• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
This is why I like the Yakuza games, all the protagonists outside of Y0 and Haruka are 29 or older.

And yeah for Final Fantasy games you just sort of have to assume all the characters are like 5+ years older than they are. The characters/stories usually don't even make sense if they were actually teenagers.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it makes it any better, 17 is basically the equivalent to 18 years old to us in Japan.
Its why adult link is often actually just 17

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Auron's only 35?! Da fuq, I'm only a few years from that. Damn.......

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The moment when you see that you are older Auron.

giphy.gif

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I already learned just ignore characters' official ages in jrpgs, unless maybe it's something where they're actually relevant, like Persona. I tend to add them 5 or so years in my head.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Auron's age gets me every time, lol. On a good day, I'd still get carded for smokes (I quit thank god) when I was 35.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I already learned just ignore characters' official ages in jrpgs, unless maybe it's something where they're actually relevant, like Persona. I tend to add them 5 or so years in my head.
Yeah, this is my go-to as well.

I've think it's pretty safe to internalize official ages as another faucet of marketing at this point. There is no other reason for characters to be so rediculously young other then for them to be more "relatable" and more attractive to the young (and even older...) playerbase.

It tends to be less outstated in western media since it's not as much of an interesting factor, and people project themselves onto the character's a little differently, but it's something much more consistently seen in Japanese games.

Auron was 35 in his youth with Braska, and ended up roughly ten years older by the time he's a party member in FFX. I refuse to believe otherwise, other then maybe him being a little younger and just aging harder.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing about Auron.
If you look at him in flashbacks he actually looks his age so maybe you can assume "35" at the time of his death.

But that would also means that he's still physically aging despite being dead.

Being an unsent who died of old age must be hell.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Offtopic, but smiling Squall is creepy af haha

Some are older than i thought tbh, like Barret.

Cecil would probably be arrested for bringing Palom and Porom to a montain full of zombies. Not mentioning how a 6yo girl lives alone with Moogles in a deserted village in FFIX.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I'm playing ff12 right now. Balthier is 35, basche is 37+, Fran is presumably like 50+ because of her race?
I don't want to know how wrong I am.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This gets me for pretty much all "anime" games I play, i always end up finding out later that characters are alot younger than whats actually going on.

Tidus being only 17 does fit in with MY fantasy.

Who lets a 17 year old be on a pro sports team??

You what love?
17 - 18 is like the perfect time to snatch up talent. Youve already been training them since 14, its just time to sign the contract
By the time theyre 20 - 25 they should be an absolute beast but still wet behind the ears
30 - 35 Expereince plus talent they are now effectively gods of their sports.

Both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are under 35 and have both been playing at a professional level for over 15 years

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The grizzled, cantankerous veteran in my avatar is 32 years old.

Ages in Final Fantasy are hilarious.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Isn't this also a Japanese "trope" where anyone over 30 is old? Which is hilarious by itself because surely the developers themselves were 30+?

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just realized I am closer to Cid's age than Cloud's, yet I look younger than the latter lol

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
As an aside, I always thought that this was one of the challenges FF faced as it became more popular and as its developers became older. It transitioned from being a young, upstart series that was the underdog (versus Dragon Quest) to a hugely successful behemoth made by older people, past all that.

I think this is most visible in FF13, where the storylines that work are Lightning coming to terms with being a big sister figure to Hope, and Sazh and his search for his son. I feel like these end up working better than the rest in large part because the people writing and directing the game are fathers and authority figures themselves now, whereas the more typical hero's journey stuff with Snow and the like falls flat, because they're sort of over that?

FF15 for all its faults sort of remedies this by primarily being about friendship, responsibility and the balance between the two, all of which are things adults juggle and care about daily.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that FF is sort of like a punk rock band that is the same and yet must change as its creators age from young upstarts to elder statesmen, and its popularity shifts from an upstart kicking back against the status quo to being the status quo.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
I've angered the sports fans.

I knew lots of tennis players started young but I don't think it was as common in team sports.

I stand corrected!

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
There's a line an NPC says to Cloud, calls him "old man," thought that was amusing back in the day because dude's 21 (or 23 apparently).

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I love that they're young. It kinda makes you feel like you're growing them up through the course of the game. I think Tidus is the best example of what I mean. You can't really accomplish that jumpbif they're too young or too old. It wouldn't be as pronounced.

Nov 17, 2017
I mean moving out and living out on your own will do that. Compare it to our world, where kids that leave home at 18 or younger and get jobs to young adults still with their parents. You'll see an obvious difference in real world exp. And maturity. Well usually.

Sky pirating ages you quick I would assume lol.
That's true and we see them from the perspective of Vaan which enhances that.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Even at 21 Cloud is painted as this Ex Soldier veteran merc who's seen shit.

I literally just ignore the cannon ages now.

Last edited:

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I like it. Most other AAA Western games are always old rugged men, it gets way too tiring, I much much rather have my pretty bishounen.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
JRPGs worship the power of youth and innocence. With 15 you are still fit to save the world. With 30 it is time to retire, you creepy, old geezer.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how Auron looks and behaves like he's in his 50s or 60s, even has grey hair and shit, but he's actually only 35 and he's been dead for ten years too. Jecht is just as weird. He's meant to be in his mid-30s too but he looks like he's in his 40s easy.

Japan has always held a weird belief that when you hit 25 you're officially an old fart.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah I don't understand it at all. Not to mention these characters act far older than anyone I have ever seen at those ages. Yuna and Tidus are 17? Ridiculous stuff. I'm glad these games usually don't explicitly talk about their ages because that would make it worse.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Age is basically meaningless to be honest, the characters by and large act and feel like they're far older than their age, so it's not really a point of contention for me. Hope is the only character i can remember whose adolescence is relevant to the story, and his growing out of it.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the reason Vaan exists in FF12. The Square-enix execs didn't think the game would sell in Japan with such "old" main characters so they shoehorned him in and slapped him on the box.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
The XV bros (outside of Noctis) look like they were developed as 40 year olds and then someone just slapped an arbitrary age on their profile

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Auron being 35 and Sephiroth being 25 (even just in terms of biological age) are both hilarious.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i hate when everyone is the kid of some CEO or some nobility, a prodigy with a long list of accomplishments. Cramming all of this into one character seems perfectly acceptable. Then they spend the whole game fawning over each other like its nothing. -Trails of- series is a big culprit here too. It's unbearable.

yes, this is good.