• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
To be fair, him de-leveling the player is a spectacularly shitty mechanic that I'm glad the series quickly did away with. Playing the remake made me realize just how much superior Dark Souls is in almost every way thanks in large part to the small but significant QoL changes.

It brought nice memories of despair from levelling down in EQ and FFXI though.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Congrats
He managed to take 8 levels from me in one attempt
I then found out he really doesn't like arrows and I was a dex build with a +5 sticky compound longbow

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Well, I did it! I beat my first Souls/Soulslike game! Whoa, that world 5 was tough, but the bosses fell down rather quickly. I started the NG and played a bit - I may get back to it. And I'm definitely getting Elden Ring now :)

Thanks again to everyone who helped me on this journey :) Finale Fireworker, Morrigan, Sanctuary and everyone else. It was quite a ride. And to think I actually finished Demon's Souls before Miles Morales. The plan was always just to see how far I could go, I never thought I'd go all the way to the end.

I look forward to new games of this kind. There will be more Eternal Voidslurpers to slay. But I will always remember Allant, my first one. Thank you all.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Well, I did it! I beat my first Souls/Soulslike game! Whoa, that world 5 was tough, but the bosses fell down rather quickly. I started the NG and played a bit - I may get back to it. And I'm definitely getting Elden Ring now :)

Thanks again to everyone who helped me on this journey :) Finale Fireworker, Morrigan, Sanctuary and everyone else. It was quite a ride. And to think I actually finished Demon's Souls before Miles Morales. The plan was always just to see how far I could go, I never thought I'd go all the way to the end.

I look forward to new games of this kind. There will be more Eternal Voidslurpers to slay. But I will always remember Allant, my first one. Thank you all.

Gratz! It's been really good to watch you go from frustrated to absolute elation at doing this. Awesome tag too!

Good luck with the next adventure! :)

Aug 10, 2019

Well done man! Are you thinking of doing Bloodborne or Sekiro?

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Welcome to the team. Next thing you know you will have hundreds of hours in the Souls franchise and Sekiro and then you start the likes of Salt & Sanctuary, Nioh and The Surge.

It happened to me. These games are like crack. Once they have you, they really have you.

Last edited:

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just had the most bizarre thing happen after deciding to jump back in to the game today having completed it a week ago. It immediately starts you off in NG+ mode, so I set off at the Gates of Boletaria, with 100K+ souls. I made it quite far before slipping up and dying, only to be brought back right infront of King Allant who just stood there like an NPC.. so I swung away at his health, which appeared like any regular enemy rather than a boss, and after a minute or two, he dyed, I got the 'demon vanquished' notification, and now I have 260K souls and the 1-4 boss defeated before even getting to Phalanx. I returned to the Nexus where the other 4 worlds opened up, and all the subsequent prompts occurred for me to unlock the ability to level up.

20201130-234301.jpg
Did you close the game at any point? Theres a bug where you can do these skips by doing a load trick

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, him de-leveling the player is a spectacularly shitty mechanic that I'm glad the series quickly did away with. Playing the remake made me realize just how much superior Dark Souls is in almost every way thanks in large part to the small but significant QoL changes.
I disagree. Dark Souls had some bs in it too. The forced Curse mechanic in the Duke's Archive was some grade A horse manure. Especially if you don't know how to get rid of it, or are playing it blind with no help. The Tomb of the Giants and that pitch black garbage with the ledges. Anor Londo and the knights that easily knock you off, Lost Izalith, the list goes on. Dark Souls QoL changes were good yes, but better than Demon's Souls? Nah.

Also, congrats OP! Try Bloodborne next. 👍🏻

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree. Dark Souls had some bs in it too. The forced Curse mechanic in the Duke's Archive was some grade A horse manure. Especially if you don't know how to get rid of it, or are playing it blind with no help. The Tomb of the Giants and that pitch black garbage with the ledges. Anor Londo and the knights that easily knock you off, Lost Izalith, the list goes on. Dark Souls QoL changes were good yes, but better than Demon's Souls? Nah.
There is not forced Curse mechanic in the Duke's Archive. There are plenty of ways to die in that encounter that doesn't include getting cursed.

What is shit about it though is that that encounter exists in the first place. No game should have these 'you're supposed to lose' encounters and especially not that late in the game.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is not forced Curse mechanic in the Duke's Archive. There are plenty of ways to die in that encounter that doesn't include getting cursed.

What is shit about it though is that that encounter exists in the first place. No game should have these 'you're supposed to lose' encounters and especially not that late in the game.
Whoa whoa whoa WHAT?! I didn't know that! 🤣

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The de-level mechanic is fine specific to demon's souls, imo. It is the next step up from consumables having weighted consequence like the grass. Which I know is not everyone's favorite, but I like it. By the time you reach Allant grinding a level back out is not going to be any worse than a grass run, and if it is worse then your level is plenty high enough that a few levels in either direction isn't going to be the make or break. Feeling out dodge timing is going to make way more of a difference.

Also the fuck you energy of a boss that can pluck such a precious resource is cool as hell. Loved it then. Love it now.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Deleveling in the King Allant boss fight sounds fine. Annoying, but fine.

I also saw that you delevel though if you die by falling while invading and that's not fine IMO. It's such a harsh punishment if, for instance, you simply time a roll wrong or are kicked off a ledge by the host.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yep, that sounds @Finale Fireworker alright. :)
Quit making me blush.

Congratulations over and over. :) And kudos on the tag too, I love to see that. You are now a legendary hero.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
He pissed me off so much teh first time I cheated and poisonclouded him from afar

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Hey, nice story. Congrats! I suppose you can always try and go back to those you left unfinished. Per you first post you already have Dark Souls III, Bloodborne and Sekiro and those are precisely the ones I like the most due to their more advanced or unique gameplay mechanics. Plus they feature some/most of the best bosses in the series. Keep in mind that Sekiro's final boss could be the hardest challenge in there though. Also, it would make sense to start the Dark Souls series in order, as the mechanics naturally evolved from Demon's Souls (which has untouched mechanics in the remake) and then evolve on their own from there until it branches off to Bloodborne. Sekiro is quite different but still similar enough in many things, as you'll have noticed.

Also, Sekiro and DS3 are 60 fps in ps5, and DS1 remastered and DS2 already were on ps4. So you'll not fight the controls or the engine.

I imagine you have discovered a new thing you love, now that you have achieved something that seemed unreachable before.

One question, do you still think these games need difficulty settings, or rather better tutorials, explanations and/or training mechanics?
I felt Sekiro made you teach yourself how to play really well, but I had played all their other games before, so it probably made a difference in my case.

PS: ONE OF US!! One day you are slowly learning your ways around Boletaria (in my case, a bit before it launched worldwide, with a lent asian version of ps3 Demon's) and then you realized some time has passed and you have Bloodborne and Sekiro's platinum, obtained with a shitty framerate and frame pacing! You'll get there if you want.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
One question, do you still think these games need difficulty settings, or rather better tutorials, explanations and/or training mechanics?
I felt Sekiro made you teach yourself how to play really well, but I had played all their other games before, so it probably made a difference in my case.

It's a tricky one to answer. I don't think difficulty settings are that important as long as there are ways to get through - and they do exist in DS (and I suppose other From games). DS actually does a lot of things really well: like giving you the option to explore a different part of the game and come back later. Also - one huge thing for me was actually hardware-based: no loading between deaths made a really big difference (and was one of the biggest reasons why I gave up on Bloodborne).

However, I've seen Soulslike games where you just get stuck at a certain spot and there's no way around it. There are a lot of factors here and I really think From does an amazing job of balancing things and offering you different paths to success (and, I have a feeling Sekiro was a slight departure in that regard, but I could be wrong). I compare this to spicy food - I like to eat really spicy meals, however, there is that small spot of perfection where things are really spicy that it almost feels too much - but you can get through it with a glass of milk or yoghurt on standby. I really enjoy eating food like that. But go beyond that point and it just becomes torture.

Also I think there are ways to achieve accessibility without reducing difficulty.

But, to give you an answer you're looking for: yeah, I've changed my mind. I don't think all of these games need difficulty settings. Some may still do. But I don't think Demon's Souls does, and I don't think Bloodborne does - and I can assume the same goes for all From games.

As for teaching you how to play - I think this game teaches you some things really well, so does Sekiro. However, a lot of things are just unclear - and I don't honestly know if I could've figured them out on my own without using the Internet. I would never understand how Tendency works on my own, or even how to trade with Sparkly the Crow in Shrine of Storms. Then again, maybe this is intended to be discovered by the community, Demon's Souls was made with an online component, after all. With that said - I think Demon's Souls is good at giving you space to practice your skills before putting them to the test.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Kudos on finishing it. By the end it really gives you a sense of accomplishment and that you feel as if you've been on an epic journey. It's good to break the games up I find, I don't like playing them back to back but love them and end up devouring From's games when they come out. Hopefully you find their other games as fun.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Kudos on finishing it. By the end it really gives you a sense of accomplishment and that you feel as if you've been on an epic journey. It's good to break the games up I find, I don't like playing them back to back but love them and end up devouring From's games when they come out. Hopefully you find their other games as fun.

Thanks! Yeah, if nothing else, looking forward to Elden Ring.

LDigital

Oct 27, 2020
omg, I never noticed that before but you're right, very similar move set!

He's still the boss with the most complicated move set in Demon's, and as a result, easily top 3 most difficult in the game.

I just beat this guy on my second try. I'm not sure what everyone is talking about here. He didn't Have that many moves, was never very aggressive and gave me loads of time with his tells to move away. I'm having more trouble with old hero and maneater than this old fart.
Is there a special mechanic or something I didn't get? What is the link to Flamelurker? He wasn't too bad either. I seem to struggle on the wrong ones

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Beat Allant a few minutes ago. Lost four levels in our first fight, but was thankfully able to put him down for the count at the second time of asking.

I stand on the precipice of finishing the game. I've loved my time time with it. I've enjoyed it a lot more than Bloodborne.

Will post a big beefy story of struggle and triumph when it's all over.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Beat Allant a few minutes ago. Lost four levels in our first fight, but was thankfully able to put him down for the count at the second time of asking.

I stand on the precipice of finishing the game. I've loved my time time with it. I've enjoyed it a lot more than Bloodborne.

Will post a big beefy story of struggle and triumph when it's all over.

Congrats!