• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Souls just clicked for you. The only thing I've found in gaming that compares to the feeling of mastering a souls boss you have struggled on is beating a raid in destiny or an MMO.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Congratulations OP. That feeling of killing a difficult boss after many tries is definitely cathartic.

I personally cannot find joy in these games, but that's just me. Tried Dark Souls remastered and very quickly got fed up with the die, lose everything, try again, repeat philosophy and lack of any sense of what I was supposed to be doing. It seems like such a chore and time commitment I'd rather use to advance in other games instead of repeating the same sequence over and over.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Really proud of you, my good dude. Awesome job sticking with it. I am happy to have helped you get there, but it was always you doing the work!!

I hope your journey inspires other people who worry the games are too difficult for them. The only thing between most players and triumph is persistence. Look at how good it can feel to persevere!

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck?

I don't know if I'll be able to do this knowing that. So in theory after dying I may have to spend hours re-grinding just to get back to the same point?

Throughout my time playing this game I've hit several walls where I think " I can't be bothered to play this game anymore" but I go back to it, get past the wall, feel good, hit another wall and rinse and repeat.

But that mechanic sounds like some real bullshit.

It's the same as the whole the more you die (in human form) the harder the world gets. Did the developers ever comment about the logic in these decisions?

Hours? For most people... no, a single level (or even three) is not going to be hours of grinding. And since your soul level decreases, it'll actually take fewer souls to level up. There's a grinding spot at 4-3 that can easily net you tens of thousands of souls per minute, so you can regain that level in like five minutes, tops. You don't have to be using a special build or have a specific world tendency to take advantage of it, either.

On topic: great job, OP! I think King Allant can be more of a psychological challenge than anything else. He's also the toughest boss in the game if you use magic against Flamelurker.

Darkseid

Oct 27, 2017
Beat him yesterday and lost 6 levels over the course of the 3 times I fought him. Felt bad, but the relief I felt when it was done was the best.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Really proud of you, my good dude. Awesome job sticking with it. I am happy to have helped you get there, but it was always you doing the work!!

I hope your journey inspires other people who worry the games are too difficult for them. The only thing between most players and triumph is persistence. Look at how good it can feel to persevere!

Thank you again for all the help. Really. It meant more than actually defeating the bosses - in a time where going online often brings frustration, this brought pure joy.

But yeah, defeating that boss felt really good. :)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Also now you get to suffer the universal Souls discourse of which bosses were "actually" difficult. It is our curse. There is no getting away from it. But we all suffer each other together.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
King Allant is easy if you've played Dark Souls first. He's basically Ornstein without Smough.
This type of shit is why some people are scared shitless about this and other famous difficult games and then feel like shit when they die to something multiple times an hear from others "it was actually easy".
Stop being that person.

To the OP, congrats my man. I beated dark souls once, suffered a lot and discovered this games are really for me.
I think you are doing something really great, im sure with all the courage you are having you will beat it!

Oct 26, 2017
Do you just lose one level from a random stat or is it worse than that?

You lose them in the order you got them. Which can be really tough if you just reached a level to use a new weapon - now you suddenly can't. But I only had him grab me once, I quickly learned to avoid him when he does the slow glowy bit.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
OP, and for anyone else freaking out over the soul drain spell that de-levels you, don't be too scared. He gives you the souls back after you beat him.

DO NOT spend hours grinding to get those levels back. Just beat the boss.

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats OP!

To echo a similar sentiment, I've bounced off souls games from the start. I keep buying them and eventually just get frustrated. Well this thanksgiving weekend I decided to give it another shot with Dark Souls 3. And it was shitty at first. I died like 7 times on the very first boss. Finally got past him and immediately got stuck in the first area after the shrine, like last time, and almost put it down for good.

But I said I would give it an honest go. After farming a bit, figuring out how to make my weapon better, and accepting that I will never be able to parry and should block and roll I finally made progress. Fast forward to today and I just got past the poison swamp area and that boss was the first I've died on since the beginning. Game finally clicked for me and I'm going to see it through.

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck?

I don't know if I'll be able to do this knowing that. So in theory after dying I may have to spend hours re-grinding just to get back to the same point?

Throughout my time playing this game I've hit several walls where I think " I can't be bothered to play this game anymore" but I go back to it, get past the wall, feel good, hit another wall and rinse and repeat.

It's the same as the whole the more you die (in human form) the harder the world gets. Did the developers ever comment about the logic in these decisions?
You can beat the game with a level 1 character. Losing a level (especially at the late game stage) isn't as devastating as it sounds. It shouldn't take you hours of grinding to get those souls back, even if he soul sucks you a few times. But really you shouldn't need to grind at all. Go through all the first levels in each world, then second level, then arch demons. You should be appropriately levelled. And your overall level is less important than your build. Don't invest in stats you don't need and use weapons/ upgrade paths that match your stats. Blocking with a shield is good, dodging or parrying is better.

Honestly the idea that Demon's Souls is some super hard impossible game creates more of a mental barrier than anything the game throws at you. (Why I always disliked the Dark Souls prepare to die marketing) Don't be afraid of failure. Even dying can be a learning experience. Losing a few thousand souls can seem devastating early on, then you can shrug off losing 100,000 in the late game.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
I think the first time I played the original Demons Souls I cheesed that fight by sniping him with arrows through the fog gate. You definitely did better.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm maybe half way thru the game, loving it (beaten 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 5-1) but reading the deleveling thing actually makes me want to quit the game even if I'm a ways off.

I understand the attempt at a unique mechanic and I get that's it's probably easy to cheese it (especially with magic) but yeah, I really hate when games devalue my personal time.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
And I did it. I killed the old fuck. I fucking did it.

I yelled in excitement - so much that my wife thought I was crazy. I don't think I've ever felt this way about a game.

Ahh, there it is. Good job and welcome to the club!

I started out with Dark Souls so I didn't play much of Demon's Souls back in the day, a friend owned it so I only dabbled a bit. I've beaten Dark Souls 1-3, Sekiro and Bloodborne and I would say that the bosses in Demon's are all pretty easy. But not surprised since it's the first game in the series.

Had some trouble with Flamelurker but mostly because of my shitty weapon I decided to go with which made the fight way longer than it needed to be, did a blind playthrough so I didn't know all the ins and outs.

I'd say Allant, Flamelurker and Maneater are the ones to look out for. Most of the difficulty/annoyance comes from the levels and not having bonfires along the way, but sometimes you unlock a shortcut.

Good luck with the rest.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
King Allant is easy if you've played Dark Souls first. He's basically Ornstein without Smough.

omg, I never noticed that before but you're right, very similar move set!

He's still the boss with the most complicated move set in Demon's, and as a result, easily top 3 most difficult in the game.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I played Bloodborne back in 2015. It was my first Souls game, liked it a lot up until Blood Starved Beast and just couldn't beat it. Spent two weeks fighting it and just couldn't do it. I dropped the game then.

I decided to restart the game from the beginning there last week. Got up to BSB and was determined to beat it. I died mate 6/7 times but eventually beat it. It was such a huge thrill. Managed to beat Amelia in one go after that. I think I'm finally starting to love the game and I've bought DS1-3 on Steam for when I finish this.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
You never beat a souls game? How did you get past man-eaters? I beat all the souls games and Bloodborne and I'm stuck.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
People are getting scared of the soul sucking but it's not really all that relevant. It's scary as fuck because it breaks your comfort with the reliability of the numbers, but by and large at that point in the game if you lose two or three levels you're hardly made less capable of actually beating the rest of the game or this specific boss. It's mostly just the scare, which works all the time because it really is about taking away the most reliable thing in RPGs, the idea that levels only move forward, and that you can rest knowing that things don't go down. This is honestly one of the best things about Demon's Souls and i love that they never did it again because it's so unexpected and harsh for every new player. It's honestly the endgame of the whole game trying to one up RPG expectations.

But, in practice, as so many things in Souls, it's just the scare and anxiety, by that point you are probably very very skilled in timings and dodges and in not being greedy that it has very little effect on your ability to beat him.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
You never beat a souls game? How did you get past man-eaters? I beat all the souls games and Bloodborne and I'm stuck. Wtf?

There's a secret in that arena.

there's a way to hide from them

you can hide from them by the stairs and get them off their guard and wail on them

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Now you understand the feeling, now you understand why an easy mode isn't necessary. You've passed the wall and can now enjoy Souls games.

As others have already stated, you've beaten all the hardest bosses now. The rest should be much easier. Although some of the remaining levels are kinda difficult.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Great job OP. Also, I thought he was the final boss, I forgot that you could visit him early.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck?

FWIW I never got de-leveled in the PS5 remake but got de-leveled twice on PS3. The key is very simple--don't be a dumbass and linger close to his face. Do your damage and get out of the way.

And as for the logic, it's about increasing the challenge so overcoming it is all the more rewarding. It's to test you, your skills, and your ability to adapt as the world is suffocating you.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hah, I knew someone would say "it's easy". Well, nothing in this game is easy for me. And I never played Dark Souls, only DS III - and not much of it. I have no idea who Ornstein is or Smough. I tried to explain why this was so tough for me.
I beat Dark Souls and I still found Allant quite a challenge(no he's not Ornstein and Smough hard, but he isn't "easy") so don't worry about that guy.

Also that soul drain attack is the most punishing mechanic in the entire Souls franchise, thank God From never brought that back in future titles

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
This is weird because I beat him on my first try and tbh the last bosses in Demon's souls seemed all pretty easy. This said, I'm so happy you did it.

These games can be extremely subjective in terms of difficulty and what is easy to me or you may be extremely difficult to someone else and that's part of why they are so fascinating.

Mar 31, 2020
Congrats OP, this is exactly what the Souls games are all about. I grew up with an NES, it was my first introduction to gaming outside of the quarter arcades at the bowling alley, and when you died in those games you typically had to start over from the very beginning. Not just restart the level, but start the entire game from the very beginning where it would take all you could muster just to make it back to the place where you died. lt was brutal but the sense of accomplishment from finally overcoming that which seemed impossible countless times before, is one of the best feelings in gaming and one that hasn't been replicated much since.

Whether it's the first goomba you run into in SMB that can kill you instantly or the first enemy you run into in a Souls game that can kill you instantly, the premise has you dialed in from the jump and you know you'll need to be on your A game. It's sets the tone for the game, the world you're in. You're not some demi god where most of the enemies you encounter are just fodder for your blade and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's this similarity between Souls, and the NES games of yore that made me fall in love with gaming in the first place, and one that has contributed to FROM and their games being some of my favorites of all time.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That funny feeling you got is a sense of being rewarded for effort.

This is why the series is special and what almost all of the rest of modern gaming is not.

So I guess sorry for your loss of being able to enjoy the rest of the garbage that is the game industry.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Just a note about the deleveling thing. I believe the souls of that level are added to your bloodstain, if you die in the same fight. So they are not necessarily gone forever. Now if he hits you with it AND you beat him, I think you're shit outta luck. Lousy mechanic overall, but ever so slightly less garbage than it appears on the surface.

In any case, grats to the OP in over overcoming or me of the bigger boss challenges in the game. Pushing yourself to get over those obstacles is part of what makes the experience worth it.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Demon's Souls is the most frustrating out of all souls games because in ever other souls game the boss battle is at most 1 minute away from the bonfire but not in Demon's Souls. You have to get past hoards of enemies to reach most of the bosses.

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations, OP! That's a great story.

And I have a feeling that the final boss will hit you just right going by what you went through, emotionally. Please tell us what you think of the final boss once you finish the game.

I shall await thine return, Slayer of Demons.

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
And it feels good. It feels really good.

Thanks to everyone who helped. You are true demon slayers.

Big congratulations and I definitely know that great feel! The feel of conquering something you thought impossible at first.
You have truly experienced the insane magic of the Souls game. I believe now you understand why these games would just not be the same with an 'easy mode'.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Congrats! I myself just beat Maneater last night. I remember him giving me so many issues in the original but he was more manageable this time. Still, felt damn good to overcome him late last night.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I beat DeS on PS3 back in the day and didn't know he can de-level you.

I'm basically on his doorstep now so that's pretty valuable info.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
King Allant is my fondest memory of the orignial game because I also had a huge fistpump moment where I finally defeated him. It seemed impossible at first but somehow I did it. I think that's when the game really "clicked" for me and I knew I wanted more of that feeling of accomplishment.