• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So some context first, I'd never tried a Souls game until Bloodborne. From announcement to release, it looked incredible to me but knowing the kind of game it was, I knew I wouldn't actually pick it up. It wasn't until a week or two post release, where I decided otherwise and picked it up. This was still early in the gen so the line-up wasn't incredibly stacked either. I remember my first go around, I absolutely hated it and fell off pretty quick. It just didn't make any sense.. there was no direction to the game, repeating the same encounters became so monotonous, and it felt like I was only inching closer in progress. I sat on it for a bit but then decided to return, this time I just thought what the hell, let's just get past this encounter.. and then this one.. and then this one, unlocking the odd shortcut along the way. Something just clicked, even though I couldn't really explain what, but once it did I was all in. I played the game to completion and would call it one of the greatest games of all time. I returned to it a couple years later and played it to completion again, this time unlocking the true ending.

For some reason, as much as I loved Bloodborne, I never felt compelled to pick up another Souls game. It just felt like a game you have to really be in the mood for. Flash forward to a few days ago, where I saw Dark Souls 3 on sale. It was cheap enough for me to concede, thinking to myself that even if I can't get into it, it can just stay in the library for a later day.

Once again, the start led to some frustration, but having played Bloodborne I already knew what to expect and managed to persevere. I was progressing a lot quicker than I was in Bloodborne, but I knew I'd probably retire this game since I just wasn't feeling it. That is until last night when I smoked up a fierce one and decided to dive back in just for the fun of it. The three hour session that followed can only be described as a fucking adventure. I was so immersed, each throwaway fight seemed like a spectacle, I felt like such a magnificent son of a bitch whenever I'd clear out an area with ease that a little while ago felt impossible. I've tried playing games high before, but I never feel like they can hold my attention for too long, but this game had me engrossed. The session ended with me reaching a boss battle by mistake, getting my ass handed to me, coming back, trying my hand at summoning a player but getting invaded instead ! We both circled around with our shields held high, it was so damn intense I considered just running back to the bonfire, but it's as if my Bloodborne reflexes kicked in as I thought fuck this, rolled out of his attack right to his back, and then swung at his ass until he dropped. The guy was doing his best trying to heal himself but everytime he'd start, that sliver of green my stamina bar would manage to regenerate would get used up for another swing. It didn't stop there however, I ran right through the fog gate, and defeated the boss by the seat of my pants - I was essentially going in blind, but I felt like Neo in The Matrix the way I was forseeing the attack patterns. I don't really even know how it happened, but I managed through it.

Just an incredible experience that I thought I'd share.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn right. Amazing game. The best of the series, I'd say (although the first Dark Souls has a special place too).

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it seems I've missed the entire point of the thread haha.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017
US
I don't really even know how it happened...

tumblr_omuxqfToMf1u521p1o1_400.gifv

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
one time i was so high that it slowed me down and all the enemies made mincemeat of me.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Replace Dark Souls 3 with "any game ever," and YES lol.

Marijuana is LEGAL for recreational use in my state for people over 21 btw.......not tryin to get in trouble on here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Sounds like a hell of a time
Honestly I think being high for some games it's just a better experience. Since must feels like it comes out of the brain and is more immersive that way instead of it just sounding like it's in your eyes sounds like you're actually there.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
100% Deeply atmosphreric & Immersive experiences were made for THC, and there are few devs that do it better than FromSoft.

OP
OP
black070

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Conversely, are there any other games you guys would recommend to play while baked ?

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Played through the Witcher 3 baked that was a good time. Games with good or psychedelic visuals tend to be a good bet. Abzu and Rez strike me as fun to play too.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I can't even remember the last time I played a video game not high. I'm just gonna guess it was probably around the early-mid '90's.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I used to play Panzer Dragoon Orta high. It was pure magic. Rail shooters in general are the genre to play while high. You'll probably terrible at it, but whatever.

Last edited:

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Replace Dark Souls 3 with "any game ever," and YES lol.

Marijuana is LEGAL for recreational use in my state for people over 21 btw.......not tryin to get in trouble on here.
Haha my exact thoughts. Weed makes a good game into pure magic.

The world would be a better place if everyone played Death Stranding while high.

Jun 17, 2018
Amazing! I played the first mostly baked and it was one of the most memorable and exciting games ever. I remember being genuinely scared when hearing the sorcerer in the undead parish for the first time.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rise of you would, dear brother, for that is our curse.

Tam o shanter

Jun 2, 2019
I've played through Bloodborne once a year ever since it's release, but played it high for the first time not long ago. The atmosphere and and music took on a whole new identity, and I was glued to the screen the entire time. Felt like I viewed that game through a completely different lense that night, and it's given me a brand new perspective.

I also fought the last boss of Sekiro high. Now THAT is an experience I'll never forget.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Go play Astro Bot: Rescue Mission while high if you want to feel like a kid again.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming while high is so much fun.

I remember one summer in college years ago, a few friends and I got stoned and played Little Big Planet and holy shit I've never laughed so much since.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Since Canada legalized I started getting high while playing Fortnite with friends and everything feels like a movie: The squad dropping out, finding helicopters, flanking, it just feels like the best action movie every time.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Some of my best matches in Apex or Battlefield are played high. But yeah, every game is better while high. Some are real highlights, like RDR2, GTAV, The Witcher 3, Subnautica, etc.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Been meaning to play Bloodborne. Would love to play it high but not sure if that's a good idea since I've never played a Souls type game before

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
Yeah I blazed throughout all the Soulsbourne series and it was great. My time with Dark Souls 1 especially was magical.

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
Honestly I think being high for some games it's just a better experience. Since must feels like it comes out of the brain and is more immersive that way instead of it just sounding like it's in your eyes sounds like you're actually there.
Personally it makes certain games excellent to just chill and play, Destiny is an excellent game for this sort of mind state.
PUBG however is far too tense for me to enjoy high

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I play everything high. I drink coffee at the same time. It's colloquially refered to as a 'hippie speedball'.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Hell yeah , smoking or having an edible before gaming is the best. I play pretty much everything high though lmaooo

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i played nier automata high and almost had a religious experience. weed makes everything better.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Playing DS3 rn stoned.

Beat Pointiff on my 4th try and I was in the goddamn zone. Weed and videogames mesh incredibly well, just like watching a great movie or series stoned. You should see the bag I got waiting for TLOU2.