• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 2ds since 2014 and despite updates claiming to improve stability, I never noticed any meaningful gain in performances, loading time, time to start up,etc....If those updates really try to improve stability, why don't we notice any positive effect? If itis about piracy why not be frank and tell the truth?I tend to find those updates pointless because they don't make the experience beter , despite what the description claims.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"stability" would imply they claim the patches make the game crash less (and maybe have less bugs in general) not perform better.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Your system/games not crashing is your gain in performance. That's what stability is.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
"Stability" doesn't necessary mean much of anything, it's just what they say when they don't want to share actual details.
Most likely it's fixing rare crashes and patching security issues.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
no but by definition a game shouldn't crash on a console I believe. I also did not notice more or less crashes before updates and they don't specify which games are impacted by updates stability wise.

Your definition is wrong and games crash all the time on consoles for a variety of reasons, firmware updates for consoles often address issues that can cause crashes when the software isn't necessarily at fault (Game patches usually resolve the other kind of crash).

Modern computing devices are incredibly complex.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
stability updates just update stuff like the browser, or bluray keys and patch any kind of exploits.
think of them as maintnence updates

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
well a console is supposed to be something simple and intuitive which people pick to not bother about issues like crashes. While I agree nowadays it becomes more complex I still think a console should be less prone to bugs and crashes.I guess that expectation disappeared starting from ps3/360 generation.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Do you notice every time your console doesn't fall?

Video game consoles contain a variety of components. Every time a specific component is updated (eg. new drivers) it becomes ever so slightly heavier or lighter depending on the entity of the update. "Stability updates" add or remove code to the other components so that the weight distribution is even.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
The stability updates are just so they don't have to say "we fixed so-and-so exploits so you can't run homebrew anymore"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well a console is supposed to be something simple and intuitive which people pick to not bother about issues like crashes. While I agree nowadays it becomes more complex I still think a console should be less prone to bugs and crashes.I guess that expectation disappeared starting from ps3/360 generation.
you expectations has never been realistic

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nevermind all the engineering that goes into these consoles so that you can have such an opinion that it is simple and intuitive.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
I think they are talking reality here, not "what it's supposed to be"

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
no but by definition a game shouldn't crash on a console I believe. I also did not notice more or less crashes before updates and they don't specify which games are impacted by updates stability wise.

Modern Warfare Xbox One crashing issue 'identified' by Infinity Ward

OP you didn't bother to check for 10 seconds what 'Stability' Means, then acted like the updates are completely useless.

Even outside of the realm of Bugfixing, Devs use 'Stability' as a codeword for "Something we added but it's not out yet so shh."

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's because it's so stable that you can't notice...
giphy.gif

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
A console is a computer that has minimal customization options for its user interface and only allows specific types of software

nothing about that prevents any bugs or crashes, it just prevents you the end user from doing (or having to do) anything too complicated

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Modern game consoles use software operating systems so could very well get patches that improve stability, fix bugs in the OS. However, on 3DS most of those were patching security issues. Technically this can improve "stability" because running code not approved by Nintendo (pirated or homebrew code) could be more crash-prone. But as others said, Nintendo just in general uses that term when they don't want to talk about the changes - whether it's preparation for an upcoming feature, something technical the average consumer wouldn't understand or care about, blocking an exploit that could lead to piracy, or removing a cool harmless easter egg discovered in the OS.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

When several people politely explain something you seem to be misunderstanding, which does answer your original question (the premise of this thread), don't be petulant and argue with them. It makes it seem like you don't want an actual answer.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I have a 2ds since 2014 and despite updates claiming to improve stability, I never noticed any meaningful gain in performances, loading time, time to start up,etc....If those updates really try to improve stability, why don't we notice any positive effect? If itis about piracy why not be frank and tell the truth?I tend to find those updates pointless because they don't make the experience beter , despite what the description claims.
Stability is not performance

Stability are bug fixes, crash fixes, etc. You don't see them because you don't notice all of the times your games don't crash.

Stability updates are behind-the-scenes patches and fixes that are crucial to maintaining a healthy and stable (get it?) platform, they are far from pointless just because you don't understand how they work or what they do.
That's not true "by definition" or otherwise. No game "should" glitch out or crash anywhere, but they sometimes do, because that's the nature of software, and consoles have nothing to do with it.

In other words:
qGhiEIe.gif