• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Bingo

I roll my eyes everytime i read: HZD has a good sci-fi story
There's a BIG, HUGE difference between saying it has a "good story" and it has "the greatest sci-fi story". Do people even speak English here? It's not even my native language and sometimes I feel like I have a better grasp of it lol.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't agree there and I loved Odyssey. Horizon is a tighter experience with a much better art direction and story. Both are worth playing though.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Hzd as one of the best scifi stories recently....what??? ai sure hope whoever says this strictly means videogames, though even then....maybe there isnt enough scifi games.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I also think Aloy is trash

So aloy finds a magic ear thing that lets her figure out what is going on and she just so happens to be descended from the main scientist that tried to save the world? It's almost as hackneyed as a chosen one narrative except it doesn't go all the way with it.

While I definitely don't agree with your hot take on her characterization, there is definitely an element of 'providence' in the game as a driving force. In the case of HZD, her character is more Neo from Matrix in the case of why and who she is in relation.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Man, people really hated zero dawn huh? Feel like we have threads every few weeks just lambasting it.

Era was always very very sour on this game long before its release. It was predicted to be first AAA bomb from Sony 1st party. It obviously wasn't and hence we get threads like these from time to time. Exclusives bring the worst out of many on this place, just the way it is.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see threads like this, I have to wonder when did they last time play an AC game before Odyssey.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Horizon was overrated mediocrity. Hopefully they take the many criticisms to heart with the sequel.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
HZD has a way better story.

Everything else, I can concede.

Still, it was GG's first RPG in a brand new IP with far fewer people on it than the thousands that work on AC Odyssey.

Also, Odyssey feels like a ton of bloat to me whereas HZD felt way more focused, even if that means a small campaign overall, I value my time more than anything so I'll take a pretty good 40-50 hours over the 100+ Odyssey would require for me to finish it completely.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon was definitely overrated at launch. A combination of graphixx and exclusive warz.

If anything it was somewhat the opposite, at least critically and with respect to journalist impressions anyway, since it was constantly being compared to Breath of the Wild at certain gaming outlets, due to releasing so close to one another other, and having review copies sent out and played at around the same time.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Not at all, it's very good science fiction.
Why is that sad? The premise and story are great.

They basically took Matrix and repurposed it. If retelling that story with a spin is best sci-fi in years then yes, I think it's somewhat sad.

For me HZD's story was elevated by individual moments within it and mostly they were moments of Aloy's character growth. I also do appreciate world building they went into in order to explain things and set scene for more to come in universe, but overarching story was little bit too much predictable and done before. I wanted to care more about side characters, but they also didn't get nearly enough screen time and depth.

Even from story perspective I feel there should have been more as some things just... end to wall without conclusion that feels good.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the point of comparing if assassins creed doesn't have similar massive machine battles?

That was like HZD's thing in a new ip.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Honestly, The Witcher 3 has better combat than Odyssey, and more people argue on that than they do Odyssey's combat.

Last edited:

jeyu

Dec 6, 2018
Horizon is a better game in everything. Loved odyssey but horizon I remember everything. Odyssey I just remembered because so this thread lol

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
One thing I would add is that I did not like GG aping every other open world game by having the busy work of "bandit camps" (aka Ubisoft's design philosophy). I know it was to pad the game's playtime but it was way too blatant of a copy paste design aspect. And in that regard, given their background with KZ games, it was a surprise at how incompetent human AI could be from time to time which added up to 'frequently' (especially in comparison to non-human AI).

There is definite improvement to be had in those two regards.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer Odyssey but HZD was amazing too. Definitely the more polished experience and the lore/story was absolutely fascinating.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. The only thing AC is better at to me was exploration, and melee combat but Horizon wasn't really trying to do melee combat. But Horizon was better in every other way.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AC odyssey is extremely overrated. Hzdz story is so much more interesting. The enemy variety and combat tactics alone destroy anything odyssey has to offer in terms of gameplay.

Ubisofy have made great improvements to their open world formulae but there games are still largely forgettable.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring; Prior Warning for Platform Warring
Era was always very very sour on this game long before its release. It was predicted to be first AAA bomb from Sony 1st party. It obviously wasn't and hence we get threads like these from time to time. Exclusives bring the worst out of many on this place, just the way it is.

Sony exclusives basically have shrines erected for them on resetera. Every poor design aspect thats criticized in every 3rd party game becomes amazing in a sony exclcusive, its a tried and true mechanic. People here become laser focused on every title thats a sony exclusive and can barelly believe how amazing it is, most of the times. They became games of the generation for many.

Posts like yours that try to portray that somehow sony is this underdog, this poor fella thats ganged up by mean people. Here, on resetera. The most sony focused forum ive ever seen? Posts like this are in incredibly bad faith

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The people saying HZD has the greatest sci-fi story. Nope. It's just another trite, cliched sci-fi story whereby the planet cant sustain humans which end up being wiped out and then humans have to rebuild. The only thing thats different is having robotic animals that are the means of restoring the planet.
Did you actually play Horizon? That's not the story of the game at all.

I haven't seen anyone call it the "greatest sci-fi story" ever made either.

zodiaq

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I did enjoy ACO a lot more but never finished it because it's just too big. I don't know really know what it is about HZD, but it feels too empty for me. I just can't immerse myself into the world I always have the sense of "just" playing a game. This to some degree was the same with ACO but never to the degree of HZD. Red Dead Redemption 2 on the other hand fully immersed me into it's world and just felt alive.

Much

Feb 24, 2018

Proof.

l3bIy7f.gif

versus

qA7rrZE.gif

Yes way.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I am not gonna sit here and call Horizon dull. I liked the story and was interested in the mystery a bit. I think the bow combat plus higher difficulty enemies are great. The visuals and sound design (not just music, but sound design for environment and enemies etc.). amazing.

Jan 4, 2018
I also played both back to back and Odyssey comes out on top. Horizon is still fun, but I think Odyssey plays better and I like the story more. Horizon is promising but is one of those games where I think "God, I hope this gets a sequel because there's some changes that it needs to be truly great and I'd love to see that happen."

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Well, HZD was that studio's first attempt at this kind of game while Ubisoft has tweaked and perfected the AC formula over a 100 games. I think the game is fantastic. Haven't played Odyssey to compare them though.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Hmmm. I don't know. I loved Odyssey and Kassandra. I've played well over 100 hours of it and I've nearly finished it, but I've fallen off and I've got the bloody season pass to get to yet. There's maybe too much there. Yet, I've played through Horizon twice.

Horizon has a fantastic and thought prevoking sci fi story, giant flipping robots and cool redheads and even better graphics - have you seen it on a good 4K HDR screen? Wow. It's also a little less intimidating than AC.

So, yeah it's Horizon for me - it struck my special nerve and that's how I know. AC Odyssey is still brilliant and a must play though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I did finish Odyssey while Horizon bored me, but honestly I can just trace that back to one thing:

Horizon not having melee combat.

Forcing me to always use ranged weapons for every fight made combat very not fun for me, especially since every enemy in Horizon loves to CHARGE AT YOU constantly, meaning that pretty much all combat involved running away from enemies while trying to squeeze off shots at them and praying you don't get caught on geometry mid-run. I hate that kind of game design, and Horizon was full of that.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
HZD was a fantastic experience. I liked the story, had a lot of fun with the gameplay and enjoyed the DLC. It's a fun start to a promising franchise.

The original AC was a pile of shit as far as gameplay is concerned but it looked pretty. Seems to be the same criticism levelled against HZD.

ACO was one of the best games I've played in the last year and I liked basically everything about it. Cassandra was a great character. It took how many sequels to achieve this greatness? Ten?

I liked both games a lot but where AC is now makes me excited for the future potential of more Horizon games.

Oct 26, 2017
HZD had the more enjoyable story, but more than that....it's presentation and reveal of the story is one of my favorites. There are some truly haunting scenes in that game.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
He/she is not wrong though. HZD's issue is in the delivery of the plot (eg a lot of it requires you to read data points etc), but the story itself is incredible and one of the best written in a video game (which is probably why it won several narrative based awards).

The amount of detail and depth they went to justify the existence of robot dinosaurs and everything leading up to and after it, was immensely commendable.

Prior to playing the game, I had no confidence that Guerilla Games of all studios could properly justify the premise (they're not exactly known for good stories), but man was I wrong. Gaia, Hades, project Zero Dawn, the biofuel consuming AI military peacekeepers, the re-training, teaching and reproduction of humans and the way they set that all up, the method to repopulate the planet, to terraform and recondition Earth's biosphere, the systems to store knowledge, art, culture etc, the tribes, false beliefs, interwoven notions of religion, technology, false deities, the new cultures that formed, Aloy's role, Ted Faro's, Elisabet Sobeck's, the Matriarchal system and so on, all of it is just so damn rich and exhaustive.

If you have the patience and attentiveness to actually seek out and read through the data points, videos etc, they really enrich the overall story and add a lot of additional nuance, back story, detail etc, which is great for those who can be bothered for it and don't just want a spoon fed by the numbers affair.
You're talking about lore mostly. The story is about the present day with the human antagonists whose names I can't even remember. Its story is really average for a video game and its characters excluding Rost and the ones you mentioned in the lore are forgettable. The narrative which you already talked about is insanely bad. Guerilla Games though it was a good idea to throw all the imo good lore at the player in the last 20% of the game. There are missions where you listen more to audio logs than you actually play the mission. It's even more insane when you consider that a 10 year old game called BioShock did audio logs better.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a pretty trash game in the end. It was built around microtransactions, bloated to hell and back with half-assed RPG mechanics and levelgating, and lacked everything that made the Ezio trilogy great.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Lol. I'm actually not sure if you guys are memeing or not. In terms of open world RPGs, AC:O did very well in the combat department. The competition isn't very stiff, but fighting remained fun for the entirety of my playthrough.

HZD's combat is leagues better than Odyssey's. If you want peak AC combat, you should play AC Unity.

Last edited:

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Sony exclusives basically have shrines erected for them on resetera. Every poor design aspect thats criticized in every 3rd party game becomes amazing in a sony exclcusive, its a tried and true mechanic. People here become laser focused on every title thats a sony exclusive and can barelly believe how amazing it is, most of the times. They became games of the generation for many.

Posts like yours that try to portray that somehow sony is this underdog, this poor fella thats ganged up by mean people. Here, on resetera. The most sony focused forum ive ever seen? Posts like this are in incredibly bad faith

Thank you for contributing nothing to the OP but instead more console warring non-sense.

Funny thing is, you don't understand the irony of 'incredibly bad faith' posts given your post history. Last time I called you out on it, you predictably never replied.