• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My friend and I often share accounts and play each others' games, I played his copy of Control for a while at launch. I got to the mission where you go through a series of shifting rooms (headphones?), and then moved on to other games.

He's currently playing something on that account, so I can't use it, but the game is only £11 on sale...

I only applied a single patch at the time, and it's been quite a while:

- Has there been notable performance increases on PC? My performance was decent, but better is always good here.
- Has there been any notable improvements to gameplay, QoL additions, etc...
- How has the DLC been?

The Ultimate edition gives all the DLC which my friend's account doesn't have, too.

I was going to get RDR2, but after CP2077 I'm a bit burnt out on open worlds and Control seems like a great shift of gears. I really enjoyed what I played, and I'd like to hear opinions of improvements and additions to see if it pushes me over the line into a purchase.

Thanks!

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
They added difficulty sliders which were a game changer for me since the game was fairly difficult at times, and coming back to the DLC after 6 months of not playing the game was almost impossible otherwise.

"As Remedy revealed in a recent livestream, more checkpoints will be added around big combat encounters to prevent players having to face the same challenges over and over, and more additional Control Points before bosses will shorten the time it takes to walk back to the boss after being killed. The biggest change appears to be Control's new assist mode, which allows players to customize different aspects of the game's difficulty to make it just as challenging as they want and in exactly the right ways. "

screenrant.com

Control Update Adds Assist Mode Difficulty Options Alongside AWE Expansion

Control's next update will add adjustable difficulty.

I liked the DLC pieces but they're both fairly short and other than getting to see and hear Alan Wake again, I liked the main game better.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They added difficulty sliders which were a game changer for me since the game was fairly difficult at times, and coming back to the DLC after 6 months of not playing the game was almost impossible otherwise.

"As Remedy revealed in a recent livestream, more checkpoints will be added around big combat encounters to prevent players having to face the same challenges over and over, and more additional Control Points before bosses will shorten the time it takes to walk back to the boss after being killed. The biggest change appears to be Control's new assist mode, which allows players to customize different aspects of the game's difficulty to make it just as challenging as they want and in exactly the right ways. "

screenrant.com

Control Update Adds Assist Mode Difficulty Options Alongside AWE Expansion

Control's next update will add adjustable difficulty.

I liked the DLC pieces but they're both fairly short and other than getting to see and hear Alan Wake again, I liked the main game better.
This sounds pretty neat. I found the combat to have some artificial difficulty elements like health bloat at times that made it feel a little drawn out, curious to see if I could keep the challenge up while making it feel a bit more satisfying.

DLC disappointed me especially the second one.
What did you dislike about them? I have no idea what the content for them is beyond the fact one of them ties into Alan Wake?

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Is the DLC integrated into the main game?
Yeah, you access it within your saved game. I believe one is after you have completed the game, the other is opened up late in the game.

If you have an RTX card, DLSS is a good performance boost. You would have to see for yourself if the drawbacks are a dealbreaker but generally it isn't for most people.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The DLC arent great. I didnt even finish the second one, felt like every room was just full of those exploding enemies that run at you, I was not having fun at all and I bailed on it

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you access it within your saved game. I believe one is after you have completed the game, the other is opened up late in the game.

If you have an RTX card, DLSS is a good performance boost. You would have to see for yourself if the drawbacks are a dealbreaker but generally it isn't for most people.
I have a 2080. I managed to get 60fps with everything maxed at 1080 with DLSS and Nvidia sharpening and it looked great, but it had some dips. Curious if I'll be able to lock it now...

Shame about the DLC, but then it's essentially free as the Ultimate edition is cheaper than the standard currently.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I just finished Foundation last night. the comments above explain why there are so many more control points on this map.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I played the game and the DLC so far apart that I forget about the Fast Travel but I didn't mind travelling around. I felt the DLC was lackluster and recommend not bothering if you don't already own it.. But I didn't notice issues on PS4 Pro outside of pausing the game. Seemed fine when I booted it up in August though.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- How has the DLC been?
I think it's great. But then again, I'm a big Alan Wake fan. AWE ties into what's coming next for that franchise, and how the whole "Remedy Universe" ties in together. Foundation is basically more Control, so if you enjoy both Alan Wake and Control, I think you should try them.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I replayed the game before playing the DLC since it had been so long I had forgot how to play. I noticed extra checkpoints near bosses. They look really out of place but how far away you spawned from those bosses sucked before. I lost count of how many times I died to the anchor, respawned and a really hard hoard of enemies would spawn on the way back to the boss and I would have to just let the last enemy of the hoard kill me since why the hell would I start a boss fight I just died in with less than full health. Repeat 6 times in a row until the hoard doesn't spawn or I manage to take it out with full health. That crap was so frustrating. You are lucky you don't have to go through that crap.

There's some other extra stuff like the Jukebox. Those jukebox challenges are really, really hard.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2080. I managed to get 60fps with everything maxed at 1080 with DLSS and Nvidia sharpening and it looked great, but it had some dips. Curious if I'll be able to lock it now...

Shame about the DLC, but then it's essentially free as the Ultimate edition is cheaper than the standard currently.
If that was using DLSS in 2019 launch, performance should be much better now with DLSS 2.0 especially at 1080p. With a 3060 Ti at 1440p, DLSS on, RT on except for debris and a couple of other settings reduced, I was mostly hitting 60fps+ with some dips.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If that was using DLSS in 2019 launch, performance should be much better now with DLSS 2.0 especially at 1080p. With a 3060 Ti at 1440p, DLSS on, RT on except for debris and a couple of other settings reduced, I was mostly hitting 60fps+ with some dips.
I bought it!

I maxed it all out at 1080 with DLSS, and with Nvidia sharpening filter it looks great. Locked60 fps (unlocked it moves between 70-90 or so).

I loaded some save games from my previous run and tried a few things: hectic battles, destroying an office with powers, etc... and FPS was locked. It looks absolutely gorgeous, too.

Really hope this game gets a next-gen patch or remaster, more people should get to experience this game with all the graphical effects dialled up with solid 60fps.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I absolutely adored both Foundation and AWE. Then again, the base game was a 10/10 for me and I was craving to see every last nook & cranny that game had to offer.