• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 14, 2017
I have a Mac, an iPhone, an iPad, Switch, Xbox One X, and PS4 Pro.

What version on which of these systems has a version worth playing over the others? Is the iOS version good?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The recent versions are superior in QoL features, plus new translations and the extra FFVIA content. The issue is that they overdid the beautiful sprite work of the original.

If you have an Intel Mac, my recommendation is getting the Steam version with the 16bit graphics mod. That's probably your best legal option. You will need Windows, tho. Not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze there.

Other most accessible legal option would be getting a SNES classic. It has the original SNES ROM there.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd get the Steam version because it'll let you mod out the godawful new sprites they created and restore the SNES ones, but with a new translation and Quality of Life features.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
play the SNES or GBA version (with a music patch for the latter). If you don't want to go through the effort, you will have to play the sub-par remaster that is available in the platforms you mentioned.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend playing on an SNES emulator. There are minor issues:. M.Block bug, spells not having modern FF spell names, but overall it's still the best version with a charming translation that has been mostly lost with modern ports. It has the best visuals, the best music, and controls the best.

Since you only have a Mac, you won't be able to mod the game using Project Atma Weapon so I'm unsure how easy it will be to get a good experience. If you have Windows on your Mac though, maybe look into the Steam version.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SNES is the best version. GBA has a few extra summons or whatever that aren't really worth it as the game's graphics and music are both worse than in the original. Mobile/Steam is horrible.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
Are there any mods in the pc version that restore the original visuals?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Snes version. GBA has some extra content, but it doesn't look or sound as good as the original, even with patches.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
The iOS version is awful unfortunately. For your platforms the best choice is to emulate the SNES version on mac, and use the Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition romhack to clean up the bugs and some of the translation issues while still getting close to the original experience. It's a great restoration.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Are there any mods in the pc version that restore the original visuals?
Partially. You can restore the original character sprites and adjust some of the UI elements which I think goes a long way.
PY6NBqK.jpg

Some of my screenshots from the steam version using the Atma Weapon mod. Idk how compatible it is with Mac though.
FYI that battle menu UI is a setting in the in-game options.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I'm finding it for cheap on ebay. Maybe make a project out of it and get an SNES working at home.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Pc port with the Atma weapon multimod is great, very easy to install too.
It has some QoL improvements like the hint button so you know where to go next, auto battle(repeats your last command input), you can zoom in/out the world map.
No exactly game chaning stuff but it's useful, especially the hint button.
The mod gives the option to use the orchestra ost too, which is awesome.
The inventory/battle ui is different from the original but it's not that big of a deal, unless you're a purist.

Jan 10, 2018
I played the iOS version of the game a couple of years back. I hold no nostalgia for FFVI and I barely know how the original looks. I had zero issues with the visuals and I didn't hear about the complaints until I finished the game.

Of all the problems I had with the game (I didn't like it very much) the visuals were at the bottom of my list.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'll second SNES Classic. If you can find one at this point. I had the PlayStation version about 20 years ago and it was good too as it was just the SNES version. But I'd think that would be less accessible.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Echoing the SNES Classic. Just see it as buying FFVI and then all the other games are a bonus.

Play FFVI. It's the best FF, and I don't say that through nostalgia (I didn't start playing FF games till FFVII and actually only played FFVI for the first time a couple of years ago).

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Played the SNES version last year for the first time and had no problems. Was a great time

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Modded Steam version. Honestly no reason to play any other version outside of the original SNES version (to get the original vibe), unless you want to play handheld I guess.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I still can't believe how much they fucked up V and VI for iOS/Android. Absolutely horrendous looking games.

Odd considering how great of a job they did with the PSP ports (I, II and IV).

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm still in disbelief as how much they fucked up V and VI for iOS/Android. Absolutely horrendous looking games.

Odd considering how great of a job they did with the PSP ports (I, II and IV).

Seeing what they did with the Dragon Quest 1-3 ports on Switch, Playstation etc, it really seems they have NO qualms about absolutely butchering their games. They took the sprites and artwork and applied some kind of junior high microsoft paint filter to crap them all up. It's just unthinkable to me they could take games with glorious sprites and just trash them.

I mean... good lord.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Play it emulated and patched on PC with cheats to help you level up faster. forgot the names of the patch.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I played the GBA version, maybe that's why I really didn't care about the visuals at all. Might give it a replay on an SNES emulator.