• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Played them in chronological order (Reach, 1 anniversary, 2 anniversary, ODST, 3, 4, 5).

Biggest surprise for me? 2 was probably my least favorite to play between the jackal snipers BS and brutes. I was also heartbroken that Incubus and Breaking Benjamin are not in the MCC version.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
Played them in chronological order (Reach, 1 anniversary, 2 anniversary, ODST, 3, 4, 5).

Biggest surprise for me? 2 was probably my least favorite to play between the jackal snipers BS and brutes. I was also heartbroken that Incubus and Breaking Benjamin are not in the MCC version.
No surprises there. The story is great. The gameplay mostly sucks, especially at higher difficulties.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Did the experience make you excited for Infinite from the perspective of continuing the story?

OP
OP
theDidact

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Did the experience make you excited for Infinite from the perspective of continuing the story?
Yes! I somehow do not feel Halo fatigue. I also appreciate the shakeup of the world state in Halo 5 (though also undoing the best bits of 4s story) and hope Infinite doesn't sweep it under the rug.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

They are, but only in the OG graphics mode.

I replayed the main series games 1 - 5 a couple of weeks ago, played 1 and 2 on OG graphics to check out the improvements 343 made. Good shit.

I was surprised on how much more I enjoyed Halo 4 and how much less I liked Halo 5. It used to be the other way around.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah Halo 4 holds up very well indeed. I don't even mind the Prometheans that much, the dog ones are fun to pop headshots on.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to do the same someday. Might even join up with a friend to do this. But time is an issue :-\

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Heroic? Nonsense. Solo Legendary is the best. :D #jackalsPTSD
I usually play Heroic, ever since Bungie defined it as "the way Halo's meant to be played". I replayed the games with the MCC playlist now, tho, and that one's stuck on Normal. I was surprised how much better Halo 4 was: I'd never played it on anything below Heroic before, lmao. You still get one-shotted from Binary Rifle hits tho, kinda nuts.

OP
OP
theDidact

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
They are, but only in the OG graphics mode.

I replayed the main series games 1 - 5 a couple of weeks ago, played 1 and 2 on OG graphics to check out the improvements 343 made. Good shit.

I was surprised on how much more I enjoyed Halo 4 and how much less I liked Halo 5. It used to be the other way around.
Guess it depends on which mode it starts playing in. I switched back and forth because I wanted the OG tracks.
Was the Library still interminably dull?
The anniversary version of the library is WAY better. I enjoyed it a lot this run with some frustrations in corridor kill traps. But the glowing arrows in the ground textures make it feasible to (mostly) just keep running.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
As someone who recently replayed all the Bungie Halo games (working on 4 right now..) I found CE to be the most fun. So fun I replayed it 3 times this year. I just enjoy the gameplay, and interaction so, so much. I had the same take away with Halo 2, OP. Its my least favorite Halo game due to its shitty Arbiter levels and BS parts. And it breaks my heart, too. I love the Arbiter as a character. He's awesome.
Was the Library still interminably dull?
Surpsingly I didn't find it dull on my replays. My most disliked part of Halo CE is still the 2nd half of the 3rd level. Fuck the ship.

OP
OP
theDidact

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, best MCC addition? The FOV slider. Playing all the games (sans 5) at 110 felt glorious.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I replayed the Halo's this month too. Tell me how wrong i am:

Halo 1 has half a good campaign. First Half. The only great thing afterwards is the escape at the very end. 7/10

Halo 2 is best played on normal. Its a better game than its reputation dictates but has weird difficulty spikes. 7/10

Halo 3 is still the best. Pacing and scenarios are classic. Fuck the Cortana level though. Still a 10/10

ODST is a good sidestory with surprisingly likeable characters with 3's gameplay. 8/10

Reach is close to Halo 3's greatness. Pacing is not as great. 9/10

Halo 4's AI is dumbed down, combat scenarios were tedious with bullet sponges and too much bad dialogue. Amazing graphics and art though. 6/10

Halo 5's story is shit, they transformed Cortana into a petty villain and the focus on coop team play ruined the combat scenarios. Boss battles sucked. Its just saved by the classic gameplay formula brought by Bungie. Great 60fps performance and graphics though. 5/10

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
how did you deal with early ODST in the city?? that shit was hard as heck in normal

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

I did the same, Halo 2 snipers are indeed one of the worst moments as are 'the boss' fights in 5.