thts your opinion. I've played all the modern day open world games on all the current gen consoles and Horizon is the best open world fame I've played. Dino combat was awesome, world was gorgeous and well populated, didn't suffer from the emptiness found in other games, story and the files you found along were engaging and again loved the bow combat.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
HZD was a fantastic experience. I liked the story, had a lot of fun with the gameplay and enjoyed the DLC. It's a fun start to a promising franchise.

The original AC was a pile of shit as far as gameplay is concerned but it looked pretty. Seems to be the same criticism levelled against HZD.

ACO was one of the best games I've played in the last year and I liked basically everything about it. Cassandra was a great character. It took how many sequels to achieve this greatness? Ten?

I liked both games a lot but where AC is now makes me excited for the future potential of more Horizon games.
I like this pov. It makes sense. Horizon is the best first try I've ever seen. Remember it comes from the Killzone studio. They made tremendous strides.

Meanwhile AC is still in "growing pains" phase. It's blooming into a really beautiful thing but it's not there /there/ yet.
Disagree. HZD has an identity. ACO is just copy-pasted ACOrigins
They're way, way, way more different games than anyone could have guessed. That really caught me off guard, as I was ready for an Origins sequel and I didn't got one in any department.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give you better open world and perhaps better sidequests. But everything else? Hell noo.

Especially the combat is far superior in Horizon. No idea how anyone can say the combat in Oddysey is good. It is such a boring and sterile combat system. There is nothing satisfactory about it.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not the biggest Horizon fan but AC is boring as shit. No idea where the sudden Ubisoft nuthugging is coming from. Their output is incredibly generic and filled with GaaS shit to the brim.
They could vanish tomorrow and I wouldn't miss them.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I'm replaying it after 2 years. HZD still holds on graphically, gotta get used to the gameplay. I think it's a good first attempt at an open world game by a studio. I'm sure the sequel will be even better

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who thinks AC:O was built around micro transactions has been blissfully spared from playing all the games released that are actually built around micro transactions
Leveling is a chore in the game. What makes it worse is that they lower your XP earn the lower your difficulty is set. So that the average Joe will be more incentivized to buy the XP boost. As well, banning XP boosting user created missions was a clear moneygrab.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Strongly disagree with most points, especially about both combat and story. Imo HZD has the best combat in any open world game, with maybe Dragon's Dogma and Monster Hunter World a little bit behind. But reading your post, I get the impression it's because you focused predominantly on melee combat. HZD isn't really about melee combat, infact it's melee combat is weak. Instead, the focus of its combat is about mixing things up with the weapons, be it setting traps, tripwire, using the rope cast, slingshot, different bows and arrow types, breaking off specific parts of enemies, weak points, parts of their anatomy to use yourself as a weapon, playing different machines off or against each other or whatever else. There's a huge amount of depth and diversity to HZD's combat, to where even many ordinary foes end up feeling like miniature boss battles with lots of dynamic layers.
Horizon's combat was made for M+KB, not a controller. Fighting fast moving enemies was frustrating as hell.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Sony exclusives basically have shrines erected for them on resetera. Every poor design aspect thats criticized in every 3rd party game becomes amazing in a sony exclcusive, its a tried and true mechanic. People here become laser focused on every title thats a sony exclusive and can barelly believe how amazing it is, most of the times. They became games of the generation for many.

Posts like yours that try to portray that somehow sony is this underdog, this poor fella thats ganged up by mean people. Here, on resetera. The most sony focused forum ive ever seen? Posts like this are in incredibly bad faith
Sounds like you just described Nintendo exclusives.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Well Horizon Zero Dawn was mediocre in every way except the pretty graphics so yeah I can see how ACO would outshine it quite easily. I hope they drop Alloy for the sequel because that is not a good character.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
The narrative director of Horizon Zero Dawn is John Gonzalez, probably the best narrative designer. Guerrilla Games is also a studio with very good writers (Killzone Shadow Fall has an amazing story and the best collectibles).

In the other hand, even if there is some exceptions (Ghost Recon Wildlands), Ubisoft is known for the bad writing of their games (AC games, Watch Dogs 1 & 2, The Division 1 & 2, etc.).

I haven't played Assassin's Creed Odyssey so maybe it's another exception, maybe it has a better story and writing than the game with the best narrative design released this generation, but I will need a better explanation before believing that.

aLoneWalker

Attempted to create multiple alt accounts
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
AC Odyssey built around microtransactions? What MTX do is ruin your game actually, give you money, unlock temples on your map, give you free materials, what's left for you to do in the game if all the grind and exploration is lazily paid? While as far as the armor/weapons goes, most of them are horrible and none of the best ingame skills come out of MTX armors.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
They're pretty comparable in terms of design though the enemy designs in HZD are so much better than anything in AC. Very well animated, each with a different gimmick. Pretty much sets them apart imo.

A bit confused about the Matrix comments in regards to HZD's story, it's either reductive as hell or I'm just oblivious.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I like stealth archery and sci-fi as fuck stories so HZD did it for me. I fell off AC:O hard after I played a lot of AC:Or the year or so before. Was not new to me but HZD was new to me. Machine Dino's, post post-apocalypse and sneaky archery = super duper fun times for me. AC:O just felt like AC:Or and I noped out.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, I love both moves. This looks great and is great fun too.

I mean, it looks decent enough, but I really did prefer the old style of AC combat from Unity. That is the series' best in terms of everything, mechanically speaking.

This doesn't look fun at all, if you like watching the same combat animation over and over again then maybe yeah. Horizons combat tactics to take down diffrents enemies is so much more satisfying and fun.

Yeah, that was my point. Horizon is a much more varied combat system, whereas in Odyssey all enemies die the same way.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I found AC Odyssey to be a far more compelling game all around as well OP. I fell off HZD after about 15 hours and I'm 1 quest away from 100% on AC OD with all the DLC.

I think a follow up to HZD will be great though. Guerilla really honing the Decima engine for the PS5 should be a treat.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
HZD felt old day 1 because of the freedom we saw in BOTW. Having to climb up and go down at specific spots was a big turn off.
AC doesn't have the BOTW freedom but it's light years ahead of HZD.
For me, at the time of the release HZD was ahead of everything except BOTW.
But today I feel like it's been surpassed, it's mostly talked about because of the graphics and I doubt people would be hyped for a sequel if the gameplay would be the same as in 1.

On the other hand, what fights in any other open world game could match the crazy boss-like fights you stumble upon in HZD? I guess the BOTW Lynels are close but here I think HZD is still unsurpassed. They just need to make the creatures wandering around more, the static walking patterns are too old school now.

Oct 27, 2017
Every special move in AC:O is overpowered and instant-win or action regardless of opponents' block stance or color. Every regular attack is just zzzzz.

So the combat is simple: you do the boring dance until you get to execute or beat-down opponent for massive damage. (or kicking opponents down the cliff/ship)

I hope the next AC can deliver more varied and balanced combat system which doesn't revolve around slashing to build a bar for the instant-win button.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought that if Horizon had been a third party game then virtually no one would have made a fuss. It's an incredibly average game outside of it's visuals imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I completely disagree due to Horizon's combat being just outstanding. I had so much fun with it, always felt like I had a wealth of options at my disposal and found many of the fights with various robots super exhilarating. Some of the most fun combat this gen.

I didn't think much of Odyssey's combat by comparison. That said Odyssey is one of my favourite AC games.

I'm also not as hot on the open world either - getting from A to B was typically really boring when on land, I would listen to a lot more podcasts during AC Odyssey to help fill some of the monotony between the action. I don't remember having this issue with HZD's open world - though it's not a part of the game I have any high praise for outside of the visuals.

I didn't think much of HZD's story tbh - I found its delivery pretty boring, there's way too much standing around waiting for holograms to finish and I just found it all super predictable and lacking in any intrigue.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
How is Origins compared to Odyssey?

much improved. i held off on Odyssey for awhile becaues i thought it's be an Origins 1.5 of sorts but it does almost everything better

caveat is the Egypt setting is arguably more interesting and varied

edit: oh i see you asked how Origins compares to Odyssey, well i guess the inverse of what i said :P
still Origins is a great game

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
he gameplay in HZD is unbelievable. It's one of the few games that not only teaches you but forces you to use all of the weapon and mechanics available, but without making it a chore by having you use weapons you don't like.

I do not remember being forced to change up my play style or weapons. It's been a while but I remember using the same thing the whole game, I think it was just shooting arrows and jumping up and down to proc the slow time effect. This was on the harder difficulties too.

It's my fault I'm not creative, but I felt it was too easy for me to just do the same thing the whole game.

Last edited:

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
HZD felt old day 1 because of the freedom we saw in BOTW. Having to climb up and go down at specific spots was a big turn off.
AC doesn't have the BOTW freedom but it's light years ahead of HZD.
For me, at the time of the release HZD was ahead of everything except BOTW.
But today I feel like it's been surpassed, it's mostly talked about because of the graphics and I doubt people would be hyped for a sequel if the gameplay would be the same as in 1.

On the other hand, what fights in any other open world game could match the crazy boss-like fights you stumble upon in HZD? I guess the BOTW Lynels are close but here I think HZD is still unsurpassed. They just need to make the creatures wandering around more, the static walking patterns are too old school now.
Assassins-Creed-Odyssey_-November-Monthly-Update-_-Ubisoft-NA-3-31-screenshot-750x422.jpg

Odyssey also has large scale bosses. Quite a few too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Melee combat? Sure, I can see that. But overall, I just don't see it as being any other way. Horizon has a great number of tools at its disposal for handling different enemy types and makes for fun encounters. Combat also is not artificially hard, either.

You must really not have liked Horizon's combat. :P

Yeah. Shooter combat with very light RPG mechanics when every enemy suicide charges you constantly and you have no reliable escape tactics just never worked for me.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I think the big thing that makes the combat better in Horizon for me is the fact that you actually need so analyze and assess a situation before running in. There's so much variety in the machines that just charging in will get you killed.