• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I know the world of post patches is certainly not new but the idea of performance patches is getting absolutely ridiculous. I have 3 games right now that I really want to play:

1. Bloodstained (Switch)
  2. Control (X1X)
  3. Links Awakening

What in the world is going on. I started up Bloodstained thinking it was probably overblown and nope no way in hell I'm playing that unpatched. Started Control cause I heard it was better on the X and all I can say is I can't imagine how bad it must be on the Pro if it drops fames this constantly on the X1X. I got my pre-ordered copy of Links Awakening and its still in the wrapping till I get any news there is a chance of a patch. Knowing Nintendo though and how ridiculous they are in general I'm assuming getting a patch for Link is a long shot so Ill probably just play that on as is but this just isn't okay. Right...Right?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can safely play Link's Awakening. It's fine.

Probably the most unwarranted freak-out I've ever seen regarding a game's performance.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember you also had a hard time with a gamebreaking bug in Hellblade, brucelee ;)

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Control is mostly great after the patch. Just don't blow up areas with lots of paperwork....

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I know the world of post patches is certainly not new but the idea of performance patches is getting absolutely ridiculous. I have 3 games right now that I really want to play:

1. Bloodstained (Switch)
  2. Control (X1X)
  3. Links Awakening

What in the world is going on. I started up Bloodstained thinking it was probably overblown and nope no way in hell I'm playing that unpatched. Started Control cause I heard it was better on the X and all I can say is I can't imagine how bad it must be on the Pro if it drops fames this constantly on the X1X. I got my pre-ordered copy of Links Awakening and its still in the wrapping till I get any news there is a chance of a patch. Knowing Nintendo though and how ridiculous they are in general I'm assuming getting a patch for Link is a long shot so Ill probably just play that on as is but this just isn't okay. Right...Right?

Bloodstained had some severe balancing issues. I didn't enjoy it even on PS4. Control did get a patch. I agree with you 100% on LA its awful, but be prepared to get dogpiled by "It's not a problem for me quit complaining"

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Finished Links Awakening though the framerate issues gave me a mild headache. Bought Bloodstained in PS4 to avoid switch issues (backed for switch version). Played Control on PC to avoid performance woes. I see what you're saying here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The issue here isn't the three games. Sounds like you buy a lot of game and have a giant backlog regardless

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
I've been smh at the links awakening people saying it's unplayable when there's nightmare fps drops like control out there.
I have waited dropping cash on some games until a patch fixes launch issues and my wallet has been grateful though

Oct 29, 2017
USA
I waiting for Borderlands 3 patches. I booted up the game just to check it out and I was encountering minor bugs early on.

That and I'm far too deep into Assassin's Creed Odyssey to drop it. Depending on when I finish it and what state Borderlands 3 is in, I may jump into Control instead.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

Probably the most unwarranted freak-out I've ever seen regarding a game's performance.

Totally disagree. I know it is different for different people, but for me the performance and those massive drops from 60 to 30 and the horrible changing of resolution when you pick items up (in some circumstances) is really bad. I stopped playing it altogether because of the issues. It is a fantastic game that is marred by the performance issues. I can easily handle drops in Framerate with most games, but when you go from 60 to 30, then back up it is bad...real bad.

OP Control did get the patch already and it performs better and the bonus of being able to turn of motion blur and film grain are good.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I hope he doesn't listen to you. Drops from 60 right down to 30 with stuttering throughout the entire game, is NOT fine. You might be able to deal but when several reviews have mentioned performance when they usually don't, means there's probably something wrong.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The LA stuff kinda sucks since performance is the same on portable, meaning they didnt optimize for docked. However, in terms of slowdown its not worse than a AAA SNES game, as far as the experience goes (meaning its mostly fine except when there's a lot of shit)

I agree with you overall though. I want to try Control and I dont even trust the lastest patch notes

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Links Awakening does need a good patch but its far from unplayable.

I don't know how they let it release in its current form though it is quite bad for Nintendo standards.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Link's Awakening really surprises me TBH since Nintendo titles are usually so polished. BOTW wasn't at launch either, but it's not looking good.

I think the days of finished products are largely behind us.

Links Awakening does need a good patch but its far from unplayable.

I don't know how they let it release in its current form though it is quite bad for Nintendo standards.
It's pretty awful IMO. The drops from 60 FPS making a beeline down to 30 FPS is very obvious and super jarring. It's that damn double buffer vsync they love so much. If they didn't use that, the drops wouldn't be nearly as severe. At least it'd stay in the high 40s, maybe even 50s. Much more consistent.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
I agree, but they never happen at a point where it matters. They're pretty minor as far as actually play-ability goes.
that's the weird thing about the performance. it happens enough to where it's pretty annoying, and it happens in the weirdest places, but never any time where it matters? it's kind of humorous and hasn't really stopped me from playing though.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Links Awakening though the framerate issues gave me a mild headache. Bought Bloodstained in PS4 to avoid switch issues (backed for switch version). Played Control on PC to avoid performance woes. I see what you're saying here.
Yup. The stuttering is headache inducing. It's really bad.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
People like you constantly buy games on day 1 giving developers absolutely zero incentive to have their games ready at launch. They're gonna get your money anyway.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The LA stuff kinda sucks since performance is the same on portable, meaning they didnt optimize for docked. However, in terms of slowdown its not worse than a AAA SNES game, as far as the experience goes (meaning its mostly fine except when there's a lot of shit)

I like this comparison. I grew up with NES/SNES games so minor performance issues simply aren't a big deal to me. I know we've come a long way, etc. but meh.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Control is fine now.

I'm also been waiting in Bloodstained, but now it's on GamePass I might just play it on XB1

I'm too big of a Zelda fan to wait for the patch for it, will play it as soon as I get back home

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, it's quite bad. It drops very frequently in the open world, and in the dungeons when more than a regular amount of stuff is going on. It's very jarring.

Dumbest thing I have read today on Era. Congrats!

Nah, your post is dumber. It's very reasonable to not rush to buy games on day 1 and wait for impressions. It's pretty much the responsible way to go about things if you're not blinded by FOMO and marketing hype.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Control is already patched. The update released a few days after ps4.

Not sure on the X but on the Pro is better than before, still not perfect but better.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really hoping LA gets a patch. Watching the Giant Bomb quick look gave me a headache, but I'd love to play it I'd they iron out the framerate issues.

I've bought a few games with the expectation that they would have their issues patched. Cites Skylines, Manticore, Lego Worlds, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Now I just wait for the patches to hit before I bother. It's nice when devs deliver (Pinball FX3 on the Switch being a shining example), but I've been burned too many times.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
I like this comparison. I grew up with NES/SNES games so minor performance issues simply aren't a big deal to me. I know we've come a long way, etc. but meh.

I agree with you overall though. I want to try Control and I dont even trust the lastest patch notes

I wish I could see how some of them would react to true horror like super ghouls n ghosts on SNES. Maybe a little like this
IFM8mbo.gif

Don't get me wrong though would love to see LA get patched to be buttery smooth

Oct 25, 2017
Bring on the performance gripes I say.

When the new consoles launch and there's a choice between rickety builds of the un-stress-tested newest titles and nothing to play, I'm certain we'll see a lot of these same complaints.

Right?

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I can understand being disappointed in a games performance but not playing a game (especially a good game) is a pretty over the top reaction.

How did you handle playing games in past generations OP? Some of the best games are plagued with frame rate and performance issues.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Control's first patch vastly improved things, even on my base PS4.

Link's Awakening is such a bummer. I remember being wary of the issues from the very first footage, and I can't believe it wasn't fixed for release. I seriously doubt we're going to get a patch. The game sold like gangbusters and reviewed well, there's almost no incentive for them to do so. I know BOTW got a patch, but that was also a game they were working on and selling DLC for, they needed it in good shape.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstained will probably be patched when the Japanese version launches in October. I doubt they'll fix all the issues with the Switch version, though.

I doubt Link's Awakening's framerate will get fixed. It was like that in June and they didn't fix it.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Let me clarify all the "Control was patched" posts. The game is not light years from where it was before. If you pause the game you will encounter 3 seconds of slide show upon unpausing. The map frequently doesn't fully open right away, and forget navigating while it's open because the frame rate tanks. Also, in certain sections, if too many enemies are on screen and you're using the charge gun, the frame rate will dip low.

Now all that said, the majority of the game was very smooth for me and it ended up being an incredible experience. The sustained drops did very much improve post patch, but can still crop up. The pause and map issues do suck though.

Oct 26, 2017
Control's first patch vastly improved things, even on my base PS4.

Link's Awakening is such a bummer. I remember being wary of the issues from the very first footage, and I can't believe it wasn't fixed for release. I seriously doubt we're going to get a patch. The game sold like gangbusters and reviewed well, there's almost no incentive for them to do so. I know BOTW got a patch, but that was also a game they were working on and selling DLC for, they needed it in good shape.
BotW would've sold gangbusters, with or without patches. I'd say a patch for Link's Awakening is by no means unlikely. Plenty of Nintendo games get patched. That being said, I do find issues to be a bit overblown. I found games like Bloodborne to be much worse in that respect and there are beloved games like The Witcher 3 that don't exactly run perfectly on consoles. Really, for most, it'll be noticeable but not a deal breaker

how can they eff up LA a game that looks brought up from the 3DS engine of ALBW
It by no means looks like it's using the 3DS engine. What on Earth?

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening's performance is really bad but you shouldn't let that stop you! It's incredible!