• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can safely play Link's Awakening. It's fine.

Probably the most unwarranted freak-out I've ever seen regarding a game's performance.

Characterising legitimate complaints as a freak-out really does the bleating "everything on Switch is perfect" brigade no favours.

OP, LA is still fantastic, but the stutters and drops are very very noticeable. I'm enjoying the game a lot but it's hard to overlook.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Partner and I are playing Link's Awakening and everything's great.

Though we are waiting for a new patch of Gears 5. We're playing coop campaign and there's a bug that the other player doesn't get any audio after the recent patch. Team said they are aware of the issue.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Link's Awakening is a ton of fun, but the performance problems really do mar the experience. I didn't expect them to bother me, as I'm pretty forgiving of that kind of thing, but they really do.

I'm still playing it, because it's a great game, but I'm surprised they allowed it to be released with the performance issues.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Bloodstained still hasn't been patched? Hasn't that been out for months?

The performance in Link's Awakening is pretty terrible. As always the usual suspects are saying it's fine and they barely notice it so it's pretty obvious they don't care much about consistent frame rate in the first place.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
LA slowdown should get patched. its becaus of the way it vsyncs... if it goes below 60 fps it will switch to 30 fps even if it really would only have been 59.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These performance issues were known prior to launch. If poor performance is a deal-breaker for you, then you shouldn't have bought them until the issues were fixed. You would've ended up getting them cheaper, and you wouldn't end up disappointed if they never got fixed.

Also, as bad as the performance issues in LA are, they don't make the game unplayable. Plenty of people finished the game just fine this weekend.

Dumbest thing I have read today on Era. Congrats!
/s ?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm easing off on Borderlands 3 for a bit until we get some performance tuning on PC.

Fortunately there's tons of other things I can play at the moment.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Don't listen to the sensitive people about LA.

Try playing the game and you'll see that the drops won't bother you or hinder your fun in any way.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not being "unplayable" doesn't mean everyone should just go play it. There's nothing wrong waiting, in fact it's better To be patient and then be rewarded with a much better experience down the line. It's not like there aren't 1000 other games to play in the mean time.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Minor" performance issues. I'm dying here.
As far as games go and the ability to play the game, Id agree that theyre minor. Nintendo has their player base used to a higher standard though, Id say.

Doesnt mean theyre not minor to YOU, obviously, but Id put Bloodstained on the "mayor" category

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Wait switch version of bloodstained hasn't been patched at all?? There's been a few patches on PS4 iirc.

It got the first patch for the chest bug and I think that was it. They said they would be patching stuff ASAP in in multiple patches over the following weeks, and then they walked that back after a month or so had already gone by and they hadn't patched anything. Now it's only 1 patch coming "soon" and they didn't mention what they were going to fix, so I'm guessing they will not be fixing everything and we'll just have to deal with whatever they do.

Salty Soup

Oct 25, 2017
The frame rate in Link's Awakening is annoying but not game breaking. If it were a shooter or a platformer it would be a problem, but the combat is very simple. You get used to it.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Bloodstained's Performance on the Switch is OMEGA wack I agree
Is Link's Awakening bad on docked or portable or both, because it's been perfectly fine for me docked

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I know the world of post patches is certainly not new but the idea of performance patches is getting absolutely ridiculous. I have 3 games right now that I really want to play:

1. Bloodstained (Switch)
  2. Control (X1X)
  3. Links Awakening

What in the world is going on. I started up Bloodstained thinking it was probably overblown and nope no way in hell I'm playing that unpatched. Started Control cause I heard it was better on the X and all I can say is I can't imagine how bad it must be on the Pro if it drops fames this constantly on the X1X. I got my pre-ordered copy of Links Awakening and its still in the wrapping till I get any news there is a chance of a patch. Knowing Nintendo though and how ridiculous they are in general I'm assuming getting a patch for Link is a long shot so Ill probably just play that on as is but this just isn't okay. Right...Right?

If you have a homebrew Switch you can overclock it and set flags to trick it being in handheld or docked. This makes fps lock to pretty much 60fps and makes world of difference. I'd personally never go back to stuttery mess after that.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I know the world of post patches is certainly not new but the idea of performance patches is getting absolutely ridiculous. I have 3 games right now that I really want to play:

1. Bloodstained (Switch)
  2. Control (X1X)
  3. Links Awakening

What in the world is going on. I started up Bloodstained thinking it was probably overblown and nope no way in hell I'm playing that unpatched. Started Control cause I heard it was better on the X and all I can say is I can't imagine how bad it must be on the Pro if it drops fames this constantly on the X1X. I got my pre-ordered copy of Links Awakening and its still in the wrapping till I get any news there is a chance of a patch. Knowing Nintendo though and how ridiculous they are in general I'm assuming getting a patch for Link is a long shot so Ill probably just play that on as is but this just isn't okay. Right...Right?
Links awakening is fine I am soft locked in blasphemous waiting for a patch myself and waiting for bloodstained as well as I want the best version.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
People down playing Links Awakening 's performance issues. :/ It gets really bad at times. Especially when running in the overworld or in the swamps. It's certainly not fine.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
People down playing Links Awakening 's performance issues. :/ It gets really bad at times. Especially when running in the overworld or in the swamps. It's certainly not fine.
yup. the amount of people hand waving link's awakening's performance is fucking sad. im playing through it and on the 7th dungeon. its terrible. so no, it definitely isnt "just fine". great game but shit performance.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Links awakening is fine but holy hell I need that bloodstained patch. The wait is killing me. Finished hollow knight and almost finished super Metroid in the meantime. Both incredible. Might have screwed my enjoyment of bloodstained but probably not, if they manage to fix the performance.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

It's a Zelda game, you should see the people on Reddit acting like the game drops 1fps once the entire game. We've all seen the DF video and it's pretty horrible, the frame time graph tells you exactly how smooth (or not in this case) the game is.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

1. Bloodstained (Switch)
  2. Control (X1X)
  3. Links Awakening

Both LA and Bloodstained's issues were fairly well documented at or before launch, so while the complaints are valid, at least part of this is on you. I don't know about Control's issues, but the other two shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just play the original/DX Link's Awakening tbh. Like the Switch version isn't unplayable but a drop from 60 to 30 is so jarring, and I don't even mind performance in From games.

And yeah I'm not touching Bloodstained on Switch, and waiting for Control to drop to $20.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently played Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World on the Switch SNES app. They have far worse frame rate issues than Link's Awakening, and it actually happens in the middle of gameplay, when there's a lot going on. Personally I don't mind either though, the games are amazing anyway.

I just don't see why there isn't a crowd shouting "these games a unplayable!" like there is for Link's Awakening.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1. Bloodstained (Switch)
  2. Control (X1X)
  3. Links Awakening

hmm. Not sure what to say it sucks. But I can say that in the next hmm...1.5 months I would expect to add at least 2 more games to that list that I know of lol

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I was under the impression that Control on XB1X was already very solid.

But yeah, I'm waiting on bloodstained, link's awakening, and I'm hoping for River City Girls. I was once waiting for Blazing Chrome but it's been way too long now and I prolly won't ever finish it since perf in the later stages is super annoying. LA is short enough where I rather just wait til it's fine before they fix it once I'm done.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
You can safely play Link's Awakening. It's fine.

Probably the most unwarranted freak-out I've ever seen regarding a game's performance.

Yep. There has been an obscene amount of blowing out of proportion and melodrama going on over it the last week. It's beyond ridiculous. I've played through to the end of the first dungeon and it's nowhere near unplayable or lazy. I player the original Gameboy version when it came out too. If a game looks good then just play the damn game and quit with this unhealthy obsession over frame rates folks. Do you see the mainstream consumer public shrieking and stomping around over this stuff? Didn't think so. They don't give two shits about any of it and they don't understand any of the technical stuff. They're much better off and happier for it. They, again, just play the damn games without all this tantrum throwing and enjoy them. The "community" should really do the same. Doug Bowser and that entire Nintendo team..l can only imagine they've sat there just laughing uncontrollably at the posts fit throwing the frame rate and rightfully so. It's pathetic, full stop. I'm beyond happy it's selling unbelievably well, it deserves it. The hand wringing and drama are for naught folks. Just enjoy the fricking game. Jesus.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I hope you learned your lesson. Don't buy games day 1. You always loose this way. I only buy Nintendo games at launch.

I just finished LA yesterday (all seashells, 4 heartpieces missing somewhere) and I would lie if I said the framerate didn't bother me. Even worse coming from Nintendo, where you actually expect it to play just beautifully. Really hope they can patch that out somehow without.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yup. the amount of people hand waving link's awakening's performance is fucking sad. im playing through it and on the 7th dungeon. its terrible. so no, it definitely isnt "just fine". great game but shit performance.

People especially in the eShop thread downplay any performance complaint about any Switch game with alarming regularity.

Yep. There has been an obscene amount of blowing out of proportion and melodrama going on over it the last week. It's beyond ridiculous. I've played through to the end of the first dungeon and it's nowhere near unplayable or lazy. I player the original Gameboy version when it came out too. If a game looks good then just play the damn game and quit with this unhealthy obsession over frame rates folks. Do you see the mainstream consumer public shrieking and stomping around over this stuff? Didn't think so. They don't give two shits about any of it and they don't understand any of the technical stuff. They're much better off and happier for it. They, again, just play the damn games without all this tantrum throwing and enjoy them. The "community" should really do the same. Doug Bowser and that entire Nintendo team..l can only imagine they've sat there just laughing uncontrollably at the posts fit throwing the frame rate and rightfully so. It's pathetic, full stop. I'm beyond happy it's selling unbelievably well, it deserves it. The hand wringing and drama are for naught folks. Just enjoy the fricking game. Jesus.

Case in point, this embarrassing tantrum.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Both LA and Bloodstained's issues were fairly well documented at or before launch, so while the complaints are valid, at least part of this is on you. I don't know about Control's issues, but the other two shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.

Bullllshit on Bloodstained. There was no Switch previews at all. LA mentioned stuttering in previews but they always were assured that was normal and the game would be optimized.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I was in the same boat with Doom 1+2 but than I realized that they probably will never fix the problems.
So I just started the Doom 1 yesterday and, yeah it's terrible, but manageable.
at least they "fixed" (fucking lol) the login bug

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest reason you shouldn't buy games on day 1.

Plus they also usually get more content at a later date and most likely already beat the game when it releases and the inevitable sale. So you are paying more to play a worse version of the game with less content if you buy day one.

Apr 21, 2018
As much as I'm enjoying Links Awakening, I am surprised it was released in this state. Tentpole Nintendo releases never run this poorly.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Question for OP! Did you know about the performance issues before buying the games?

I listen to podcasts and heard about all of these games running poorly before they shipped. Control sounded especially bad to the point where I know my base PS4 is a bad option, and I should wait until I have new hardware.

I respect that different people have their own sensitivity to performance problems, and I wish there could be thorough transparency and profiling for performance. I wish services like Twitch could work profiling into their streams, as there are plenty of examples of performance per game area.

I'm just glad we're past the days of Stunt Race FX, or even Sega Touring Car on Saturn.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
There are so many people complaining about Link's Awakening performance and I seriously cannot notice anything being off when I'm playing...

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I like the Switch, I've noticed quite a bit technical issues when playing some multi-platform games (longer loading, framerate issues, etc). It has led me to actually avoid buying some games on Switch.
As for Link's Awakening, reviews mentioned the framerates issues, as did members here, and we have video evidence of the problem. It is game-breaking? No. Is it disappointing and spoiling the experience? Depends on the user, but I'm noticing a trend.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Quality control in games has generally gone down the toilet but publishers and developers won't do anything about it since people keep buying games day 1. The people who care about getting a polished experience should not buy games until they have been patched to a proper condition.